HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Logical/Non-emotional "What's wrong w/Penner?" discussion

Old
04-21-2011, 12:12 AM
Nose of Sutter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKampfer View Post
Hard to watch this guy. Him and Ryan Smyth are way too much money tied up to overrated guys. Thing is Smyth is freakin money in the playoffs and busts his ass. Penner doesnt care.

Even before last night he could be the NHLer I would most love to see in a bar and punch with a lighter packed in my fist.

The organization should send him to Manchester and call up Schenn if they lose tomorrow. Send a message about winning, the talent is there but this guy is despicable and rubs everyone who supports the NHL the wrong way with his lack of caring. If Schenn gets called up in time for G5 and there is a G6 the building will be rocking and everyone will be behind the organization for being proactive. I give him one more game to redeem himself. Someone will take Dustin on waivers, especially a team like the Isles or Panthers who will need to add a guy with a notable salary to reach the cap basement.
I would love for that to happen, just put moller in penner's spot line could look like Moller-Schenn-Williams maybe

Nose of Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 12:27 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I'm gonna go with DeeMeck. Edmonton was a faster team so the speed of play should help Penner. Anaheim had a faster team as well, he never appeared as slow as he does now. Some players don't like to cycle, they like for the center to do the work while they camp out in front of the net or in the slot. Penner is being directed behind the net into the corners and he probably doesn't like it. I think it could be weak centers as well. The Kings don't have any great passers up front right now, if you view yourself as a shooter this can be very frustrating. I'd bet the majority of times Penner touches the puck he's below the goal line and he doesn't like it.
You sound like you're making excuses for him. It's not the system, it's not the centers, it's HIM. He already said the system he came from in Edmonton is basically the same as it is here in LA, and it's not like the centers he's playing with here are any worse.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 01:23 AM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
Lombardi probably thought he'd provide some help for Kopitar at the end of the year and in the playoffs. And Penner thought it would be great getting pucks from Kopi while Kopi did all the skating. Lord knows, Kopi can skate enough for Penner and Kopi both! But now no Kopi! Lombardi took a chance that didn't pay off.

Unhappily, I remember seeing his arms in a video piece shortly after the trade and thinking, "hope his legs are in better shape". Jason Allison comes to mind. Anyone else?
I dont recall Allison having the same issues. Yes he was slower than molasses on a 30 degree night but he came to play every night and could put up the points.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 03:45 AM
5cupstandard

hey guys oilfan here.... i missed game 3 but saw 1 and 2. game 1 I didnt get to see much of him. i think he played 6-8 minutes (probably coaching decision). In game 2 he looked like he was playing like the Penner that he was last year. I think just from past reasoning it could be how he is being coached. When Pat Quinn was our coach last year he was a wrecking force, mostly cause he was playing down low in the offensive zone, that is where he is most effective. When D.P. wants the puck its his and everyone else might as well find another. Give him some time he'll settle in. Its not like teubort was fitting in there anyway.

anyways good luck guys. win a cup for smytty n stolly

5cupstandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 10:03 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Would the world come to an end if Sweet Dougie Gilmour was named the next coach of the Kings?

My Friend Ron would love it. He's the only guy I'll bring to the game wearing another team's jersey, and YES he wears a Toronto Gilmour jersey. From breaking Sandstroms forearm with a vicious slash, to playing "who can top this" with Gretzky in Game 7 of the Campbell Conference Finals in '93, there are few who are more competitive and bring more fire and heart to the game. He would be the emotional antithesis to Timid TM .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
DeBoer is out there. Dineen is still toiling in the AHL. Patty Roy could be a choice. Tocchet and Granato could be brought in.
Dineen would be on the short list. If Tippett doesnt want to move North, he'd be at the top. Granato seems to be doing great with Pittsburgh too. Not a fan of Patrick as a coach. Boughner should also be looked at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
You sound like you're making excuses for him. It's not the system, it's not the centers, it's HIM. He already said the system he came from in Edmonton is basically the same as it is here in LA, and it's not like the centers he's playing with here are any worse.
Well, I am not sure that is true. The system is not really the same. And our cycle does not give him the time to set up in front like he did in EDM and with the waterfowl.

But no excuses, that Tub 'O Lard has to do something positive, and for me that would start and end tonight with making certain a particular section of pine stayed warm under his butt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
I dont recall Allison having the same issues. Yes he was slower than molasses on a 30 degree night but he came to play every night and could put up the points.
Stealing my lines now are we? I've been calling Handzus "Molasses (on a cold winter's day)" for months. But you can use it for Penner, as it may be more apt. At least Handzus tries to play defense.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 10:52 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

I have to say, I've watched him closely on tv since we traded for him, but nothing compares to seeing his lackluster effort on the ice in person. I was at Tuesday's game, the first since we acquired him, and was pretty shocked. He seems to be coasting, doesn't care and plays at half speed. Right before he made that beautiful pass, I screamed "WAKE THE F UP PENNER". Seriously, like 30 seconds after he made that great pass to Zus. I'm not sure what his issue is, but I sure hope that he fixes it in the off season and we get the 20+ goal scorer and the good player we saw the first 3 games he was here next season. He's been down right terrible since Kopi and Willy got hurt.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Fat Elvis

Frolov 2.0 Talent combined with no heart, drive or balls.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 01:32 PM
damacles1156

And this is way Dean needs to stick to his guns. He took a risk going outside of his (Right player, right attitude) pickup.

So far it's bit him in the ass. The other funny part; some people that are now lambasting him for it. Were the exact same people *****ing and Moaning for him to make a move.

So this is what you get.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 02:00 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
And this is way Dean needs to stick to his guns. He took a risk going outside of his (Right player, right attitude) pickup.

So far it's bit him in the ass. The other funny part; some people that are now lambasting him for it. Were the exact same people *****ing and Moaning for him to make a move.

So this is what you get.
Yep, fortunately we didn't give up one of our higher rated prospects to get him, but the 1st rounder hurts.

I was hoping for more, but as I said when he appeared to be on the Kings' radar, I was not impressed by Penner in the games he played for the Oilers against the Kings. Deadline deals rarely work out the way you hope they will.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Ollie Weeks

Even if he never truly fits in, he'll be tolerable with Penner and Williams next season. That might be the best we can hope for, and its definately not the worst outcome.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 02:09 PM
bobafettish*

combination of system and penner being a fat lazy turd.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Shellz

Penner isn't skating. Even though it is optional. I would have liked to hear that he was on the ice, but whatever.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Ollie Weeks

btw, where's our GDT?

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 02:40 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

first, this scenario will play out a little too predictably. Penner will work hard this offseason, come into camp in the "best shape of his life," and score 30 goals and get a fat contract

second, for those wondering about a head coaching change, that will NOT happen. I cant even imagine what DL will say after such a move. but a new PP coach is defintely possible, even likely. for those hating the system, that should be the only hope now.

I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 02:40 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

double post

I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 04:20 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Penner isn't skating. Even though it is optional. I would have liked to hear that he was on the ice, but whatever.

He doesnt want to get too tired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy View Post
first, this scenario will play out a little too predictably. Penner will work hard this offseason, come into camp in the "best shape of his life," and score 30 goals and get a fat contract

second, for those wondering about a head coaching change, that will NOT happen. I cant even imagine what DL will say after such a move. but a new PP coach is defintely possible, even likely. for those hating the system, that should be the only hope now.
Dave Tippett?

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 04:31 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
I have to say, I've watched him closely on tv since we traded for him, but nothing compares to seeing his lackluster effort on the ice in person. I was at Tuesday's game, the first since we acquired him, and was pretty shocked. He seems to be coasting, doesn't care and plays at half speed. Right before he made that beautiful pass, I screamed "WAKE THE F UP PENNER". Seriously, like 30 seconds after he made that great pass to Zus. I'm not sure what his issue is, but I sure hope that he fixes it in the off season and we get the 20+ goal scorer and the good player we saw the first 3 games he was here next season. He's been down right terrible since Kopi and Willy got hurt.
That must have been his next shift. Penner is never on the ice for 30 seconds.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 05:53 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
My Friend Ron would love it. He's the only guy I'll bring to the game wearing another team's jersey, and YES he wears a Toronto Gilmour jersey. From breaking Sandstroms forearm with a vicious slash, to playing "who can top this" with Gretzky in Game 7 of the Campbell Conference Finals in '93, there are few who are more competitive and bring more fire and heart to the game. He would be the emotional antithesis to Timid TM .
That would be as disgusting as hiring a Yankee to manage the Dodgers.

Oh wait.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 06:55 PM
DoktorJeep
Original Bandwagoner

I'm calling it right now, Penner with 2g 1a and a fight tonight!

DoktorJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 08:48 PM
Kingurentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorJeep View Post
I'm calling it right now, Penner with 2g 1a and a fight tonight!
I back you on that. A great game by Penner.

But then next game we'll be screaming bloody murder again.

Anyway...

Got the 6 pack ready! Go Kings!

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 09:00 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Nothing's is wrong with Penner. That's just how Penner plays. If anyone is to blame, it's DL for trading for a player who has a reputation for slacking.

Penner won't be with the kings next year I'm guessing.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 11:19 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

He looks way better tonight.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote