HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does our defense get enough credit?

Old
04-21-2011, 02:13 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 2635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ellis Problems View Post
McNabb might have something to say about that.
So might Jerome Gauthier-Leduc and Matt Mackenzie. The Sabres haven't been this stacked with good D prospects since the mid-90's when they had Millar, Klimentiev, Ndur, Mckee, Sarich, and Tezikov. Eventually Regier is going to have to make some trades and it may land us a good center. I remember Ndur being lost on waivers to the Rangers. I don't recall what happened with Klimentiev. The others were part of trades.

Millar -->Satan
Sarich --> Gratton (ouch!)
Tezikov --> Juneau

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 06:44 AM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post
McNabb, Pysyk and Myers should be our three right handed defenders in 2-3 years IMO.

By the time Leopold's contract expires, Sekera and Butler will have years of experience under their belts, and they'll be in their prime. Myers will be entering his prime as well. Weber will have lots of games under his belt too.

Hopefully if all our guys develop well, our defense core will look something like this:

Chris Butler - Tyler Myers
Andrej Sekera - Brayden McNabb
Mike Weber - Mark Pysyk

I like Grags a lot but I don't think he'll turn into a premiere NHL defender. He'll be a decent offensive defenseman, but I could see guys like Pysyk and McNabb surpassing him in development years from now.
Brayden is a lefty.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 07:27 AM
Digable5

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
So might Jerome Gauthier-Leduc and Matt Mackenzie. The Sabres haven't been this stacked with good D prospects since the mid-90's when they had Millar, Klimentiev, Ndur, Mckee, Sarich, and Tezikov. Eventually Regier is going to have to make some trades and it may land us a good center. I remember Ndur being lost on waivers to the Rangers. I don't recall what happened with Klimentiev. The others were part of trades.

Millar -->Satan
Sarich --> Gratton (ouch!)
Tezikov --> Juneau
I prefer to look at it this way.
Sarich --> Briere

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 11:40 AM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danleary View Post
I'm pretty sure that was the one that went off Myers stick, someone correct me if I'm wrong. I remember thinking Miller made a stick save, but on the replay it was Myers.
I think he's talking about the one near the end where the puck squirted to Richards, he had open net on the right post, and Miller's paddle came down and slammed the door.

If you want a different opinion rather than those of Buffalo fans, read what the Philly sports writers write. They think Miller stole the game. No mention of the defense being spectacular. And I think that's correct. After all, he did have to save 30+ something shots. People forget that Miller's poise and positioning at times makes really hard saves look routine. The fact that every save doesn't have to be made in spectacular fashion should not be a knock against his ability.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 11:48 AM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Brayden is a lefty.
Hmm. Could've sworn he was a rightie.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 11:54 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post
I think he's talking about the one near the end where the puck squirted to Richards, he had open net on the right post, and Miller's paddle came down and slammed the door.
That's the one. Haven't watched a replay, but I'm pretty sure it was Miller's stick that made the save - thankfully, His Whininess didn't have time or space to elevate the puck.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 12:01 PM
ADoubleD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Zamboni View Post
I have a hard time thinking any player is good enough to play in the NHL until they get the call up and impress to some degree. So Brennan and Psysk are not even on my radar as far as NHL worthy defenseman. So today I would not want that lineup. If they come up next season or the following, and impress the Sabres then, I will like that lineup.
Agree that Montador may be better to move. I go back and forth with him. Big stretches of the reg. Season he looked good, sometimes real good. Same with Leopold.
Huh? It's one thing to say that you wouldn't count on those guys all turning out to be good NHL defensemen until they come up and prove it at the NHL level, but saying that you have a hard time thinking anyone is good enough to play in the NHL until they get there is kind of dumb. Obviously guys have to prove themselves as capable NHLers.

Noone would take that lineup today, the point of that post was that if those guys continue to develop and become good NHL d-men then we could have a pretty damn good D in a few years.

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 12:07 PM
ADoubleD

Quote:
No McNabb or Schiestel?
The team's gonna have to move some of their D prospects in the next few years. Not saying I want McNabb to be one of them, but I wouldn't be against moving Schiestel, although to be fair I haven't watched him play all that much.

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 12:08 PM
joshjull

The OP seems quite annoyed that Miller is being praised.

I know one person that always praises the defense when they help Miller out. That would be Miller.

Last edited by joshjull: 04-21-2011 at 01:03 PM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 04:28 PM
MGIII
Legendary

The defense complemented Miller almost perfectly in our two wins.

MGIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 04:35 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
McNabb, Pysyk and Myers should be our three right handed defenders in 2-3 years IMO.

By the time Leopold's contract expires, Sekera and Butler will have years of experience under their belts, and they'll be in their prime. Myers will be entering his prime as well. Weber will have lots of games under his belt too.

Hopefully if all our guys develop well, our defense core will look something like this:

Chris Butler - Tyler Myers
Andrej Sekera - Brayden McNabb
Mike Weber - Mark Pysyk

I like Grags a lot but I don't think he'll turn into a premiere NHL defender. He'll be a decent offensive defenseman, but I could see guys like Pysyk and McNabb surpassing him in development years from now.
I like it ALOT..

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 04:42 PM
Sabretip

Seriously, is our defense really all that impressive? Granted, each of the 6 blueliners has had their moments of brilliance but they have all shown the tendency for blunders and brain-cramps as well. It's a middle-of-the-pack defense corps with one star in the making.

I would agree with the broader acknowledgment that the team defense - forwards, defensemen and goaltender - did an effective job overall but there were also tons of examples of horrible clearing attempts despite 3-4 Sabres having attempts on any one play to get it out of the zone.

I'm glad they won, which is all that ultimately matters, but the way they did it in Chinese-fire-drill mode is nothing worthy of bestowing praise on IMO.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 04:46 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoubleD View Post
Huh? It's one thing to say that you wouldn't count on those guys all turning out to be good NHL defensemen until they come up and prove it at the NHL level, but saying that you have a hard time thinking anyone is good enough to play in the NHL until they get there is kind of dumb. Obviously guys have to prove themselves as capable NHLers.

Noone would take that lineup today, the point of that post was that if those guys continue to develop and become good NHL d-men then we could have a pretty damn good D in a few years.
And in my opinion there is too much IF IF IF, which is why i can't take that lineup seriously today. I could play devils advocate and say today, they have just as much chance of NOT making it to the NHL. Fantasy is nice and all, but i didn't take it as such. To me, i read it as WHEN they are on the team in 2-3 years. Different opinion, oh well.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote