HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off Season Talk Thread

Old
04-21-2011, 05:16 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

vCash: 500
I'd make it a point to bring back Feds. The guy is a great third line player and has shown he can bring it in the playoffs. With a young team, a vet like him really helps. If you can bring him back at basically the same contract, do it.

I'm on the Richards bandwagon too but the contract has got to be reasonable as in nothing more then 5 years. Richards is big in that not only is he that first line center we need, but can quarterback the power play too. If we can't get him, I'd call up Ottawa and see how much for Spezza.

Bottom line, we need a first line center. Look at the teams that have won the cup since the lockout, all have had first line centers (CAR - Staal, ANA - Getzlaf, PIT - Malkin, Crosby, DET - Datsyuk, CHI - Toews.) You win with defense and strong forwards down the middle.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 05:41 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Presley View Post
I've liked his play all year. I am not against an extension... 1.5 per for 2 yr?
He has been hard working all year long, and I really want to keep him.
He is one of those players that work and work, but does not do anything "amazing" and that unfortunately makes him a little bit "invisible" and keeps him from getting the credit that he deserves.

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 05:42 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

If Feds keeps playing the way he has been, there's no doubt I want him back.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 05:55 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

I just don't see how Richards instantly makes us a contender. We have holes besides center.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 06:01 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I just don't see how Richards instantly makes us a contender. We have holes besides center.
Of course they do, but with the cap it's almost impossible not to have some holes unless you get lucky like Chicago and have a bunch of excellent players on ELC. Even then it only lasted one year and now they are in the same place as the Rangers (I mean in terms of ladder position).

Richards (or another legit 1st line C) fills the biggest need this club currently has (IMO of course). Signing him wont instantly send us to the top of the east but it does make us more competitive against those at the top.

Last edited by mike14: 04-21-2011 at 06:01 PM. Reason: spelling, it's harder than it lookz
mike14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 06:09 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
Of course they do, but with the cap it's almost impossible not to have some holes unless you get lucky like Chicago and have a bunch of excellent players on ELC. Even then it only lasted one year and now they are in the same place as the Rangers (I mean in terms of ladder position).

Richards (or another legit 1st line C) fills the biggest need this club currently has (IMO of course). Signing him wont instantly send us to the top of the east but it does make us more competitive against those at the top.
I actually think we have an even bigger problem, and that the lack of a monster on our blueline. Almost every time Hank gives up a goal it's scored by a guy camping 6 inches in front of him. If we had a player who cleared bodies out Hank's GAA would be under 2.

Old
04-21-2011, 06:16 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
I actually think we have an even bigger problem, and that the lack of a monster on our blueline. Almost every time Hank gives up a goal it's scored by a guy camping 6 inches in front of him. If we had a player who cleared bodies out Hank's GAA would be under 2.
We have that guy, he's just a couple of years away and we have to see if he pans out.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 06:20 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
ok so I guess they shouldnt bother filling the major whole at C and the PP then right?.............Sather is going to sign Ricahrds which is a good thing

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 06:25 PM
mike14

Quote:
I can agree that it's a big hole, but it doesn't seem that it's as easy to fill as the #1 C. There are no FAs available that fit that mold (that I can think of) and teams generally don't trade those players without massive overpayment because of how rare they are.

Old
04-21-2011, 06:31 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

What the hell is this nonsense? Season ain't over, fools.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 06:43 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
What the hell is this nonsense? Season ain't over, fools.
And yet due to the wonders of the internet, and my ability to focus on several things at once, we can talk about it already. Isn't technology amazing?

Old
04-21-2011, 06:44 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
I'd make it a point to bring back Feds. The guy is a great third line player and has shown he can bring it in the playoffs. With a young team, a vet like him really helps. If you can bring him back at basically the same contract, do it.
As good as the Feds - Boyle - Prust line was during the season, I was previously hoping that Fedotenko might not be brought back if it meant opening up a spot for a prospect like Hagelin to make the team... But after seeing how Fedotenko has performed in this series, I absolutely want him brought back... He's a valuable asset in the post-season for sure. His even strength play might leave a little to be desired at times during the regular season, but he's a team player, good on the PK, and I'd be happy to have him back on the team next year at this point.

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 08:19 PM
NY Ranger86

Thank god half of u aren't GM's *whew* lmao

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 08:30 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
As good as the Feds - Boyle - Prust line was during the season, I was previously hoping that Fedotenko might not be brought back if it meant opening up a spot for a prospect like Hagelin to make the team... But after seeing how Fedotenko has performed in this series, I absolutely want him brought back... He's a valuable asset in the post-season for sure. His even strength play might leave a little to be desired at times during the regular season, but he's a team player, good on the PK, and I'd be happy to have him back on the team next year at this point.
i think he'll be back, originally I was the same but hearing Torts say he's the current Cally means they will offer him a deal back

Old
04-21-2011, 08:39 PM
Vitto79

I would ask these questions to Ranger fans

Do you think the Packline is a solid 2nd line?

Do you think Richards is a #1 C?. If so Sign him July 1st

Like his performance this yr or not is Gaborik not a number 1 F?

Does the team have alot of 3rd/ 4th line depth? Stepan, Boyle ,etc

Is the top 4 D not set for yrs to come?

is Hank not a world class G?

Does the team not have a handful of exiting prospects in the system?

I personally say yes to all of these things which makes me feel real good about where the team is going. Every team has holes with the Salary cap

Old
04-21-2011, 08:41 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I would ask these questions to Ranger fans

Do you think the Packline is a solid 2nd line?

Absolutely.

Do you think Richards is a #1 C?. If so Sign him July 1st

Absolutely.

Like his performance this yr or not is Gaborik not a number 1 F?

Gaborik is 100% #1 RW.

Does the team have alot of 3rd/ 4th line depth? Stepan, Boyle ,etc

Indeed. Stepan, Boyle, Fedotenko, Avery.

Is the top 4 D not set for yrs to come?

Yes.

His Hank not a world class G?

Top 3 in the world.

Does the team not have a handful of exiting prospects in the system?

Exciting, yes. Top-flight? Only Kreider and Thomas appear to have that potential.

I personally say yes to all of these things which makes me feel real good about where the team is going
Bolded responses.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 09:53 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
Bolded responses.
I think most will agree that yes is the answer to most of the questions. We need to start thinking positive . As fans we are often bi polar

Old
04-21-2011, 10:06 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
We have that guy, he's just a couple of years away and we have to see if he pans out.
If we can wait a couple of years for him then why can't we wait a couple of years for a number 1 center?

Old
04-21-2011, 10:11 PM
Hockeyplayer99

Glad you guys aren't running the Rangers. Why would Stepan be on a probation. Guy put up over 40 points in his rookie season and he is on probation for next year. You Trade Gabrorik and picks for Lou Erikson, come on, I think Gaborik alone is more then Erikson is worth. I hate Gaborik to, but we can do better then Erikson for him and those picks.

Hockeyplayer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 10:16 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyplayer99 View Post
Glad you guys aren't running the Rangers. Why would Stepan be on a probation. Guy put up over 40 points in his rookie season and he is on probation for next year.
That guy is special, he's probably the only one on here who actually thinks that.

Quote:
You Trade Gabrorik and picks for Lou Erikson, come on, I think Gaborik alone is more then Erikson is worth.
Except he's not. Loui Eriksson is a 26 year old, Selke caliber, 70+ point winger on a hell of a contract. Gaborik is an injury prone enigma. If we could get Eriksson for Gaborik, I'd be doing backflips, as much as I like Gabby.

Quote:
I hate Gaborik to, but we can do better then Erikson for him and those picks.
Actually, you probably wouldn't. A guy coming off a terrible year, riddled with injuries, on a 7.5m per contract wouldn't garner as much as some think, IMO.

04-21-2011, 10:18 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

I want no part of Eriksson without Richards. You can never trust any winger paired with an elite center unless you've seen him do it without that center.

Old
04-21-2011, 10:20 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
I want no part of Eriksson without Richards. You can never trust any winger paired with an elite center unless you've seen him do it without that center.
We could actually get that pair.

Dubinsky-Richards-Eriksson

Basically the Dallas line from earlier this year, but with an upgrade on LW.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 10:22 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
We could actually get that pair.

Dubinsky-Richards-Eriksson

Basically the Dallas line from earlier this year, but with an upgrade on LW.
But if you're getting Richards anyway you might as well keep Gaborik

Richards+Eriksson >>> Gaborik+Christiensen

but

Richards+Gabroik >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Richards+Eriksson

Old
04-21-2011, 11:24 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Why would Stepan be on a probation.
The guy that said that has no clue what he is talking about, do not listen to him Steps is a future star and to think he should be traded makes it clear that he has no knowledge of hockey

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 11:29 PM
Dantes19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
IMO this team is in a real tough position.

On one hand none of us want to see Richards turn out like Drury or Redden if we bring him in here.

On the other hand, we are devoid of first line players and a few of our prospects who might be first line talents are a few years away.

So we either sign Richards for the big $$$, he comes here and he is a success and we have a legit top line, or he falters and we have another big contract that we can't move.

Or we pass up on Richards and continue to struggle offensively until MAYBE a few of our prospects turn into first line players.

Ugh.

Yeah, that's pretty much how it looks. To me, the best option looks like Richards, because this team desperately needs some scoring talent. The over-reliance on Lundquist is astounding, and we're not going to get to the next level without some players that can score/help score goals. At least with Richards you would be getting a guy who's put up numerous PPG seasons, unlike Drury & Gomez.

Dantes19 is offline   Reply With Quote