HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The good news: we have won 2 games in Boston

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-22-2011, 11:57 AM
  #476
holyhabs87
Registered User
 
holyhabs87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,799
vCash: 2009
Hey, at least we are not wasting our years as Stanley Cup contenders by choking every year. That would leave me more upset. Take this lineup and add Markov, Gorges and Pacioretty and I can't help but think we have a very food future ahead of us. I wouldn't be shocked if we won our division next year.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 12:10 PM
  #477
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
I'll say this right now: whichever team comes out of this series won't win another round. Neither is playing consistently well in 60 minutes. Montreal is showing a serious lack of killer instinct and tendency to go into "We got it in the bag" mode, while Boston keeps digging themselves into holes and their goaltending has not been good.
I'm actually beginning to believe that this team simply can't play without it's underdog tagline. It seems every time the Habs get "favourite" status they get the ball in their court and they just ultimately fumble it every time. They have to have the little guy mentality to survive.

Just look back against Philly last year, it was really a toss up as to which team was the favourite but a lot of people pegged Mtl because of how Halak/Cammy/Gio/Subban we're playing and the fact we knocked off the best team in the league and the defending champs. Now in this series we start off as underdogs, relish in that role and come home with a 2-0 series lead. All we have to do is win 2 more games in 5, 3 of which are on home ice. We choke it and now we have to win 2 of 3 with 2 games being in Boston. It's almost as though the second there is expectations put on this team, they cannot live up to them.

Theoreticly, Boston has home ice advantage and momentum and should win this series now. This is *undisputable*. The only thing I can cling to in this situation is that we are underdogs again, which is where the Habs seem to play their best and most desperate hockey.


Last edited by JGRB: 04-22-2011 at 12:21 PM.
JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 12:13 PM
  #478
habs1988
Registered User
 
habs1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: I don't know
Posts: 2,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
Hey, at least we are not wasting our years as Stanley Cup contenders by choking every year. That would leave me more upset. Take this lineup and add Markov, Gorges and Pacioretty and I can't help but think we have a very food future ahead of us. I wouldn't be shocked if we won our division next year.
This. I think the same. Last year, we had only Gorges and it makes a BIG difference in defense.

I like what Sopel brings, but he is very slow. Gorges is the same but faster. Add a guy like Markov on our PP, and MaxPac in front of the net.

I just can't wait for guys like Leblanc or Kristo because they are the kind of players that show up in the playoffs.

IMO, in 4-5 years, we will be contenders. Mature Price and Subban, Eller will be better, Gorges at his peak, Tinordi possibly as our best defensive d-man...yeah yeah, I'm dreaming haha

habs1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:06 PM
  #479
sampollock
Registered User
 
sampollock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: in my home
Posts: 6,985
vCash: 500
just very disspointed , sigh

but what can you do, a 3 on 1 in OT, not good

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:22 PM
  #480
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
Hey, at least we are not wasting our years as Stanley Cup contenders by choking every year. That would leave me more upset. Take this lineup and add Markov, Gorges and Pacioretty and I can't help but think we have a very food future ahead of us. I wouldn't be shocked if we won our division next year.
But they won't go anywhere in the playoffs.

The defence is just too slow. I want to see big changes. So you have guys that can block shots, great. Boston knows all they have to do is chip the puck in so Price can't get to it and they will beat any defenceman not named Subban to that puck first. That's a recipe for disaster. I don't think Markov and Gorges help with that either. Sure Markov is great with the puck on his stick, but he looked real slow in his return and I can just imagine what he looks like after another injury. Gorges isn't fast, but at least he's quicker than those bums Hamrlik and Spacek.

I really want to see a deal in the offseason for a guy like Bouwmeester (Calgary is going nowhere), or sign a guy like Ehrhoff or Pitkanen. They need guys that can get to those pucks first.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:36 PM
  #481
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,334
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
But they won't go anywhere in the playoffs.

The defence is just too slow. I want to see big changes. So you have guys that can block shots, great. Boston knows all they have to do is chip the puck in so Price can't get to it and they will beat any defenceman not named Subban to that puck first. That's a recipe for disaster. I don't think Markov and Gorges help with that either. Sure Markov is great with the puck on his stick, but he looked real slow in his return and I can just imagine what he looks like after another injury. Gorges isn't fast, but at least he's quicker than those bums Hamrlik and Spacek.

I really want to see a deal in the offseason for a guy like Bouwmeester (Calgary is going nowhere), or sign a guy like Ehrhoff or Pitkanen. They need guys that can get to those pucks first.
Markov-Gorges
Subban-Gill
Pitkanen/Ehrhoff-Sopel

Good enough for me.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 02:00 PM
  #482
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,294
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
But they won't go anywhere in the playoffs.

The defence is just too slow. I want to see big changes. So you have guys that can block shots, great. Boston knows all they have to do is chip the puck in so Price can't get to it and they will beat any defenceman not named Subban to that puck first. That's a recipe for disaster. I don't think Markov and Gorges help with that either. Sure Markov is great with the puck on his stick, but he looked real slow in his return and I can just imagine what he looks like after another injury. Gorges isn't fast, but at least he's quicker than those bums Hamrlik and Spacek.

I really want to see a deal in the offseason for a guy like Bouwmeester (Calgary is going nowhere), or sign a guy like Ehrhoff or Pitkanen. They need guys that can get to those pucks first.
I wouldn't touch Bouwmeester with a 20 foot pole.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 02:08 PM
  #483
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
I wouldn't touch Bouwmeester with a 20 foot pole.
Sure his offence has taken a hit since going to Calgary, but a 6'4 defenceman that is one of the best skaters in the NHL and has missed 0 games in the last 6 seasons is definitely a want for me. He addresses the two biggest concerns with this team: speed and durability on the backend. High cap hit, but you get a guy that keeps the flow of the game going. I doubt the price is high either, seeing as how the Flames like Giordano and Regehr the most.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 02:11 PM
  #484
Andros777
Registered User
 
Andros777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Sure his offence has taken a hit since going to Calgary, but a 6'4 defenceman that is one of the best skaters in the NHL and has missed 0 games in the last 6 seasons is definitely a want for me. He addresses the two biggest concerns with this team: speed and durability on the backend. High cap hit, but you get a guy that keeps the flow of the game going. I doubt the price is high either, seeing as how the Flames like Giordano and Regehr the most.
I would also take Bouwmeester. He's a guaranteed rock on the back end who literally has no weaknesses to his game, except his offense isn't the best.

I mean geez look what we've been giving Spacek and Hamrlik! And they just plain suck. Bouwmeester is a guy who you could stick on a star player.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 02:30 PM
  #485
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,294
vCash: 50
Bouwmeester is still living off his rep from junior. He's basically Calgary's Gomez at this point, elite money for less than elite results.

I won't say most because I can't prove it, but judging from fan message boards, a good portion of Flames fans have completely soured on him.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=103718

About the best praise he's getting there is that he wouldn't be so bad if he was used better.

Not to mention the less concrete knocks on him, such as the belief that he can't handle the pressure in Calgary, that he doesn't show up when it counts the most, and the obvious glaring hole on his resume (having never played a single playoff game).

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 02:34 PM
  #486
Seb
Unregistered User
 
Seb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Ireland
Posts: 6,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Seb
Habs on the road : 1 goal against
Habs at home : 9 goals against


Seb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 02:34 PM
  #487
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jack Bourdain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,113
vCash: 500
**** that ****. Listen to Calgary fans, Bouwmeester has no heart. I rather Gomez for a few more years that JBO for the rest of my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
Habs on the road : 1 goal against
Habs at home : 9 goals against

Gotta play le trap. I was so happy they scored first in Game 4. Except they didn't trap after.

You get a 3-1 lead? SHUT. IT. DOWN.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 02:37 PM
  #488
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
just very disspointed , sigh

but what can you do, a 3 on 1 in OT, not good
Move Moen down to the 3rd or 4th line and cut his TOI from 18 minutes to around 9.

That would be a great start.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 02:53 PM
  #489
swimmer77
What's an ROW?
 
swimmer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: in water
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Sure his offence has taken a hit since going to Calgary, but a 6'4 defenceman that is one of the best skaters in the NHL and has missed 0 games in the last 6 seasons is definitely a want for me. He addresses the two biggest concerns with this team: speed and durability on the backend. High cap hit, but you get a guy that keeps the flow of the game going. I doubt the price is high either, seeing as how the Flames like Giordano and Regehr the most.
No thanks to Bouwmeester. If he can't stand the pressure in Calgary he'd crumble in Montreal. He's never played an NHL playoff game has he?

He's at least young and could improve but this year the only "number" he beat Hamrlik at is salary. Hamrlik had more points, better + / -, and more blocked shots. Not saying the Habs should keep Hammer either but others bring up his name likes he's done nothing close to Bouwmeester.

Bouwmeester it just seems, with all of that TOI, doesn't have much to show for it. And right now he's golfing - seems like he always is this time of year.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 03:11 PM
  #490
Rutabaga
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Middle of Nowhere
Country: France
Posts: 979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Move Moen down to the 3rd or 4th line and cut his TOI from 18 minutes to around 9.

That would be a great start.
And who is going to play these 9 mins, especially considering that these 9 minutes are against a very solid, if not the best opposition possible ?

And Bouwmeester ?
Come on, Bouwmeester ? Did you actually watch the games on a regular basis to throw that name for being a good solution for your D ?

If he is not the go-to-guy, he could be a good addition, but at 6.7M$, you're shooting your own foot.

Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 03:13 PM
  #491
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Markov-Gorges
Subban-Gill
Pitkanen/Ehrhoff-Sopel

Good enough for me.
I think we're better off re-signing Wisniewski than trying to get Ehrhoff or Pitkanen. Ehrhoff will probably never hit the UFA market, and if he did we'd have to throw Redden money at him(overpayment), Pitkanen is slightly better than Wiz defensively but not as good offensively...plus there is no guarntee he is available to us or taht we could sign him for the same price.

IMHO the best way to cheaply add a younger d-man with size is Yemelin.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 03:14 PM
  #492
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
Bouwmeester is still living off his rep from junior. He's basically Calgary's Gomez at this point, elite money for less than elite results.

I won't say most because I can't prove it, but judging from fan message boards, a good portion of Flames fans have completely soured on him.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=103718

About the best praise he's getting there is that he wouldn't be so bad if he was used better.

Not to mention the less concrete knocks on him, such as the belief that he can't handle the pressure in Calgary, that he doesn't show up when it counts the most, and the obvious glaring hole on his resume (having never played a single playoff game).
He's an above average d-man getting paid like an all-star...I'm not saying I wouldn't touch him, but I wouldn't pay the price it would cost to bring him over.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 03:39 PM
  #493
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,878
vCash: 500
The Habs have really squandered such a promising start to this series. They absolutely need to win game 5 just to shut up my friends that are Bruin fans.. Listening to the crap coming from them right now is truly nauseating after they were so very quiet after games 1 and 2.. Some of them just take this **** way to seriously..

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 04:02 PM
  #494
googlymoogly
Registered User
 
googlymoogly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
I'll say this right now: whichever team comes out of this series won't win another round. Neither is playing consistently well in 60 minutes. Montreal is showing a serious lack of killer instinct and tendency to go into "We got it in the bag" mode, while Boston keeps digging themselves into holes and their goaltending has not been good.
Yes but knocking off Boston would be sweet. After that I don't care we already knew this team was hurting with the talent were missing (Markov, Gorges, Pacioretty)

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 06:01 PM
  #495
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
Bouwmeester is still living off his rep from junior. He's basically Calgary's Gomez at this point, elite money for less than elite results.

I won't say most because I can't prove it, but judging from fan message boards, a good portion of Flames fans have completely soured on him.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=103718

About the best praise he's getting there is that he wouldn't be so bad if he was used better.

Not to mention the less concrete knocks on him, such as the belief that he can't handle the pressure in Calgary, that he doesn't show up when it counts the most, and the obvious glaring hole on his resume (having never played a single playoff game).
But in my mind it would be to turn him into a top shutdown defenceman in the league, which he is capable of with his speed and size. I think he had no pressure in Florida, so he could focus and get points, but in Calgary he was expected and asked to do too much.

It was just a thought. I know he's not the best defenceman, but considering the probable asking price for him, I would take a chance. Ehrhoff and Pitkanen will probably stay on their respective teams. Jan Hejda might be an option, I don't know how well he skates though. I don't see many other defencemen available via free agency and/or trade.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 06:35 PM
  #496
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
I have forgotten about the home stand. Tomorrow a new 3 game series begins, lets hope the Habs go for the 2 game sweep!

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.