HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs should sign Wisniewski over Markov

Old
04-18-2011, 07:33 PM
odishabs

vCash: 500
Markov-Gorges
Wizniewski-Spacek
Gill-Subban

ex: Weber, Emelin

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 09:07 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Just 1 thing, Spacek has really not played well as the pp shooter since he signed in Montreal. Really wish we could trade him and sign one of Ernhoff/ Jovanovski at a good price instead.
I good price for Ehrhoff will be five million at a minimum. I all but guarantee he resigns in Vancouver since he likes the city and is one of their best players. They will pay a hefty price to keep him.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:40 AM
HabsNation514

I like the Wiz on the PP.

HabsNation514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:42 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Just 1 thing, Spacek has really not played well as the pp shooter since he signed in Montreal. Really wish we could trade him and sign one of Ernhoff/ Jovanovski at a good price instead.
The better solution would be to move Spacek and sign Wisniewskki. Jovanovski is an aging player, I'd rather keep a Gill or Hamrlik at 2.5-3 mil than sign Jovanovski to be a big minute guy for 4.5-5.5 mil.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:50 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Resign both Markov and the Wiz, Gill will take a discount if we sign him for two more years.

Markov- Subban
Gill-Gorges
Wiz-Spacek

Subban improved his defensive game drastically this season, enough to play with Markov next season and provide an impact. Markov and Subban will punish players defensively and offensively. Gill and Gorges will be a shutdown line capable of bringing down any teams top line and wiz spacek as a third line pair are adequate and can be sheltered.

Also Is anyone excited to see what a healthy habs lineup can do next year?

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:18 PM
Pleky Roks

The amount of money is going to dictate who the Habs re-sign and who walks away.

I love Markov, but he just missed the better part of 2 full seasons....so if he expects more than $4 million a season....I'd have a hard time re-signing him....especially if his knee gets injured again and he misses more time from the lineup. Wiz is going to want a big raise for sure and I'm not sure we have the room, icetime or money available to keep him around...althought I like the fact that he plays an all around game and adds a lot of offence AND that he's only 27 and entering his prime.

I'd say if you let Gill walk away and you can sign Markov and Hamrlik cheaper than their current salaries, then we might be able to keep Wiz around and give him the icetime he deserves.

Markov - Subban
Hamrlik - Wisniewski
Gorges - Spacek
ex: Weber

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:24 PM
overlords
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
Resign both Markov and the Wiz, Gill will take a discount if we sign him for two more years.

Markov- Subban
Gill-Gorges
Wiz-Spacek

Subban improved his defensive game drastically this season, enough to play with Markov next season and provide an impact. Markov and Subban will punish players defensively and offensively. Gill and Gorges will be a shutdown line capable of bringing down any teams top line and wiz spacek as a third line pair are adequate and can be sheltered.

Also Is anyone excited to see what a healthy habs lineup can do next year?
I like this, but if i could dump spacek and get a guy like Brewer, we'd be set on D for a while.

Markov - Subban
Brewer - Wiz
Gill - Gorges

(weber, Emelin?)

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 05:05 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I like this, but if i could dump spacek and get a guy like Brewer, we'd be set on D for a while.

Markov - Subban
Brewer - Wiz
Gill - Gorges

(weber, Emelin?)
Emelin would eat too much caproom for us to keep Gill, too much dead weight we must deal with (Gomez and Spacek making 11M$). Gauthier should have enough veterans in Gorges, Marky, Wiz and Spacek, let's leave the sixth spot to a young guy, and save money, Weber, Nash or Emelin, inject some speed and dynamism in that d-corp.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Habs 1909

Anyone else forget what it's like to have Markov on D?

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Rutabaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyG 91 View Post
You just have to look on the PP to remind that we have him injured.
Well, the PP is not bad to be honest, just horribly inconsistent.

Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:20 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
I good price for Ehrhoff will be five million at a minimum. I all but guarantee he resigns in Vancouver since he likes the city and is one of their best players. They will pay a hefty price to keep him.
the Canucks are going to be rather hamstrung in keeping their defence together next season. They will have to lose one of eith Ehrhoff or Bieksa.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 12:03 PM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post

Markov - Subban
Brewer - Wiz
Gill - Gorges

(weber, Emelin?)
Markov and Subban was a complete disaster, 2 puck-moving offensive defensmens never go well together. Does Brewer have a good 1-time shot on the pp?

