HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 4 - Kings vs. Sharks - 04/21/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
04-22-2011, 12:34 AM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Sorry I missed t game.
... So did our head coach, unfortunately.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 12:34 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Dennis Bernstein on Twitter:
Dean has be to be really pissed, Cause he thought he built this team on character and grit. That has been missing the last two games.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 12:35 AM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

TG--dude, you have a real knack for getting banged up. Hope you're equally as good at mending.

It's refreshing to see someone with some kind of optimism about the next game.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Orenji

I actually think with Kopitar, this team is better than last year's by some margin.

The difference is last year's team had five times the mental fortitude this team has. When the team last year went down, they would fight back. Remember how many freaking times the team last year would go down and win games? This year's team never did that. If they went down, they got beat. When they went up, a lot of times they just destroyed teams.

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ajtacker

Heh, at least I have beer and southpark to cheer me up.

Ajtacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfouser View Post
Continuing a line of conversation from the GDT, what were the signs that the Kings were so mentally fragile? Sure they had losing streaks and frequently biffed after scoring, but how do we know that those are not simply the ups and downs of the season? They had some great winning streaks as well. How do we know that their struggles in the regular season were not just the normal range of outcomes for a team that is reasonably talented but offensively challenged, and good enough to win more games than they lose by not an elite team by any stretch?
I don't have the numbers of teams who gave up so many goals two minutes after scoring, but depending on them, it would be a great indicator. The up's and down's in and of themselves are a sign of being mentally fragile. This team hasn't been consistent in any fashion except on the penalty kill and power play. Consistently great and consistently bad respectively. They do not come back to win from going behind by 2 or more very often, that's another sign.

There's a few players that are bringing the team down, mostly. Some of them get a lot of stick from us and some don't. There is something to be said about Jack Johnson's crappy 5 on 5 play in particular. +/- is generally a crappy ass stat, but a +/- swinging in that large a direction over an 82 game grind does not lie. There are some players who need coddling rather than just going through the development growth cycle and in situations like tonight it shows the most. I don't really have the patience for it.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 12:36 AM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfouser View Post
Continuing a line of conversation from the GDT, what were the signs that the Kings were so mentally fragile? Sure they had losing streaks and frequently biffed after scoring, but how do we know that those are not simply the ups and downs of the season? They had some great winning streaks as well. How do we know that their struggles in the regular season were not just the normal range of outcomes for a team that is reasonably talented but offensively challenged, and good enough to win more games than they lose by not an elite team by any stretch?

I'm genuinely amazed by this whole turn of events, really beginning with game 2. I expected the Kings to lose the series, but to do so in their usual fashion--losing 2-1 or 3-2, grinding out a few wins by the same scores or maybe stealing one in overtime. I'm astounded that we've seen such a different team, and I'm really trying to understand what has happened here.
This. Sheesh. What happened to our supposedly vaunted defense?

Last year, we could write off "oh, they're young, they'll learn" when we were on the verge of taking a game vs. Vancouver and melted down. I'm having flashbacks of last year. Why has nothing changed? And what needs to change for next year?

This needs to be a learning experience for the young players, but it also needs to be a learning experience for coaching/management.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJames View Post
I have been a Terry Murray supporter for a long time, but after these last two games he has lost my support. I know it wont happen, but I am hoping for a new coach next year. No timeout last night, for some reason the Kings all of a sudden forget how to play defense, and why the freaking heck didnt he pull Quick on the 5 on 3!? they had nothing to lose!

And I would like to see Bernier get the start on saturday. Shake things up a little, the Kings need it.
TSN guys, had an excellent point on pulling the goalie on a 5-3, you don't gain an advantage, and if often times confuses the PP unit, all it adds is an extra body in front of the net...

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
damacles1156

Dean is also probably telling some of the Older players, "You are playing for your Job on Saturday".

Old
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto View Post
I'm not. The good thing to come out of all this is that we can win playing like crap. When we play our game, we are darn near unbeatable. The Kings have a ton of heart and I love watching them play, but when the Sharks on their game, it's something else.
I don't think anybody here cares about the Sharks right now and how good they can be. And you only won playing like crap because the Kings are not a good team. Try playing the same way against the Red Wings and see what happens.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 12:37 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsation8 View Post
Fortunately Pens had Crosby then too last yr... They still went far. They do not have him this year and they still doing good.
Crosby and Malkin out. Coaching is key. Bylsma's pinkie could out coach Murray.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 12:38 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Dennis Bernstein on Twitter:
Yeah, I expect some major work on the roster for next season...getting ousted in 5-6 games in the first round isn't going to cut it. Dean said he would have built a cup contender by now. Next season is time to put up a quality product on the ice or take a hike.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 12:39 AM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
Yeah, I expect some major work on the roster for next season...getting ousted in 5-6 games in the first round isn't going to cut it. Dean said he would have built a cup contender by now. Next season is time to put up a quality product on the ice or take a hike.
please start with the head coach, and work from there.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 12:40 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Dean is also probably telling some of the Older players, "You are playing for your Job on Saturday".
I think he told everyone that...younger players aren't going to be excluded from being traded. I wouldn't be surprised to see Simmonds, Brown and others be shopped around in the offseason.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Orenji

The whole Sharks playing like crap and then winning by playing well thought is totally subjective. When the Kings win, it's the Kings playing well and the Sharks' playing bad and when the Sharks win, it's them playing well and the Kings' also playing well, but the Kings just aren't good enough.

I think the Kings played pretty bad in parts and had defensive breakdowns.

I think that the Sharks letting the Kings score 14 goals this series is the biggest thing. That is just laughable. The Kings should never have been allowed to score more than eight goals through four games.

The Sharks do have an impressive offensive team, but their defense is crap. I don't think that's a surprise since that is what everyone expected at the start of the season, but they surprised people and did well in the regular season. Sharks just don't have that good of a defense. Not saying the Kings are any better after how much they've folded this series, but the Wings will beat the Sharks if their defense doesn't play above their heads.

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
damacles1156

Quote:
There really is just no excuse when; CLiff/simmer/richard has been the best line in the entire series on both teams.

Everyone should be showing as much heart and Grit as those Young guys.

Old
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Dean has be to be really pissed, Cause he thought he built this team on character and grit. That has been missing the last two games.
... Half right. Grit, they have.

Do you know what's been missing? I'll tell you. Focus, Maturity, and Leadership.

and Anze Kopitar.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 12:41 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
I actually think with Kopitar, this team is better than last year's by some margin.

The difference is last year's team had five times the mental fortitude this team has. When the team last year went down, they would fight back. Remember how many freaking times the team last year would go down and win games? This year's team never did that. If they went down, they got beat. When they went up, a lot of times they just destroyed teams.
True, I think the youth though is the cause of that this year, Clifford, Westgarth, Martinez, then the revolving doors of Lotkionov, King, Moller, Schenn, etc....

I don't know if this team EVER got a chance to just settle down....

Old
04-22-2011, 12:43 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
TSN guys, had an excellent point on pulling the goalie on a 5-3, you don't gain an advantage, and if often times confuses the PP unit, all it adds is an extra body in front of the net...
ive said for a long time, that in all extended 5 on 3's in 1st or 3rd periods, you pull your keeper, and have a forward play just inside your own blue line. That way if the defending team clears the puck, it can be immediately brought back into the zone before they can change units. You are also right by the bench to bring the keeper back out when your team has control of the puck with 20 seconds to go

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bobafettish*

TM throwing doughty under the bus LOL

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Franchise13

This is enemy territory (sort of) so I'll keep this brief...

Hang in there about Doughty guys, he may make silly mistakes, take himself out of games at times, but he's so supremely talented and can take over a game at any given moment. Between him and Kopi you guys have a great 1-2 Piece to build around. Martinez has been pretty damn good this series too. Both are going to be pretty good for a pretty long time.

I agree with Sacto, you guys haven't seen the best Sharks team yet, but part of that is the Kings playing hard and with heart. Props to you guys. I'm more afraid of closing this series out moreso than the potentially series with the Red Wings. Red Wings haven't played SJ as hard as LA has these past few games.

Agree with most of the fanbase here about Terry Murray. Without going into too much, he really makes me appreciate TMac even with his terrible 1-1-2 PK experiment.

As far as the future is concerned, LA is in really good shape IMO. I could see Brayden Schenn having a Couture like effect for your team. Vey is in your system too, yeah? I'd take Wayne Simmonds and Dustin Brown on SJ anytime too. Good pieces to work with in LA, you guys are lucky.

From an outsider perspective, Penner has to go. Dunno if he's hurt or what, but wow, he's not doing anything positive at all.

Series isn't over yet, especially with as hard as LA is playing. Thanks for being awesome fans throughout though and here's to peace between LA and SJ in the future. **** the Ducks!

Franchise13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
please start with the head coach, and work from there.
Dean is 0 for 2 on coaching hires for the Kings, not optimistic he will make the correct hire. Plus he is tied to Murray, not sure ownership is going to approve another coach firing.

Dean and Terry will be given next season, if the team fails to win a round they will both probably be gone.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 12:44 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
I think he told everyone that...younger players aren't going to be excluded from being traded. I wouldn't be surprised to see Simmonds, Brown and others be shopped around in the offseason.
I doubt either will be shopped, if an offer comes in he will probably listen, but actively shopped, I doubt it.

Simmonds showed a lot this series, his play with Richardson and Clifford, that's an active 3rd line for the foreseeable 10 years...they just click, it's nice to watch.

Old
04-22-2011, 12:45 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

I just don't see too much quality players available or any room on our roster. Schenn will take Handzus' spot but we're packed on the wing. Clifford has emerged as a #3 LW, Smyth and Penner will fill up the two other spots. One guy that DL might look into signing is Ben Eager for that 4th line LW role. Stanley Cup ring with the Blackhawks, Terry Murray and Lombardi know him from the Philly days. Ugh, I can't believe I'm already talking about free agency. I need another drink..

Penner-Kopitar-Williams
Smyth-Stoll-Brown
Clifford-Schenn-Simmonds
Eager-Lewis-Richardson

Doughty-Mitchell
Johnson-Scuderi
Greene(ugh)-Martinez/Voynov/Hickey/Muzzin

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 12:45 AM
damacles1156

One good thing to come out of this playoff series is the Clifford line. They could turn into a premier shut down line.