HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jonathan Quick's Game 3 Performance

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-20-2011, 04:18 PM
  #76
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
So you think the Kings kept their foot on the gas in the second period? You don't think they let up a little?
... Not at all. I think they NEEDED to let up, in fact. Tone it down a bit, and get back to playing disciplined hockey. Sometimes players need to be pumped up, sometimes they need to be brought down.

JT Dutch* is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 04:23 PM
  #77
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,839
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
So you think the Kings kept their foot on the gas in the second period? You don't think they let up a little?
I think that scoring 8 goals in 4 periods went to their heads and they played a game that fed right into the Sharks style. The Kings needed to become even more boring with a 4 goal lead and they did the opposite.

With this game behind us, will the Kings make another quick exit to the playoffs?

Sydor25 is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 04:32 PM
  #78
DryIslandBartender
KCCO
 
DryIslandBartender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Not at all. I think they NEEDED to let up, in fact. Tone it down a bit, and get back to playing disciplined hockey. Sometimes players need to be pumped up, sometimes they need to be brought down.
I guess I saw the game differently, I thought they did tone it down a little in the second period, they got too complacent with the lead and just let the Sharks skate around them. Very undisciplined hockey.

DryIslandBartender is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 07:10 PM
  #79
JBernierFan
Drink up!
 
JBernierFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 3,788
vCash: 500
Please don't lump all Bernier fans together. I was at the game last night, and IMO, Quick didn't let in any of his usual softies. He didn't make the HUGE save last night that needs to be made in the playoffs, but he didn't lose the game last night. That was put on the Dmen and F1 forward coming back (that didn't take his man). They were running around like monkeys last night in the 2nd and 3rd period. Quick may have over played at times (and can be blamed as much as the other 20 people on the team), but you can't pin this one on him. Maybe it would have been different with Bernier, but you can't state it like it's a fact. We don't know, and we'll never know because Quick played the whole game. End of story. I'm also glad that Quick played the entire game.

Now, another issue, I thought it was interesting when I was reading TheGoalieGuild's tweets last night when we started to fall apart. He actually broke down Quick's numbers when he has a 1, 2, 3, etc goal lead and how he plays. The more of a lead the Kings give him, the more he falls apart. Pretty interesting if you ask me. It shows he gets too complacent and pulls out of the game mentally.

JBernierFan is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 07:16 PM
  #80
itstheo54
Registered User
 
itstheo54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
I just can't believe people are still responding to this dude's trollbait. He's been doing this since last year. No way to have a rational goalie discussion with this guy at the helm...Quick posts a shutout, he disappears. Quick lets ONE in, he's right on it.
well it seems like you've taken the trollbait...whatever that is, and keep commenting. NO ONE is forcing you to click and respond and read this thread, so...you can't complain

itstheo54 is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 07:19 PM
  #81
GaryLivingston
Registered User
 
GaryLivingston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 71
vCash: 500
Blaming Quick is retarded. If you are, you might want to spend more time learning the game of hockey and less time acting like you know the game on message boards.

Blame the team playing in front of him.

GaryLivingston is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 07:22 PM
  #82
Brodie562
Registered User
 
Brodie562's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: LBC
Country: United States
Posts: 846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
You mean besides the 50 or so he will play next season?
sadly i think it'll up around 60 again. as long as TM is head coach Quick will be this teams #1. i just hope we get a good return for Bernier and that Jones is the real deal. i've all but given up on seeing Bernier being this clubs #1. i dont see Quick falling on his face, which is what would be needed in Bernier's case to get a decent crack at the job.

about last nights game, no way is Quick to blame. i wouldn't have minded seeing Bernier go in but only to give the team a kick in the backside. not trying to say Quick failed us.

Brodie562 is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 08:55 PM
  #83
Brad Doty
Moderator
Compliance Hero
 
Brad Doty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: I.E.
Country: United States
Posts: 11,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by itstheo54 View Post
well it seems like you've taken the trollbait...whatever that is, and keep commenting. NO ONE is forcing you to click and respond and read this thread, so...you can't complain
Are you complaining about my post about complaining? Classic.

I stand corrected, though, because there WAS actually well thought out discussion and debate in this thread despite the way it started. My apologies for that.

Brad Doty is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 08:57 PM
  #84
Brad Doty
Moderator
Compliance Hero
 
Brad Doty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: I.E.
Country: United States
Posts: 11,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post

Now, another issue, I thought it was interesting when I was reading TheGoalieGuild's tweets last night when we started to fall apart. He actually broke down Quick's numbers when he has a 1, 2, 3, etc goal lead and how he plays. The more of a lead the Kings give him, the more he falls apart. Pretty interesting if you ask me. It shows he gets too complacent and pulls out of the game mentally.
That's a very interesting stat. He seems VERY strong when focused and seeing a lot of work, but he also seems like one of those goalies that goes incredibly cold when he's not seeing much action on our end. Didn't we have a winning record when outshot? I feel like that stat would support the other. Just an informal observation.

Brad Doty is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 10:26 PM
  #85
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
You don't stack your pads on that goal...it was a pure panic move on Quick's part. He was doing a Kelly Hrudey impersonation at the wrong time there. How can you say that there was nothing wrong at all with that? Jesus H Christ.
Are you joking?

Cross ice pass 10 feet in front of the net, and you are on your knee, that's EXACTLY the time you stack your pads, if the guy can laser it under the crossbar, you give him the goal and a trophy, most guys are putting that cross ice pass 18 inches off the ice dead on middle of the net....

Seriously bud, that was far from a panic move.

sjmay* is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 10:54 PM
  #86
GaryLivingston
Registered User
 
GaryLivingston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 71
vCash: 500
Yeah, Quick just made about five stellar saves under intense pressure when he was out of position (as any goaltender would be after that flurry and chaos brought on by bad defensive coverage) when he went and stacked the pads.

It was a desperation move for sure. But, not one brought on by Quick. I don't want to comment on how he should have butterfly slid across instead of stacking the pads. I have to watch the replay again a few times.

GaryLivingston is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 11:39 PM
  #87
TonySCV
Moderator
Two Timer!
 
TonySCV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post

Now, another issue, I thought it was interesting when I was reading TheGoalieGuild's tweets last night when we started to fall apart. He actually broke down Quick's numbers when he has a 1, 2, 3, etc goal lead and how he plays. The more of a lead the Kings give him, the more he falls apart. Pretty interesting if you ask me. It shows he gets too complacent and pulls out of the game mentally.
I thin those stats are demonstrating the effect of the entire team taking their foot off the gas when they get big leads than Quick's performance slipping in particular. It's just natural to start taking your foot off the gas when you have a lead and feel like you're dominating/dictating play. It's difficult for any player to resist doing that - goalies included.

TonySCV is offline  
Old
04-21-2011, 12:14 AM
  #88
defense447713
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 84
vCash: 500
neutral observer here, though I am rooting for the kings this playoffs since my team is out. I honestly don't understand how anyone can blame quick for those goals. I would have to go back a long way to recount a time where a team hung their goalie out as badly as last night. The defensive play by the kings was atrocious, to put it lightly. Guys wide open in the dzone, defensive players getting beat back to the front of the net, back checkers going to the wrong man. It was a complete defensive breakdown, one that is in no way on the goalies shoulders.

defense447713 is offline  
Old
04-21-2011, 12:15 AM
  #89
KillerKampfer*
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lake Titicaca
Posts: 2,650
vCash: 500
Some of those goals came on fluky bounces but I agree if Bernier starts the Kings win.

Scuderi and JJ were on the ice for the most egregious goal I dont remember if it was 4 (the one right before Smyth answered) or 5 where the Kings could just not clear the zone. Its sad those guys are still a little too young and green for the team to be able to lean on them in those spots.

Quick has talent, hes a great second goalie. But the goals he lets in are backbreakers.

Its Bernier time though. You can win a Cup with him if he gets to play enough games and gets his confidence up. I just can't say that about Quick after allowing 5 goals in a period even if a few came on fortunate bounces.

I dont know why the hell he didn't start the third period in net.

KillerKampfer* is offline  
Old
04-21-2011, 12:18 AM
  #90
DryIslandBartender
KCCO
 
DryIslandBartender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Are you joking?

Cross ice pass 10 feet in front of the net, and you are on your knee, that's EXACTLY the time you stack your pads, if the guy can laser it under the crossbar, you give him the goal and a trophy, most guys are putting that cross ice pass 18 inches off the ice dead on middle of the net....

Seriously bud, that was far from a panic move.
No I am not joking, when your flopping around and have your pads stacked when no shot was taken, that's a panic move. He was laying on the ice as soon as the pass was made. He wasn't positionally sound on that one, I don't know how anyone can make that claim on the 4th goal. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a lack of communication between the defense and Quick on that play. It just looked like panic mode to me, there was rebounds given up prior to that goal and just had bad play written all over it.

It was like watching monkeys on ice at that point.

DryIslandBartender is offline  
Old
04-21-2011, 12:23 AM
  #91
Rickety Cricket
Registered User
 
Rickety Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not Kent Huskins
Country: United States
Posts: 28,491
vCash: 500
Sharks fan with my observations of the goals. I play goalie so I might be a bit biased.

1st goal - Tap in goal by Marleau, seems more like a blown defensive assignment.

2nd goal- Fluke deflection, not too much he could have done there.

3rd goal- Cross ice laser from Couture. If he stops that, its arguably the save of the playoffs.

4th goal- Fantastic pass to a wide open Clowe. Quick may have been challenging a bit too much on that (I noticed this series he really comes out).

5th goal-Fluke bounce and fantastic shot by Pavelski

6th goal- Great cross ice pass from Marleau to an open Setoguchi (while Penner for some reason was watching, instead of you know, doing something) which Quick almost got.

Really the only goals he could've had were the 2nd and 4th ones.

Rickety Cricket is offline  
Old
04-21-2011, 12:24 AM
  #92
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
No I am not joking, when your flopping around and have your pads stacked when no shot was taken, that's a panic move. He was laying on the ice as soon as the pass was made. He wasn't positionally sound on that one, I don't know how anyone can make that claim on the 4th goal. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a lack of communication between the defense and Quick on that play. It just looked like panic mode to me, there was rebounds given up prior to that goal and just had bad play written all over it.

It was like watching monkeys on ice at that point.
Wow,

I just went back and watched the 4th goal, THERE WAS NO ****ING PAD STACK, watch the goal again.

He makes the 1st save on Heatley, point blank, the rebound goes in between 2 Kings and Clowe and is bouncing, he gets in position there, It comes back out to Boyle at the top of the circle, in the slot, who takes it right to the dot,

At this time quick is down on one knee having pushed over there from the side of the ice, while all 5 Kings are looking at Boyle, including the three right in front of Quick, NO ONE KNOWS CLOWE IS WIDE FREAKING OPEN.

Boyle sends a no look pass to Clowe for the tap in, and Quick tries to pull a Hasek to get there....

You are out of your freaking Tree if you put that goal on Quick.

sjmay* is offline  
Old
04-21-2011, 12:24 AM
  #93
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKampfer View Post
Some of those goals came on fluky bounces but I agree if Bernier starts the Kings win.

Scuderi and JJ were on the ice for the most egregious goal I dont remember if it was 4 (the one right before Smyth answered) or 5 where the Kings could just not clear the zone. Its sad those guys are still a little too young and green for the team to be able to lean on them in those spots.

Quick has talent, hes a great second goalie. But the goals he lets in are backbreakers.

Its Bernier time though. You can win a Cup with him if he gets to play enough games and gets his confidence up. I just can't say that about Quick after allowing 5 goals in a period even if a few came on fortunate bounces.

I dont know why the hell he didn't start the third period in net.
ONE was a fortunate bounce, ONE was a result of hard work, 3 were great freaking passes....cmon...seriously?

sjmay* is offline  
Old
04-21-2011, 12:25 AM
  #94
The VEGASKING
#1 fan
 
The VEGASKING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 1,691
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The VEGASKING Send a message via Yahoo to The VEGASKING
I've typed out replies to this twice and decided not to post. I don't think Quick is to blame but if you watch the 3rd and 4th goals I think he could have done much better on both goals.


Doughty is screening him when White makes the pass on the 3rd goal. The way White's body is positioned leaves him in no position to shoot the puck. When he makes the pass Quick goes down in the butterfly and Couture is left with a wide open net. I give him the benefit of the doubt since he was being screened but I'd like to see him stay on his feet there.


You guys are talking about stacking the pads on the 4th goal. I didn't see it thay way. He slides to the left and gets down on one knee with his paddle on the ice. He's leaning to the right the entire time. It just looked like Boyle waited him out and as soon as Quick starts falling over Boyle makes the pass across.


Who knows. Who's to say if he does this or that instead of what he did he would have stopped those pucks anyways. The real disturbing thing is how many cross ice passes the Sharks are being allowed to make.

and a link for your viewing pleasure.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6393516

The VEGASKING is offline  
Old
04-21-2011, 12:28 AM
  #95
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASKING View Post


Doughty is screening him when White makes the pass on the 3rd goal. The way White's body is positioned leaves him in no position to shoot the puck. When he makes the pass Quick goes down in the butterfly and Couture is left with a wide open net. I give him the benefit of the doubt since he was being screened but I'd like to see him stay on his feet there.
It's not just Doughty, it's a shark player as well, can't tell who it is, but White is absolutely in a position to shoot up until he passes, it's a great pass, Johnson didn't read Couture in time, and Penner had his stick in the wrong direction, Quick read that one right, could not get all the way across in time.

EDIT: I actually thought Quick made the glove save on that initially, that's how far he stretched...

sjmay* is offline  
Old
04-21-2011, 12:30 AM
  #96
Rickety Cricket
Registered User
 
Rickety Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not Kent Huskins
Country: United States
Posts: 28,491
vCash: 500
On the 4th goal, it looks like he stumbles more than anything as opposed to doing a pad-stack. This is a pad-stack


Rickety Cricket is offline  
Old
04-21-2011, 12:43 AM
  #97
DryIslandBartender
KCCO
 
DryIslandBartender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post

I just went back and watched the 4th goal, THERE WAS NO ****ING PAD STACK, watch the goal again.
Watch it from the FSN feed, from the camera that was behind Quick. Anyway, your getting a little heated when the general consensus is that the 4th goal could have been handled a bit better. So I will take a break from discussing this issue with you. Since it is obvious that Quick can do no wrong in your eyes...

DryIslandBartender is offline  
Old
04-21-2011, 12:53 AM
  #98
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
Watch it from the FSN feed, from the camera that was behind Quick. Anyway, your getting a little heated when the general consensus is that the 4th goal could have been handled a bit better. So I will take a break from discussing this issue with you. Since it is obvious that Quick can do no wrong in your eyes...
Give it a rest, really.

There isn't a goalie in the league that would have stopped the 4th goal, or the 3rd goal, or the 1st goal, or the 5th goal, or the 6th goal.

The 2nd goal, bad bounce, I can see some goalies not reacting to the pass fast enough to be that open, but if that pass gets through, it's a goal.

Take your bias BS somewhere else...

sjmay* is offline  
Old
04-21-2011, 01:03 AM
  #99
DryIslandBartender
KCCO
 
DryIslandBartender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,291
vCash: 500
Sure bud, I was critiquing one play (same play others have noted)...and you fly off a handle. Too funny.

DryIslandBartender is offline  
Old
04-21-2011, 01:05 AM
  #100
TonySCV
Moderator
Two Timer!
 
TonySCV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,077
vCash: 500
This discussion has run its course. You can utilize the post-game thread for further comments.

TonySCV is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.