HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Mike Rosati: "For a one-game showdown, Montreal goalie Carey Price is your man"

Old
04-20-2011, 04:07 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

vCash: 500
Mike Rosati: "For a one-game showdown, Montreal goalie Carey Price is your man"

Nice little article:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-your-man.html

Quote:
At one point, I came across a poll on a national sports network that asked: which NHL goalie would you like to have in net for a one-game, take-all situation?

Without staying tuned in to see whom our nation voted for, I had made up my mind: Carey Price.
Quote:
If it came down to one game and Price was my goalie, I’d be feeling pretty good about my chances.
It's nice to see Carey getting some recognition.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:19 PM
Chuck Lefley*

He has been very good lately. I have a hard time thinking he will have a second game in a row where he is victimized by a fluke goal (Horton) and a goal caused directly by his own hands (Peverley).

He is making the big saves (breakaways, very hot glove hand).

If he was letting in the quality of goal that Thomas is letting in....I would worry.

This year's playoff performance will set a new threshold for Price: the franchise goalie who can steal games and bring the team supreme confidence.

Chuck Lefley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:27 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
On any given night, he can be the best player on the ice. That can be said about many goalies though. Price just does it often.

InglewoodJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:45 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Based on this season alone, it's no surprise. Without Carey, dealing with all the injuries this team went through, Habs aren't even a playoff team.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
On any given night, he can be the best player on the ice. That can be said about many goalies though. Price just does it often.
Price is excellent. But as mentioned there are alot of great goalies atm. Lundqvist, Miller just to name a couple in the East.

I don`t know how Thomas has such a good GAA. He flops around more then any goalie in the league, his technique is flawed and yet...

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:51 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
Price is excellent. But as mentioned there are alot of great goalies atm. Lundqvist, Miller just to name a couple in the East.

I don`t know how Thomas has such a good GAA. He flops around more then any goalie in the league, his technique is flawed and yet...
Same reason Theodore had a 30-7-7 record last season. Having the gift of being on a team that scores a whole lot of goals. Boston finished in the top 5 for total goals scored with 244 and first in the NHL for 5-on-5 goals, with 177. Besides that, their defense was pretty good too.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:51 PM
habtastic

No doubt about it, but we can't expect him to stop attempts like the first goal last game even though he does make those routinely cuz he's so good. No odd man rushes and heightened awareness around the crease.

More importantly- SCORE!

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 05:11 PM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

Boy do we love our Carey!
Lets hope we love him for another 10-15 years...

Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 05:20 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Price needs to stand on his head for Habs to win this game

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 05:41 PM
habsjunkie2*

I've been hard on Price in the past, but I gotta say with the year he put in this year, it's kinda hard to argue.

After watching Timmy Thomas look like an echler I'm glad we have Price. How Thomas ever flopped his way to the best SV % ever is beyond me. Every shot looks like an adventure for Timmy.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 07:28 PM
wedge

I'd probably take Miller or Lundqvist before Price for one game.

He'll get there but right now, there are goalies that are more proven than him.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Shadyone33

I think Carey is going to have to play his biggest game yet this playoffs tomorrow. Boston is going to come HARD at the beginning. It's going to be big for Carey because the pressure will be on obviously with how the series is right now...A chance to go up 3-1, but the pressure of playing big in front of the home town crowd will be there as well. I can't wait to see the game tomorrow and if Price plays real well tomorrow and goes on to win this series playing as dominant as he was in the 1st two games we can say that Carey has ARRIVED!

Shadyone33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 08:44 PM
FROMSHORETOCHARA

Price has been fabulous except for flubs in Game 3 and really good all year. 72 games played, pretty damn impressive. Lead league in wins (tied) and had good goalie stats, despite playing behind less than stellar habs d-corp (minus georges and of course markov).

IMO, and obviously I am biased, I think the bruins have the much better team excluding goaltending.

Price REALLY needs to outplay Thomas for habs to win. TT doesn't need to outplay Price, he just needs to stop gagging and choking like he has and play well.

Price was brillaint in game 1 and 2, outplaying TT by a large margin....habs won.

Both goalies made big mistakes in game 3 and habs lost.

Lots of pressure on price, I think he continues to respond admirably and probably outplaying TT but I also do think TT tightens his game up putting a lot of pressure on Price to be perfect.

Not a troll, just a conclusion, I say Price while playing great falls just short and bruins prevail in 7.

Not exactly breaking newsw but I agree with the obvious, 1st goal in game 4 huge, Thomas is much much better when he gets ahead, he can get shaky after early goal. An early goal for Bruins that then helps get TT's confidence back could be deadly for habs.

We'll see, either way it is gonna be a heck of a ride and someone is going to be very disappointed.

FROMSHORETOCHARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 02:33 AM
Miller Time

I didn't see any b's games this season outside of the ones vs the habs...

but if TT looks like this even part of the time (and while his regular season stats are impressive, in this series he's bee subpar and yet his stats aren't bad... 2.38 gaa, .915 sv %), I will be very interested to see what the Vezina voting looks like.

I imagine at least a few voters might be swayed to give more credit to guys like Price, Lundqvist, Rinne.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people in the hockey world feel similar to this about Price. He carried this team in a way that very few goalies in the league could, including Thomas.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 02:36 AM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROMSHORETOCHARA View Post
I think the bruins have the much better team excluding goaltending.
O rly?

Maybe in the regular season..

Montreal has the better playoff team EVEN with all the injuries. More experience, and PROVEN WINNERS.

And it's going to show when Montreal dusts off the bruins in 6 games at the Bell Center.

See you Thursday night, buddy.

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 02:43 AM
slimkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
I didn't see any b's games this season outside of the ones vs the habs...

but if TT looks like this even part of the time (and while his regular season stats are impressive, in this series he's bee subpar and yet his stats aren't bad... 2.38 gaa, .915 sv %), I will be very interested to see what the Vezina voting looks like.

I imagine at least a few voters might be swayed to give more credit to guys like Price, Lundqvist, Rinne.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people in the hockey world feel similar to this about Price. He carried this team in a way that very few goalies in the league could, including Thomas.
Vezina Trophy is a regular season trophy, btw. Beating the SV% guarantees him the Vezina. And he's probably going to end up in the top 5 for the Hart trophy.

slimkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 05:30 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

This is hardly a revelation, to me, from Rosati. Hell, one could have made an argument of this kind last year, or even at times during the year before. "Problem" is, that the season is 82 games long, and a playoff series is at least 4 (or 16 to go all the way). That's the major step in development Price has made this year: extended consistency above the bar of "average". And not just minute to minute, or period to period anymore; game to game, week to week, month to month. I say he has gone from simply being a "great option for a one game showdown" to a "great option for a 7 game series, or a season".

Of course, that isn't a revelation to any of you around here either, but whatevs.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 08:08 AM
neofury*

Price is a real competitor. When it comes to big name games, he shows up. Obviously he still needs a good team to back him up, now a days you won't get far in the NHL without good defense even with a good goalie, Burke knows this well and I don't doubt Gauthier does too.

I agree though, he's clutch and he's proven prior to the NHL how clutch he is, in the NHL he's proven it on occasion but obviously lacks some consistency so far. This season he's been consistent but I'd like to see how far he can take us into the post season and how well he'll do next year.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 09:27 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
O rly?

Maybe in the regular season..

Montreal has the better playoff team EVEN with all the injuries. More experience, and PROVEN WINNERS.

And it's going to show when Montreal dusts off the bruins in 6 games at the Bell Center.

See you Thursday night, buddy.
why do you have to tempt Karma?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Frankenheimer

Not to be a contrarian, because I love Price and think he's had an MVP year, but what evidence is there that he's the best goalie in a "winner take all situation"? His record in elimination games doesn't show that, yet. Not sure why people want to put so much pressure and unreasonable expectations on the guy. Many other goalies have demonstrated a capacity to come up huge in elimination games, but Price is not one of them yet. To me, the best goalie in a winner take all situation has to be the goalie that plays best in precisely that situation, that is, in an elimination situation. Whoever has the best record in the league in that context to me would be the best goalie to have in a winner take all, no?

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 11:39 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
This is hardly a revelation, to me, from Rosati. Hell, one could have made an argument of this kind last year, or even at times during the year before. "Problem" is, that the season is 82 games long, and a playoff series is at least 4 (or 16 to go all the way). That's the major step in development Price has made this year: extended consistency above the bar of "average". And not just minute to minute, or period to period anymore; game to game, week to week, month to month. I say he has gone from simply being a "great option for a one game showdown" to a "great option for a 7 game series, or a season".

Of course, that isn't a revelation to any of you around here either, but whatevs.
Yeah I agree, I think what he's trying to say isn't that he wouldn't trust Price in a 7 game series, but rather that if it comes down to the 7th game, you better be prepared to play one of the more clutch goaltenders in the league.

When Price has lost big games, except for that anomaly season, it's almost always been as a result of a battered team or piss poor play on the teams part, the fault was definitely not Price's on his own. One thing I have noticed though, this year when Price gives up a weak goal, it's an actual event. In the past he used to give them up often enough, now.... I rarely see a goal where I think to myself "Price should've had that one". When you have a goalie who rarely gives up weak goals, maybe now and then makes mistakes playing the puck but is steadily improving, with his list of achievements already so far, you know you've got yourself a gem or at the very least a possible gem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
Not to be a contrarian, because I love Price and think he's had an MVP year, but what evidence is there that he's the best goalie in a "winner take all situation"? His record in elimination games doesn't show that, yet. Not sure why people want to put so much pressure and unreasonable expectations on the guy. Many other goalies have demonstrated a capacity to come up huge in elimination games, but Price is not one of them yet. To me, the best goalie in a winner take all situation has to be the goalie that plays best in precisely that situation, that is, in an elimination situation. Whoever has the best record in the league in that context to me would be the best goalie to have in a winner take all, no?
I think it was more of a prediction on the writers behalf, somewhat like saying "if I had to choose any goalie for a 1 game tourny, game 7, etc, it would be Price the way he's been playing lately".

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 01:10 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimkay View Post
Vezina Trophy is a regular season trophy, btw. Beating the SV% guarantees him the Vezina. And he's probably going to end up in the top 5 for the Hart trophy.
i get that, i'm just questioning wether or not the voters will look solely at the stats, or wether they'll vote based on what they've actually seen/how good the goalie was (as opposed to how good the team in front of him made him look).

and again, i didn't see nearly enough of Thomas's play to have much of an opinion about his level of play (outside of the impressive stats), but his play vs the habs all regular season certainly didn't stand out to me as Vezina-worthy (at least not ahead of Price, Lundqvist, Rinne, and Miller).

won't be least bit surprised if Thomas wins on the strength of those amazing stats/

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
i get that, i'm just questioning wether or not the voters will look solely at the stats, or wether they'll vote based on what they've actually seen/how good the goalie was (as opposed to how good the team in front of him made him look).

and again, i didn't see nearly enough of Thomas's play to have much of an opinion about his level of play (outside of the impressive stats), but his play vs the habs all regular season certainly didn't stand out to me as Vezina-worthy (at least not ahead of Price, Lundqvist, Rinne, and Miller).

won't be least bit surprised if Thomas wins on the strength of those amazing stats/
Well, since I assume that no one like, say, Bud Selig or Troy Aikman have votes, it's reasonable to expect that those with a vote have more than just a passing familiarity with all the candidates and likely don't rely entirely on stats at all (although something as monumental as breaking a record is going to bias votes and is obviously derivative of a purely stats argument).

Old
04-21-2011, 01:27 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyone33 View Post
I think Carey is going to have to play his biggest game yet this playoffs tomorrow. Boston is going to come HARD at the beginning. It's going to be big for Carey because the pressure will be on obviously with how the series is right now...A chance to go up 3-1, but the pressure of playing big in front of the home town crowd will be there as well. I can't wait to see the game tomorrow and if Price plays real well tomorrow and goes on to win this series playing as dominant as he was in the 1st two games we can say that Carey has ARRIVED!
I'm pretty sure we'll be hungry too, unlike the first period Monday. If we lose this, we'll have to win at least one more in Boston to advance.

Thomas is having trouble, get some rubber and bodies to the net early!

I'm not worried about Price. He'll keep his game quiet and keep us in it. We just need some goals.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
I'm pretty sure we'll be hungry too, unlike the first period Monday. If we lose this, we'll have to win at least one more in Boston to advance.

Thomas is having trouble, get some rubber and bodies to the net early!

I'm not worried about Price. He'll keep his game quiet and keep us in it. We just need some goals.
And not just get rubber "at the net"... put it somewhere that's likely to give a rebound if nothing else. I'm a little tired of shots getting floated at Thomas' glove when nothing else is on and they just throw it at the net. Say what you want about his style, rebound control, or whatever, he has a heck of a glove hand that won't be beat without a perfect shot or Shibuya train station's worth of traffic.