HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Need help choosing a stick

Old
04-21-2011, 01:43 PM
PenguinKiller

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PenguinKiller
Need help choosing a stick

I am about 6'0 and 160lbs (without gear). I play forward, so I take mostly snap and wrist shots (Rarely take slappers). I would consider myself more of a "sniper" (apologies for using NHL 11 terminology) than a deke-er or dangler and was wondering A: What flex would suit me? And B: What line of sticks should I look at? Right now, I like the Bauer Vapor line, and will soon be going to my local hockey shop to check out what they have, but will probably order the stick online. Thanks!

PenguinKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 01:50 PM
mbeam

Generally, flex should be about half your weight (although I find this estimate to be a bit on the whippy side). I'm 5'8 150 and have a 78flex that I find a little whippy, and I prefer to use my ~95 flex stick.

The Bauer Vapor is a good line for you because the vapors have a low kick point, as oppose to the ONE(X) line, which has a mid kick point. The low kick will help you out more with snappers and wristers.

Really, it's just personal preference and (I'd argue) depends more on the blade pattern than the flex or kick point. What pattern are you currently using? Have you tried a few to figure out which suits you the best? I'd start with a fairly moderate curve and go from there.

If you're ordering online you might want to look into hockey monkeys mystery packs. I know a lot of people have been quite happy with what they got (it basically ends up being 2for1) but you don't get to choose the flex or pattern. It might give you a good idea of what sort of stick you like. If you get two that you don't like, chances are you can flip both of them and make your money back, but most people end up being quite happy.

Lie is also something to consider, and I find this to be a huge factor in determining which sticks i love and which I cannot even use!

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 01:56 PM
PenguinKiller

The Mystery Pack idea had crossed my mind, but I would hate to shell out that kind of cash for something I can't choose myself (Especially on a college student's budget! ) But, I never thought to simply sell them if I didn't like them. I've never sold anything on Ebay/craigslist/etc before, but I wonder how much difficulty I'd have in getting rid of them. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion! I may end up doing that.

Old
04-21-2011, 01:58 PM
mbeam

Considering you basically get $300 worth of sticks for $150, I wouldn't think you'd have trouble getting your money back for brand new sticks.

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 02:10 PM
ponder

Lie, flex, and type of curve (heel/mid/toe) are IMO the most important aspects of a hockey stick. I easily shoot better with an entry level stick with my preferred lie/flex/curve (for me about lie 5, mid or toe curve, 75-85 flex) than I do with a top of the line stick with the wrong specs for me (stiff, high lie, heel curve = cannot shoot for me).

In general, if you're a snap shot guy I'd say a whippy, low kick stick is probably your best bet. However, it does depend on technique. At your height/weight/style I'd suggest a 75ish flex, but some people do like stiffer sticks, personal preference really. As for the right lie/curve position/openness for you, that's pure personal preference/style, nobody can tell you that but yourself. The Easton Sakic/Bauer P92/Warrior Draper tends to be the most popular curve, especially for guys who take a lot of snap shots, but it's 100% personal preference.

Bauer Vapor sticks are not bad sticks at all, a bit pingy in the blade, but I like them. Right now Dolo DDs and Easton SE16s are ridiculously on sale, and both are great low kick sticks, I wouldn't hesitate going with either one. Excellent top of the line sticks, being sold for a lot less because newer models are out now.

2009 Dolo DDs (only the grips have a good selection of curves at 75 flex):
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warrior-...grip-2009.html

Easton SE16s, grip and regular (worse curve selection though)
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-h...6-grip-sr.html
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-h...y-se16-sr.html

I also recently bought a stick from "BASE" that I'm really enjoying so far, a nice snappy low kick stick and they have a great selection of curves offered in all sorts of different lies. However, I picked my stick up from their store (in the suburbs of Vancouver), not sure what the deal is re: shipping to the States in terms of shippings costs, duty, etc. Here's their site though:
http://www.basehockey.ca/

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 02:14 PM
ponder

Also, if you have no idea what curve/lie is best for you, I'd suggest buying a shaft and a bunch of different cheap wood blades, then when you find the right curve/lie buy a composite blade.

Old
04-21-2011, 02:18 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm the same kind of player and really like my Vapor X:60. I'd either go with the 50 or 60 if you're looking at the Vapor line as I don't think the 40's or below are worth it. I'd shoot for the 77 flex at your height.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 02:18 PM
PenguinKiller

Great info, Ponder! I played roller hockey as a kid for about 5 years, stopped playing for a few years, and recently picked it up and started playing in a noobie college roller hockey league. I've now switched to a beginner ice league at my local rink and love it. I'm just a little overwhelmed with all the different features and specs of these sticks (I use a warrior bentley 95 flex, draper curve right now and it does the job - but I want a new stick that I didn't just buy on a whim at my local sporting goods store. Thanks for all the info/suggestions!

Old
04-21-2011, 03:44 PM
doug5984

Send a message via AIM to doug5984
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Lie, flex, and type of curve (heel/mid/toe) are IMO the most important aspects of a hockey stick. I easily shoot better with an entry level stick with my preferred lie/flex/curve (for me about lie 5, mid or toe curve, 75-85 flex) than I do with a top of the line stick with the wrong specs for me (stiff, high lie, heel curve = cannot shoot for me).

In general, if you're a snap shot guy I'd say a whippy, low kick stick is probably your best bet. However, it does depend on technique. At your height/weight/style I'd suggest a 75ish flex, but some people do like stiffer sticks, personal preference really. As for the right lie/curve position/openness for you, that's pure personal preference/style, nobody can tell you that but yourself. The Easton Sakic/Bauer P92/Warrior Draper tends to be the most popular curve, especially for guys who take a lot of snap shots, but it's 100% personal preference.

Bauer Vapor sticks are not bad sticks at all, a bit pingy in the blade, but I like them. Right now Dolo DDs and Easton SE16s are ridiculously on sale, and both are great low kick sticks, I wouldn't hesitate going with either one. Excellent top of the line sticks, being sold for a lot less because newer models are out now.

2009 Dolo DDs (only the grips have a good selection of curves at 75 flex):
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warrior-...grip-2009.html

Easton SE16s, grip and regular (worse curve selection though)
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-h...6-grip-sr.html
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-h...y-se16-sr.html

I also recently bought a stick from "BASE" that I'm really enjoying so far, a nice snappy low kick stick and they have a great selection of curves offered in all sorts of different lies. However, I picked my stick up from their store (in the suburbs of Vancouver), not sure what the deal is re: shipping to the States in terms of shippings costs, duty, etc. Here's their site though:
http://www.basehockey.ca/

For the Easton SE16, is the only difference between the Getzlaf and Parise blade the round vs square toe? If so what difference does that make in the shot- I have been using the Parise and love it- I see they sell that one in 75 flex w/ the Getzlaf but not Parise so wondering if I should give it a try?

doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 06:06 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug5984 View Post
For the Easton SE16, is the only difference between the Getzlaf and Parise blade the round vs square toe? If so what difference does that make in the shot- I have been using the Parise and love it- I see they sell that one in 75 flex w/ the Getzlaf but not Parise so wondering if I should give it a try?
They're somewhat similar in that they're both heel wedges, as you said the Getzlaf/Lidstrom has the square toe, but there are other differences too. AFAIK the Getzlaf/Lidstrom is a bit more open, the curve is a bit deeper and the blade is a bit longer. Not sure about the difference in rocker between these curves. Maybe Jarick can help you out, I know he's a big heel curve fan, personally I cannot use the things. Parise/Drury curves definitely seem to be a lot more popular/common than Getzlaf/Lidstrom curves.

If you shoot left hockey monkey have grip SE16s in a Parise/Drury 75 flex, but if you shoot right or hate grip sticks you're out of luck with that site for that curve at least.

Old
04-21-2011, 06:10 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinKiller View Post
I am about 6'0 and 160lbs (without gear). I play forward, so I take mostly snap and wrist shots (Rarely take slappers). I would consider myself more of a "sniper" (apologies for using NHL 11 terminology) than a deke-er or dangler and was wondering A: What flex would suit me? And B: What line of sticks should I look at? Right now, I like the Bauer Vapor line, and will soon be going to my local hockey shop to check out what they have, but will probably order the stick online. Thanks!
Why don't you just buy from the shop? You'll be getting the stick then and there, no hassle of shipping/waiting; and you'll be supporting local business.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 06:12 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinKiller View Post
Great info, Ponder! I played roller hockey as a kid for about 5 years, stopped playing for a few years, and recently picked it up and started playing in a noobie college roller hockey league. I've now switched to a beginner ice league at my local rink and love it. I'm just a little overwhelmed with all the different features and specs of these sticks (I use a warrior bentley 95 flex, draper curve right now and it does the job - but I want a new stick that I didn't just buy on a whim at my local sporting goods store. Thanks for all the info/suggestions!
No problem! Out of curiosity, what's the lie on your Draper (a lot of Warrior curves come in multiple lies), and do you like the curve? Also, when you use the stick, where does most of the wear happen - right at the heel, roughly mid blade, or near the toe?

Old
04-21-2011, 11:58 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

A rep from Base came out tonight and had tons of sticks to try out. To be honest I really didn't like them. Felt rubbery and cheap, not much kick to them. The 75 intermediate flex felt like about 55 flex brand new even, nothing like my Bauer 75 intermediate, and the 75 senior just felt like an old Easton Octane I had. YMMV, but I wasn't impressed at all...

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 07:13 AM
Thresh

There's a chart that gives you an approximate ideal flex based on your known height and weight:

http://www.schoolyardpuck.com/2010/0...tick-flex.html
EDIT: Seems they changed the link with the site maintenance, haha.

It suggests the ideal for you is around an 85 flex. Obviously people have differing preferences beyond this, but i guess it's a good guide to what you should be looking at. I haven't bought my first stick yet, but i've tried the 65 flex intermediates (supposedly the stiffer end of the ideal for my height/weight) in the shop and they feel great!

Last edited by Thresh: 04-24-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Thresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:53 AM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
A rep from Base came out tonight and had tons of sticks to try out. To be honest I really didn't like them. Felt rubbery and cheap, not much kick to them. The 75 intermediate flex felt like about 55 flex brand new even, nothing like my Bauer 75 intermediate, and the 75 senior just felt like an old Easton Octane I had. YMMV, but I wasn't impressed at all...
They definitely play on the soft side, my 75 flex senior feels maybe a touch whippier than even my 77 flex one95 used to, and one95s IMO play on the soft side themselves. The feel is a bit different than any other stick I've used, but I actually really like it, and I find the stick to be extremely snappy with great kick, my snapshot is better than its ever been. Slappers suck, but with a 75 flex and a crazy toe curve (their pro Hossa clone) I knew slappers would be no good. Can't comment on the durability yet, and have still only used it in stick and pucks as my winter beer league is over and summer has not started, but for me this is the best snap shot stick I've ever owned, though of course it's hard to say how much that's the stick or the curve (this is my first toe curve ever).

Old
04-28-2011, 12:51 AM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thresh View Post
There's a chart that gives you an approximate ideal flex based on your known height and weight:

http://www.schoolyardpuck.com/2010/0...tick-flex.html
EDIT: Seems they changed the link with the site maintenance, haha.

It suggests the ideal for you is around an 85 flex. Obviously people have differing preferences beyond this, but i guess it's a good guide to what you should be looking at. I haven't bought my first stick yet, but i've tried the 65 flex intermediates (supposedly the stiffer end of the ideal for my height/weight) in the shop and they feel great!
Sorry, site was down for about 2 hours late Friday night/early Sat morn. Didn't think anyone would notice! Appreciate the link.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote