Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Defence for 11/12 season

Old
04-17-2011, 09:19 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
really, nickshultzfan...you had to represent dumb on the trade rumors board? Brent Burns for NJ #4 overall? Of course they'd do it. anyone would. every GM. Because it would be criminally stupid of the Wild's GM and then you'd see one of those Animal Planet shows where they tell kids not to watch. The ones where the lions (other GMs) pick out the three legged, weak baby elephant out of the herd and eat it. You're the baby elephant.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 11:16 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
really, nickshultzfan...you had to represent dumb on the trade rumors board? Brent Burns for NJ #4 overall? Of course they'd do it. anyone would. every GM. Because it would be criminally stupid of the Wild's GM and then you'd see one of those Animal Planet shows where they tell kids not to watch. The ones where the lions (other GMs) pick out the three legged, weak baby elephant out of the herd and eat it. You're the baby elephant.

lol...easy there rynryn.

I can see some sort of deal with the New Jersey pick and Brett burns involved but the wild need some real NHL talent coming back that can give us some guaranteed return (especially given this draft class). I don't know how that would work or if it could be done. Even though the trade may improve the wild in the long run, the odds of that happening are not in our favor and far to great.

Last edited by Casper: 04-18-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 08:17 AM
MNman

Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
So, just to get this straight. You want to trade Schultz for "whatever" you can get,and then sign a lesser player for the money you were paying Schultz? You're willing to overpay guys like Hannan or Montador for 2 years just to save cap space 3 years from now?

I'm all for saving cap space wherever you can, but unless Fletcher and co. think that Barker, Stoner, Scandella, or faulk can fill Schultz's roll it doesnt make much sense to me to move a bad contract with the intention of signing another one.
To be honest, the more likely scenario I see playing out is that this team being out of the playoff hunt next year will try and shed some of their veterans at the deadline to make room for Houston kids to get more NHL seasoning....I would put Schultz into that group of potential deadline trades.

MNman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 09:23 AM
BLBarmada

I would expect the defence and the whole team to look younger next year as the Wild start rebuilding. We know were not good enough so there's going to be changes. The untouchables are Koivu and anyone with a No Trade.

Barker is probably the 1st out the door, followed by one of Schultz, Zidlicky or Zanon.

Cuma and Scandella will probably make the team next year and Spurgeon too.

I can see Hackett getting in alot of games next year.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 10:37 AM
BuddyMcCormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLjunior View Post
I would expect the defence and the whole team to look younger next year as the Wild start rebuilding. We know were not good enough so there's going to be changes. The untouchables are Koivu and anyone with a No Trade.

Barker is probably the 1st out the door, followed by one of Schultz, Zidlicky or Zanon.

I really don't see him being with the big club next year. You know he tore his ALC/MLC around mid season, right?

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 01:40 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i keep forgetting we have Cuma. that's probably a bad sign.

Old
04-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That's like me with Sheppard last year.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 03:39 PM
saywut

Quote:

We don't have spots for Scandella, Cuma(injury aside), AND Spurgeon, nor can we afford to enter next season with 3 2nd year pros on our NHL roster when only 1 has shown legit potential to be a top-4 NHL d-man.

Hackett should get alot of games in Houston next season. I'd like Kuemper in the ECHL personally(to maximize his/Hackett's game action), with Tjordmann(or similar AHL contract goalie) backing up Hackett in Houston.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 03:40 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
What are you talking about? There is a good chance Burns wants +6 million/year and will be gone to free agency. It's no guarantee he re-signs. Whoever we draft at #4, whether it be RHN, Larsson, Couturier, Huberdeau, Hamilton, will be with this team for at least 7 years and would be a good return for Burns.

Let's look at this another way. Gaborik left DR had a chance to trade him during the summer of 2008. When his value was extremely high. DR didn't. Gaborik left for nothing.

Now, let's look at the 2008 draft. Stamkos, Doughty, Bogosian, and Pietrangelo were the top-4. Imagine if we could have receive a #2-#4 pick that year. This team would be in a lot better shape.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 03:49 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Imagine if we could have had a #4 pick in the 2005 draft!

Old
04-18-2011, 03:51 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Let's look at this another way. Gaborik left DR had a chance to trade him during the summer of 2008. When his value was extremely high. DR didn't. Gaborik left for nothing.
Except... Gaborik had his first hip surgery in May of that year, shortly after the first round exit. He didn't come back until the start of the season, was here for maybe 4 games, and injured himself playing pre-game soccer.

Basically, he was dead in the water with an injury at ever single moment we could have traded him. That entire year, we were all hoping for him to be traded "when he comes back healthy". Unfortunately, he came back healthy March 17th.

I can fault DR for not signing him to a same term, one or two year extension, but it was just a horrible sequence of injury spans which led me to ask...

"Why didn't anyone ask; What about the other hip?"

His disease was a genetic, bi-lateral, symmetrical defect in the hip joint. Get one side fixed... not the other? Dumb, Dumb, Dumb...

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:21 AM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
I really don't see him being with the big club next year. You know he tore his ALC/MLC around mid season, right?
Ya I know its the 2nd time he's done it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
We don't have spots for Scandella, Cuma(injury aside), AND Spurgeon, nor can we afford to enter next season with 3 2nd year pros on our NHL roster when only 1 has shown legit potential to be a top-4 NHL d-man.

Hackett should get alot of games in Houston next season. I'd like Kuemper in the ECHL personally(to maximize his/Hackett's game action), with Tjordmann(or similar AHL contract goalie) backing up Hackett in Houston.
When you're rebuilding you can afford too. I would like to see Backstrom go out the door.

Old
04-19-2011, 05:33 PM
saywut

Quote:
When you're rebuilding you can afford too. I would like to see Backstrom go out the door.
Who's rebuilding? Not the Wild.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:30 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i was just going to say...rebuilding? too late for that now.

Old
04-19-2011, 08:08 PM
BLBarmada

Well come on its 3 years without the playoffs, were not good enough, it would make sense to rebuild.

Old
04-20-2011, 09:40 AM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
No it wouldn't.

Having a new coach is our rebuild..

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
Who's rebuilding? Not the Wild.
Seriously, I hate to read/use that word.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 09:48 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

A rebuild would be selling off all your assets and accumulating a bunch of draft picks. The Wild still have some very good players under contract and a handful of promising prospects that will come in the next few years. And it would be very tough to do a full rebuild with this team, as so many of the contracts are unmovable (Backstrom, Bouchard, Barker, Zidlicky has a NTC, Schultz, Cullen has a NTC, Havlat has a NTC, Koivu has a NTC)

Old
04-20-2011, 11:26 AM
mnwildgophers

I'd be very interested if we could do a Burns + 1st 2011 for Parise conditional on us getting Parise locked up long-term. I'd have to think that the Devils would view this as a fair offer if they can't lock him up long term. We'd get a dynamic scorer and the Devils would add 2 really good prospects to their pool at #4 and #10 (also ammo for whatever they are trying to do next year).

We would roll into next year with the following defense:

Schultz-Zidlicky
Zanon-Stoner
Barker-Spurgeon

That would be a very very unstable group, but we do have a good amount of depth down in Houston in Falk, Cuma, Scandella, Noreau. We would have guys that can fill in roles and we'd have to hope Wilson could coach these guys up, but as nickschultzfan was saying in many posts earlier, having better forwards would help our defense out a lot.

Getting a guy like Parise would be huge for this team and add that dynamic that we haven't had for a while. He can score and he'd be a great addition, but the price of Burns + 1st would be a steep one. I wonder myself if I would even do it, but I can't say that I wouldn't be excited if we did pull the trigger on that trade.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 11:30 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The team needs finishers up front and stability on the back end. Burns is neither unfortunately...

Old
04-20-2011, 11:44 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

heh...but he's more of a finisher than the majority of our forwards.

Old
04-20-2011, 07:29 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
Yeah... I was at the X when that happened too... it was not pretty at all! Cuma was by far the Aero's best player in that game at the time. How many times can this guy get set back by injury before he's just plain done?

Everytime he looks like he may be ready, something like this happens. At this rate, he may never make it simply due to injury pile-up.

Quote:
heh...but he's more of a finisher than the majority of our forwards.
Having a finisher on the backend as well as finding a finisher or two on the front end... Burns would become even more dangerous for the opposition if we could find it! As I said before... as long as he doesn't ask for too much... he's worth more for the Wild in the long run than via trade still IMO.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote