HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Off Season Talk Thread

Old
04-21-2011, 07:57 AM
Rangers44*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
To me Richards won't bring us a Cup, but he guarantees more middle of the pack mediocrity. Exactly the direction we want to avoid. A franchise is going in the right direction if they're either on top, or on the bottom going towards the top. The Rangers are in the middle traveling horizontally. That gets you absolutely nowhere, and Richards will only worsen that.
if you want to avoid mediocrity you either have to tank several seasons in a row to get top 3 picks or you get a top coach and get rid of the likes of Christensen, Gilroy, Drury, etc.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 08:04 AM
pwoz

I hope Gabo-groin is gone at the draft.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 08:35 AM
Vitto79

holy crap guys Torts has done a good job getting this team to play hard each and every night. He's obviously not going anywhere. They are building a team and he is one the main reasons they are favored to sign Brad Richards.

It's real simple for me

Sign RFA's- Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov, Sauer, Boyle, Gilroy. Get the best deals possible of course

Let UFA's walk. I like Vinny and Feds alot but not sure how they can fit given the cap
Eminger, Frolov, White whatever see ya

Buy out Drury- to save on the cap
Dump EC for a pick

Won't be shocked if a vet 5/6 Dman comes in. Although I would like Valentenko to make the team. I also want them to give one rookie F a spot so either Grachev or Hagelin whoever earns it

and the big one of course sign Brad Richards

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 08:36 AM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140

I dont believe he is going to ask for a ton of money. He only had 10 goals in the regular season and I think he knows his role. He fits in very well on this team, his style of play fits in well with our style of play and he always steps it up in the playoffs!

I believe 1.5 per year for 2 years would be about right for him. We might even get him for a little less if he really wants to stay here...and he does seem to enjoy playing here.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 08:38 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
To me Richards won't bring us a Cup, but he guarantees more middle of the pack mediocrity. Exactly the direction we want to avoid. A franchise is going in the right direction if they're either on top, or on the bottom going towards the top. The Rangers are in the middle traveling horizontally. That gets you absolutely nowhere, and Richards will only worsen that.
It kills me to read stuff like this. How the heck does signing a #1 C who knows Torts' system hurt the team?

He's not an old geezer. Yea in yr 3-5 or so he may not be as good I understand that but he is not Drury and Gomez. They were Defensive players that got a few goals. Holik was too

Stop freaking about spending moeny on BR. The team needs a top end talent to play on the 1st line.

It will make the Pack line, Stepan, Boyle and others on the depth chart better

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 08:43 AM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
Out:

Tortorella
Sullivan
Prospal
Christensen
Gilroy
McCabe
Boogaard
Drury

In:

Richards
Markov
Fedotenko
Bob Hartley/or somebody with a clue

Probation period:

Wolski
Del Zotto
Gaborik
Stepan
Ok so get rid of the coaches that have gotten simply the best possible out of this team and finally got them to play with aggression and an edge?

Get rid of Vinny Prospal? After all the clutch things he has done this year? He was nearly a point-per-game player after coming off of IR.

Again... I don't get the Gilroy hate...he has become a serviceable 6th D-Man.

Yeah Richards in obviously...Feds too. Markov is coming off season ending knee surgery and a season before that in which he scored half as many points as the year before.

And honestly...I can agree with Wolski, Gabby and DZ being on the probation period...BUT STEPAN? The kid is 20 YEARS OLD, potted 20 goals and was in the top 5 on the team in scoring...REALLY?

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 09:21 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
This team over achieved which is a bad thing. It gives fans false hope and worst of all Dolan and Sather too.

I think trading Gaborik for 2 or 3 soild pieces would be a wise move for the future. Maybe trade up in the draft as well. Sign Richards or don't it doesn't make a difference to me. Retain Prospal and maybe Feds. Ditch EC,Eminger, McCabe, Wolski, and Avery. Hope Drury retires. See what you can get for Boyle maybe and think about trading some spare parts.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 09:30 AM
Leetch66

Anismov has to gain some muscle in the off season or find a way to get more physical...he can't continue to be pushed off the puck that easy if he wants top minutes on this team . Personally I would ship him because I don't think he will ever amount to anything that will resemble any kind of force for us . Maybe give him 1 more chance...half a season to show up or move him .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 09:37 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
I think Anisimov will improve even more next year he had a 16 point increase in production and was better defensively. He also wasn't caught with his head down nearly as much. He needs to be more physical and bulk up I agree. But giving up on him after 2.5 years would be stupid.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 09:58 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

IMO this team is in a real tough position.

On one hand none of us want to see Richards turn out like Drury or Redden if we bring him in here.

On the other hand, we are devoid of first line players and a few of our prospects who might be first line talents are a few years away.

So we either sign Richards for the big $$$, he comes here and he is a success and we have a legit top line, or he falters and we have another big contract that we can't move.

Or we pass up on Richards and continue to struggle offensively until MAYBE a few of our prospects turn into first line players.

Ugh.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 09:59 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

My prediction? Richards re-signs in Dallas. Sather brings in Tim Connolly and Simon Gagne to play with Gaborik. On the first shift of the regular season, all 3 players collide and are knocked unconscious.

The Flat Line is born.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 10:13 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Don't feel like talking about the off-season yet? Then don't post in this thread.

Pretty simple.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 10:22 AM
CH2

My baseless predictions:

-I don't think Richards signs with the Rangers, I really think he'll go somewhere for a little less money than his best offer in order to play on a great team.

-Sather trades for a 1-2 year solution to the problem down the center. (I really think it'll be Derek Roy)

-Rangers draft a center with their first round pick.

-Pitkanen or Babchuk is brought in as the #5 defenseman.

-Krieder will be signed.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 10:25 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Sather has got to get it right this summer.

04-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Melrose_Jr.

It's too early for me to be thinking about UFA wish lists.

First off, so much hinges on what you do with Redden and Drury. If they're not dealt with by June 30th, adjust your UFA wish lists accordingly.

Second, the RFA's. How much $$ do you allot for Dubinbsky, Callahan, Sauer and Anisimov? Are you keeping them all?

Finally, pending UFA's. Who of Frolov, Prospal, Fedotenko and McCabe are staying, if any?

The people you retain and the money they earn ultimately dictates the way you head into the free agent market. Ok if you say you've got your eye on Tanguay (just as one example), but it doesn't make a lot of sense to bring in a player like that if you're retaining any or all of your current UFA wingers IMO.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 10:47 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Richards or GTFO. If we can't sign him, stay put, no Markov, no Pitkanen. Maybe trade for a 1st line center. There are better D options next summer. Drury/Wolski come off the books and Ryan Suter and Brent Burns are UFA.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 11:58 AM
Rangers44*

Why would anybody want to bring back Prospal? Sure he was surprisingly good for us, but at 36, with his bad knees and poor speed it would be a mistake to re-sign him. He also looked pretty bad and ineffective in the playoffs.

Old
04-21-2011, 12:02 PM
eco's bones

The only thing that worries me about Richards is length of contract. I have to think he's got about 3 or 4 excellent years left in him. Going beyond that is where the Rangers can get themselves into trouble. I would not compare him to Drury or Gomez who never really were go to guys on their team. Redden had already been declining for a couple years before we signed him. Richards hasn't really shown these kind of signs yet and I think there is a very good chance if the Rangers can free up some cap space he comes here. I think we could use an upgrade of our bottom pairing defense--McCabe, Eminger--not re-signed. I think the Rangers try to keep Gilroy and hope MDZ can improve.

Hopefully we can not only bring in Richards but also keep Prospal and Fedotenko. At this time that's questionable.

A couple steps need to be taken--1) try to convince Drury to retire--if not, buy him out. 2) try to get Redden to release himself from his contract 3) on whether Boogaard is even capable of returning the Rangers need to try to get that cap space back as well.

Two other potential steps to free up cash (if needed)--1) moving or buying out Wolski 2) buying out Avery. I'm more inclined to the first than the second.

Prospects with a reasonable chance of filling holes--MDZ and Valentenko on d. MZA, Kreider, Hagelin, Grachev and Weise at forward.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
The only thing that worries me about Richards is length of contract. I have to think he's got about 3 or 4 excellent years left in him. Going beyond that is where the Rangers can get themselves into trouble. I would not compare him to Drury or Gomez who never really were go to guys on their team. Redden had already been declining for a couple years before we signed him. Richards hasn't really shown these kind of signs yet and I think there is a very good chance if the Rangers can free up some cap space he comes here. I think we could use an upgrade of our bottom pairing defense--McCabe, Eminger--not re-signed. I think the Rangers try to keep Gilroy and hope MDZ can improve.

Hopefully we can not only bring in Richards but also keep Prospal and Fedotenko. At this time that's questionable.

A couple steps need to be taken--1) try to convince Drury to retire--if not, buy him out. 2) try to get Redden to release himself from his contract 3) on whether Boogaard is even capable of returning the Rangers need to try to get that cap space back as well.

Two other potential steps to free up cash (if needed)--1) moving or buying out Wolski 2) buying out Avery. I'm more inclined to the first than the second.

Prospects with a reasonable chance of filling holes--MDZ and Valentenko on d. MZA, Kreider, Hagelin, Grachev and Weise at forward.
Playmakers age better than powerforwards. It is brobably not a huge gamble, he is only 31 (which used to be the age when players became UFA prior to the lockout)

Old
04-21-2011, 12:29 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
My prediction? Richards re-signs in Dallas. Sather brings in Tim Connolly and Simon Gagne to play with Gaborik. On the first shift of the regular season, all 3 players collide and are knocked unconscious.

The Flat Line is born.

And then we have Andrei Markov who trips over them and breaks his leg on defense...

but don't worry! We traded for stalwart Rick DiPietro...surely he won't be hurt anytime soon.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 12:43 PM
nyrleetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
Why would anybody want to bring back Prospal? Sure he was surprisingly good for us, but at 36, with his bad knees and poor speed it would be a mistake to re-sign him. He also looked pretty bad and ineffective in the playoffs.

You said before the year you wanted him gone and you said he would have a bad year.

nyrleetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 03:00 PM
eco's bones

There are several players I wouldn't be interested in just because of their injury histories. Markov would be one of them. I'd be especially leery of players who have had multiple concussions--Connolly and Gagne for example. Connolly is a soft type to boot. We've been through this before with Lindros, Lafontaine and Bure and Fleury if you want to include psychological problems. There are reasons some times that teams let people go. The Rangers core is young and we've got more young players to add to it the next few years. Best to keep that--but when you add a vet to make sure they're in good condition and can help the team in the way you expect and which doesn't hamper the cap for more than they're worth. I think the Rangers expectations in the past for any number of free agent signings were a lot higher than they should have been and in a lot of cases we paid an awful price to get them.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 03:41 PM
Ail
k.

lol @ Markov...

That guy has been perpetually hurt for who knows how long. Screw that ****. I can't even fathom the comments that we would hear about that blunder the minute he gets hurt.

Seriously, just no.

04-21-2011, 03:48 PM
EEDAWGZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post

The Flat Line is born.

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 04:11 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
This team over achieved which is a bad thing. It gives fans false hope and worst of all Dolan and Sather too.

I think trading Gaborik for 2 or 3 soild pieces would be a wise move for the future. Maybe trade up in the draft as well. Sign Richards or don't it doesn't make a difference to me. Retain Prospal and maybe Feds. Ditch EC,Eminger, McCabe, Wolski, and Avery. Hope Drury retires. See what you can get for Boyle maybe and think about trading some spare parts.
Did they really overachieve? They ended up in pretty much the same position as last season except that they won their last game instead of losing and a few other results go their way to scrape into 8th.

I can see your point if you are talking about maintaining the same level with injuries to key players and a slumping Gabby, but overall they were right where many people had them, battling for 8th in the east.

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote