HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 3 - Kings vs. Sharks - 04/19/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
04-20-2011, 05:31 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
The Kings is still very young...Martinez, Doughty and Johnson....If it wasn't for Scuderi and Mitchell this series would be 3-0.

I don't want to dog Martinez, but would Voynov be a better option at that #6 spot?
It will be up to Voynov in camp to show if he is the better option.

Having a defenseman with Voynov's speed would nice to have on the Kings next year. Speed helps on defense and offense.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 05:35 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

... Here's a bit more to reinforce what I said about the real culprit being the Sharks' goaltending:

In the shootout era (05-06 to now), the San Jose goalies have played 59 playoff games.

They've posted 3743 minutes, 30 wins, 29 losses, and a .906 save percentage (1487-1641) despite only facing 26.3 shots per game.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 05:41 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
The Kings is still very young...Martinez, Doughty and Johnson....If it wasn't for Scuderi and Mitchell this series would be 3-0.

I don't want to dog Martinez, but would Voynov be a better option at that #6 spot?
... Doughty has logged more ice than any defenseman in the series and is just -1. Mitchell is even. Scuderi is even. Johnson is even. To say that "if it wasn't for Scuderi and Mitchell it would be 3-0" is garbage.

Martinez is at +2, so I don't see where the issue is there, either.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 05:45 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

No Voynov wouldnt be better at this point than A Mart.

I think A Marts problems have had some to do with his partner this series. For a rookie he has actually been nails all things in.

Coaching would have been the difference last night to my way of seeing things but as of now TM is our coach and whatever decisions he makes during the playoffs I will stand behind him. In the end he will have to be held accountable for his decision making but until that day as long as he is behind the wheel during these playoffs I am gonna support him or say nothing.

I just believe in us as a team and that we are so uber talented that we will figure a way out to win this series.

I can't see it going any other way.

The Sharks are a good team and maybe better than us up front but our D and goaltending is better than theirs.

This where we will see if the old adage "defence wins championships" will be tested and I think it will come out right.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 05:47 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Doughty has logged more ice than any defenseman in the series and is just -1. Mitchell is even. Scuderi is even. Johnson is even. To say that "if it wasn't for Scuderi and Mitchell it would be 3-0" is garbage.

Martinez is at +2, so I don't see where the issue is there, either.
Yeah, I don't see it either. Other than the Doughty mistake in Game 1 and the obvious 2nd period breakdown our defense has been great.

Anyway, if you were looking for a goat on defense (and we shouldn't be), A-Mart wouldn't be the guy. You'd be looking at his defensive partner.

04-20-2011, 06:42 PM
Duc620

Young guys make "immature" (Scuderi) decisions.

Martinez is a great prospect with excellent skating, skills and instincts plus he has a terrific shot with a knack for finding the goalie. A couple of his passes last night were "regular season" passes - cross ice at the blue line. Some of his plays did not go deep. Immature. He's only going to get better and better.

If we don't play these guys, they won't get better. No need to pull in other players right now.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 06:46 PM
Johnny Utah

Then Voynov is a goner, how is any prospect going to break into the top 6 next year? Maybe the year after when Mitchell is a UFA....but I see Muzzin stepping in then.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 06:52 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Then Voynov is a goner, how is any prospect going to break into the top 6 next year? Maybe the year after when Mitchell is a UFA....but I see Muzzin stepping in then.
With the way Dean has drafted, get used to good prospects moving to other organizations. It happens to most of the top teams all of the time. In 2 or 3 years, one of Quick or Bernier will be with a new NHL team and will perform well. The key is making the correct decision on which players to keep and which to let go. Teubert was okay to let go. Penner may not work out next season, but Teubert wasn't going to make the Kings anyways.

Who had Clifford making the team as a 19 year old rookie out of juniors? Who had Clifford being a beast in his first playoff series? At 19, Clifford probably stole a job from a Kings prospect in Manchester that will have to move on to get his shot in the NHL.

How many people had written Lewis off as a prospect before this season? He has shown that he can be a very valuable bottom 6 with top 6 short term potential for injuries. I believe he has passed Richardson as far as NHL potential. I think Lewis' ceiling is higher than Richardson's. Lewis, Schenn and Richardson will be battling in camp for the 3rd and 4th line center position.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 07:03 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I actually see some small potential for us to move one of our veteran D or even possibly A Mart this offseason but very small potential.

Voynov Hickey and Muzzin are all going to need to be given their shot or moved soon enough but in many ways it will be up to them as to when. It doesn't look like Harrold will be back and Whiskey will likely be gone as well. It's possible that one of the kids will get to stick as our number 7 but that would only further complicate things.

We will likely move on or more of them but the great news is how significant the return will be. We have 3 exceptional PMD's ready to start breaking into the NHL today and one young stay at home solid #6 in Whiskey as well. Our top 3 kid are better than average by a stretch and absolutely will garner some serious interest in our quest to add a legit number one sniper over the next couple seasons.

Old
04-20-2011, 07:04 PM
Defgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
With the way Dean has drafted, get used to good prospects moving to other organizations. It happens to most of the top teams all of the time. In 2 or 3 years, one of Quick or Bernier will be with a new NHL team and will perform well. The key is making the correct decision on which players to keep and which to let go. Teubert was okay to let go. Penner may not work out next season, but Teubert wasn't going to make the Kings anyways.

Who had Clifford making the team as a 19 year old rookie out of juniors? Who had Clifford being a beast in his first playoff series? At 19, Clifford probably stole a job from a Kings prospect in Manchester that will have to move on to get his shot in the NHL.

How many people had written Lewis off as a prospect before this season? He has shown that he can be a very valuable bottom 6 with top 6 short term potential for injuries. I believe he has passed Richardson as far as NHL potential. I think Lewis' ceiling is higher than Richardson's. Lewis, Schenn and Richardson will be battling in camp for the 3rd and 4th line center position.
Honestly, I'm fine with Martinez sticking around for a while, provided he doesn't start to regress. Mitchell and Scuderi won't be around forever, so there's time for prospects to fill spots. Prospects are going to have to fall by the wayside at some point, but that's a good thing. If you know some prospects just aren't going to make it, they still have some value in a trade, if anything for future draft picks.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 08:36 PM
Duc620

Be a shame to lose Voynov... maybe he's the 7 next year? But, it's not going to do prospects any harm learning the pro game next to Mitchell and Scuderi.

Old
04-20-2011, 08:47 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Colby armstrong tweet:

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 08:58 PM
Nose of Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
No Voynov wouldnt be better at this point than A Mart.

I think A Marts problems have had some to do with his partner this series. For a rookie he has actually been nails all things in.

Coaching would have been the difference last night to my way of seeing things but as of now TM is our coach and whatever decisions he makes during the playoffs I will stand behind him. In the end he will have to be held accountable for his decision making but until that day as long as he is behind the wheel during these playoffs I am gonna support him or say nothing.

I just believe in us as a team and that we are so uber talented that we will figure a way out to win this series.

I can't see it going any other way.

The Sharks are a good team and maybe better than us up front but our D and goaltending is better than theirs.

This where we will see if the old adage "defence wins championships" will be tested and I think it will come out right.
What if TM changed the D pairings? Scuds with Greene and A-Mart with JJ?

Nose of Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 09:02 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Just a note on Voynov. I don't think he is toast as far as the Kings go if he doesn't make the big club next season. He is still very young and unless he is traded the Kings retain his rights even if he leaves to go back to Russia for a payday next season.

He wouldn't be available to the Kings next year, but wouldn't it be nice to have him in the organization still when Scuderi and/or Mitchell's contracts are up. Also there is no guarantee that Voynov leaves North America and doesn't stay in Manchester. There are going to be injuries over the course of a season and he would likely be one of the first call ups.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 09:05 PM
Duc620

TM tried those kind of pairings in the regular season... finally went back to youth and vet pairings - except with DD and JJ on the PK (wow, song lyric!). You just have to live with Alex's errors until he learns...

Old
04-20-2011, 09:11 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
were gonna package JJ for parise

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 09:43 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmondsSensation View Post
What if TM changed the D pairings? Scuds with Greene and A-Mart with JJ?
Sure that is what is likely to happen anyways. With Davis likely to be moved and Harrold good as gone we will have room for VV to step up and if it isn't him I would expect a real battle between Muzz and Hickey. All 3 of these guys are ready for their slow assault on the NHL. Whoever would get the coveted number seven spot of the three can be brought along during the season with the call up being one of either Hickey or Muzz.

All of them are ready for this next step so it is up to them as to who will be the first to take it. I do agree with the notion that none of them are going to be hurt by another year or two even in the A but with their talent and style of play they will be worth a spot or too much to pass by another team sooner rather than later imo.

The great thing is that we have Deslauriers, who may end up being the most talented of the rest of kids after JJ and DD who should be ready in three years if not two and Forbort will be ready in about the same time if everything goes well. I would also give a shoutout to how good Campbell has become over the past little bit as well as Kolomite! Both of these guys have shown the get up and go and dedication to improvement that they might also be on the NHL radar in a few years.

It sounds incredible but this is what happens when you have one of the greatest scouting staffs and GM's ever. Within the next few years people around the game are going to start talking about just how great they have been doing and we all will get to say we told you so.

Old
04-20-2011, 11:31 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 12:07 AM
ukyo

I'm a little late to the party on this since I didn't see the game due to a product launch at work. But when I finally got a chance to check the score this morning after being taunted by the fifty Sharks fans in my office, I was like, "oh it took OT, way to put it to them, boys!" Of course I saw the box score and facepalmed.

But that puts things into perspective for me. Two OT losses and a 4-0 shutout win? I'll take that in a seven game series that the Kings where expected to lose in five.

ukyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 01:23 AM
Nose of Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Sure that is what is likely to happen anyways. With Davis likely to be moved and Harrold good as gone we will have room for VV to step up and if it isn't him I would expect a real battle between Muzz and Hickey. All 3 of these guys are ready for their slow assault on the NHL. Whoever would get the coveted number seven spot of the three can be brought along during the season with the call up being one of either Hickey or Muzz.

All of them are ready for this next step so it is up to them as to who will be the first to take it. I do agree with the notion that none of them are going to be hurt by another year or two even in the A but with their talent and style of play they will be worth a spot or too much to pass by another team sooner rather than later imo.

The great thing is that we have Deslauriers, who may end up being the most talented of the rest of kids after JJ and DD who should be ready in three years if not two and Forbort will be ready in about the same time if everything goes well. I would also give a shoutout to how good Campbell has become over the past little bit as well as Kolomite! Both of these guys have shown the get up and go and dedication to improvement that they might also be on the NHL radar in a few years.

It sounds incredible but this is what happens when you have one of the greatest scouting staffs and GM's ever. Within the next few years people around the game are going to start talking about just how great they have been doing and we all will get to say we told you so.
Actually i just ment the changes for the series

But when VV comes up I'd love to see him with JJ too or maybe Doughty and JJ together and VV and Forbort together (thats not for a few years when Forbort comes up) and A-Mart and Muzz together but then Hickey would be the odd man out, unless of course him or A-Mart are moved, they seem like the most likely candidates to be traded imo

Nose of Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote