HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dan Girardi

Old
04-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

vCash: 500
Dan Girardi

Gotta give credit where credit is due, Girardi is a warrior and probably the best defensive defensemen in the league, 8 shot blocks last night, 3 in one sequence in the 3rd period, 2 on Ovechkin in one shift, rock solid, throws the body with Ovechkin being his biggest target, plays 30 minutes a game and rarely, very rarely makes a mistake, where would we be w/o him?

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 01:57 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Agreed, easily one of my favorite players on this squad and integral to their success not only this past season but moving on. Very, very underrated throughout the league. Not bad at all for an undrafted player, eh? Scouting found us a diamond in the rough.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 02:06 PM
DoTheBlue
Great Expectations

How can you not like the guy. There can't possibly be anything under that uniform but one big gigantic bruise.

DoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 02:07 PM
NYRSchrute217

He's not the best defensive defensemen in the league. Not even close. But as lost as he looks at times without Staal the two compliment each other extremely well and Girardi's developed into a great #2. Nice to see one of our own and an undrafted kid has developed so nicely.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 02:10 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Problem with Danny G is that he looks lost without Staal sometimes.

The chemistry him and Staal have though is great. Together they're a great shutdown pair. Girardi is a warrior and it's crazy what he does sometimes- I think in Game 3 of this series, Semin comes flying in with nobody around him and lets loose a laser, and Girardi ****ing jumps right in front of it, gets blasted in the chest or the ribs or something so hard that it sounds like the puck hit Hanks pad, and gets right back up.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 02:10 PM
ecemleafs

blocking shots does not make u the best defensive dman in the league.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 02:11 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

I love Danny G

Swept In Seven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 02:34 PM
bumrusherer

True warrior...It will be interesting to see how he plays next season though. Can he be expected to achieve the same amount of success next season? Surely his body wont be able to take the same beating.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 02:35 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

I don't think Girardi alone is the best defensive d-man, but the Staal-Girardi pairing is probably one of the top shutdown pairings in the league.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 02:42 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Problem with Danny G is that he looks lost without Staal sometimes.

The chemistry him and Staal have though is great. Together they're a great shutdown pair. Girardi is a warrior and it's crazy what he does sometimes- I think in Game 3 of this series, Semin comes flying in with nobody around him and lets loose a laser, and Girardi ****ing jumps right in front of it, gets blasted in the chest or the ribs or something so hard that it sounds like the puck hit Hanks pad, and gets right back up.
When is the last time you've even seen Girardi without Staal? With all the hate that came his way before this year it seems like the first step those people are taking is, yeah he's alright I guess. Skip that step and assess how he's actually been. Kid's a stud defensive Dman.

Sorry if it came across like I'm killing your comment because most of it is very flattering towards Girardi, the first part just bothered me and led me into how some people can't just accept the guy yet.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 02:43 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
I don't think Girardi alone is the best defensive d-man, but the Staal-Girardi pairing is probably one of the top shutdown pairings in the league.
Agreed...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 03:02 PM
NYROrtsFan

Ya, Girardi's not the best, I actually believe Staal is.

Girardi's good though. Very good defenseman and someone we should try to keep for along while.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 03:06 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Staal and Girardi just play really well together. Staal plays well with anyone, but Girardi really seems to compliment him. a # 1 defensive pair for about 7 million bucks. totally worth it. if we could fix our 3rd pairing we'd be set.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 03:11 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
When is the last time you've even seen Girardi without Staal? With all the hate that came his way before this year it seems like the first step those people are taking is, yeah he's alright I guess. Skip that step and assess how he's actually been. Kid's a stud defensive Dman.

Sorry if it came across like I'm killing your comment because most of it is very flattering towards Girardi, the first part just bothered me and led me into how some people can't just accept the guy yet.
When Staal was out for that 3~ game stretch with a twisted knee or whatever Danny was brutal. Past that though he's been a rock.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 03:17 PM
bettercallstaal
Custom User Title

Girardi is awesome. He's a warrior and he is as fearless as they come. I don't know how he didn't get drafted.

bettercallstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 04:01 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
He's not the best defensive defensemen in the league. Not even close. But as lost as he looks at times without Staal the two compliment each other extremely well and Girardi's developed into a great #2. Nice to see one of our own and an undrafted kid has developed so nicely.
yeah, "best defensive defensemen in the league?" hyperbole much? sure he leads in certain categories but give me Chara over Girardi by a country mile. I still think Sather is crazy to pony up $6.5M for Redden but think Chara is not worth the $7.5M that he got from Boston. $7.5M was definitely expensive but Chara >>>>>>> Redden, and I'm talking about the summer he went UFA and Ottawa decided to extend Redden over him. Today, I'd need the entire front page of the NYT to fill all the > marks.

Staal >>> Girardi as well so I didn't really have to go so far off the farm to find a better defensive d. :p

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 04:09 PM
eco's bones

The second pair of Sauer--McDonagh is like a younger version of Staal--Girardi. The Rangers can play the **** out of them. They're all horses. Not a lot of offense though. The one missing element.

In Girardi's case I'm amazed that so many poster's here are always trying to trade him. He's like a rock and rarely gets injured--is fairly physical but doesn't take many trips to the penalty box. Led the Rangers in blocked shots and the D in points. He and Staal have kept Ovechkin's line fairly quiet--not an easy thing to do. Might not be the best defensive d-man but there are not very many who are better.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Ice Hockey

i'll be completely honest and admit i thought he was soft and broke down during the playoff push/playoffs the last couple years.... but damn has he changed. not enough can be said about what he's done for this team this season. the ONLY weapon he doesn't have is a shot, although i've seen him rip one occasionally.

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Jersey Girl

I like Girardi a LOT. A guy who works that hard and sacrifices his body that often can play for my team anytime.

But anyone who says he's the best defensive defenseman in the league, probably needs to watch more of the rest of the league. Girardi's good, really good. But let's not go crazy here.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 04:30 PM
Ice Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
I like Girardi a LOT. A guy who works that hard and sacrifices his body that often can play for my team anytime.

But anyone who says he's the best defensive defenseman in the league, probably needs to watch more of the rest of the league. Girardi's good, really good. But let's not go crazy here.
i don't think it's that far of a reach to suggest girardi being among the top defensive dmen. who would you clearly put over him?

Old
04-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Hockey View Post
i don't think it's that far of a reach to suggest girardi being among the top defensive dmen. who would you clearly put over him?
Oh my goodness...despite the obvious list of probable hall of famers Chara, Pronger, and Lidstrom, there are a ton of other candidates...Weber, Seabrook, Keith, Staal, Montador, Orpik, Martin, and a whole bunch of others I'm not thinking of at the moment.

And the statement of the OP that I challenged was that Girardi is 'probably the best defensive defenseman in the league'. Your statement that he's 'among the top defensive d-men' is a little different.

Among? I don't know...perhaps you can make an argument based on his blocked shots that he's 'among'. Probably the best in the league? I think not.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 05:00 PM
Ice Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Oh my goodness...despite the obvious list of probable hall of famers Chara, Pronger, and Lidstrom, there are a ton of other candidates...Weber, Seabrook, Keith, Staal, Montador, Orpik, Martin, and a whole bunch of others I'm not thinking of at the moment.

And the statement of the OP that I challenged was that Girardi is 'probably the best defensive defenseman in the league'. Your statement that he's 'among the top defensive d-men' is a little different.

Among? I don't know...perhaps you can make an argument based on his blocked shots that he's 'among'. Probably the best in the league? I think not.

::scratches head::

perhaps the fact that he leads the league in blocked shots would put him in that group of best defensive dmen? you may be onto something!

Old
04-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post

Not even close, your opinion, not mine, maybe Chara, that's about it, not saying o and d just d he hits, he finishes checks, blocks shots, makes smart plays, smart breakout passes, he's a warrior, one of the only guys who protects Hank and he is slightly better than Staal...in my opinion...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 05:36 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Hockey View Post
::scratches head::

perhaps the fact that he leads the league in blocked shots would put him in that group of best defensive dmen? you may be onto something!
I certainly believe that he deserves to be mentioned as one of the best overall defenders in the game. Not only his shot blocking, but his first pass and vision are up there as well. In my opinion he's the most underrated defender in the game.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 05:53 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

TSN featured a couple articles on their site about the Rangers/Caps series and there were some quotes from Ovechkin about the Staal & Girardi pairing, which were complimentary in nature.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote