HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Game 3 - Kings vs. Sharks - 04/19/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-20-2011, 12:49 PM
  #376
Shellz
Registered User
 
Shellz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 17,305
vCash: 500
Bring on Thursday! GO KINGS!

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 01:07 PM
  #377
KingNick07
Registered User
 
KingNick07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 264
vCash: 500
So i woke up this morning and I'm not feeling any better.

Couple things that ticked me off.

- Where was the timeout.

- Why in the world would we have cliff-rich-simmonds line start the ot against Big Joe line? Don't we have last change?

- Most embarrassing thing I've ever witnessed.

- Come on Penner at least dive for the ****ing puck!

Great now I'll be at the game tomorrow with my heart already crushed. Hope they win...

I can't help but chuckle.

KingNick07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 01:30 PM
  #378
SLang
Registered User
 
SLang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 3,463
vCash: 500
Caught these little guys playing outside Staples before the game yesterday. I wish I'd known then that this was actually the pre-game skate for the Kings team that was going to play the 2nd period!

Look at little Penner there slacking off in the corner......!



Last edited by SLang: 04-20-2011 at 01:36 PM.
SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 01:34 PM
  #379
Cruel11
Classless Kings
 
Cruel11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 14,402
vCash: 500
Feels like waking up from a horrible nightmare.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 01:40 PM
  #380
pnut408
Registered User
 
pnut408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Sharks fan here, sorry to intrude.

I saw a lot of calls for a TO from Murray.
Now, I don't like the guy either, but he had plenty of TV time-outs to talk to the team and say what he needed to say. Can't blame the coach for all 6 goals.

I think this game was just a full breakdown by the entire Kings team, but Sharks fans are not exactly happy with their 0-4 start.

It's already a wild series, and it's only halfway there.

pnut408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 01:52 PM
  #381
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 8,905
vCash: 500
Yeah if i were a Sharks fan, I wouldn't be too thrilled with how the series is going. Their goaltending and defense has been less than stellar. They have won both their games in OT against a Kings team missing one of its top players and a crippled top winger. That doesn't change anything for the Kings but if I told you the Kings would be down 2-1 in the series after game 3 and both losses came in OT I doubt most of the negative nellies around here who were predicting a sweep would have believed me.

EDIT: The Kings are the lowest scoring team that made the playoffs and they have scored 11 goals in 3 games so far.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 01:54 PM
  #382
SLang
Registered User
 
SLang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 3,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnut408 View Post
Sharks fan here, sorry to intrude.

I saw a lot of calls for a TO from Murray.
Now, I don't like the guy either, but he had plenty of TV time-outs to talk to the team and say what he needed to say. Can't blame the coach for all 6 goals.

I think this game was just a full breakdown by the entire Kings team, but Sharks fans are not exactly happy with their 0-4 start.

It's already a wild series, and it's only halfway there.
I don't think anyone's blaming him for all 6 goals. The question is - could something have been done to stem the tide?

No matter, it's over, and there's a game to think about tomorrow. 100% sure both teams right now have already forgotten last night and are focused on that.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 01:58 PM
  #383
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Thanks Sharkie


I would feel completely disgusted and awful about myself if I came in here and read a post from a fan of the team we are playing against that made more sense and had more spirit and character then my own.

So its alright for some of us here to flat out INSIST on our players having perfect character drive and spirit but when the chips get even a little bit down YOU get the right to up and quit?

We are all King fans with all equally valid opinions but if this were a locker room of a team that I was on I would feel ashamed.


I SAY WE WILL WIN THIS IN 7

HERE'S OUR CHANCE TO ACHIEVE SOMETHING GREAT!

THE SHARKS HAD A BETTER REGULAR SEASON RECORD THAN US AND WE ARE GIVING THEM MORE THAN THEY CAN HANDLE!!!


PICK YOUR SORRY BUTTS UP AND LETS GET OUT THERE AND WIN THIS NEXT GAME LIKE WE KNOW WE CAN!!!

LETS QUIT ALL OF THE WE SUCK B.S. BECAUSE THAT IS ALL THAT IT IS.


NO KOPITAR AND WE ARE STILL RIGHT IN THIS SERIES, WHO WOULD HAVE IMAGINED IT?

I'LL TELL YOU WHO, ALLOT OF US HERE DID AND HERE WE ARE>



IF IT WERE A FIGHT WOULD YOU QUIT NOW?

OF COURSE NOT!

IF IT WERE FOR *YOUR* PRIDE WOULD YOU QUIT NOW?

OF COURSE NOT

IF IT WERE FOR A SHOT AT IMMORTALITY WOULD YOU QUIT NOW?


OF COURSE NOT SO STOP TRYING TO QUIT ON YOUR TEAM AND GET BACK IN IT!!!!



IT IS ANOTHER BEAUTY DAY TO BE A KINGS FAN!!!!


FOR GAWDS SAKE FRIENDS, LETS ACT LIKE WE KNOW IT!


KINGS IN 7!!!!


WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO


I AM AN FING BELIEVER!!!

GO KINGS GO!!!
I just about grabbed my rifle and charged over the nearest hill. Well put, Kings in seven, simply because we don't want to embarrass them in six games. GO KING GO!!!

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 01:58 PM
  #384
Cruel11
Classless Kings
 
Cruel11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 14,402
vCash: 500
I wish Terry would have pulled Quick. Not saying Quick had a bad game, just so the team could wake up. They maybe would have played more defensively in front of Bernie. Oh well, they better get their heads straight for game 4.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 02:03 PM
  #385
king maker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 60
vCash: 500
well find out what kind of character this teams has by the way they respond in game 4.
i think they will come out with passion and fire and give the sharks all they can handle.

king maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 02:05 PM
  #386
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,829
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
EDIT: The Kings are the lowest scoring team that made the playoffs and they have scored 11 goals in 3 games so far.
And if someone told you that the Kings would score 11 goals in the first 3 games, would you expect to be down 2-1 in the series?

Stats don't matter in the playoffs. Win or Lose, that is all that matter. People act like losing in OT is a good thing. Was I happy that the Kings lost 3 OT games in the 1993 finals? I don't care how close the games are, just the final result. Taking teams into OT is not an accomlishment and doesn't grow the team.

Quick is now 1-3 in playoff OT. I think Dean needs to lobby for a shootout in the playoffs.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 02:08 PM
  #387
pnut408
Registered User
 
pnut408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Yeah if i were a Sharks fan, I wouldn't be too thrilled with how the series is going. Their goaltending and defense has been less than stellar. They have won both their games in OT against a Kings team missing one of its top players and a crippled top winger. That doesn't change anything for the Kings but if I told you the Kings would be down 2-1 in the series after game 3 and both losses came in OT I doubt most of the negative nellies around here who were predicting a sweep would have believed me.

EDIT: The Kings are the lowest scoring team that made the playoffs and they have scored 11 goals in 3 games so far.
Agreed. After the euphoria of last night's finish, we wake up to realize we're only 1 game ahead of a 7th seed team without their top scorer.

pnut408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 02:09 PM
  #388
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,829
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I just about grabbed my rifle and charged over the nearest hill. Well put, Kings in seven, simply because we don't want to embarrass them in six games. GO KING GO!!!
I think Tonellisghost displayed more emotion in that one post than Murray has in three years.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 02:10 PM
  #389
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,829
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnut408 View Post
Agreed. After the euphoria of last night's finish, we wake up to realize we're only 1 game ahead of a 7th seed team without their top scorer.
It's still better than being down 2-1. Of course, the Kings were 20 minutes away from being up 3-1 against the Canucks last year and lost 3 straight games.

I wouldn't mind last night's game as much if the Sharks lose the next three.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 02:10 PM
  #390
yankeeking
Registered User
 
yankeeking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Took a night to sleep on it. Still stings, but it can all be summed up in fundamentals.

Niemi was horrible. That 4-0 lead was an aberration because 3 of those goals should have been stopped. A young team got a big 4-0 lead early in a big game against a top team, took their foot off the gas defensively and it bit them in the ass. Hard.

Fortunately they can redeem themselves in game 4, just like San Jose did in game 3.

The fans were absolutely fantastic last night - throughout the game.
this is exactly how it went and as far as the fans they/we were loud,then they got louderand I was very proud that they tried all the way to the end, every shift all nite. the shock is over lets get fired back up and raise hell tomorrow.......GO KINGS GO

PS Up int the 300 hundreds we had two chants going at same time go kings go and lets go kings pretty sweet

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 02:26 PM
  #391
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 8,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
And if someone told you that the Kings would score 11 goals in the first 3 games, would you expect to be down 2-1 in the series?

Stats don't matter in the playoffs. Win or Lose, that is all that matter. People act like losing in OT is a good thing. Was I happy that the Kings lost 3 OT games in the 1993 finals? I don't care how close the games are, just the final result. Taking teams into OT is not an accomlishment and doesn't grow the team.

Quick is now 1-3 in playoff OT. I think Dean needs to lobby for a shootout in the playoffs.
Well I couldn't agree more on that point. Which means all this whining about how the Kings lost last night is pretty stupid imo. They lost the game, that is what matters. I only brought up the OT losses because people around here were acting as if the Kings were going to be blown out of the water by the Sharks (sure, pun intended). That simply hasn't been the case so far.

My rookie hockey fan friend said during the course of the game after it was tied "it is going to suck if they win anyway" and I told him, I don't give a **** what the score is at the end of the game if the Kings win. You won't be talking about how pretty it was or wasn't if the Kings are in the second round. You'll be talking about the Kings being in the second round.

EDIT: The goal scoring comment was about the Sharks performance. If I'm a Sharks fan, I'm not very encouraged that they can't seem to stop the most offensively inept team in the playoffs from scoring. That doesn't bode well for them if they by some grace of God actually beat the Kings.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 02:35 PM
  #392
TonySCV
Moderator
One More Time
 
TonySCV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post

I wouldn't mind last night's game as much if the Sharks lose the next three.
That's right. Besides, they had to lose one of these two home games so they can win the series at home for game 6.

TonySCV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 02:45 PM
  #393
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,433
vCash: 500
Just bought my tickets for game 4. Win that one boys and it's a best of three and with the way Niemi is playing I still like our chances.

If someone would have told me that we score 5 goals in any game of any playoff series this year and still lose I never would have believed it. Gotta get back to the tight checking and win a 3-1 game tomorrow night with an empty netter at the end. That will make last night a distant memory.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:15 PM
  #394
Ryko
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 41
vCash: 500
I'm thousands miles away, my countryman Kopitar is out for season, and a loss like this still totally kills my day. Woke up at 4 am to watch the ESPN feed, was pumped and even woke up couple neighbours, probably, during 1st period, only then to shut it all down after 2nd and went to work early. Finding out we lost in the end was hard to swallow. I feel for you Kings fans, and wish you nothing but WIN. You're a good bunch and deserve at least a playoff series win.

I'll be sure to tune in again friday morning, in hope of a better outcome. GO KINGS!

Ryko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:21 PM
  #395
MtlPenFan
Registered User
 
MtlPenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 10,645
vCash: 500
Hey guys,

I felt nauseated after last night's game as a somewhat neutral observer, so I can barely imagine what you guys are going through. That was rough to watch and as the game wore on I was rooting hard for your team.

I just had one observation and I wanted to ask if it's been a recurring theme all season. I noticed that the Sharks are able to hit a lot of open trailers on the rush who are able to walk in (a la BOTH OT goals in this series)

Is this more a coaching thing, where the Kings don't have a high forward in the offensive zone? Or lack of effort on the backcheck like we saw from Penner on the winner?

MtlPenFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:03 PM
  #396
TonySCV
Moderator
One More Time
 
TonySCV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,223
vCash: 500
Quisp with some excellent notes/thoughts on the game:

http://www.jewelsfromthecrown.com/20...ights-blow-out

A few key points from the article:

"Rob Scuderi called the Kings' performance "immature." I wish I had thought to say that last night, as it's the perfect description.

Doughty and Johnson need to settle down. They need to take yoga or something. If I were the other team, I would spend a lot of energy trying to rile those guys up. It only hurts their game. Or will, until they realize it and grow up.

The Sharks have a goaltending problem. Niemi has ranged from not good to terrible in his 2.33 games so far. Who are the Sharks going to play tomorrow night? Either way, that's a glaring weakness.

Last night's game, from the drop of the puck, was wide open.
It was wide open and the Kings were rewarded for it, which unfortunately reinforced the wide-openness. "

Watching the 1st period again... he's right. All those coverage and system breakdowns that were glaring in the 2nd period were there in the first as well. Niemi was a sieve and that masked the problems.

__________________
"In a year that has been so improbable, the impossible has happened." - Vin Scully being clairvoyant in 1988.

The Los Angeles Kings - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions

Last edited by TonySCV: 04-20-2011 at 04:21 PM.
TonySCV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:17 PM
  #397
Johnny Utah
Registered User
 
Johnny Utah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 6,855
vCash: 500
Gonna be tough to rebound from this. There are some things that happened this season that are gonna make it tough to call this season a "success." Doughty started out slowly, then got concussed, losing Williams and Kopitar when they were both getting hot, the Sturm pick up and loss, Penner struggling down the streth, the loss on St. Patty's Day to St. Louis and the OT loss in Game 1 and now the 4-0 lead blown in Game 3 at home.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:20 PM
  #398
Axl Rhoadz*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Gonna be tough to rebound from this. There are some things that happened this season that are gonna make it tough to call this season a "success." Doughty started out slowly, then got concussed, losing Williams and Kopitar when they were both getting hot, the Sturm pick up and loss, Penner struggling down the streth, the loss on St. Patty's Day to St. Louis and the OT loss in Game 1 and now the 4-0 lead blown in Game 3 at home.
Don't forget blowing the last two games of the season...with pitiful play. That cost us home-ice advantage and resulted in playing the Sharks in the first round. To make it even worse, IF the Kings get to the 2nd round, they play VAN. To think all they needed was to win one of those two at the end.

Axl Rhoadz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:21 PM
  #399
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
A few key points from the article:

"Rob Scuderi called the Kings' performance "immature." I wish I had thought to say that last night, as it's the perfect description.
... Scuderi is 1000% right. I always am dead-on in agreement with what he has to say, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Doughty and Johnson need to settle down. They need to take yoga or something. If I were the other team, I would spend a lot of energy trying to rile those guys up. It only hurts their game. Or will, until they realize it and grow up.
... The trick is finding a happy medium there. They need to be riled up to a certain extent to bring out their offensive game (because this team needs it desperately) but they need to be disciplined enough to play in their own end as well. It's easy to take those two and single them out, point a finger and say "grow up", but the whole team needs to take responsibility for what happened last night. Johnson and Doughty were riled up pretty well in game 2 and it worked out wonderfully. They were just TOO riled up last night. That happens when you have two guys with just 9 playoff games under their belts. They're still learning what this is all about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
The Sharks have a goaltending problem. Niemi has ranged from not good to terrible in his 2.33 games so far. Who are the Sharks going to play tomorrow night? Either way, that's a glaring weakness.
... Niemi will play. I've said it before, and I'll say it now. The REAL culprit of the Sharks' "choking" over the years hasn't been Thornton, or Marleau, or anyone like that. It's been their often sub-par goaltending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Last night's game, from the drop of the puck, was wide open. It was wide open and the Kings were rewarded for it, which unfortunately reinforced the wide-openness.
... At some point, the coaches have to step in and get some control of the team. They didn't do that. If they're going to be leaders, they have to preach. They have to repeat themselves. They can't just sit there like wooden indians and say "Well, we told them to start tightening up". Well, obviously they didn't tell them enough. Repeat it. Repeat it again. Call time out and repeat it AGAIN. Until the team is like "OK, OK! We get it!".

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:28 PM
  #400
Johnny Utah
Registered User
 
Johnny Utah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 6,855
vCash: 500
The Kings is still very young...Martinez, Doughty and Johnson....If it wasn't for Scuderi and Mitchell this series would be 3-0.

I don't want to dog Martinez, but would Voynov be a better option at that #6 spot?

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.