HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dan Girardi

Old
04-21-2011, 05:02 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghenrik213 View Post
In my opinion he's the most underrated defender in the game.
I agree....

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 05:04 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
I agree....
Torts thinks so too:

Quote:
"When I first came here, I was calling him 'Joe Girardi,'" Rangers coach John Tortorella said. "No lie, for a whole meeting. ... He is one of the most underrated players in this league, I'll tell you that right now."
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho..._ovechkin.html

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 06:55 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Girardi is our number one and the stats support it. That being said I just ordered his jersey and marcs. Great players

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 07:13 PM
EEL

I'm gonna get killed but........I think he blocks a lot of shots because he's always backing up. He doesn't want to get beat so he gives the puck carrier loads of space. He has huge balls though and I am glad he's a Ranger.

EEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 07:16 PM
JeffMangum
#meatisbeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Oh my goodness...despite the obvious list of probable hall of famers Chara, Pronger, and Lidstrom, there are a ton of other candidates...Weber, Seabrook, Keith, Staal, Montador, Orpik, Martin, and a whole bunch of others I'm not thinking of at the moment.

And the statement of the OP that I challenged was that Girardi is 'probably the best defensive defenseman in the league'. Your statement that he's 'among the top defensive d-men' is a little different.

Among? I don't know...perhaps you can make an argument based on his blocked shots that he's 'among'. Probably the best in the league? I think not.
Wait...what? Montador? As in Steve Montador? Up there with Weber, Seabrook, Staal, Keith, Orpik, and Martin?

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 07:16 PM
bmoak

And to think, his pro career almost never got started because he was initially barred entry to the United States as an undesireable.

bmoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 07:21 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Wait...what? Montador? As in Steve Montador? Up there with Weber, Seabrook, Staal, Keith, Orpik, and Martin?
I saw that too.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 07:43 PM
TheBlueMercow

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEL View Post
I'm gonna get killed but........I think he blocks a lot of shots because he's always backing up. He doesn't want to get beat so he gives the puck carrier loads of space. He has huge balls though and I am glad he's a Ranger.
My thoughts exactly. He blocks so many shots, but I feel like those shots can be prevented in the first place. Not sure if it's his fault or the Offense's but he really shouldn't have to block that many in a game.

TheBlueMercow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 07:43 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Everyone now loves Girardi. When the Rangers re-signed Girardi for four seasons at $13 plus million last July,you would have thought Sather had re-acquired Scott Gomez. It was a fair contract in July and it is a fair contract today. One salary arbitration year and three group III seasons.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 07:48 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueMercow View Post
My thoughts exactly. He blocks so many shots, but I feel like those shots can be prevented in the first place. Not sure if it's his fault or the Offense's but he really shouldn't have to block that many in a game.
I agree as well.

I'm going to take some heat for this, but I don't think he's underrated at all. He is what he is. A #3/#4 d-man that gives up his body and does, an overall, pretty darn good job of shutting down other team's top lines.

However, I wouldn't be upset if he were moved in a package for a PMD, plain and simple. I think Sauer is on his way to being a better player already, and with the amount of solid defensive prospects coming through, I think he's somewhat expendable. A top 4 of Staal, Sauer, McD, and a legitimate PMD/PP QB is much better than what we currently have.

All that being said, I love the way he plays and what he brings every night. He's been great for us, and wouldn't mind him being on the team for a long time. Honestly just not on our top-pairing. Not good enough offensively.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 07:49 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Everyone now loves Girardi. When the Rangers re-signed Girardi for four seasons at $13 plus million last July,you would have thought Sather had re-acquired Scott Gomez. It was a fair contract in July and it is a fair contract today. One salary arbitration year and three group III seasons.
The very cost efficient Girardi, and especially Staal, contracts makes it so we have a very solid 1st pairing locked up for a decent amount of time, allowing us to spend more on offense like we need to.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 08:20 PM
darko

He's come a long way this season. Legit 1st pairing. The guy is a warrior.

darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 08:24 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
It's amazing how good he's looked most of the season. He has been downright putrid at times over his career but may have finally put it all together.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 08:24 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Lolz one of those things is not like the other.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 08:47 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint Berry Crunch View Post
Agreed, easily one of my favorite players on this squad and integral to their success not only this past season but moving on. Very, very underrated throughout the league. Not bad at all for an undrafted player, eh? Scouting found us a diamond in the rough.
I agree.. He also puts up some decent points. Didn't he lead all the defenseman on this team in points this year?

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 09:53 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Alot of backhanded compliments so far in here.

Why bother saying anything then?

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 10:09 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Girardi is a warrior. Love the guy.

Im very ecstatic about our top four defensemen.

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Sauer

Should be locked in and continue to be outstanding for us for many years.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 10:11 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Sauer

Defensively it looks fantastic... But we're going to need to be able to field multiple forward lines that will contribute consistently enough to compensate from the lack of offense coming from the blueline.... Which hasn't really been a stable of the team the last few seasons...

Old
04-21-2011, 10:13 PM
JeffMangum
#meatisbeat

Quote:
Girardi is a warrior. Love the guy.

Im very ecstatic about our top four defensemen.

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Sauer

That actually shouldn't be "locked in". That top-4 screamingly needs a player who can make a better than adequate outlet pass. Mcdonagh might be able to become that, but for now, you need to be looking for an upgrade on Girardi for that top pair, as much as I like him. A player like Burns or Suter next offseason would be an unbelievable acquisition, and make the team much harder to play against than what we currently have. We could do this:

Staal-Burns/Suter
McDonagh-Sauer
Del Zotto-McIlrath/Girardi

Looks completely fantastic.

Old
04-21-2011, 10:13 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
I agree.. He also puts up some decent points. Didn't he lead all the defenseman on this team in points this year?
30 point season. Definitely an accomplishment. Second time in his career he got to around 30 points in a season.

He's a solid two way player.

In fact i don't think he gets enough credit for his two way game.

Though NHL radio today did make mention of how good a player Girardi developed into coincidently.

Our top four defensemen are starting to get some recognition.

Old
04-21-2011, 10:18 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:

Staal-Burns/Suter
McDonagh-Sauer
Del Zotto-McIlrath/Girardi

Looks completely fantastic.
Eh... I love Sauer, but if you're going to bump a player down the depth chart, it shouldn't be the more experienced player, especially not one who is among the best shot blocking defensemen in the league... Girardi needs more playing time than in a 3rd pairing role, to be effective... You shouldn't demote a guy who has been effective at containing and limited the scoring chances of some of the best forwards in the conference...

I'm pretty content with the top 4 right now and want to focus on improve our depth on the 3rd pairing.... Whether that involves MDZ, Valentenko, a veteran short-term acquisition, Kundratek, whomever.

Old
04-21-2011, 10:19 PM
JeffMangum
#meatisbeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Eh... I love Sauer, but if you're going to bump a player down the depth chart, it shouldn't be the more experienced player, especially not one who is among the best shot blocking defensemen in the league... Girardi needs more playing time than in a 3rd pairing role, to be effective... You shouldn't demote a guy who has been effective at containing some of the best forwards in the conference...

I'm pretty content with the top 4 right now and want to focus on improve our depth on the 3rd pairing.... Whether that involves MDZ, Valentenko, a veteran short-term acquisition, whatever.
McDonagh and Girardi looked pretty terrible together, so that's why I moved him down. If we get one of Suter/Burns, I expect Girardi to be packaged for forward help in the first place, so I just put him there for insurance.

Old
04-21-2011, 10:27 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Defensively it looks fantastic... But we're going to need to be able to field multiple forward lines that will contribute consistently enough to compensate from the lack of offense coming from the blueline.... Which hasn't really been a stable of the team the last few seasons...
Hopefully Del Zotto develops into the player he can be. Kid put up 37 points his rookie season i belive was the number.

But i agree, for the most part our overall scoring output is not enough.

Actually that may not be entirely true, or it may not be that simple. Our even strength and short handed play isn't an issue. Our Power Play is AWFUL though. We need a productive Power Play in the worste way.

Ill put it this way. If we had a Power Play even marginally more productive then what we have now, this series is 3-1 Rangers right now.

Because of this team's relentless hard work and attention to detail defensively, and the way special teams makes all the difference in this league, if we had the Power Play we need this team could beat any team in the legue in a 7 game series.

This is why priority #2 this summer is getting an elite level Power Play.

(Priority #1 is extending our RFAs: Dubi, Cally, Arty, Boyle, Sauer)

Old
04-21-2011, 10:36 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

We do not need to upgrade Dan Girardi... who lead the league in blocked shots, logs nearly 30 minutes, and put up 30 points.

What upgrade is there realistically?

The offense from the defense wouldn't look like an issue if this team had a Power Play.

That doesn't need to come from the defense specifically. A forward that can QB the Power Play and change its entire dynamic would also solve the issue.

A defenseman's first priority and main job is to prevent the other team from scoring or more specifically break up any potential high percentage scoring opportunity.

And our current top four does that job as good as any top four in the NHL.

Old
04-21-2011, 10:40 PM
JeffMangum
#meatisbeat

Quote:
Hmm se do not need to upgrade Dan Girardi... who lead the league in blocked shots, logs nearly 30 minutes, and put up 30 points.

What upgrade is there realistically?
Brent Burns or Ryan Suter.

Quote:
The offense from the defense wouldn't look like an issue if this team had a Power Play.

That doesn't need to come from the defense specifically. A forward that can QB the Power Play and change its entire dynamic would also solve the issue.
It still would be an issue. You're not going to be an elite team without an, in the least, adequate breakout, which the Rangers do not have on most nights.

You need a forward and a defenseman. Maybe Del Zotto could be that defenseman. But, a 5 forward powerplay unit rarely converts.

Quote:
A defenseman's first priority and main job is to prevent the other team from scoring or more specifically break up any potential high percentage scoring opportunity.

And our current top four does that job as good as any top four in the NHL.
They also have the priority of starting nearly each and every rush with an outlet pass. Our current top-4 does not do that as well as any other top-4 in the league.