HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Logical/Non-emotional "What's wrong w/Penner?" discussion

Old
04-20-2011, 04:01 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

vCash: 500
I think it could be issues at home. Somebody posted a link on here about it and if it's true, it makes sense why he doesn't seem to care about what happens on the ice at all.

He did have that great pass last night which lead to a goal, but aside from that he's been complete rubbish. I can't wait to get rid of him.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:06 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

The Question. Whats wrong with Penner? Answer. Our system.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Fat Elvis

[QUOTE=TonySCV;32525069]My money is on poor conditioning. He looked tired, and was making tired plays all night.

QUOTE]

Then that is bad scouting on LA's part. Why pay a heavy price for a guy out of shape? You have to know what you're getting and not just the numbers. The guy has to pass the eyeball test and it should have been very evident of his conditioning. The dude is Ronning-Carter-and so on and so on. LA's ability to complete late season deals that actually work out, is horrible. O-for

You have to think Greene has been in his ear already, those guys know each other very well. Buddy? Please, this is your GD job. Do it and work your ass off doing it. LA has been without their wipping boy most of the season, now they've dealt two 1sts and a 3rd for one .

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:19 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
There's definitely an element of systems learning that he's still going through. He has looked lost out there from time to time. I think it's pretty evident that he's worried about being out of place defensively - so much so that it's impacting his offense. It's not at all different than what Kopitar went through as he was learning to become a better two way player.

Poor conditioning just exacerbates the problem.

I'm hopeful that the strength and conditioning coach will get him on a successful training regimen this off-season and he'll look much better next season.
Yeah I think it is a combination of things but the thing that is disturbing to me is he seems to watch plays pass him by where he could at least make an effort. Poor conditioning to me is somebody beats me in a foot race to a puck. I see him almost say to himself "i'm not going to win that one so i'm not even going to waste energy trying". He sees a 50/50 puck and peels off. I've seen it happen countless times.

I think he is probably a bit out of shape, is struggling having defensive responsibilities and is possibly either not happy with teammates or the situation in general. Maybe he liked playing for the last place team and having no expectations? It is hard to say but I'd hope that he can only go up from here.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:25 PM
BlacknWhite

I'm sorry but trying to pick a part a guys mind will only drive you crazy. From my observations of him in Edmonton and gauging his interviews, the only logical explanation I can come to is he:

Doesn't Care

His demeanor, his attitude and everything about his play suggests that he really doesn't give a **** about hockey. He is in it for the pay cheque and nothing more. The way he acts reminds me of so many people I use to work with. When someone doesn't give a **** about their job/career it will show.

Sucks to be you guys. It's tough but I am glad Tambo weaseled a 1st round pick and a prospect from you guys. It's your problem now

BlacknWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:28 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingurentai View Post
Agree with most of what you said but...

Poni?

I might be watching the wrong game but he's consistently been one of the guys that always hustles. Boneheaded plays/penalties too, but at least he hustles. Been ok defensively too,
He has been better lately.

Most of the season he was in that category though.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:32 PM
tomd

[QUOTE=DP;32526095]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
My money is on poor conditioning. He looked tired, and was making tired plays all night.

QUOTE]

Then that is bad scouting on LA's part. Why pay a heavy price for a guy out of shape? You have to know what you're getting and not just the numbers. The guy has to pass the eyeball test and it should have been very evident of his conditioning. The dude is Ronning-Carter-and so on and so on. LA's ability to complete late season deals that actually work out, is horrible. O-for

You have to think Greene has been in his ear already, those guys know each other very well. Buddy? Please, this is your GD job. Do it and work your ass off doing it. LA has been without their wipping boy most of the season, now they've dealt two 1sts and a 3rd for one .
Bingo...right now the trade reflects VERY poorly on DL and the professional scouting staff. Penner is proving with every successive shift what a stiff he is.

tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:40 PM
Kingurentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknWhite View Post
Doesn't Care
Sorry don't buy that one. If it were basketball or baseball, he may be able to get away with it. Or if he was a seasoned and "big name" NHL vet in his last cpl years like JR. I just don't see how team mates will let a player get away with "not caring" in hockey for almost 9 yrs now. With or without a fat contract.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:54 PM
BlacknWhite

He's not a stupid guy and I wouldn't be surprised if he has found ways of manipulating the situation. From all accounts in Edmonton, Penner was a great team guy and everyone liked him.

The way to put all this to rest is to go bug his wife. Ask her wtf his deal is because Kings Fans are going mental.

BlacknWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:56 PM
Shellz

He had expectations coming here. He didn't in Edmonton. He's being counted on a lot more and that probably doesn't help.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 05:06 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
I think it could be issues at home. Somebody posted a link on here about it and if it's true, it makes sense why he doesn't seem to care about what happens on the ice at all.

He did have that great pass last night which lead to a goal, but aside from that he's been complete rubbish. I can't wait to get rid of him.
What was the link someone posted?

Also, have you all not forgot this...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/...pector_penner/

Edmonton fans were unhappy with him right off the bat because he showed up his first season out of shape.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 05:13 PM
Fangio

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/...pector_penner/

Edmonton fans were unhappy with him right off the bat because he showed up his first season out of shape.
Those harsh quotes in article from then coach MacT sums it all up.

Fangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 05:17 PM
Johnny Utah

The story goes he showed up to Edmonton out of shape, was in MacT's doghouse for the first two seasons and then Penner said he trained in Newport in the off season with and came back and had a good third season in Edmonton under a new coach.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...rre&id=4602192

Old
04-20-2011, 05:18 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers View Post
The Question. Whats wrong with Penner? Answer. Our system.
Its not the system its Penner. Everyone knew what we were getting and we all hoped a change of scenery would help the guy out. He was called out in Anaheim and Edmonton for his work ethic and play. Did we honestly think that was going to change being here?

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 05:19 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingurentai View Post
Some TV director (for the games in SJ) twittered Penner took a limo alone instead of riding with his team mates in SJ.

*I personally don't believe it til I see it/hear it from more legit sources. Which is why I said, "IF true".
It's been almost a week since that tweet, and I'm surprised that Hammond hasn't addressed it yet.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 05:23 PM
Johnny Utah

Does Penner get traded this off season or does Lombardi take the extra year and see what happens with him and Kopitar?

Old
04-20-2011, 05:30 PM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Does Penner get traded this off season or does Lombardi take the extra year and see what happens with him and Kopitar?
Tragically, it is a lose-lose-lose situation now. If Penner is traded this summer the Kings will not get anywhere near the value they gave up to get him. If he stays and has a bad season, he'll be gone the next year. If he stays and has a good year, he'll be gone anyway since it would be too risky to sign him to a long term contract and watch him float for 3-4 years. He'll be gone just about the time that Teubert and the whomever Edmonton selects with our 1st pick will be starting to make their mark.

Old
04-20-2011, 05:31 PM
Sayuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
He had expectations coming here. He didn't in Edmonton. He's being counted on a lot more and that probably doesn't help.
As an Oiler fan I do not believe this is the situation. Penner has already stated he's under less pressure playing for the Kings even though they are in a winning environment.

Maybe that's what is actually missing? When he played bad here he would get called out by every media outlet, people on the street etc. It followed him everywhere and I believe Penner played better when he was pissed off. L.A. might be honestly too laid back of an environment for him.

In days past he couldn't go grocery shopping without having people make comments to him about his play, it might be that he is the type of player that needs that harsh motivation. I'm sure he's basically anonymous in most of L.A.

Edit: Not to say that you guys don't have fantastic fans, simply that it's not the same type of fishbowl environment.

Sayuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 05:34 PM
kingdoughty

this is how he plays...he doesnt fit in tm's system

and most importantly, no kopitar

kingdoughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 05:39 PM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
Tragically, it is a lose-lose-lose situation now. If Penner is traded this summer the Kings will not get anywhere near the value they gave up to get him. If he stays and has a bad season, he'll be gone the next year. If he stays and has a good year, he'll be gone anyway since it would be too risky to sign him to a long term contract and watch him float for 3-4 years. He'll be gone just about the time that Teubert and the whomever Edmonton selects with our 1st pick will be starting to make their mark.
Or both Teubert and the pick could fizzle to nothing.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 05:46 PM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
Or both Teubert and the pick could fizzle to nothing.
For what we'll get out of Penner this year and next, that would be the only way the trade could be considered fair.

Old
04-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
When did Tuebert and the 1st become the saviors of the Kings? Last time I checked, Teubert was 5th or 6th on the defensive depth chart in Manchester. Forbert and Deslauriers are probably ahead of him too.

Kings don't need more 1st rounders at this point and Dean has been spectacular in the 2nd round.

Penner will be fine with Kopitar and Williams next season. It's a contract year and he will not have to play with Handzus. Penner needs speed at center to be effective. Penner-Lewis-Brown is a line I would like to see, but Murray won't try it.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 06:04 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Its not the system its Penner. Everyone knew what we were getting and we all hoped a change of scenery would help the guy out. He was called out in Anaheim and Edmonton for his work ethic and play. Did we honestly think that was going to change being here?
I don't know abut that. I think our system has really stymied the scoring creativity of our players. Plus I thought TM said he was having a hard time picking up his player on the way back in to the zone. Didn't someone say that our offense was very positional or something to that fact. Our system does not allow for the creativity of the caliber of players we have. That said Penner does look like a slug out there. Non caring.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 06:11 PM
Brodie562

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
well that sucks to think about things playing out that way.

Cammalleri is a PPG player in the playoffs since we traded him just saying... haha jk

Last edited by Brodie562: 04-20-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Brodie562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 06:14 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Penner was lazy before he was here, he's lazy while he's here and he'll be lazy when he moves on. He's just lazy. He's obviously out of shape and has no desire to correct that. I wish Penner had Brad Chartrand's heart, he'd be un-****ing stoppable.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote