HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Myers needs to get his game going and become a playoff performer.

Old
04-20-2011, 02:20 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
While it doesn't really comment on his future, it is nonetheless disappointing that he hasn't come on and been a dominating force in the playoffs. He really needs to be at least playing his best Sabres hockey if the team wants to make any sort of upset run through the playoffs. Clearly, he is not anywhere near his current marker for best play.

Injury? Perhaps. It'd make sense as his skating does seem to have lost some power and grace on drives, though it could be a confidence/nerves issue as well. Regardless of that matter, he's making poor decisions in both ends which are understandable at this point in his career but extremely disappointing to see.

Two playoff series into his career he has never been the best defenseman on his team. It's not a harbinger of doom, but it's an issue where the team's success is concerned.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:52 PM
buffalowing88

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresandcanucks View Post
Good thread Josh,

Despite my defense of Myers earlier in the season I cannot hide the holes in his game that are presently killing us. One big difference between Doughty and Myers....Doughty wants the spotlight...he wants to take over a series. You can see it in his intensity, just like when one watches P.K. Subban in Montreal. Myers by contrast just doesn't want to make a mistake...He looks scared out there, uncomfortable and jittery when the puck comes his way. Until he gets some swag going I have little hope of him reaching elite status.
Wouldn't you say that's the prototypical Buffalo Sabre?

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 11:59 AM
joshjull

His game last night is what I'm talking about. Thats what we need from him and hopefully he keeps it up.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 12:49 PM
JD SabreFan

Send a message via AIM to JD SabreFan
The call-out thread works AGAIN!!!!

Now, somebody call out Boyes! I swear the team subscribes to the updates from this board lmao

JD SabreFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 12:54 PM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

Yeah Boyes needs one. I don't think we can do Vanek, because he already had one earlier in the year, didn't he? Not gonna work twice.

SiriusBizinuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
His game last night is what I'm talking about. Thats what we need from him and hopefully he keeps it up.
He played very much the same way in Game One only nobody wanted to even acknowledge it.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 01:28 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
He played very much the same way in Game One only nobody wanted to even acknowledge it.
No he didn't.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 01:33 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Not at all. He was far better in Game 4.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
No he didn't.
Let's agree to disagree then. He wasn't as aggressive physically, I'll concede that much. But as far as the hockey play goes that was the same Myers. Carrying the puck, leading the forechecks, reading plays brilliantly, he did all of that in Game One as well.

Moving on, I think he needs to be more subtle because he's going to end up in the box a lot in Game 5 if he's overly aggressive, just a hunch.

Old
04-21-2011, 01:53 PM
ct2111

Quote:
Let's agree to disagree then. He wasn't as aggressive physically, I'll concede that much. But as far as the hockey play goes that was the same Myers. Carrying the puck, leading the forechecks, reading plays brilliantly, he did all of that in Game One as well.

Moving on, I think he needs to be more subtle because he's going to end up in the box a lot in Game 5 if he's overly aggressive, just a hunch.
He didn't get burnt by guys getting around him and he pinned the puck-carrying players to the board which all he didn't do in game 1, 2 or 3. It was his defense that stood out yesterday, not his offense.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 01:54 PM
K McDude

Quote:
Myers has never had a game like last night, as far as being that physical and willing to pound the tar out of somebody. Instead of looking like a bigger version of Scott Niedermayer, he looked like a Pronger or Chara type.

I personally love the mean streak, and hope it continues. This version of Myers, tied in with the offensive potential he brings, would be a generational type talent on the back end.

Good call joshjull

K McDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

I like the physicality he brought in game 4, but I'd like to see a bit more offense from him.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 02:16 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

I still can't get over how he dragged Richard's AND a linesman away from the front of the net, and it looked really easy. Bill Clements on the Flyers feed said he made Richard's look like a "rag doll".

Old
04-21-2011, 02:22 PM
Leafswillrulesometim

Meyers looked like a beast last night.

Hope to see you guys win the series!!! I liked this series since day 1.

Leafswillrulesometim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 02:41 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganie View Post
He didn't get burnt by guys getting around him and he pinned the puck-carrying players to the board which all he didn't do in game 1, 2 or 3. It was his defense that stood out yesterday, not his offense.
Yeah he was actually really good defensively in Game One, very similar performance and he's been great on the PK throughout the series. The aggressive physical play in Game 4 was really what made that a standout performance, and his gaps and reads were outstanding too ( as they were in G1). I invite anybody to point out bad plays he made in Game 1.

Old
04-21-2011, 03:00 PM
ct2111

Quote:
Yeah he was actually really good defensively in Game One, very similar performance and he's been great on the PK throughout the series. The aggressive physical play in Game 4 was really what made that a standout performance, and his gaps and reads were outstanding too ( as they were in G1). I invite anybody to point out bad plays he made in Game 1.
I had him in the bad column after game 1 and I remember turnovers, soft plays behind the net and I think JVR (?) got around him once (that coulda been game 2, though). Imo he was nowhere this good. Looking at the highlights on nhl.com he made atleast two bad plays in game 1. I also distinctly remember a Flyers fan praising Butler and saying Myers was bad (not that that means much).

Imo he chases the puck-carrying guy behind the net too much, they turn left/right/left and Myers just follows him until the guy centers the puck or he gets behind and the guy tries a wrap around. Last night is exactly how I want him to play these situations and how Chara plays them, pin the guy to the boards and either poke away the puck or let your teammate retrieve it. I haven't seen anything like that in his first 3 games.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 03:38 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

I could watch him dragging Richards out of the crease forever.

struckbyaparkedcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 04:14 PM
zbubble

I remember after Game 1 the three stars were JVR, Miller, and Myers and I thought they should have been Miller, Myers, and Bobrovsky. I thought he rushed the puck with authority all game long. He must have stood out at least to the Philly writers to get that star.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 04:40 PM
Weird Fish

Send a message via AIM to Weird Fish
I thought he was pretty good in game 1 too. I think there's been a marked improvement in his play in this series than in the Boston series last year.

Weird Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 06:53 PM
Tunnel of Death
Foligno: Beast Mode

I really liked him jacking up Briere every chance he got last night. Keeping Danny firmly planted on his ass will go a long way in helping us win the series.

Tunnel of Death is offline   Reply With Quote