HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ference fined $2500 by NHL

Old
04-22-2011, 11:48 AM
Hermamoud

vCash: 500
I guess that wasn't a strong hockey play

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRide View Post
I thought the fine would be a little bigger. They should have just let it slide for a measly $2500.
2.5k is the max in the CBA.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
Any how many are actually applied?

I think something like "I'm going to ****ing destroy you" is looked at as more serious instead of F You..

the refs have their standards as to what is considered obsene, profane or abusive language/gesture.
There is a difference between a threat and a gesture.

This isn't F-you it is a gesture that everyone can see and clearly conduct you should not see in the course of a game. there is no possible argument that raising the finger doesn't constitute a rude gesture under rule 75.

The ref either didn't see it (the play was over) or applied his judgement incorrectly but it should have been a minor penalty.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 11:58 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post

the last time a player gave the finger, he gave a fine.

That is what I call consistent.

What do you call it?

Blow job gestures and the middle finger are very different. Do you not agree?
My original statement was that this makes him look like a fool for suspending Wisniewski, not that it isn't consistent with his other rulings on flipping the bird.

When Wisniewski got suspended I told myself "I guess the NHL wants to keep a clean image and handing out a harsh suspension like this will do just that". It was completely out of line with any punishment for any other obscene gesture that came before it, but if you believed this was how the NHL wanted to conduct itself going forward, then fine.

Fast forward to yesterday, and I knew the NHL would only fine him and I knew they'd look like idiots because they can't be consistent with their own policies regarding league image.

As for the difference between the two gestures, even if one were to believe that mimicking ******** was so much worse than giving the finger (which is kinda bizarre given both are sexual in nature and if you had to explain sexual acts to your kids after seeing Wiz you'd also eventually have to explain them what the word **** means) it's not $53,000 worse which is what this came down to.

Last edited by PyrettaBlaze: 04-22-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 12:00 PM
bhuya71

Quote:
As a parent, if I am taking my child to a hockey game, I know that there will be alcohol consumption by other people involved, there will likely be swearing involved.

That being said, I would also likely expect my child to see a middle finger at some point, or at least include it in the realm of possibilities in that environment.

I would not expect my child to be given sex education in terms of blow job gestures. If Habs fans aren't smart enough to realize there is a huge difference between the two, then Habs fans are lot less educated and pathetic imo.

They are no where near close to the same. How many parents would prefer to have their children witness blow job gestures over the middle finger? I don't think there are too many.

The NHL made the right move by suspending Wiz those 2 games. Other NHL players have done the middle finger this year and there was no suspension. So they are being consistent imo.
In all honesty...I know your a habs fan?

But what makes you all high and mighty than the rest of us?

You have been coming into a lot of threads degrading the fanbase and pimping yourself out?

As a formal suggestion... Please stop?

Thanks and bye!

bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Bermy

Meh, it's just the middle finger

Bermy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 12:03 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
As for the difference between the two gestures, even if one were to believe that mimicking ******** was so much worse than giving the finger (which is kinda bizarre given both are sexual in nature and if you had to explain sexual acts to your kids after seeing Wiz you'd also eventually have to explain them what the word **** means) it's not $53,000 worse which is what this came down to.
Do you think Wiz learned his lesson? I do. Do you think Ferrance learned his lesson? I don't.

The 53k difference is what imo caused Wiz to learn his lesson and Ferrance to not learn.

I do think that the NHL should send a msg to its refs though, to start giving out 2 minute penalties for giving the finger and I'm pretty sure that will stop players from doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuya71 View Post
In all honesty...I know your a habs fan?

But what makes you all high and mighty than the rest of us?

You have been coming into a lot of threads degrading the fanbase and pimping yourself out?

As a formal suggestion... Please stop?

Thanks and bye!
So posting in a positive manner with ethics is frowned upon? lol

I will continue my fight to have other posters to have a positive frame of mind. I prefer to act like Habs players, with class instead of acting like Boston players.

So I'm sorry, I'm going to continue posting.

Last edited by PyrettaBlaze: 04-22-2011 at 12:24 PM.
macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 12:09 PM
bhuya71

Quote:
So posting in a positive manner with ethics is frowned upon? lol

I will continue my fight to have other posters to have a positive frame of mind. I prefer to act like Habs players, with class instead of acting like Boston players.

So I'm sorry, I'm going to continue posting.
You can be ethical all you want...but don't degrade others to prove a point? Notice how I didn't call you stupid or pathetic...like you posted previously?

Lo and behold, I got quite a civilized answer out of you...

If you make a point (which I partially agree with) then by all means but it shouldn't come at the cost of flaming a fanbase which is technically not allowed.

I do not agree with your sentiment (partially) because I don't think fans/children should be subject to any obscene gestures whether its a BJ or an FU...which if you think of the sexually explicit act IS WAY WORSE...

Its like saying I prefer aggravated assault because murder is worse...either way they are both bad bro

Just chill on the flaming and overgeneralizations and then perhaps you won't be met with negativity

bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Do you think Wiz learned his lesson? I do. Do you think Ferrance learned his lesson? I don't.

The 53k difference is what imo caused Wiz to learn his lesson and Ferrance to not learn.

I do think that the NHL should send a msg to its refs though, to start giving out 2 minute penalties for giving the finger and I'm pretty sure that will stop players from doing it.
Which is exactly my point. Harsh suspensions will completely rid the game of obscene gestures, if that's what the league wants to do. I don't care either way, I'm an adult without any kids so to me, a gesture is a gesture. No skin off my back. I thought that was the message they were sending, but clearly they don't care about their image that much and this just makes them look even more foolish.

I have no doubt in my mind that had Wiz done his gesture during the playoffs, he'd only be fined as well. Which is another problem all together. League disciplinarians, just like their on-ice officials, are too scared to do their jobs when they think the games matter more.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 12:15 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuya71 View Post
Just chill on the flaming and overgeneralizations and then perhaps you won't be met with negativity
Its not an over generalization though, its common knowledge and accepted by pretty much everyone around here that Habs fans on HF are very bi-polar. I'm not complaining that my posts are met with negativity because for the most part, people have agreed with my post.

I honestly think that the Montreal fan base as a whole deserves whatever flack we receive because of the way we act.

But I agree, I probably can chose some words better.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 12:41 PM
Habs

Its As If Someone's Dad On The Bruins Is Making The Suspension Decisions.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:22 PM
ChoseLa

I'm pretty sure that's a result of the **** in the Boston media and among their fans, about how the Bruins are the vigilantes of the NHL, they have a pure heart, and the Habs are evilish cheaters and their fans hate freedom and the USA.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:24 PM
BREWINZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Man up, Ference. You scored a goal, you wanted to stick it to the crowd, so you gave them the finger. You're a really big guy, you're tough and bad, bla bla bla. Stop it with the bull crap excuse and just tell the truth.

He's already lost a lot of respect from people, lying about it won't win him back any of it.
I have to say I agree. I watched the video over and over. I don't see how it's remotely unintentional. I believe he absolutely intended to do it. Lying about it doesn't help his cause at all. Oh well, he got his fine so his excuses don't matter.

BREWINZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:32 PM
leopod

When one pleads not guilty while he is found guilty, I think the judgment is more severe...but NHL is not justice so his lame excuse will have no consequence...too bad.

leopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:34 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
the last time a player gave the finger, he gave a fine.

That is what I call consistent.

What do you call it?

They are different, no question. They are also in different circumstances.

One was directed towards an opposing player (it can be seen as heat of the moment during the game)

The other was directed towards FANS of an opposing teams. That's not very good for the image of the league and frankly it just further cements the conspiracy theorists out there that the Bruins can get away with their bush league antics and the league will not take the actions seriously.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:36 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:

Hmmm.... not sure about that.

Saying **** you to paying customers is actually worse in my eyes.

As for the gesture itself, one is as bad as the other....

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermamoud View Post
I guess that wasn't a strong hockey play
Nope. But a strong glove play enough to not be suspended.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Gally11

I really want a hab to do it after a goal see how league reacts precendent has been set.

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:42 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereabouts Unknown View Post
I really want a hab to do it after a goal see how league reacts precendent has been set.
May as well be PK, everyone hates him anyways.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Its As If Someone's Dad On The Bruins Is Making The Suspension Decisions.
Yeah, it's really bizarre....

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:44 PM
Mr San Diego Hab
Mosdell = Cup Champ

I could care less about this…he got fined as he should have but I really don’t care.

What I do care about is the friggen horrible D the team played on Thursday.
It was pathetic.
Boston goes down 3-1 and started to feel desperate. What did the Habs do? Started playing like the game was won and got steamed rolled.

Gomez was again pathetic. I have met the guy a few times so it pains me to say that but the truth is his play is just plain bad. You can add Spacek to the “Horrible” list also.

ugh

Mr San Diego Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
ya that's actually funny...

The league suspended Wiz when he was with the Isles earlier in the year for an obscene gesture to Avery...

This time it's a player doing it against a fan -- one would think that it's an automatic suspension.
Colin's Kid is on the team.. Mickey mouse league. And you either have to be born without a brain or have had a major head injury if you think Ference was honest..

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:55 PM
Krnage

bettman said....its part of the game

Krnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:59 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermy View Post
Meh, it's just the middle finger
The middle finger that was hidden on the replay by TSN after the game..

Might as well have every player on any team do the finger at least once and claim your finger was stuck. That's the stupidest excuse I've ever heard.. Like I've every had my fingers stuck in my glove before.. He lied, plain and simple...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 02:49 PM
HabsNation514

I was pretty offended by what Ference did...until I flipped someone off in traffic this morning

HabsNation514 is offline   Reply With Quote