HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers and the fans

Old
04-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Flyers and the fans

Hey guys, Sabres fan here. I come peacefully. Wanted to ask you a question. Which Flyers players are good with the fans? I mean stopping to autograph or take pictures, etc.

You see, I have a Pronger and Briere jersey, and I'd love to catch both of the guys when they come here for Games 3 and 4. I'm wondering if these guys will likely sign for me and who else I might be able to find. I'm a Sabres fan but more importantly a fan of hockey, so I'd love to meet any opposing players if they're there too.

Thanks!

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 03:57 PM
Miss Mess

Hey - It would likely be pretty tough to track down Pronger, especially come playoff time. Other Flyers might be easier to catch- Hartnell, Briere & Carle often sign stuff for fans.

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 04:25 PM
Start Leighton*

Carter always seems friendly and willing to take pictures, talk and sign stuff for the fans.

Start Leighton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 05:55 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mess View Post
Hey - It would likely be pretty tough to track down Pronger, especially come playoff time. Other Flyers might be easier to catch- Hartnell, Briere & Carle often sign stuff for fans.
Always have liked Carle. As long as Briere is friendly to Sabres fans that have remained fans of him regardless of affiliation, it would be cool. He always seemed like a class person when he was here.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:54 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
anyone of them really

it just depends when/whee you see them

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 09:05 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Always have liked Carle. As long as Briere is friendly to Sabres fans that have remained fans of him regardless of affiliation, it would be cool. He always seemed like a class person when he was here.
Yeah he definitely is. They might be a little focused with the whole playoffs thing right now, but if there's an opportunity Briere will definitely sign.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 10:14 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start Leighton View Post
Carter always seems friendly and willing to take pictures, talk and sign stuff for the fans.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 10:21 AM
ShotScore*

Jody Shelley is an absolutely awesome individual. Can't go wrong with him.

ShotScore* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 06:00 PM
May Day 10

I didnt want to clutter your board with a new thread. I thought this title was at least fitting.

I went to Game 1 in Philly donning a Sabres jersey and hat. I was quite nervous based on the Eagles games reputation and the fact that there would be so few Sabres fans there. People introducing me to themselves in the lot as Sabres fans wearing ''street clothes' didnt help either.

Right when I hit the crowd near the gate, I was showered with boos and 'a-hole' chants. People near me engaged in good conversation though. Hallways the same thing. It was pretty intense.

I got to my seat and got a lot of ribbing. It was all in good fun and I took it well with a smile. I got good cred when I said how awesome the God Bless America thing was in the beginning.... and also how I admitted how much I love fighting in hockey. Great conversation with the people around me. I was even purchased 3 beers by unique Flyer fans throughout the night.

I went out for a cigarette in the 2nd intermission. It was intense. A lot of anecdotes that would take too long to write, but it was hilarious and great. Everyone had a great sense of humor and I never once felt threatened. Someone walked by me and said 'Buffalo s_____" and flipped my hat like 3 inches. Security went after him despite my please in his defense. Everyone around me though was saying it was uncalled for and they deserve it.

After the game, after Buffalo won, people were very good sports, all the way to the car. More great conversation. Even with a guy with a giant orange mohawk.

So in short, Flyers fans have class and I will always correct people who say otherwise. They didnt make it 'easy' on me... but it was all in great fun... of course I wouldnt dare 'ask for it'. When Kaleta scored, I gave a brief 'yeah!' and stood up and clapped for a somewhat abbreviated period of time. That is the key.

I plan on going to Game 5, and Game 7 if necessary. I am confident it will go without incident if I keep the right attitude, and give the Flyers and the city of Philadelphia credit (which they both deserve), there will be no 'incidents'.

One interesting thing is, I was asked many times if I was from Buffalo, or from Philadelphia and a Sabres fan. It seemed like it put the asker at a lot of ease when I said I lived in Buffalo. You guys must hate homegrown 'enemies'.

so thats my (probably boring) story. Feel free to use it when people talk about Flyer fans like they are Morlocks.

May Day 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 06:04 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by May Day 10 View Post
I didnt want to clutter your board with a new thread. I thought this title was at least fitting.

I went to Game 1 in Philly donning a Sabres jersey and hat. I was quite nervous based on the Eagles games reputation and the fact that there would be so few Sabres fans there. People introducing me to themselves in the lot as Sabres fans wearing ''street clothes' didnt help either.

Right when I hit the crowd near the gate, I was showered with boos and 'a-hole' chants. People near me engaged in good conversation though. Hallways the same thing. It was pretty intense.

I got to my seat and got a lot of ribbing. It was all in good fun and I took it well with a smile. I got good cred when I said how awesome the God Bless America thing was in the beginning.... and also how I admitted how much I love fighting in hockey. Great conversation with the people around me. I was even purchased 3 beers by unique Flyer fans throughout the night.

I went out for a cigarette in the 2nd intermission. It was intense. A lot of anecdotes that would take too long to write, but it was hilarious and great. Everyone had a great sense of humor and I never once felt threatened. Someone walked by me and said 'Buffalo s_____" and flipped my hat like 3 inches. Security went after him despite my please in his defense. Everyone around me though was saying it was uncalled for and they deserve it.

After the game, after Buffalo won, people were very good sports, all the way to the car. More great conversation. Even with a guy with a giant orange mohawk.

So in short, Flyers fans have class and I will always correct people who say otherwise. They didnt make it 'easy' on me... but it was all in great fun... of course I wouldnt dare 'ask for it'. When Kaleta scored, I gave a brief 'yeah!' and stood up and clapped for a somewhat abbreviated period of time. That is the key.

I plan on going to Game 5, and Game 7 if necessary. I am confident it will go without incident if I keep the right attitude, and give the Flyers and the city of Philadelphia credit (which they both deserve), there will be no 'incidents'.

One interesting thing is, I was asked many times if I was from Buffalo, or from Philadelphia and a Sabres fan. It seemed like it put the asker at a lot of ease when I said I lived in Buffalo. You guys must hate homegrown 'enemies'.

so thats my (probably boring) story. Feel free to use it when people talk about Flyer fans like they are Morlocks.
But how many snowballs did they throw at Santa!?

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 06:06 PM
Wayne Train
who is lord stanley?

'Homegrown' enemies....yea, you don't want to be one of them lol. It's better to be a fan of your team and actually be from that city, then be a fan of that team and be from this city

Wayne Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 06:07 PM
hextall shoots

Quote:

Its only the first round buddy. It gets much more interesting!!!

hextall shoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 06:13 PM
hof2120

Quote:

Yeah, we're not all ravenous animals

But yeah, being respectful is key. Not gonna lie though, when I go to a Flyers game in Pittsburgh or Jersey, I'm a complete obnoxious *******. Mainly because I know none of them will do anything about it.

edit: And for relevance sake, Matt Carle is an incredibly classy and nice guy. I actually had the pleasure of meeting him once. I actually had a really nice conversation about hockey with him, it's easy to tell that he's a guy who appreciates the fact that he's being paid to play the sport he loves. Probably one of my favorite Flyers.

Last edited by hof2120: 04-20-2011 at 06:19 PM.
hof2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 11:32 AM
Intentional Icing
why you little!

in the end of the day, we're all fans of the same sport. i may hate, for instance, Pittsburgh and their fans sometimes but i will always treat them with respect if i'm ever at the igloo.

that is unless someone pushes me too far and then my philly will come out

Intentional Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 11:47 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:

Total propaganda and BS psyops trying to besmirch Philly fans' hard ass rep....you ought to be ashamed.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 11:52 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:

Great post. Thank you for the respect. That is the key. There are always a few people who take it too far for various reasons. But if you don't act like an idiot and are not disrespectful then you shouldn't have a problem in Philly. I'm going to send this post over to one of my good friends who is a Penguins fan (barf) because he's too scared to come to a game in Philly. Good luck to your Sabres (not too much) and most importantly, LET'S GO FLYERS!!!!

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 11:54 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
Great post. Thank you for the respect. That is the key. There are always a few people who take it too far for various reasons. But if you don't act like an idiot and are not disrespectful then you shouldn't have a problem in Philly. I'm going to send this post over to one of my good friends who is a Penguins fan (barf) because he's too scared to come to a game in Philly. Good luck to your Sabres (not too much) and most importantly, LET'S GO FLYERS!!!!
How long has he been your friend? Not sure friends let friends come to the Wells Fargo Center and cheer for the Pens...kind of a different animal

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 11:59 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
How long has he been your friend? Not sure friends let friends come to the Wells Fargo Center and cheer for the Pens...kind of a different animal

LOL! He's been my friend since 5th grade so a very long time. I keep telling him if he doesn't act like an idiot he will be fine. People will just give him a hard time. And especially if I am there with him, no one is going to attack him. That'd be pretty bad if someone attacked him while he is there with a Flyers fan hahaha.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 02:26 PM
May Day 10

I tailgated with some Flyer fans (I work with), and I definitely felt a lot more comfortable when I was with them.

May Day 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 03:35 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Reputations are wonderful things. The Flyers have a reputation for being rough and wild, but they are hardly the Broad Street Bullies anymore. And the fans have a reputation for being animals, but for the most part we're very respectful and good natured. Our bark is worse than our bite.

But we DO bite, so show some respect.

LEIFey is online now   Reply With Quote