HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers to offer Gilroy an extension

Old
04-20-2011, 11:37 PM
Rangers44*

vCash: 500
Could you imagine how easy it would be for us if Capitals' 3rd pairing was Gilroy - McCabe. Our forwards would have some fun.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 04:49 AM
bettercallstaal
Stepan Stepan Stepan

I thought Matty G has played pretty well in this series but he still shouldn't be anything other than a seventh d.

bettercallstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 04:57 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
Could you imagine how easy it would be for us if Capitals' 3rd pairing was Gilroy - McCabe. Our forwards would have some fun.
The caps forwards>>>>>>>>>>the rangers forwards.

And yet I don't think the Caps offensive production has been all that amazing.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 04:59 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
The one thing Gilroy's got going for him is that he's a gamer. He really gets up for games like this. Did in college, and has been doing it in this series.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 05:36 AM
chosen

Gilroy is one of the few Rangers playing better now than in the regular season. I like guys like that.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 07:46 AM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
The caps forwards>>>>>>>>>>the rangers forwards.

And yet I don't think the Caps offensive production has been all that amazing.
only their top line is better, the bottom 2 lines, we have better and more talented players.

Gilroy never plays against the top line.

Old
04-21-2011, 08:11 AM
Loto68

Quote:
The one thing Gilroy's got going for him is that he's a gamer. He really gets up for games like this. Did in college, and has been doing it in this series.
I feel that he's been the 3rd best Ranger skater in this series thus far behind Staal and Prust. He's elevated his game about 10 fold from the regular season.

Loto68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 08:27 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
As the 7th D /spare F I am fine with the guy. He can skate BUT his 1.7 cap hit is ridiculous so Sather better offer less than 1 million a year. I don't even care if it's 2 yrs I actually expect it.

Just get that cap hit down to where it shoud be then fine sign the guy. Mind you he is not young so we have to stop saying he's a kid.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Gilroy is one of the few Rangers playing better now than in the regular season. I like guys like that.
Played very well again last night, he was flying creating chances...he's not the problem...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 09:20 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
he played 18 minutes in a game that was like 90 minutes long. he was well rested and used strategically against the Caps marginal players. It's not amazing that he for once didnt look like absolute crap, its good coaching to protect him. If he was matched up against either of the top 2 lines for the Caps, he would have been eaten alive.
well, yeah. Thats why most here are fine with him being the 7th d going forward, nothing more. The thing people like Rangers44 don't understand is that if your 7th D was really, really solid, then...he wouldn't be your 7th D.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
well, yeah. Thats why most here are fine with him being the 7th d going forward, nothing more. The thing people like Rangers44 don't understand is that if your 7th D was really, really solid, then...he wouldn't be your 7th D.
What you and others don't understand is if you are soft and are a defenseman that is clueless defensively and offensively, you shouldn't be in NHL.

Old
04-21-2011, 12:19 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
What you and others don't understand is if you are soft and are a defenseman that is clueless defensively and offensively, you shouldn't be in NHL.
The greater hockey minds being paid for their services disagree with your pedestration evaluation of his talent. I'll take their professional opinion, over the biased garbage you're spewing.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 12:20 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
What you don't understand is Gilroy isn't clueless. What he has been is one of our better players down the stretch.

Your bias blinds you so much it's ridiculous.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post
What you don't understand is Gilroy isn't clueless. What he has been is one of our better players down the stretch.

Your bias blinds you so much it's ridiculous.
Reality check: Gilroy hasn't even closely been one of our better players, have you even watched anybody but Gilroy?

Old
04-21-2011, 12:34 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
The greater hockey minds being paid for their services disagree with your pedestration evaluation of his talent. I'll take their professional opinion, over the biased garbage you're spewing.
Well, I would agree with this assessment, but Glen Sather is our GM. It can be hard to take his "professional opinion" seriously, at times.

04-21-2011, 12:38 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Quote:
Reality check: Gilroy hasn't even closely been one of our better players, have you even watched anybody but Gilroy?

Your problem is that any decent point you may make about Gilroy is completely lost and has no credibility because you so obviously personally hate him. We get it, you don't want him back and don't like his style of play. Unfortunately the Cap doesn't allow you to sign 6 first pair defensemen like you seem to want the Rangers to do.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
What game are you watching, he's creating as many oppurtunities as any Ranger on the rush and the pinch, I understand you're blinded by hatred....

Old
04-21-2011, 12:40 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Well, I would agree with this assessment, but Glen Sather is our GM. It can be hard to take his "professional opinion" seriously, at times.
I'm convinced the warrior in your avatar is the best defensive defensemen in the league...

Old
04-21-2011, 01:03 PM
TheGrapesOfMcIlrath
Gooey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
I'm convinced the warrior in your avatar is the best defensive defensemen in the league...
Girardi has amazing positioning, but his footspeed is pretty slow. And he's prone to getting torched 1v1 because of it. If he could somehow improve that aspect of his game, I would be prone to agree with you.

On Gilroy: I don't see how anyone can really be dissatisfied with his play this series. He pretty clearly has elevated his game, and has not made too many mistakes. He was responsible for that play Gordon made to setup that goal in game 2, but otherwise he's been pretty solid. Nobody has any delusions as to what Gilroy is: a 7th D. If we can get him on the cheap, he's as good an option as any.

TheGrapesOfMcIlrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 01:32 PM
azrok22

vCash: 3743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
Girardi has amazing positioning, but his footspeed is pretty slow. And he's prone to getting torched 1v1 because of it. If he could somehow improve that aspect of his game, I would be prone to agree with you.

On Gilroy: I don't see how anyone can really be dissatisfied with his play this series. He pretty clearly has elevated his game, and has not made too many mistakes. He was responsible for that play Gordon made to setup that goal in game 2, but otherwise he's been pretty solid. Nobody has any delusions as to what Gilroy is: a 7th D. If we can get him on the cheap, he's as good an option as any.
He's also been forced to play with McCabe, who has been atrocious. I'm hardly a Gilroy fan, but I'd be perfectly content with him in a 7th d-man role if he can play like he has this series when called upon.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

He's our only D-man who consistently can jump in and create offense. That's why he's earning his spot in the lineup. Also he's been alright in his own end. He's no defensive stud, but he's no McCabe either.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 04:41 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:

You're right. I have a "Gilroy" cam. He's the only player I watch. :

If you don't think he's been playing well this series you know nothing about the game of hockey. That, or your ignorance and hatred is far greater than I thought.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 05:55 PM
ltrangerfan

Watched Gilroy closely last night and have to agree that he is not the problem.

I watched him join the rush and had enough foot speed to hurry back to get into a defensive position.

Right now I'm reading that some are OK with him as the 7th D. I would prefer him as the 9th D (playing in the AHL or somewhere else) since that would mean that the team has upgraded their team. However, until I see others earn his spot I make him one of the six (assuming he is resigned).

I am constantly reading about how much the Rangers must pay to sign him. If the Rangers are competitive with other teams offers and Gilroy wishes to return to NY then I would sign him. Will he play for a team who cuts his salary... etc, etc? That's his call. I can't judge the probabilities of him returning.

In addition, Gilroy seems to on the improve despite his advanced age. I would sign him, if possible, to a contract I could live with until someone comes along who is a better fit. To date, I am reading about prospects who still must earn the job.

Last edited by ltrangerfan: 04-21-2011 at 06:04 PM.
ltrangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 06:12 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedwrister17 View Post
I thought Matty G has played pretty well in this series but he still shouldn't be anything other than a seventh d.
Yeah I mean he looks good at times, but other times him and McCabe are like

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 06:36 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

The issue isn't that McCabe-Gilroy is not a great pairing when talking about Gilroy's skill.

If Gilroy were paired with a real stay-at-home shut down type defenseman, Gilroy could use his skill set to be more effective on a more consistent basis.

Him jumping into the play and pinching and creating chances offensively is not something to knock him on.

It's up to his partner to recognize it, stay back, and it's up to one of the forwards to recognize it and stay back.

The defensemen SHOULD be encouraged to jump into the play and help create offense. Especially when you don't have a lineup very deep with legit scorers. Any offense generated is a plus.

Gilroy has been good. He's been strong on the puck, made good decisions with the puck in the defensive and neutral zones. And he's been physical enough.

I don't see the complaint, here.

Gilroy is NOT the problem.

If he accepts a cheap contract to stay with the Rangers, how is it a bad thing?

What about a Valentenko-Gilroy 3rd paring next season?

Or if Gilroy rotates as the 6th and 7th defenseman?

I really can't see the downside. He provides value when he's playing with confidence. He doesn't complain. He keeps his mouth shut and does what he's asked.

If the asking price is too much, walk away.

If he comes cheap, keep him.

I like him at least as the 7th defenseman.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote