HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Notes: Carter frustrated with scoring slump

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2011, 10:31 PM
infidelappel*

vCash: 500
Fortunately, Carter got hurt tonight, so it looks like he's got his alibi set for another year of underachieving!

Old
04-20-2011, 11:38 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Fortunately, Carter got hurt tonight, so it looks like he's got his alibi set for another year of underachieving!
Hey now how do you expect the guy to get involved physically and battle like JVR with ONE broken knee!

Old
04-21-2011, 09:52 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Of all the retarded things you post on here, this has got to top them all.

Well done.

Old
04-21-2011, 10:13 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Of all the retarded things you post on here, this has got to top them all.

Well done.
Coming from you, I'll actually consider calling my posts 'retarded' a bit of a compliment.

Old
04-21-2011, 11:35 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
As much as I get on him for his lack of being a playoff flop, they need him on the roster playing. It also does little to evaluate him as a playoff performer, the only goal he scored was on the PP which was needed, and the assist was the EN by Timonen, so it is not like he was battling and coming up big.

Which brings me to game 2, where he missed chances, blew coverage, floated around waiting for the play to happen instead of trying to make something happen. He is a critical piece of the PP which has be a huge stinker. I am really, honestly trying to get a pulse on whether he is a legit NHL player or just a guy who is going to collect the stats and the paycheck and not make the extra effort to take this team to the next level.

Old
04-21-2011, 11:46 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
As much as I get on him for his lack of being a playoff flop, they need him on the roster playing. It also does little to evaluate him as a playoff performer, the only goal he scored was on the PP which was needed, and the assist was the EN by Timonen, so it is not like he was battling and coming up big.

Which brings me to game 2, where he missed chances, blew coverage, floated around waiting for the play to happen instead of trying to make something happen. He is a critical piece of the PP which has be a huge stinker. I am really, honestly trying to get a pulse on whether he is a legit NHL player or just a guy who is going to collect the stats and the paycheck and not make the extra effort to take this team to the next level.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing about the PP goal so far and now not being able to assess him properly again depending on the seriousness of the injury. We also need him for faceoffs and just overall defensive coverage away from the puck. Having said this as he admitted his role is to score more and help the team in that respect whether on the PP or ESG. When he was on one of his typical "streaks" he was getting in front of the net and battling like JVR is doing. For whatever reason (possibly Buffalo's physicality) he's been hesitant to battle and work for his production. Hence the overall lack of production apart from the PP which was not a good indication of him battling for his goal but just an indication of his skill when he has the room by default of the man advantage.

I guess he's one of the ones that Carcillo is referring to with the below comment. Have seen Jeff get rubbed out along the boards and neutralized a lot so far and Jeff looking kind of befuddled and frustrated about it all. JVR instead is looking like Lindros and battling through it and throwing people down like a mad man. Here people thought that wasn't in JVR's "nature" like they are saying with Carter and him just doing things "effortlessly" like some deity which to me is a total BS apologist excuse....

Quote:
"They're hard on the right guys," Carcillo said. "They haven't said boo to some of the other guys who they know will fight back. That's the way they play. That's the way they've always played. So we'll see what happens in [Game] 5."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz1KAcrvbum

Old
04-21-2011, 12:46 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:

My comment was a lot more tongue-in-cheek than anyone seems to have realized.

I recognize Carter's importance to this team, and have said numerous times that we need him to be productive and defensively solid - both things he is more than capable of being. There is still simple irony in this situation in that if, once again, he fails to meet his regular season performance levels, there is an injury to write it off.

Old
04-21-2011, 12:56 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
There is still simple irony in this situation in that if, once again, he fails to meet his regular season performance levels, there is an injury to write it off.
C'mon how do expect a paraplegic to score goals...

Old
04-21-2011, 09:25 PM
Chainsaw

Tell Carter im frustrated with him

Old
04-22-2011, 12:08 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
C'mon how do expect a paraplegic to score goals...
Bank the puck in off him?

Old
04-22-2011, 08:39 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Yeah I was thinking the same thing about the PP goal so far and now not being able to assess him properly again depending on the seriousness of the injury. We also need him for faceoffs and just overall defensive coverage away from the puck. Having said this as he admitted his role is to score more and help the team in that respect whether on the PP or ESG. When he was on one of his typical "streaks" he was getting in front of the net and battling like JVR is doing. For whatever reason (possibly Buffalo's physicality) he's been hesitant to battle and work for his production. Hence the overall lack of production apart from the PP which was not a good indication of him battling for his goal but just an indication of his skill when he has the room by default of the man advantage.

I guess he's one of the ones that Carcillo is referring to with the below comment. Have seen Jeff get rubbed out along the boards and neutralized a lot so far and Jeff looking kind of befuddled and frustrated about it all. JVR instead is looking like Lindros and battling through it and throwing people down like a mad man. Here people thought that wasn't in JVR's "nature" like they are saying with Carter and him just doing things "effortlessly" like some deity which to me is a total BS apologist excuse....

See, this is what I totally agree with. Teams know how to get Carter off his game and he has done nothing to change that over the years, almost like he is stuck relying on the wrist shot and regular season stats to get him through. No one ever questions his regular season production, but if the games get tight and physical he tends to disappear. This is not opinion, it is watching him play over the years in these types of game. Frustrating when you see JvR in only his second year get it and keep developing his game.

But bottom line, he is still needed, hopefully he will be back soon.

Old
04-22-2011, 03:05 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
See, this is what I totally agree with. Teams know how to get Carter off his game and he has done nothing to change that over the years, almost like he is stuck relying on the wrist shot and regular season stats to get him through. No one ever questions his regular season production, but if the games get tight and physical he tends to disappear. This is not opinion, it is watching him play over the years in these types of game. Frustrating when you see JvR in only his second year get it and keep developing his game.

But bottom line, he is still needed, hopefully he will be back soon.
Jeff Carter was an atrocious defensive zone player and sucked in the faceoff circle when he broke into the NHL. You continue to refuse to give this kid credit for anything positive.

JVR shows flashes but still hasn't 'broken out', since he hasn't translated his stronger play into consistent points on the board. It will come, but it hasn't yet.

04-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Jeff Carter was an atrocious defensive zone player and sucked in the faceoff circle when he broke into the NHL. You continue to refuse to give this kid credit for anything positive.

JVR shows flashes but still hasn't 'broken out', since he hasn't translated his stronger play into consistent points on the board. It will come, but it hasn't yet.
I have given him props, and have even said they will need him in the playoffs regardless, but his primary need for this team is to score goals. He has yet to prove he can do this in the post-season when games get more physical and many of the games are won with battles on the boards.

JvR has done this, even if he is not scoring he is creating chances by getting involved physically. One of the things in this series is the difference in hits, Flyers need to be more aggressive in this part of the game. No one has ever said Carter is not talented, just come the playoffs I think he is too prone to lock up instead of flourish like Briere or Giroux and Richards.

Old
04-22-2011, 04:44 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
I have given him props, and have even said they will need him in the playoffs regardless, but his primary need for this team is to score goals. He has yet to prove he can do this in the post-season when games get more physical and many of the games are won with battles on the boards.

JvR has done this, even if he is not scoring he is creating chances by getting involved physically. One of the things in this series is the difference in hits, Flyers need to be more aggressive in this part of the game. No one has ever said Carter is not talented, just come the playoffs I think he is too prone to lock up instead of flourish like Briere or Giroux and Richards.
Briere, Giroux and Richards haven't exactly set the world on fire in the first 4 games. Briere is still terrible defensively and hasn't shown much offence since the all star break, G is either brilliant or passes with an open shooting lane, Richards has been quiet offensively although his defense has been stellar.

Old
04-22-2011, 05:20 PM
Jester

Quote:

I like how you completely sidestepped the gaping holes in your story that were pointed out to talk about other stuff.

Old
04-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Carter has so many tools, so many positives and can dominate a game. But when the checking gets tighter and tougher, he really does diss-appear. He has been utterly useless on the boards in the play-offs.

* cue someone posting the only check on the boards he has made all year*

Old
04-22-2011, 07:52 PM
SilkyMitts

according to the mike missenelli show today, carter was seen out having beers in old city last night. i know hes scratched, but still...doesnt send the right message.

Old
04-25-2011, 10:28 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Briere, Giroux and Richards haven't exactly set the world on fire in the first 4 games. Briere is still terrible defensively and hasn't shown much offence since the all star break, G is either brilliant or passes with an open shooting lane, Richards has been quiet offensively although his defense has been stellar.
Really...Briere?

I find it pretty ironic that without Jeff Carter the team is producing more offense..but that was the case last year until he came back with his "two broken feet" and seemed to eff up the chemistry of the team offensively. I even recall Meltzer commenting that he may have two broken feet but his brain is not broken. His decisions on the ice were horrid...

As far as his off ice exploits...nobody is perfect but I've heard enough first hand experiences to come to the conclusion that the guy is one cocky dude and has some character issues but it's neither here nor there. I would just like one day for this guy to not be FRUSTRATED in the playoffs or get freaking injured which is not his fault but tiresome nonetheless.

Old
04-25-2011, 10:40 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Carter has so many tools, so many positives and can dominate a game. But when the checking gets tighter and tougher, he really does diss-appear. He has been utterly useless on the boards in the play-offs.

* cue someone posting the only check on the boards he has made all year*
Actually, he was fantastic in Games 1-3 along the boards, doing the majority of the dirty work for his line.

For example, go check out Timonen's ENG that iced Game 3... Carter was the one that did the work to get the puck loose and to Giroux.

Old
04-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkyMitts View Post
according to the mike missenelli show today, carter was seen out having beers in old city last night. i know hes scratched, but still...doesnt send the right message.
Is he supposed to exile himself from the world until he's fit to play?

Old
04-25-2011, 10:48 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkyMitts View Post
What message is that? He's of age?

People are FAR too concerned about this crap...

Quote:
Really...Briere?

I find it pretty ironic that without Jeff Carter the team is producing more offense..but that was the case last year until he came back with his "two broken feet" and seemed to eff up the chemistry of the team offensively. I even recall Meltzer commenting that he may have two broken feet but his brain is not broken. His decisions on the ice were horrid...

As far as his off ice exploits...nobody is perfect but I've heard enough first hand experiences to come to the conclusion that the guy is one cocky dude and has some character issues but it's neither here nor there. I would just like one day for this guy to not be FRUSTRATED in the playoffs or get freaking injured which is not his fault but tiresome nonetheless.
2-1 to 1-2.

They've also allowed more goals.

Old
04-25-2011, 10:49 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
What message is that? He's of age?

People are FAR too concerned about this crap...

2-1 to 1-2.

They've also allowed more goals.
They??....oh you mean the crappy goaltending....whatever

Old
04-25-2011, 10:54 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Really...Briere?

Talk about the fluffers missing the facts, I am just happy to see some that get the reality of the situation:

2010-11
Briere: 34 goals, 34 assts, 68pts in 77 games
Carter: 36 goals, 30 assists, 66pts in 80 games

2009-10
Briere: 26 goals, 27 assists, 53 pts in 75 games
Carter: 33 goals,28 assists, 61pts in 74 games

Now the playoff numbers:

Carter: 13goals, 8assists, 21pts in 45 games
Briere: 40goals, 52assists, 92 pts in 92 games.

Last edited by Cartsiephan*: 04-25-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old
04-25-2011, 10:56 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

the team doesnt miss him and neither do I

Old
04-25-2011, 11:13 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
the team doesnt miss him and neither do I
It could use him, certainly. But this team is not winning or losing without him. When you can say that about one of your best regular season performers it really hits to the core of why moving a position of strength to fill a need in net is priority one during the offseason at this point.

Closed Thread