NHL Gives Bobby Ryan 2 Game Suspension

Old
04-18-2011, 11:29 PM
Papaspud
Bring on...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiller010 View Post
Like I said, all of this just comes down to your subjectivity, you convincing yourself that the Ducks are hated by the league. Sorry, but in that sense, your opinion is invalid, just as is mine if I were to say the Bruins get ****ed over by the refs. I just don't have a viewpoint that can actually site any truth in that.

Clearly, my time here is up. Enjoyed the banter, but I've said all I can say. The suspension to Ryan was deserved, as pretty much all of you have acknowledged, and here's to safe, legal hockey and just suspensions in the future.
G*R*E*G*O*R*Y C*A*M*P*B*E*L*L

Until then, your players were run and concussed without calls or suspensions....ask Savard

enough said.

Papaspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:01 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Kunitz one game suspension for elbowing.

Significantly more dangerous play than what Bobby did.

McDonald19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:34 PM
SoCalHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19 View Post
Kunitz one game suspension for elbowing.

Significantly more dangerous play than what Bobby did.

Right? Did I miss something?

Kunitz steps into his elbow to the FACE which is unprotected...

Bobby Ryan steps on a skate that has at least a stiff layer of protection provided by the tung of the skate...

SoCalHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

It makes not too much sense to compare elbows to stomps. Elbows, despite being able to inflict far more damage than a stomp like Ryan's, happen regularly, and can happen with less of a malicious intent when trying to throw a hit. Stomps are a different matter, which nobody in the game will argue against. There's nothing wrong with Ryan getting two games and those guys one. There's no conspiracy there, not even instances of alleged inconsequence by the league. It's simply plays that should not be compared. There's a certain recklessness in every stomp, nevermind the actual consequences of the concrete case, that isn't necessarily part of any elbow. People who have played the game will most likely confirm that and not compare these entirely different types of infractions.

I obviously can't tell anyone what to do, but I sincerely hope we won't be looking at every suspension happening around the league and try to find an inconsistency with the Ryan suspension. I defended him, but there's really not much of an argument against the two games he got.

Here's to hoping he comes back to game five with the series tied and we can focus on what's important.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:52 PM
davidy2d
Heater Clap Bombs

The only issue here is still zero games for Torres.

davidy2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:03 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
It makes not too much sense to compare elbows to stomps. Elbows, despite being able to inflict far more damage than a stomp like Ryan's, happen regularly, and can happen with less of a malicious intent when trying to throw a hit. Stomps are a different matter, which nobody in the game will argue against. There's nothing wrong with Ryan getting two games and those guys one. There's no conspiracy there, not even instances of alleged inconsequence by the league. It's simply plays that should not be compared. There's a certain recklessness in every stomp, nevermind the actual consequences of the concrete case, that isn't necessarily part of any elbow. People who have played the game will most likely confirm that and not compare these entirely different types of infractions.

I obviously can't tell anyone what to do, but I sincerely hope we won't be looking at every suspension happening around the league and try to find an inconsistency with the Ryan suspension. I defended him, but there's really not much of an argument against the two games he got.

Here's to hoping he comes back to game five with the series tied and we can focus on what's important.
The issue is that that same elbow was garnering 4+ games in the regular season. So it should have been 2+.

The issue is inconsistent leniency for the rest of the league, and consistent non-leniency for the Ducks. Really not sure why you don't see that.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 06:52 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

2 games for Ryan makes sense. It works with the past examples of skate related penalties. It shouldn't be lessened.

I do agree that other incidents of other types should be penalized more. Giordano on Ryan should have got something too, that knee is also not a "hockey play gone wrong."

The really odd thing is these head hits in this playoffs, like Stoll or Kunitz. Here is a case where in the regular season there was a supposed "crackdown." And it was still pretty on and off in the regular season. But now it seems consistently lenient. Pronger got 1 game for his head shots in 2007, so the crackdown doesn't seem to be in effect. So yes, these cases should probably get more.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 02:58 PM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

2 games made sense for Ryan.

1 game made sense for Downie.

1 game does not make sense for Stoll and Kunitz.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 06:05 PM
JtotheLew

Quote:
Originally Posted by karacter View Post
2 games made sense for Ryan.

1 game made sense for Downie.

1 game does not make sense for Stoll and Kunitz.
I think Ryan should have got 1 game,

Stoll and Kunitz 2 games,

Torres atleast 2 games,

I actually don't think Downie should have got suspended to me it looked like a good hard shoulder to chest hit and Lovejoy ( the recipient of the hit ) said the same thing. Torres on Seabrook was ridiculous in my opinion. I am not sure how they gave Downie the suspension and not Torres.

JtotheLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 11:19 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

So who got a HD feed of the Ruutu hit on Erat? Was it a headshot? Or at least not a blindside?

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 11:27 PM
imbatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
So who got a HD feed of the Ruutu hit on Erat? Was it a headshot? Or at least not a blindside?
it was a shoulder to the chest/shoulder. From the forward camera feed you could tell there was no contact to the head. Im assuming anyone even alluding to a possible suspension only saw the initial angle, where it seemed like he may have hit him in the chin. Clean hit in my opinion maybe interference in the regular season but with all the late hits the predators have thrown in this series (Charge on Belesky in game 2 for example), I was really pissed off there was a penalty at all.

imbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 11:27 PM
Bender66
Duck you

Quote:
I pulled it up on the DVR. it was a little late, Ruutu kept his elbows down. But when he hits him, his shoulder rides up Erat's chest and you can see it knock his chin sideways.

Not really blindside, he came from Erat's front, but Erat was looking the other way, in the direction he just passed the puck. Based on Torres vs Seabroock, it should not be a suspension, but at this point, who the hell knows anymore.

Bender66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 11:36 PM
wesott11

Quote:
No it was a shoulder hit that was about a stride late. The call on the ice was right.

wesott11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 11:44 PM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheLew View Post
I think Ryan should have got 1 game,

Stoll and Kunitz 2 games,

Torres atleast 2 games,

I actually don't think Downie should have got suspended to me it looked like a good hard shoulder to chest hit and Lovejoy ( the recipient of the hit ) said the same thing. Torres on Seabrook was ridiculous in my opinion. I am not sure how they gave Downie the suspension and not Torres.
I would only say 1 game because he jumped and has a history.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 11:48 PM
KillerKampfer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaspud View Post
G*R*E*G*O*R*Y C*A*M*P*B*E*L*L

Until then, your players were run and concussed without calls or suspensions....ask Savard

enough said.

Jumbo Joe should not have said what he did because he has been well treated by Bruins fans and got a couple standing O's his first games back but its 100% true that Campbell is the reason the Bruins get preferable calls now. Even though Colin is not allowed to technically make decisions on things regarding us.

GC has been fine this year no way I am going to take shots at him but no other fourth line center in hockey gets the icetime he does or gets played in the situations he does (3rd period down multiple goals) to succeed and look good. Julien wants a job somewhere in the league for life and is acting accordingly.

KillerKampfer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 11:51 PM
KillerKampfer*

Bobby will be back on the ice Friday, you can't do something deliberate and skate related and get away with it. Id have gone 1 game since its the playoffs (3 or 4 regular season) because it wasn't that bad but he wears a C and should know better.

KillerKampfer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 06:30 PM
imbatman

so with the Ruutu and Ryan suspensions and the no suspensions on various other lateral hits and now the Tyler Kennedy stomp, is there any doubt the Ducks are the leagues whipping boy?

Old
04-21-2011, 07:27 PM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbatman View Post
so with the Ruutu and Ryan suspensions and the no suspensions on various other lateral hits and now the Tyler Kennedy stomp, is there any doubt the Ducks are the leagues whipping boy?
I dunno, but there's clearly still a perception of the Ducks as that gritty, play-on-the-edge team from '07, even though these days they're nothing close to having that level of grit or nastiness anymore. If anything, I think this team's only about average in that department, at best.

I say next offseason we should go all Dirk-gasmic and get a bunch of sandpapery, goony, dirty thugs. If we're gonna get screwed on these sorts of things, we should at least ice a team that deserves it.

mmbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 08:09 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbatman View Post
When did the Tyler Kennedy stomp happen? I didn't hear anything about it.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 08:17 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbt View Post
I dunno, but there's clearly still a perception of the Ducks as that gritty, play-on-the-edge team from '07, even though these days they're nothing close to having that level of grit or nastiness anymore. If anything, I think this team's only about average in that department, at best.

I say next offseason we should go all Dirk-gasmic and get a bunch of sandpapery, goony, dirty thugs. If we're gonna get screwed on these sorts of things, we should at least ice a team that deserves it.
I actually thought we were not dirty enough this past regular season. Parros to me isn't doing all he could in terms of sending a message in bad losses.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 08:47 PM
Degenerate191

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKampfer View Post
Bobby will be back on the ice Friday, you can't do something deliberate and skate related and get away with it. Id have gone 1 game since its the playoffs (3 or 4 regular season) because it wasn't that bad but he wears a C and should know better.
Bobby Ryan wears a C?

Degenerate191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 09:14 PM
wesott11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenerate191 View Post
Bobby Ryan wears a C?
Wow how did we all miss that

wesott11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 09:28 PM
imbatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
When did the Tyler Kennedy stomp happen? I didn't hear anything about it.
http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/clip454349#clip454349
Yesterday's game ..
its a kick to the legs as hes laying down. Im sorry but thats way clearer intent than Ryan's kick and to a more susceptible area, but doesnt seem like anythings going to be handed down. What a surprise.

Old
04-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Jesus Teemu

vCash: 50
Well it's the Pens. Of all the teams, they are clearly the NHL's golden child and the Ducks are the exact opposite.

I hate to say anything bad about our old friend Kunitz, but it's just unbelievable how Ruutu's hit initiated the same punishment.

Jesus Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 10:47 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post

best Avatar ever. Ruutu suspension is meaningless. he will be worked up for game 6. completely weak suspension when Torres gets nothing.

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote