HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Ference fined $2500 by NHL

Old
04-22-2011, 10:09 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Man up, Ference. You scored a goal, you wanted to stick it to the crowd, so you gave them the finger. You're a really big guy, you're tough and bad, bla bla bla. Stop it with the bull crap excuse and just tell the truth.

He's already lost a lot of respect from people, lying about it won't win him back any of it.
He should've just said sorry and that's it. I think he looks like an idiot for making excuses.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:11 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
Doesn't matter which team he plays for. He gets a fine.
But Wisniewski gets 2 games for an obscene gesture.

The NHL must have a different rule book in the post season.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:19 AM
Maliki2

Ference fined $2500 by NHL

It's official Ference fined $2500 by the NHL. If that was a Hab, I'm sure a suspension would be incoming.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=560625

This says enough, "The incident was reviewed by NHL Senior Vice President of Hockey Operations Mike Murphy. "

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:21 AM
ThaDevilGirl

No. He'd still get the fine. It was a no brainer, the NHL couldn't let it slide.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Gary320

Please put your Habs glasses off.. Any player, any team. He gets the same fine...

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:23 AM
Tusk

Didn't Wiz get an actual suspension for a rude gesture, to one player, not 20,000 fans? I don't care either way but it just seems hilarious and inconsistent.

Tusk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:23 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

It seems to me like when Max Pac stumbled into the post of the board to make Chara look bad, eventualy it made Chara ill wich in turn gave his disease to Ference when they were in the sona together and when he scored, seeing Habs fan cry in the stands, he became so sensible, feeling their pain, that the disease created some sort of artritic backlash into Ference's hand, crippling his fingers into a closed fist while living his middle finger straight up.

Benoit Brunet told me this.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:25 AM
NHLcrazy

Makes no sense.

A player showing a obscene gesture to another player gets 2 games but a player showing a obscene gesture to fans (and children), who are responsible for their salary and quality of life, gets a fine.

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:26 AM
Maliki2

Quote:
Please put your Habs glasses off.. Any player, any team. He gets the same fine...
See the post below yours. That explains enough.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:29 AM
Bill McNeal

Nobody's getting suspended in the playoffs for an obscene gesture.

It does make Campbell look like a fool for suspending Wiz earlier in the season, though. But at this point it's like putting a 'kick me' sign on the village idiot.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
I found it ridicilous that the league even gave Wiz two games.

I'm being consistent with my opinion, the league is being inconsistent with it's suspensions.. but what else is new?

Honestly, he doesn't deserve a suspension.. and neither did Wiz. Give Wiz a fine.. and there you go.

Old
04-22-2011, 10:31 AM
coolasprICE

hahaha , I called it in the other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
This is true -- he also plays 18-20 mins a game... so it will have to be $2500 slap on the wrist and some off-season proper conduct counselling .

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:32 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

That some charity gets $2500 from the lining of this players couch is of no concern to me, why wasn't a misconduct handed out on the play?

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:32 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
As a parent, if I am taking my child to a hockey game, I know that there will be alcohol consumption by other people involved, there will likely be swearing involved.

That being said, I would also likely expect my child to see a middle finger at some point, or at least include it in the realm of possibilities in that environment.

I would not expect my child to be given sex education in terms of blow job gestures. If Habs fans aren't smart enough to realize there is a huge difference between the two, then Habs fans are lot less educated and pathetic imo.

They are no where near close to the same. How many parents would prefer to have their children witness blow job gestures over the middle finger? I don't think there are too many.

The NHL made the right move by suspending Wiz those 2 games. Other NHL players have done the middle finger this year and there was no suspension. So they are being consistent imo.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:34 AM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCareyPrice View Post
That some charity gets $2500 from the lining of this players couch is of no concern to me, why wasn't a misconduct handed out on the play?
So give a misconduct to everyone who say's "**** you" to fans or to other players?

You don't see it on TV, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Fine was the right call.

Old
04-22-2011, 10:35 AM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
As a parent, if I am taking my child to a hockey game, I know that there will be alcohol consumption by other people involved, there will likely be swearing involved.

That being said, I would also likely expect my child to see a middle finger at some point, or at least include it in the realm of possibilities in that environment.

I would not expect my child to be given sex education in terms of blow job gestures. If Habs fans aren't smart enough to realize there is a huge difference between the two, then Habs fans are lot less educated and pathetic imo.

They are no where near close to the same. How many parents would prefer to have their children witness blow job gestures over the middle finger? I don't think there are too many.

The NHL made the right move by suspending Wiz those 2 games. Other NHL players have done the middle finger this year and there was no suspension. So they are being consistent imo.
I agree with your post, but I think Wiz should have gotten a big fine instead of suspension..

Old
04-22-2011, 10:41 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
It does make Campbell look like a fool for suspending Wiz earlier in the season, though. But at this point it's like putting a 'kick me' sign on the village idiot.
Campbell is very consistent if you understand the set of rules that he applies. The problem is the majority of fans simply chose to not look at the set of rules that he applies and chose to get mad because they didn't get what they want.

Old
Pascal

That's like me getting a $20 fine. Good job NHL having a max fine of 2.5k for players making millions.

#jokeleague

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LastRide

I thought the fine would be a little bigger. They should have just let it slide for a measly $2500.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:42 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
So give a misconduct to everyone who say's "**** you" to fans or to other players?

You don't see it on TV, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Fine was the right call.
75.2 Minor Penalty - A minor penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct shall be assessed under this rule for the following infractions:

(i) Any identifiable player who uses obscene, profane or abusive language or gestures directed at any person.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:42 AM
macavoy

Quote:
I agree with your post, but I think Wiz should have gotten a big fine instead of suspension..
Except that is impossible, the size of the fines are limited by the CBA and the only way to 'hit players in the pocket book' is by suspending them.

Old
04-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Campbell is very consistent if you understand the set of rules that he applies. The problem is the majority of fans simply chose to not look at the set of rules that he applies and chose to get mad because they didn't get what they want.
Not since this whole headshot debate started.

And no, suspending one guy for 2 games for mimicking a ******* to another player and giving a 2.5K fine to another for flipping off fans is not logical despite what you don't want to explain to your kids. It's arbitrary. If you want to say he's consistent in being arbitrary, then yes, he's the King.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCareyPrice View Post
75.2 Minor Penalty - A minor penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct shall be assessed under this rule for the following infractions:

(i) Any identifiable player who uses obscene, profane or abusive language or gestures directed at any person.
Any how many are actually applied?

I think something like "I'm going to ****ing destroy you" is looked at as more serious instead of F You..

the refs have their standards as to what is considered obsene, profane or abusive language/gesture.

I honestly don't think it's a merit of suspension.
Maybe the fine should have been larger, but the rules say no..

Old
04-22-2011, 10:45 AM
Bob Cole

Quote:

I agree with you but people watch the game on tv. It was shown multiple times on rds and cbc.

Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:47 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
Not since this whole headshot debate started.

And no, suspending one guy for 2 games for mimicking a ******* to another player and giving a 2.5K fine to another for flipping off fans is not logical despite what you don't want to explain to your kids. It's arbitrary. If you want to say he's consistent in being arbitrary, then yes, he's the King.

the last time a player gave the finger, he gave a fine.

That is what I call consistent.

What do you call it?

Blow job gestures and the middle finger are very different. Do you not agree?

Last edited by PyrettaBlaze*: 04-22-2011 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Link doesn't work