HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Rosati: "For a one-game showdown, Montreal goalie Carey Price is your man"

Old
04-22-2011, 12:30 AM
Habs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
O rly?

Maybe in the regular season..

Montreal has the better playoff team EVEN with all the injuries. More experience, and PROVEN WINNERS.

And it's going to show when Montreal dusts off the bruins in 6 games at the Bell Center.

See you Thursday night, buddy.
Thanks again skippy, way to jinx us.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 03:21 AM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Price is rotten at the Bell Center in the playoffs. Lost his last 7 games and counting I believe? It's brutal but it's true, Price is shaky at home.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 06:57 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Not sure about Price in the PO right now

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 07:39 AM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I said... MTL in 6. I stand by that.

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:31 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
So which goals do people have a problem with?
The over-time goal that was a cross-crease that he got a piece of?
The game tying goal where Sopel was facing the wrong direction, didn't get puck or man and screened Price?
The Ference one-timer that was a blast top corner?

It's a team game, Price has made a lot of game saving stops in the last two games, but when your defence does not insulate you, you are going to get scored on by uncontested shots with power and precision, by cross-ice passes and by screens. It's the nature of the beast.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:38 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
The game tying goal where Sopel was facing the wrong direction, didn't get puck or man and screened Price?

It's a team game, Price has made a lot of game saving stops in the last two games, but when your defence does not insulate you, you are going to get scored on by uncontested shots with power and precision, by cross-ice passes and by screens. It's the nature of the beast.
My problem is his inability to make one tough save to win us the game despite getting a lot of goal support. But if you want to talk specifics, goal #1 was horrible. Goalies that are on their game stop that shot. You're giving life back to the bruins and letting them back in it with that goal.

Horrible rebound control on goal #3.

Rest were fine to get scored on, provided that you had been good the rest of the game. But at some point, especially after calling his teammates out and doing Patrick Roy impersonations, you got to step up your game and make some tough saves. Giving up 5 goals like he did isn't a good game.

Nobody is saying he's the sole responsible for the loss. Spacek was bad, Gomez was bad, Moen was bad. But we had enough players do enough good things to win this game with better goaltending. And that's the truth.

Last night wasn't the Price I watched all year. Why can't people admit that ?

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:41 AM
j52

Halak held on to leads last year. Price can't do that . He is not a pressure player.

the bruins will win big in the next 2.

j52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:41 AM
macavoy

Quote:

I didn't get to see the game last night so I'm talking in genaralities here.

Yes those are all probably legit goals. But 90% of goals are probably legit goals and only 10% are goals where the goalie makes a mistake.

But here is how I look at it. I've seen this defence not insulate Price probably 20 times this season. Ok maybe I'm exageratting a little bit but they've played bad a bunch of times throughout the year and it was Price who saved the day and won those games for us.

How did he win us those games, by making saves that most goalies wouldn't have, aka finding a way to "not just get a piece of the OT goal" but by getting enough of it to stop it, by finding a way to stop a "one timer on a beautiful cross ice pass".

Price has made those types of saves throughout the year. I believe that he is still capable of that but I don't think he's played to his potential in these playoffs from the 7 periods that I did get to watch.

edit: My point is, none of the goals may have been his fault but when he is on his "A" game, he has been known to be able to make those saves.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:45 AM
bhuya71

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I didn't get to see the game last night so I'm talking in genaralities here.

Yes those are all probably legit goals. But 90% of goals are probably legit goals and only 10% are goals where the goalie makes a mistake.

But here is how I look at it. I've seen this defence not insulate Price probably 20 times this season. Ok maybe I'm exageratting a little bit but they've played bad a bunch of times throughout the year and it was Price who saved the day and won those games for us.

How did he win us those games, by making saves that most goalies wouldn't have, aka finding a way to "not just get a piece of the OT goal" but by getting enough of it to stop it, by finding a way to stop a "one timer on a beautiful cross ice pass".

Price has made those types of saves throughout the year. I believe that he is still capable of that but I don't think he's played to his potential in these playoffs from the 7 periods that I did get to watch.

edit: My point is, none of the goals may have been his fault but when he is on his "A" game, he has been known to be able to make those saves.
Watch the OT goal...Ryder was literally HANGING out ten feet in front of the net all alone... Price wasn't even looking in his direction because the price was under the goaline in the corner...Peverly whipped it to the opposite face off circle where Ryder was standing...NO CHANCE for Price

I know the huge cross creases your talking about...Price makes those because he identifies two guys coming in a two one...he's ready to move laterally...

In the OT case...his dman HAS to pick up Ryder thats literally ten feet away...no chance for Pricey there...not even superman could've stopped that me thinks

bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:46 AM
saints96

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
My problem is his inability to make one tough save to win us the game despite getting a lot of goal support. But if you want to talk specifics, goal #1 was horrible. Goalies that are on their game stop that shot. You're giving life back to the bruins and letting them back in it with that goal.

Rest were fine to get scored on, provided that you had been good the rest of the game. But at some point, especially after calling his teammates out and doing Patrick Roy impersonations, you got to step up your game and make some tough saves.

Nobody is saying he's the sole responsible for the loss. Spacek was bad, Gomez was bad, Moen was bad. But we had enough players do enough good things to win this game with better goaltending. And that's the truth.

You're wrong in your opening sentence. He made the ''big save'', Twice actually, that sequence in the 3rd when he made the pad save (1) then laying on his chest he makes a glove save (2). And also not to mention 2 or 3 nice glove stops he made during the game. I agree with you the first Ryder goal, he cudda, shudda had it, he was a little out of position on that one. But dont come here and say he doesnt make the big saves when he has to, he has. Reason why we lost- the defense wasnt nowhere as tight as it was the first 2 games. Didnt play with the same urgency and desperation, and of course that horrible horrible line change by Subban. You dont make a line change when the play is in the neutral zone coming in your end.

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:50 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Price is rotten at the Bell Center in the playoffs. Lost his last 7 games and counting I believe? It's brutal but it's true, Price is shaky at home.
Our D was brutal last night...go back and look at the goals...Price was fine, the defence was shaky...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:52 AM
j52

He did not win the game. there are a million excuses for why the Bruins scored, but the bottom line is he let in 5 goals, and did not hold on to 3 leads. Halak did.

j52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:54 AM
habdynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by j52 View Post
He did not win the game. there are a million excuses for why the Bruins scored, but the bottom line is he let in 5 goals, and did not hold on to 3 leads. Halak did.
Halak failed to make the playoffs lol, nice to see the haters return....

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:54 AM
saints96

Quote:
i cudda bet my house the ******* Halak lovers like this guy would come out after last nights game. Did you have to wait too long in line for his autograph last year at the mall?

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:55 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2009030112

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:58 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post

Rest were fine to get scored on, provided that you had been good the rest of the game. But at some point, especially after calling his teammates out and doing Patrick Roy impersonations, you got to step up your game and make some tough saves. Giving up 5 goals like he did isn't a good game.

It's the extreme. People are BLAMING Price for the loss. That is not right. Sure, he wasn't his season saving self, he wasn't on top of his game, but he gave us a chance to win. He bailed us out more then enough, sometimes your defence has to bail you out. They did not bail Price out tonight as they were not strong around his crease and constantly lost their men in coverage, you cannot give goal scorers time and space.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 11:04 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuya71 View Post
Watch the OT goal...Ryder was literally HANGING out ten feet in front of the net all alone... Price wasn't even looking in his direction because the price was under the goaline in the corner...Peverly whipped it to the opposite face off circle where Ryder was standing...NO CHANCE for Price

I know the huge cross creases your talking about...Price makes those because he identifies two guys coming in a two one...he's ready to move laterally...

In the OT case...his dman HAS to pick up Ryder thats literally ten feet away...no chance for Pricey there...not even superman could've stopped that me thinks
Maybe I just think Price is a better goalie than what most of you think. I think he is capable of being better than he was last night.

I think he could have had Ryder's first goal if his positioning was better.

Again the Ferrence goal, he was probably screened but I think when he is on his game, he finds a way to see that puck, I think Price is that good when he's on.

I also think he's more than capable of stopping the Bergeron goal. Again, I wouldn't blame the goal on him but I think he's capable of making that save.

On the 4th goal, he looks lost. Again I think Price is capable of following the play better than that.

I agree on the Ryder goal he had no chance but I've also seen him make those great saves because of his size and positioning.

My point is, if you read the forums for the past 3 months before the playoffs, the reason we did so good was because of Price. He was stealing games, making those big impossible saves. There was a reason why so many homer fans were saying Price should win the Vezina. He can play lights out hockey.

He is playing like a good goalie right now but he isn't playing lights out like he is capable of. When he didn't play lights out in the regular season, we often lost the game. That is what has happened here imo to a degree.

We need him to play lights out to beat Boston in a 7 games series. That is the make up of this team in the regular season. He played real good in the first two games but I wouldn't say he stole either of those games.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
It's the extreme. People are BLAMING Price for the loss. That is not right. Sure, he wasn't his season saving self, he wasn't on top of his game, but he gave us a chance to win. He bailed us out more then enough, sometimes your defence has to bail you out. They did not bail Price out tonight as they were not strong around his crease and constantly lost their men in coverage, you cannot give goal scorers time and space.
See, I think it's the other way around. Let me explain.

The team played exceptional defense in game #1-2. Price had two easy nights in Boston. You can't say otherwise.

In game #3-4, it was Price's turn to steal one of these two games. Heck, not even steal them, if he had just been a bit more solid. Game #3 he sinked us with that dumb puck handling, not to mention goal #2 wasn't very good. Game #4 it was more of the same, and he allowed 5 goals. It was Price's turn to step up and be the top 5 goalie he had been all year. He did not do that.

I'm not blaming him for the loss, despite his less than average performances, we could have won with better play as a team. But Price was not a positive factor in this series. He is our best player, and I was hoping for more from him in the playoffs.

Thankfully Thomas has sucked too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
You're wrong in your opening sentence. He made the ''big save'', Twice actually, that sequence in the 3rd when he made the pad save (1) then laying on his chest he makes a glove save (2). And also not to mention 2 or 3 nice glove stops he made during the game. I agree with you the first Ryder goal, he cudda, shudda had it, he was a little out of position on that one. But dont come here and say he doesnt make the big saves when he has to, he has. Reason why we lost- the defense wasnt nowhere as tight as it was the first 2 games. Didnt play with the same urgency and desperation, and of course that horrible horrible line change by Subban. You dont make a line change when the play is in the neutral zone coming in your end.
Yeah, he made some saves. Goalies do that you know. That's what annoy me with some of you and your perceptions of goalies. It's like any saves they make are a bonus and we shouldn't expect it. A goalie could give up 8 goals, but if he made a big save at some point in the game so you can't say he didn't make big saves ? I dunno about that.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 11:33 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
Halak failed to make the playoffs lol, nice to see the haters return....
I was thinking the same...

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 08:48 PM
Shadyone33

I like the article on TSN right now. Carey didn't play great but he did play bad enough to be hung like some folks are suggesting. I don't think Carey should be looking to change much in his game.

"I'm not happy with the result or giving up five goals, but I felt good about my game," Price said. "I replayed the game about four times in my head last night and I wouldn't have changed a whole lot."

We've seen Price have a bad game this year and generally respond well. If that was a bad game where he was not totally to blame I'll take it. He won't play bad next game.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=363248

Shadyone33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:03 AM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyone33 View Post
I like the article on TSN right now. Carey didn't play great but he did play bad enough to be hung like some folks are suggesting. I don't think Carey should be looking to change much in his game.

"I'm not happy with the result or giving up five goals, but I felt good about my game," Price said. "I replayed the game about four times in my head last night and I wouldn't have changed a whole lot."

We've seen Price have a bad game this year and generally respond well. If that was a bad game where he was not totally to blame I'll take it. He won't play bad next game.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=363248
He had a bad game monday also. Until he comes up big in the playoffs,he definately can't be considered a great goalie. 7-13 playoff record with sv pct under .900.I hope he's not another one of these players (like Markov) that gets you to the playoffs and then wilts

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 12:26 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

First, it was Babcock then it was Brodeur himself. Then someone created a thread in the Playoffs board and now this. Damn you, jinx, DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 01:15 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Halak held on to leads last year. Price can't do that . He is not a pressure player.

the bruins will win big in the next 2.
If only we could be shown all the goals that would have gone in without him (which are therefore big saves to keep us in the game)....

Halak's saves were on shots that were nothing like the goals Carey has let in. Seriously, review it. Halak was great but he was channeling magic. The puck was coming to him. Price has to literally cover every part of the net. Ovechkin, Crosby et al. didn't shoot top corner snipes like the Ference and Ryder goals.

If we score on another goalie (Cammy, AK, PK, Pleky...we've seen them do it)...we never think that the other goalie should have had that. Perfect shot is a perfect shot. You can cut down the angle as much as possible, but if you can thread the needle that's it. There are maybe two goals I'd like back all series from Price and none were tying goals. The sopel in the skates one irritates me to no end since he was essentially a bruin player, blocking Price from grabbing the puck and just letting Kelly tap it through. the OT goal could have been THE save of the series if it weren't for an inch.

No problem with Carey. Our defence was not great last year, but Halak would not have made the saves on those top corners (and knucklepucks on one). Trust in Price. He will deliver.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 02:39 PM
One Trick Pony

Quote:
Yeah that's probably what you where saying last year when we blew up a, what was it, 4-1 lead in game 2? And then we proceeded to lose 3 games in a row...

And what were you saying when it was 2-0 Habs less than a week ago? Price didn't keep the lead? our D kept the lead for him? The bruins handed him the win by not scoring?

Your ****ing ridiculous

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 02:44 PM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliash View Post
Yeah that's probably what you where saying last year when we blew up a, what was it, 4-1 lead in game 2? And then we proceeded to lose 3 games in a row...

And what were you saying when it was 2-0 Habs less than a week ago? Price didn't keep the lead? our D kept the lead for him? The bruins handed him the win by not scoring?

Your ****ing ridiculous
+1000.

Vanek20 is offline   Reply With Quote