HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off Season Talk Thread

Old
04-21-2011, 12:10 AM
Rangers44*

vCash: 500
lines for next season:

Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Wolski-Richards-Gaborik
Avery-Stepan-Zuccarello
Fedotenko-Boyle-Prust
Weise

Staal-Girardi
Markov-Sauer
McDonagh-Del Zotto
Valentenko

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 12:15 AM
OverTheCap

I'm so sick of the inconsistent reclamation types like Christensen and Wolski. Cup winning teams don't have players like that.

Add McCabe to the list of failed veteran defensemen rentals. Good riddance.

I'm a big proponent of bringing in Richards, but I also realize he will not solve all our problems. I know everyone is in love with our top 4, but there is really too much redundancy there. I like our top 4 and I am definitely not proposing we trade any of them. All 4 are solid, stay-at-home defenders, which is great, but every successful team in this league has at least one puck-moving defenseman in their top 4. Sather has to think of some sort of contingency plan in the case that Del Zotto needs to spend much of the year in the AHL. Not having an offensive defenseman is part of the reason why our PP sucks (and I know Richards is a PP QB, but we still need an offensive defenseman to help with our transition game nonetheless).

I think one of Feds or Prospal gets re-signed. I'm leaning towards Feds right now because he's displayed a little more versatility than Prospal: he's gritty, can throw a hit, PK, and is also skilled enough to take shifts in the top 6 if need be.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 12:20 AM
Ke11y96

You keep the following:

Left Wing - Dubinsky, Fedotenko

Center - Stepan, Anisimov, Boyle.

Right Wing - Gaborik, Callahan, Zuccarello, Prust.

Defense - Staal, Girardi, Sauer, McDonagh.

Goal - Hank and Biron.

Out of all the keepers listed above the only spot I question is Zuccarello, and that is only because Torts' was quoted as saying he's not sure Zuccarello can handle the NHL game for long stints. So as long as Torts' is around probably very little of Zuccarello..

Prospects that will be at least mentioned as roster spot candidates..

Left Wing - Hagelin, Grachev, Kreider (if signed)

Center - Werek, Newbury

Right Wing - Thomas

Defense - Del Zotto, McIlrath, Valentenko, Kundratek.

Free Agents & Trade Fronts

Left Wingers - Eager, Rupp, Gagne, Fleischmann, Tanguay, Kopecky, Glencross, Leino

Center - RICHARDS

Right Wing - Upshall

Defense - Markov, Kaberle, Wisniewski, Ehrhoff.

Trade - Benn, Hemsky, Booth, Clowe, Wheeler.

You Get Rid Of

Wolski, Christensen, Gilroy through trade.

Avery, Drury & Boogaard you buyout, or hope at least Drury & Boogaard retire.

Frolov, Prospal, McCabe, and Eminger you cut ties with.

So if you pretend when putting together this off season puzzle its July 1st and we've already signed Richards. You have a layout as follows..

XXXX - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Stepan - Callahan
Grachev/Hagelin - Anisimov - XXXX
(Only those 2 for now Kreider is my favorite here if signed)
Fedotenko - Boyle - Prust

Staal - Girardi
McDonagh - Sauer
XXXX - XXXX

Hank and Biron.

Clearly Gaborik needs a setup man which Richards will provide but more then anything he needs creative talent that wants the puck and do most of the work while he works to get open and release his shot. He doesnt carry the puck and stick handle through guys ala Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Ect..So when solving that first line LW slot I try and either sign a healthy Fleischmann two a max 2 year deal, or one year of Tanguay..If trading for someone Clowe would be perfect and if he's locked off I ask for Hemsky.

Now why Hemsky who is a Right winger well its because he's a creative player who can keep up with Gaborik. Gaborik can play left wing so I move Gaborik to the left and Hemsky stays on the right. Those are my four scenarios for completing a first line either Fleischmann, Tanguay, Clowe, or Hemsky. With Gaborik and Richards.

To complete the 3rd line with a Right winger it very well could be Zuccarello, but if the Rangers need size I'd see what the price tag is on prying Blake Wheeler out of Atlanta. So picture the following for the offense..

Fleischmann - Richards - Gaborik or Gaborik - Richards - Hemsky
Dubinsky - Stepan - Callahan
Grachev/Hagelin - Anisimov - Wheeler/Zuccarello
Fedotenko - Boyle - Prust

The defense

Staal - Girardi
McDonagh - Sauer

I only see a few scenarios as much as I'd like to have Kaberle, Wisniewski, or Ehrhoff we couldn't afford them..Maybe Markov if he'd sign for under 4 million. If he wouldn't then I say continue our trend on the backend and go with our youth.

Del Zotto - McIlrath/Gilroy

The best scenario is Del Zotto - Markov but it'd have to be worked out quite well..But this is how I'd try to piece this roster together, I'd bring in hard working but creative players that can score 20 goals and net 35 or more assists..for the first line so either Fleischmann or Hemsky, maybe some size on the 3rd line like a Wheeler, and a vet on the backend that can run a powerplay and shoot it like Markov..But I listed other options incase anyone else see's it a different way..

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 12:23 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I'm so sick of the inconsistent reclamation types like Christensen and Wolski. Cup winning teams don't have players like that.

Add McCabe to the list of failed veteran defensemen rentals. Good riddance.

I'm a big proponent of bringing in Richards, but I also realize he will not solve all our problems. I know everyone is in love with our top 4, but there is really too much redundancy there. I like our top 4 and I am definitely not proposing we trade any of them. All 4 are solid, stay-at-home defenders, which is great, but every successful team in this league has at least one puck-moving defenseman in their top 4. Sather has to think of some sort of contingency plan in the case that Del Zotto needs to spend much of the year in the AHL. Not having an offensive defenseman is part of the reason why our PP sucks (and I know Richards is a PP QB, but we still need an offensive defenseman to help with our transition game nonetheless).

I think one of Feds or Prospal gets re-signed. I'm leaning towards Feds right now because he's displayed a little more versatility than Prospal: he's gritty, can throw a hit, PK, and is also skilled enough to take shifts in the top 6 if need be.
I'd let them both walk and go aggressively after someone like Iginla, or Nash or what not...a true blue elite player. dump the garbage, and play the kids in the bottom 9.

something like...

Iginla - Richards - Gaborik
Dubi - AA - Cally
Kreider - Stepan - Grachev
Hagelin - Boyle - Prust

3 more rookies in the forward lineup

youve got your vets to lead and protect the kids, and you got youth galore all over that lineup.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 12:26 AM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
I'd let them both walk and go aggressively after someone like Iginla, or Nash or what not...a true blue elite player. dump the garbage, and play the kids in the bottom 9.

something like...

Iginla - Richards - Gaborik
Dubi - AA - Cally
Kreider - Stepan - Grachev
Hagelin - Boyle - Prust

3 more rookies in the forward lineup

youve got your vets to lead and protect the kids, and you got youth galore all over that lineup.
You know there's a salary cap right?

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 12:26 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
You know there's a salary cap right?
the numbers work. check it out. The caveat being, you pretty much have to fill every other vacant spot from within, AND you have to dump Christensen, Boogaard, and Drury.

Old
04-21-2011, 12:28 AM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

Quote:
the numbers work. check it out.
That still scares me long term. It's not just big money next season, it's big money for several seasons.

Old
04-21-2011, 12:29 AM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

And how are we getting Iginla? The Flames will want Dubi/Cally/Staal or bust.

Old
04-21-2011, 12:36 AM
Ke11y96

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / Brad Richards ($6.750m) / Ales Hemsky ($4.100m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($3.750m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Ryan Callahan ($3.750m)
Evgeny Grachev ($0.816m) / Artem Anisimov ($0.850m) / Blake Wheeler ($2.500m)
Ruslan Fedotenko ($1.500m) / Brian Boyle ($1.200m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Mike Sauer ($1.550m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m) / Andrei Markov ($3.500m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $56,879,166; BONUSES: $800,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $5,520,834

In this scenario you still could pay a buyout of Avery and Drury, have Boogaard retire or void contract for overseas.

If you sign Fleischmann instead of trading for Hemsky you'll have even more Cap space because Flash wouldn't cost over 4.1

Old
04-21-2011, 12:36 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
And how are we getting Iginla? The Flames will want Dubi/Cally/Staal or bust.
i'd offer them Del Zotto, McIlrath, MZA, and our First. how's that for an opening bid?

Old
04-21-2011, 12:42 AM
gers*

Quote:
I'll go into it more in depth when the season is over, but to me the order of operations here is clear.

step 1. buy out Drury, but ask him to retire first. if he doesnt, kthxbai

step 2. re-sign Sauer, Anisimov, Dubi, & Cally

step 3. sign brad richards

step 4. use our extra redundant pieces to bring in a true blue top line left winger to play with Gabby and Richards.

IMHO Richards isn't enough, you need to get that entire top line. and I dont see that piece from within unless Kreider somehow goes into overdrive in his development...imho hes still 3-4 years away from hitting his peak.
Agree 100%. We have far too many borderline 2nd/3rd liners and theres simply not enough spots. This pushes Dubinsky down to the 2nd line with Callahan and Anisimov/Step, which would be a very, very solid 2nd line. Getting a true top line left winger makes our lineup much deeper, and would make us that much more difficult to match up against. Age shouldnt be too much of a factor as long as theyre capable of staying at that level for 3-4 years when Kreider (hopefully) earns that spot.

gers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 12:54 AM
Ke11y96

Quote:
Originally Posted by gers View Post
Agree 100%. We have far too many borderline 2nd/3rd liners and theres simply not enough spots. This pushes Dubinsky down to the 2nd line with Callahan and Anisimov/Step, which would be a very, very solid 2nd line. Getting a true top line left winger makes our lineup much deeper, and would make us that much more difficult to match up against. Age shouldnt be too much of a factor as long as theyre capable of staying at that level for 3-4 years when Kreider (hopefully) earns that spot.
So who do you go after??

There is no way Iginla is being moved there's just no shot..If you wanna move the assets that it would take to get Iginla or a top flight Left Winger were better off just shooting 1st rounders at Parise! The only top notch left winger I bet could be had for the right price is Heatley.. I mean Tanguay was 8th in Left Wing scoring and 4th in assists and he a UFA..at least he's only Money..

Old
04-21-2011, 12:59 AM
Rangers44*

maybe we can get Hemsky with a package whose main piece would be Stepan and/or Wolski.

Old
04-21-2011, 01:02 AM
gers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke11y96 View Post
So who do you go after??

There is no way Iginla is being moved there's just no shot..If you wanna move the assets that it would take to get Iginla or a top flight Left Winger were better off just shooting 1st rounders at Parise! The only top notch left winger I bet could be had for the right price is Heatley.. I mean Tanguay was 8th in Left Wing scoring and 4th in assists and he a UFA..at least he's only Money..
That all depends on who is/could be available. I don't think he has to be a superstar or a playmaker, just someone who has proven that they can bury chances, especially around the net. IMO Dubinsky isn't that player, and i think hes much better off on the 2nd line.

gers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 01:06 AM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

Parise and Markov are a tad injury prone for my taste. We've had enough injury problems.

Old
04-21-2011, 01:17 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

I'd like to see the NYR stand pat this offseason if the alternative is getting ourselves locked up in a 6m+ Richards deal.

Avoid Pitkanen like the plague, and give Markov a look if he still isn't signed by August 1st, and the price comes way down.

Leave spots open for some of our prospects to try and make the jump, as it'll help in the future to have more guys on Broadway playing on their ELC's, freeing up money for a later acquisition.

Find a d-man or two that has absolutely no problem handling the front of our net to fill the 5th and 6th spots.

Continue to develop from within, and work our way out of our big ticket agents, until the right offseason comes along that we can really address our concerns (which by then hopefully won't be a 1c and PMD). If we can catch lightning in a bottle by developing those 2 from within, we'll save buckets of money to add some serious depth.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 01:20 AM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gers View Post
I'm not saying that they would accept, but you do it because it gives you a legitimate shot at winning the cup immediately. That is the goal, right?
Doesn't mean we have to ridiculously overpay. Wolski, Del Zotto, and Stepan should probably be enough give or take a little.

Old
04-21-2011, 01:21 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
The throwing plywood on a pothole approach. Bandage it up and you're done. Good way to lose hockey games.
Actually it's putting the cover on the pothole approach- fixing our number 1 problem with a suitable solution.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 01:24 AM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
I'd like to see the NYR stand pat this offseason if the alternative is getting ourselves locked up in a 6m+ Richards deal.

Avoid Pitkanen like the plague, and give Markov a look if he still isn't signed by August 1st, and the price comes way down.

Leave spots open for some of our prospects to try and make the jump, as it'll help in the future to have more guys on Broadway playing on their ELC's, freeing up money for a later acquisition.

Find a d-man or two that has absolutely no problem handling the front of our net to fill the 5th and 6th spots.

Continue to develop from within, and work our way out of our big ticket agents, until the right offseason comes along that we can really address our concerns (which by then hopefully won't be a 1c and PMD). If we can catch lightning in a bottle by developing those 2 from within, we'll save buckets of money to add some serious depth.
I agree with this 100%. I think we finished a little above our heads this year and I still look at us as a building team. Give it a couple more years before you run out and get the final piece. You need all the pieces but one before adding the final piece, and we don't have that.

Old
04-21-2011, 01:25 AM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Actually it's putting the cover on the pothole approach- fixing our number 1 problem with a suitable solution.
We've had alot of covers these past few years and the holes are all still there. Big free agents don't work here. Never have, never will.

Old
04-21-2011, 01:27 AM
Rangers44*

Markov probably makes the most sense even if a bit risky, he shouldn't cost too much, and he won't be getting anything longer than 3 year deal.

If we aren't trading Del Zotto, DZ could probably learn from Markov.

Old
04-21-2011, 01:30 AM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
Markov probably makes the most sense even if a bit risky, he shouldn't cost too much, and he won't be getting anything longer than 3 year deal.

If we aren't trading Del Zotto, DZ could probably learn from Markov.
Learn what? Limping 101? Proper rehab techniques? How to pimp out a cast?

Old
04-21-2011, 01:37 AM
Marc Staal

The problem with this team is that they are always stuck in mediocrity.

We are never have a top 4 draft pick to get a top talent like Crosby, Malkin, Kane, Toews, or Ovechkin and we don't currently have guys like that in our system. (unless you think Kreider is the next Ovy).

Im 50/50 on Richards. Part of me says, get the guy, Gaborik needs a center and we need a PP QB, but another part of me says a 6 or 7 year deal at 6-7 mill for a 31 year old spells trouble along with his injury concerns.

I don't know lol.

Marc Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 01:42 AM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Staal View Post
The problem with this team is that they are always stuck in mediocrity.

We are never have a top 4 draft pick to get a top talent like Crosby, Malkin, Kane, Toews, or Ovechkin and we don't currently have guys like that in our system. (unless you think Kreider is the next Ovy).

Im 50/50 on Richards. Part of me says, get the guy, Gaborik needs a center and we need a PP QB, but another part of me says a 6 or 7 year deal at 6-7 mill spells trouble along with his injury concerns.

I don't know lol.
To me Richards won't bring us a Cup, but he guarantees more middle of the pack mediocrity. Exactly the direction we want to avoid. A franchise is going in the right direction if they're either on top, or on the bottom going towards the top. The Rangers are in the middle traveling horizontally. That gets you absolutely nowhere, and Richards will only worsen that.

Old
04-21-2011, 01:47 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
I agree with this 100%. I think we finished a little above our heads this year and I still look at us as a building team. Give it a couple more years before you run out and get the final piece. You need all the pieces but one before adding the final piece, and we don't have that.
Exactly, and when your holes are BOTH a 1c and a PMD, addressing that through free agency will tie up waaay too much money, not to mention already paying out huge for a top line RW.

If this team is going to be competitive long term, those two things, or at the very least one of those two, has to be developed within your own system, where you can slide cheap for awhile, and then get a hometown discount.

free agency money is best spent on the periphery typically to plug in stop gaps, and when the team and timing is right, you can make a go for broke splash.

Last edited by SlingshotVv: 04-21-2011 at 01:58 AM.
SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote