HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > All other USA Amateur, USHL, NAHL, USNTDP etc.
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

High end AJHL teams vs. EJHL teams?

Old
04-19-2011, 11:09 PM
BruinsHockey74

vCash: 500
High end AJHL teams vs. EJHL teams?

Just curious, I am well aware that the EJHL is the premier junior A league in the Northeast, but how would higher end AJHL teams such as the Walpole Express, or Boston Bulldogs compare to teams in the EJ?

Basically, how does play compare in the AJ to the EJ. The EJ clearly sends more kids D1, but how does everything else compare for those of you who know/have seen both levels of play?

BruinsHockey74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 08:18 AM
Edges7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsHockey74 View Post
Just curious, I am well aware that the EJHL is the premier junior A league in the Northeast, but how would higher end AJHL teams such as the Walpole Express, or Boston Bulldogs compare to teams in the EJ?

Basically, how does play compare in the AJ to the EJ. The EJ clearly sends more kids D1, but how does everything else compare for those of you who know/have seen both levels of play?
Top level EJ will usually beat top level AJ with no problem. The rule used to be that a healthy % of EJ players are in the EJ by choice, i.e., they didn't want the "bus grind" of the USHL. I would not be surprised if that is still the case. Also, the EJ does not limit the number of overagers; so, the league is replete with "late bloomers".

A typical AJ player, at least a couple years ago, is going to be 17-18 of mixed talent with a smattering of players on either side. My observation has been that the EJ will be skewed towards 18-19 year olds of fairly solid talent.

From a player's perspective, if you're 16, of good talent and have a chance at an EJ or Atlantic, you're probably going to get more ice in the AJ but face players of better skills in the EJ. Given that premise, you can ladder it up for other ages.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Edges7: 04-21-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Edges7 is offline   Reply With Quote