HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kronwall and team defence

Old
04-21-2011, 03:07 PM
TorontoWingsFan

vCash: 500
Kronwall is really coming along this playoffs and starting to cement his position as a legitimate anchor in defence. Its been a while since he's delivered a smashing hit, but all in all he's been our most responsible defenceman thus far and I find myself more and more feeling calmer when I see #55 on the ice.

Some may disagree but he's played fantastic.

If he can learn to drag the puck more along the point to open up lanes rather than shoot right away he'd pot alot more pts.

TorontoWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 03:12 PM
Tomas W

Kronwall had a very impressive game, this last one against Phoenix. Good to see, important for the team.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 06:12 PM
Austin Wings Fan

This might deserve its own thread, but since the title of this one includes "team defense" , lets post it here.

What are your thoughts on our team defense in Round 1? Are we getting too much credit for shutting down Phoenix's pop-gun offense, or not enough?

With a battle against San Jose's hulking forwards looming, I figure this is the time to begin this discussion.

Personally, I think it's a little of both. People on the main board who, in one way or another are basically proclaiming that the Wings defense is back to a 2008 level are mistaken. I think that Phoenix had way, way too much speed coming through the neutral zone in Games 3 and 4, and too many opportunities where they had a trailer or a guy on the weak side have too much time and space off the rush. PHX's forward core didn't have the talent to make the Wings pay, but you just know that San Jose's deep and spread out forward core will. In this sense, I think the Wings transition D wasn't great.

In the same sense, I thought that we did an excellent job neutralizing their forecheck with excellent decision-making by the D and good puck support down low. It seemed that our short passing game coming out of the zone was as good as its been in a while. This, i think can get lost when people dump on PHX's talent level. They are a good forechecking team, and we didn't get caught down low in our zone all that much. The continuation of that against San Jose will be pivotal.

Going forward (assuming its SJ), we are going to face a team with a TON of offensive talent spread across three lines. At the same time, their D and goaltending are nothing special.

The less we get hemmed in along the boards in our own zone, the fewer penalties we will take, and the more success we will have.

Puck possession (and faceoffs), in addition to the continuation smart decision making by the D on the breakout will be necessary to advance.

What do ya'll think?

Austin Wings Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 06:52 PM
Yemack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Wings Fan View Post
This might deserve its own thread, but since the title of this one includes "team defense" , lets post it here.

What are your thoughts on our team defense in Round 1? Are we getting too much credit for shutting down Phoenix's pop-gun offense, or not enough?

With a battle against San Jose's hulking forwards looming, I figure this is the time to begin this discussion.

Personally, I think it's a little of both. People on the main board who, in one way or another are basically proclaiming that the Wings defense is back to a 2008 level are mistaken. I think that Phoenix had way, way too much speed coming through the neutral zone in Games 3 and 4, and too many opportunities where they had a trailer or a guy on the weak side have too much time and space off the rush. PHX's forward core didn't have the talent to make the Wings pay, but you just know that San Jose's deep and spread out forward core will. In this sense, I think the Wings transition D wasn't great.

In the same sense, I thought that we did an excellent job neutralizing their forecheck with excellent decision-making by the D and good puck support down low. It seemed that our short passing game coming out of the zone was as good as its been in a while. This, i think can get lost when people dump on PHX's talent level. They are a good forechecking team, and we didn't get caught down low in our zone all that much. The continuation of that against San Jose will be pivotal.

Going forward (assuming its SJ), we are going to face a team with a TON of offensive talent spread across three lines. At the same time, their D and goaltending are nothing special.

The less we get hemmed in along the boards in our own zone, the fewer penalties we will take, and the more success we will have.

Puck possession (and faceoffs), in addition to the continuation smart decision making by the D on the breakout will be necessary to advance.

What do ya'll think?
yeah compared to 2008 team, this season's neutral zone grid lock has been less tight. However comparing against 2008 team defence is little unfair. That team was just head and shoulder above rest of the field in every way. Also hockey has evolved since 2008 and teams are generally better and smarter at carrying the puck out of their zone.

In my opinion, neutral zone suffocation is all about commitment and work ethic. I thought Wings show good level of both in last game.

In Wings zone, I thought Kronwall - Salei proved to be very reliable and communicative pair. Excellent support.

Lidstrom Stuart pair had some miscomunications where Stuart seemed little too charged up where he should have made soft passes. Also Lidstrom's limited mobility is turning out to be a concern

I think Rafalski Ericsson pair compliments each others well.. but Rafy didnt win enough battle and got burned on few occasions pretty bad. Still Rafy makes up for his quaterback ability.

Mostly it has been defence by committee and I thought the defence in Wings zone got better as the series went deeper. Wings won quite a few of battles along the board and I thought it was huge as Wings got absolutely killed along the board during the season and lost about 90% of the battle.

As for transition, I thought it was great. IMO, there are less than 5 teams in entire NHL who can match Wings in transition game.

I'm not going to comment on SJ because I think it's bit premature. Obivously SJ presents unique problem. Especially Thornton's ability to pass to setoguchi slipping in front of goalie. Couture's shot etc.. but I'm sure Babcock will watch the tape and try to address it as best as he can. Who knows? we might be facing LA Kings.

As for people in main board, I dont really care what other team fans say mostly. Most of them dont know anything about hockey anyways and just few bunch of Canucks fans trying to downplay Wings. I watched quite a few playoff series and I can say Wings D has been easily one of the best.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote