HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Gabby make a difference?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-21-2011, 02:23 AM
  #101
D3ADLY
Registered User
 
D3ADLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Clouds
Country: Pakistan
Posts: 1,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike NHL View Post
Holy S*it i just saw the highlights dammmmm what the heck was Gaborik thinking? Rangers fans you guys just got screwed badddddd. Gabby better score a hattrick or something next game other wise i can see Sather trading him for bag of pucks. I would be that pissed atleast.

D3ADLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 02:34 AM
  #102
Dagh
Registered User
 
Dagh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike NHL View Post
Goal and assist, no wonder he's happy about his game.

Dagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 02:38 AM
  #103
Glennsoe
Horndog
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Norway
Posts: 4,049
vCash: 500
Answer is yes...

Now we know he's not a defender..

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 04:20 AM
  #104
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
you can't really fault what Gaborik was trying to do. Hank made an aggresive play to try and cover the puck, Gabby was just trying to do what most players would do and clear the puck away from a dangerous zone with Chimera coming in hard.

Gaborik was one of our best players tonight, save maybe Fedotenko. So to get on him because of one play is really unfair regardless, especially when we blew a 3-0 lead going into the 3rd period and failed to convert a gift powerplay earlier in OT to get that far into OT...

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 04:23 AM
  #105
Patriks7
Registered User
 
Patriks7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 603
vCash: 500
He just wanted to score more than one goal...

Patriks7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 05:17 AM
  #106
AJRanger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Essex
Country: England
Posts: 2,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
you can't really fault what Gaborik was trying to do. Hank made an aggresive play to try and cover the puck, Gabby was just trying to do what most players would do and clear the puck away from a dangerous zone with Chimera coming in hard.

Gaborik was one of our best players tonight, save maybe Fedotenko. So to get on him because of one play is really unfair regardless, especially when we blew a 3-0 lead going into the 3rd period and failed to convert a gift powerplay earlier in OT to get that far into OT...
Yep, agreed 100% with this.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 05:23 AM
  #107
HispA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
you can't really fault what Gaborik was trying to do. Hank made an aggresive play to try and cover the puck, Gabby was just trying to do what most players would do and clear the puck away from a dangerous zone with Chimera coming in hard.

Gaborik was one of our best players tonight, save maybe Fedotenko. So to get on him because of one play is really unfair regardless, especially when we blew a 3-0 lead going into the 3rd period and failed to convert a gift powerplay earlier in OT to get that far into OT...
Look where you have #10 on the first Caps-goal. Failed to be able to recieve the puck and Rangers got stuck in their own end. These little things that could cost you a game.

HispA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 05:27 AM
  #108
riz
Registered User
 
riz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,481
vCash: 500
Short answer: no.

Yes, he can be a difference maker when he is healthy, when he has the room and when he wants it. But it seems very rare for those conditions to click all at the same time.

He has been awfully hesitant to release his shot this season and hasn't been able to pick corners too often. Mostly straight at the logo in the chest. Only late in the season he has been starting to pull back from the defender on a rush, cutting to the middle to have room to release his shot, instead of trying to chip the puck past the defender and somehow trying to get past.

I'll give him the first few months of next season to redeem himself.

riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 06:05 AM
  #109
Chris 84
Registered User
 
Chris 84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HispA View Post
Look where you have #10 on the first Caps-goal. Failed to be able to recieve the puck and Rangers got stuck in their own end. These little things that could cost you a game.
McDonagh has to take the responsibility for that one.

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 06:39 AM
  #110
jacko23
KCCO!
 
jacko23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Greensboro, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike NHL View Post
HORRIBLE photoshop job.... Gaborik's taller.

seriously though, you cant blame him entirely for that last one. he was just doing what anyone else would most likely do in that situation--he was just trying to get the puck away from the front of the net. if girardi would have made the same play with the same results, you would have excused him, but because gabby is the whipping boy of the moment, we want him traded. good thing hes not a defensive forward.....

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 07:30 AM
  #111
bumrusherer
Registered User
 
bumrusherer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko23 View Post
HORRIBLE photoshop job.... Gaborik's taller.

seriously though, you cant blame him entirely for that last one. he was just doing what anyone else would most likely do in that situation--he was just trying to get the puck away from the front of the net. if girardi would have made the same play with the same results, you would have excused him, but because gabby is the whipping boy of the moment, we want him traded. good thing hes not a defensive forward.....
If anything, in that situation dont you just nudge the puck back to your goalie to help him cover it up?

Henrik was right there and the puck was moving as fast as paint drys.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 07:39 AM
  #112
BrianNYR
Registered User
 
BrianNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 148
vCash: 500
Blame?
It was a bad bounce. The bounces weren't going our way all night if you noticed.
First goal, bounced around under Hanky.
Second, Dubi missed his check on the back door.
Third, shot was going wide and went off a handle of a stick.

BrianNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 09:12 AM
  #113
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HispA View Post
Look where you have #10 on the first Caps-goal. Failed to be able to recieve the puck and Rangers got stuck in their own end. These little things that could cost you a game.
Are you kidding me? Gaborik's breaking out -- It's not his responsibility nor does he have the responsibility to make sure no one's coming to pick that pass off. That's almost all on McDonagh. You can give Gaborik flac for leaving the zone so quick, but you could also argue McD has to make that pass sooner

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 09:21 AM
  #114
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Are you kidding me? Gaborik's breaking out -- It's not his responsibility nor does he have the responsibility to make sure no one's coming to pick that pass off. That's almost all on McDonagh. You can give Gaborik flac for leaving the zone so quick, but you could also argue McD has to make that pass sooner
Dont you know the deal by now? If you're young/homegrown than you are bulletproof around here. Its much easier to pin the fault of pivotal goals in this series on Gaborik and Drury rather than McDonagh and Staal

But seriously, while Gaborik made a boneheaded play on the OT goal, I thought he played pretty well last night.

Our younger players, on the other hand, have been pretty bad - specificially the Wisconsin boys, and SPECIFICALLY Derek Stepan who has been just brutal these 4 games. Yup, they're young, gaining experience, yada yada yada, but thats the truth.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 09:57 AM
  #115
EEDAWGZ
Registered User
 
EEDAWGZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Queens,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 857
vCash: 500
um OK ,defend Gaborik who has done absolutely nothing the past month, and throw the rookie who's playing his first NHL playoff series under the bus, good logic

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 10:20 AM
  #116
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEDAWGZ View Post
um OK ,defend Gaborik who has done absolutely nothing the past month, and throw the rookie who's playing his first NHL playoff series under the bus, good logic
Its not about logic, its being objective and stating what happened. McDonagh's terrible turnover was the catalyst for a slide in which the team never really recovered.

Listen, Im all for developing the youth and all that stuff. But when it comes to playoff hockey, Im not looking at tenure, paychecks, or anything like that.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 11:17 AM
  #117
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEDAWGZ View Post
um OK ,defend Gaborik who has done absolutely nothing the past month, and throw the rookie who's playing his first NHL playoff series under the bus, good logic
No one is blaming McDonagh for the loss. But that goal is on him. Tortarella acknowledged that it was in the post game presser. So to put the first caps goal on Gaborik is incorrect.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 11:35 AM
  #118
LamoTheKid
Registered User
 
LamoTheKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
No one is blaming McDonagh for the loss. But that goal is on him. Tortarella acknowledged that it was in the post game presser. So to put the first caps goal on Gaborik is incorrect.
He's the whipping boy this year.

The amount of vitrol coming from sec 412 when I was at the game on Sat was mindnumbingly stupid.

I don't give the guy a pass, not at all, but there are much bigger problems with this team than Gaborik.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 11:38 AM
  #119
Reijo R
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 149
vCash: 500
What happened to Gaborik's stick-handling? Why is it that every time he comes into the zone on the wing and tries to make a move, he loses the puck? Can someone explain this to me?

Yet another failed, high-priced free agency signing. Can't wait until Sather blows a ton of cap space on the aging, costly and now concussion-prone Brad Richards next year. Will he ever learn?

Reijo R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 11:44 AM
  #120
Dr. Ogrodnick
Registered User
 
Dr. Ogrodnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumrusherer View Post
If anything, in that situation dont you just nudge the puck back to your goalie to help him cover it up?

Henrik was right there and the puck was moving as fast as paint drys.
Gabs was also skating towards Lundqvist and Chimera, so he should have known that the obvious play was to let your goalie close those last 3 inches and cover the puck, and that Chimera was nowhere close to getting to it. Such a stupid play on Gabs part. Completely taints the pretty good game he had up until that point, and has probably made him public enemy #1 to garden goers.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 11:44 AM
  #121
LamoTheKid
Registered User
 
LamoTheKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reijo R View Post
What happened to Gaborik's stick-handling? Why is it that every time he comes into the zone on the wing and tries to make a move, he loses the puck? Can someone explain this to me?
Were we watching the same game? He dangled a few times, was spot on with his passes, and had good positioning for most of the game. Have you not noticed that this team overall severly lacks a puck carrying center and that we're pretty much a dump and chase team?

That is FAR from being Gaborik's problem because it's never really been what he's done. NO one on this team is good at transitioning into the offensive zone. Even Dubi is a bonehead when it comes to that (but he's better than most of our roster at it).

Quote:
Yet another failed, high-priced free agency signing. Can't wait until Sather blows a ton of cap space on the aging, costly and now concussion-prone Brad Richards next year. Will he ever learn?
Yep, a failure, 2 years in and at pretty much the same pricetag Minnesota had him at. Boy he's a failure alright, a failure that carried our team last year, and even in a bad season potted 20 goals. How quickly people forget. :

(I agree on Richards though, I want no part of him)

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 11:55 AM
  #122
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reijo R View Post
What happened to Gaborik's stick-handling? Why is it that every time he comes into the zone on the wing and tries to make a move, he loses the puck? Can someone explain this to me?

Yet another failed, high-priced free agency signing. Can't wait until Sather blows a ton of cap space on the aging, costly and now concussion-prone Brad Richards next year. Will he ever learn?
Im not so sure anything has happened to Gaborik's stick handling. I dont think hes ever been a great or even good 1 on 1 player. Last season, when he was scoring goals in bunches, he seemed to be using his speed more to find open space - not to mention his shot seemed much more potent. This season its become painfully obvious that he needs a running mate, one that will get him the puck in ideal scoring conditions - a player like that Brad Richards guy.

Look, its not perfect with Gaborik's injury history and now Richards' concussion issue, but where is this team going to go if they continue to import and export the supposed higher end talent each season? Its been a real troubling trend since the day Jagr left.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 11:56 AM
  #123
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,693
vCash: 500
Meh, Gaborik readily admitted that he had no clue that Lundqvist was about to cover the puck, nor did he realize where Chimera was on the ice either.

I understand what Gaborik was trying to do, but his on-ice awareness had to better in that situation. It seems like far too many players on this team just focus on the puck instead of what is going on around them. The Caps have scored a lot of goals in this series where the Rangers haven't been alert on the ice.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 12:04 PM
  #124
Dr. Ogrodnick
Registered User
 
Dr. Ogrodnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Meh, Gaborik readily admitted that he had no clue that Lundqvist was about to cover the puck, nor did he realize where Chimera was on the ice either.

I understand what Gaborik was trying to do, but his on-ice awareness had to better in that situation. It seems like far too many players on this team just focus on the puck instead of what is going on around them. The Caps have scored a lot of goals in this series where the Rangers haven't been alert on the ice.

Sooo, he didn't see the big guy in pads right in front of him that was inches away from the puck? What is he, a 12 year old girl playing floor hockey in gym class? Maybe then that would be a viable excuse.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 12:10 PM
  #125
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ogrodnick View Post
Sooo, he didn't see the big guy in pads right in front of him that was inches away from the puck? What is he, a 12 year old girl playing floor hockey in gym class? Maybe then that would be a viable excuse.
I love the micro-analysis going around here, from this Gaborik play to the 1st goal where the ref apparently should have blown the play dead even though the puck was never frozen.

These seemingly big moments don't drive me crazy because when I ask myself "did the Rangers deserve to win this game," the answer is no. Besides a fluke goal from behind the net and a 7 second spurt, there werent many bright spots.

0-7 on the PP was the most disasterous thing of all.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.