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 12:13 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
When he is your only puckmover, yeah, I remember how it feels.. Just like playing the rest of the series without Subban would be a disaster..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 01:24 PM
Gally11

Quote:
No. I can promiss you its a whole lot less boring to watch and we wouldn't be so bad on PP right now.

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleky Roks View Post
The amount of money is going to dictate who the Habs re-sign and who walks away.

I love Markov, but he just missed the better part of 2 full seasons....so if he expects more than $4 million a season....I'd have a hard time re-signing him....especially if his knee gets injured again and he misses more time from the lineup. Wiz is going to want a big raise for sure and I'm not sure we have the room, icetime or money available to keep him around...althought I like the fact that he plays an all around game and adds a lot of offence AND that he's only 27 and entering his prime.

I'd say if you let Gill walk away and you can sign Markov and Hamrlik cheaper than their current salaries, then we might be able to keep Wiz around and give him the icetime he deserves.

Markov - Subban
Hamrlik - Wisniewski
Gorges - Spacek
ex: Weber
Markov's not gonna make a penny less than 5M (at the very least) next year...and that's either by the Habs or from another team.

But it's a moot point, because he's not going anywhere

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:12 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
the Canucks are going to be rather hamstrung in keeping their defence together next season. They will have to lose one of eith Ehrhoff or Bieksa.
And they will give up Bieska every single time. Regardless, they are not as hamstring as many would like to believe. Samuelsson and Salo will not be resigned nor will Alberts. That gives them more than enough leeway to resign both Ehrhoff and Bieska should they choose.

Ehrhoff is their #2 and stepped up in a huge way this season with Edler down. Believe me when I say he is going nowhere. Yes I follow the Nucks, just in case anyone was wondering.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:42 PM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
And they will give up Bieska every single time. Regardless, they are not as hamstring as many would like to believe. Samuelsson and Salo will not be resigned nor will Alberts. That gives them more than enough leeway to resign both Ehrhoff and Bieska should they choose.

Ehrhoff is their #2 and stepped up in a huge way this season with Edler down. Believe me when I say he is going nowhere. Yes I follow the Nucks, just in case anyone was wondering.
Are you posting via bablefish?

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 10:16 AM
McSorleyStick
GIJON !

lol Wiz vs Moen

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 11:04 AM
Habster33
In Habs we trust!

Why not just sign both? I'm pretty sure that PG will be able to sign Markov to a 2 year/11M and Wiz 4 years/20M extensions. It kind of sucks that we have to keep Spacek, but maybe will be lucky and he'll decide to retire

I could see this happening:

Markov (5.5) – Subban (.875)
Gorges (2.25) - Wisniewski (5)
Spacek (3.83) – Weber (1.25)
Extra: ??? (.750)

There's about 19.455M invested at that blue line. I know we’re missing a 7th defenseman but they can come cheap. Also you won’t have any D playing offhand, which I think can be a big advantage.

This year, our blue line has about 19.08M invested if everybody is healthy and we don't do any trades.

Markov (5.75) – Subban (.875)
Hamrlik (5.5) – Spacek (3.83)
Gill (2.25) – Gorges (1.1)
Extra: Weber (.875)

With that said, I'm sure PG can make it happen, unless he has something else in mind.

Habster33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 03:26 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:

They already have Hamhuis at 4,5 for the next 5 seasons and Ballard at 4,2 for the next 4. A team usually ties up no more than 20 mil on defense. Edler will be asking for double his salary in two seasons time. So by then, if they do sign Ehrhoff, they'll be over 20 mil for 4 dmen by the time Edler re-signs :

Edler 6 mil
Ehrhoff 5,5 mil
Hamhuis 4,5 mil
Ballard 4,2 mil

20,2, and that's without the rest of the D signed.

You might follow the Nucks, but you seem rather ignorant of their cap situation.

If they want to keep Ehrhoff, they will have to trade either Hamhuis or Ballard, or else, they will have to settle for a less costly alternative than Ehrhoff, either Salo, Bieska, or even, Hamrlik.

And that's without counting the squeeze they will have to do with their bottom lines, as ALL of them have to be re-signed (7 highest paid forwards are signed for next season, the rest are all UFAs and RFAs). And that's without counting the fact that Raymond, Malhotra, Samuelsson and Burrows will all get raises by 1-2 seasons time.

In comparison, the Habs have some of their big salaries going away, unlike Vancouver, with Hamrlik ('10), Spacek ('11) and Gill ('10) clearing space by next july and July next year, while only having Markov as a probable high salary (for now). Subban won't be asking for 5-6 by the time his next contract comes around, and probably will be in the range of 3-4 mil.

I hope for the Nucks that they make the right sacrifices at the right places, but it seems they will have some major tweaking to do if they want to keep Ehrhoff.

You'll probably talk about replacing some of the bottom feeders by young prospects, but Parent makes about 100k less than Alberts, and Hodgson (1,66), Shirokov (1,3) and Schroeder (1,0) all make close to what Higgins and Torres are making, and they are the highest paid after the 7 forwards who are already signed for next season.

Last edited by Ozymandias: 04-21-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 03:37 PM
Woland

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
When he is your only puckmover, yeah, I remember how it feels.. Just like playing the rest of the series without Subban would be a disaster..
go knock on wood now or I will find you and knock some sense into you.

This is the play-offs......no kidding around.

Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 04:12 PM
11alias11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habster33 View Post
Why not just sign both? I'm pretty sure that PG will be able to sign Markov to a 2 year/11M and Wiz 4 years/20M extensions. It kind of sucks that we have to keep Spacek, but maybe will be lucky and he'll decide to retire

I could see this happening:

Markov (5.5) – Subban (.875)
Gorges (2.25) - Wisniewski (5)
Spacek (3.83) – Weber (1.25)
Extra: ??? (.750)

There's about 19.455M invested at that blue line. I know we’re missing a 7th defenseman but they can come cheap. Also you won’t have any D playing offhand, which I think can be a big advantage.
thats great for next year, but what happens the year after when we need to sign Subban with Wiz & Markov signed? Assuming Subban gets a 5M/year deal (which is not unrealistic) you'll have over 15M in 3 defensemen. So unless you're signing Gorges and 3 other d-men to a total of 5M I don't think you can make it work. Then if you go over 20M on defense, you now need to sign Price to a hefty contract as well. No way IMO that you can sign both Wiz & Markov beyond next year. I'd rather have a balanced defense. 2 guys signed around 5M, 2 guys around 3M & 2 guys around 2M, then your 7th guy under 1M. If you have 3 guys over 5M that leaves your bottom 6 weak and if someone goes down Markov & Gorges say hi) you're now relying on those weak d-men. No thanks.

11alias11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 04:18 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11alias11 View Post
thats great for next year, but what happens the year after when we need to sign Subban with Wiz & Markov signed? Assuming Subban gets a 5M/year deal (which is not unrealistic) you'll have over 15M in 3 defensemen. So unless you're signing Gorges and 3 other d-men to a total of 5M I don't think you can make it work. Then if you go over 20M on defense, you now need to sign Price to a hefty contract as well. No way IMO that you can sign both Wiz & Markov beyond next year. I'd rather have a balanced defense. 2 guys signed around 5M, 2 guys around 3M & 2 guys around 2M, then your 7th guy under 1M. If you have 3 guys over 5M that leaves your bottom 6 weak and if someone goes down Markov & Gorges say hi) you're now relying on those weak d-men. No thanks.
Subban isn't going to make 5 million in his next contract. By the time he gets that money, Gomez/Gio/Cammy would be off the books.

In any case, Spacegoat's paycheck is reserved for Subban which should be more than enough.

Andrei Kostitsyn's contract will be the problem if he somehow explodes next year.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habster33 View Post
Spacek retiring is the worst case scenario in his case as his cap hit would still apply without having a player on the roster. Because he is on a 35+ contract, him retiring or going to the minors doesn't eliminate the cap hit.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Miller Time

The more this playoff series progresses, the more I'm thinking that Wiz isn't worth a penny over 4M$.

He's has a good shot, plays hard, and competes all game long, but his decision making in all phases of the game is more often questionable than it is effective.

Unlike Streit, who was a dangerous PP weapon but also a very smart hockey player, Wiz is a dangerous PP weapon who lacks solid game sense.

if we pay him anywhere near what the market will give him (as a UFA coming off of a 50+pt season), we will come to regret it big time.

Choosing him over Markov? no way in hell....

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote