HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Terry Murray Ready To Use Kopitar As An Excuse?

Old
04-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Terry Murray Ready To Use Kopitar As An Excuse?

Quote:
I read with somewhat surprise the following quote from Terry Murray. Murrayís answer was in response to the question whether he intended to make any personnel changes going into Game 5 that might help turn things around.

Terry Murrayís response was:

ďIím playing what Iíve got. Kopitar is not coming back, guys. Heís got a broken leg. So you play with what youíve got. I can make some combination changes, maybe. Personnel-wise, I have Oscar Moller sitting there, sitting on the sideline. He would love to play. Youíve got (Davis) Drewiske and Peter Harrold. I take that into consideration. Oscar Moller played very good up there in Game 2, so Iíll think about that one.Ē

Q: Are you going to make any changes?

A: I am playing what Iíve got. Kopitar is not coming back. Heís got a broken leg. So you play with what you got.

Responsive to the question? No.

Taking a question defensively and giving an excuse? Very much so.
Click on the link for more.

http://lakingsnews.com/2011/04/22/la...-to-questions/

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:32 PM
null33

Be nice to hear the actual question -- maybe the reporter opened up with a reference to Kopitar.

That said, the Murray hate is ... an interesting phenomenon. Somebody should pay for for the people's suffering. Where's the nearest volcano?

null33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:37 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

I really couldn't care less what Murray has to say about anything.

Some fans obsess over his every word and action or inaction. It's a waste of energy. Focus on the on-ice results.

The more interesting question is "Is Dean Lombardi ready to Use Kopitar as an excuse?", because that is THE question for Dean that he's going to have to answer. The roster will be stacked. It's not players. It's the power play and it's continuing mental lapses that need to be addressed.

I don't hate the guy. He's obviously trying what he believes is best and he's had success for long stretches this season and throughout his career. He's also had 2 consecutive playoffs where he's failed miserably (if he pulls out a miracle winning the next 3, he has a job next year, no questions asked).

The question as to whether or not it's good enough to give him one more season is Dean's to answer.

Last edited by TonySCV: 04-22-2011 at 01:48 PM.
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:40 PM
Duc620

Haters gonna hate....

Terry Murray doesn't need or use excuses.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:41 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
Haters gonna hate....

Ok Terry

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 02:40 PM
no name

Kopitar is not much of an excuse. Sure, he's a big piece missing but the Kings are scoring at least 3 goals a game. The defesive system is not working in this series and has not worked in the playoffs the last two years. I've been a strong supporter of Murray but I just don't think he's the guy that will get the Kings where they need to be.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 03:43 PM
SLang

As an excuse for what? We have, what, 14 goals in this series? So no need to use Kopitar as an excuse for a lack of offense. Is it really going to get so ass-backwards that people might use Kopitar as an excuse for a lack of defense, since he's so good defensively?

That would be a neat trick.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 03:51 PM
Defgarden

You know, if the Kings were playing tight games, and losing 3-2 in OT (like the first game), I don't think anyone would really be concerned about TM. But, you give up 12 goals in 2 games, that's the issue. It's been silly.

Everyone knows the Kings are better with Kopitar, but it's not an excuse for what we've been seeing.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 04:12 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post
You know, if the Kings were playing tight games, and losing 3-2 in OT (like the first game), I don't think anyone would really be concerned about TM. But, you give up 12 goals in 2 games, that's the issue. It's been silly.

Everyone knows the Kings are better with Kopitar, but it's not an excuse for what we've been seeing.
That's an improvement over last season when they gave up 13 goals in 2 games.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 04:13 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Haters gonna hate....

When your defensive minded system and structure has its ass handed to it at the most critical time of the season, when it needs to perform its best and after 3 years of attempting to instill it in your "core" players, you bet YOUR ass he needs an excuse and by his own statement, he is implying Kopitar is that excuse. If Murray doesn't bring defensive acumen to the team and EVERYONE agrees that we are not a team built for offense, what possible damn purpose does he serve? What does he do? What was the point if it fails at the most critical time?

Old
04-22-2011, 04:18 PM
ShattStar03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
When your defensive minded system and structure has its ass handed to it at the most critical time of the season, when it needs to perform its best and after 3 years of attempting to instill it in your "core" players, you bet YOUR ass he needs an excuse and by his own statement, he is implying Kopitar is that excuse. If Murray doesn't bring defensive acumen to the team and EVERYONE agrees that we are not a team built for offense, what possible damn purpose does he serve? What does he do? What was the point if it fails at the most critical time?
I don't see an excuse in that statement, I think Murray is just pointing out the reality of the situation. Many of us are looking for a savior or a single adjustment that's going to win over this series.

Well as the old saying goes "You can't make chicken soup out of chicken ****".

ShattStar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 04:24 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Come on Zad, the Kings gave up 13 goals in 2 games against Vancouver at the most critial time of the season last year. The Kings only gave up 12 goals in 2 games this series.

That's an improvement! And they did it without Kopitar!!

Kings in 7!!

Old
04-22-2011, 04:38 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

... Terry Murray is really a beauty.

Terry: "Personnel-wise, I have Oscar Moller sitting there, sitting on the sideline. He would love to play. Youíve got (Davis) Drewiske and Peter Harrold. I take that into consideration. Oscar Moller played very good up there in Game 2, so Iíll think about that one."

Media: "So will you make any changes for game 5?"

Terry: "Nope."

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 04:44 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShattStar03 View Post
I don't see an excuse in that statement, I think Murray is just pointing out the reality of the situation. Many of us are looking for a savior or a single adjustment that's going to win over this series.

Well as the old saying goes "You can't make chicken soup out of chicken ****".
The team is chicken **** now? Jesus. I have no words for that.

Old
04-22-2011, 04:48 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Haters gonna hate....

Ok, I'll play.

Reporter: Terry, when the players don't execute the system is that something you can or can not control?

Terry: (paraphrasing) I had TV timeouts, The players just werent listening.

(no the question above wasnt asked, but it should have been. Frankly Im sick of his tired act)

you see, no one asked him if he was going to put Koipitar back in the lineup. Everyone knows Anze is Out. So to mention it is to try to deflect from the fact that TM's on-ice decisions (line changes, ice-time and combinations) are lacking.

Im sure, when its all said and done (hopefully after game 7) and when DL comes out and defends TM and says he coached a great series, you'll be parroting that as proof that TM is a genius, and I, too, believe he is, just like that other Super genius: Wiley Coyote!

Quote:
When the whole dam breaks, duct tape and baling wire aint gonna help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Come on Zad, the Kings gave up 13 goals in 2 games against Vancouver at the most critial time of the season last year. The Kings only gave up 12 goals in 2 games this series.

That's an improvement! And they did it without Kopitar!!

Kings in 7!!
Now we're talking!

Go KINGS GO!!!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 04:54 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Now we're talking!

Go KINGS GO!!!
It's ****ing Friday! Friday! Gotta get down on Friday!

Old
04-22-2011, 04:59 PM
Scrivezina
AMart Jazz Hands!!!

I would have loved to heard a recording and the context of this interview. If he's making this out as an excuse for the whole team not playing better he should be given his pink slip. One person does not make a team.

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Terry Murray is really a beauty.

Terry: "Personnel-wise, I have Oscar Moller sitting there, sitting on the sideline. He would love to play. Youíve got (Davis) Drewiske and Peter Harrold. I take that into consideration. Oscar Moller played very good up there in Game 2, so Iíll think about that one."

Media: "So will you make any changes for game 5?"

Terry: "Nope."
Perfect snippet.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 09:59 PM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

I don't have time to go into the details of what went on last night during Murray's press conference, but I can tell you, since I was sitting right in front of him at the time, he was NOT using Kopitar as an excuse for anything.

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:03 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenRoyalty View Post
I don't have time to go into the details of what went on last night during Murray's press conference, but I can tell you, since I was sitting right in front of him at the time, he was NOT using Kopitar as an excuse for anything.
Doesn't matter if he was or not, he brought up his name, so haters are going to twist that to make it look like he's using it as an excuse.

Hell, he could mention Gretzky and they would twist that saying he can't win because they don't have Gretzky ffs.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:03 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenRoyalty View Post
That is an opinion. What we would like to know is simple - did the question ask about Kopitar?

Old
04-22-2011, 10:14 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Kopitar is not much of an excuse. Sure, he's a big piece missing but the Kings are scoring at least 3 goals a game. The defesive system is not working in this series and has not worked in the playoffs the last two years. I've been a strong supporter of Murray but I just don't think he's the guy that will get the Kings where they need to be.
I'm not defending Terry Murray, but Kopitar kinda plays a little D too.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:17 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
As an excuse for what? We have, what, 14 goals in this series? So no need to use Kopitar as an excuse for a lack of offense. Is it really going to get so ass-backwards that people might use Kopitar as an excuse for a lack of defense, since he's so good defensively?

That would be a neat trick.
No you're right, it's totally a coincidence that our 6 foot 3 center that plays about 1/3 of every game is out and we're getting scored on practically at will. Kopitar might as well just stand at the offensive blueline all game long and wait for home runs since he does nothing in the defensive zone.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:59 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
The team is chicken **** now? Jesus. I have no words for that.
I agree

We lose one player granted our top center but still one player and now we are chicken poop? Well chicken poop to that entire line of thinking.

Great or even good coaches constantly manage to get significantly more out of what they have then they ought to and the rest blame everyone but themselves.

Our current coach is TM

He is going to do what he thinks is best for the team

I am going to support him until the end of the playoffs.

I am a bit shaken at TM's continuing habit of pointing the finger of blame at everyone from the fans to his "choking" goalies to the absence of one key player etc but never, not once not ever pointing the finger of blame at himself or his system but, until he isn't our coach he is our coach and that is that.

Same goes for every player on the ice. We are all in this together until we either lift the cup or are eliminated and that is that too.

I believe that we can beat the Sharks and I believe that this team as it stands today can be world beaters, it's up to them.

I believe we can win is what is most important to me.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 11:02 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
I'm not defending Terry Murray, but Kopitar kinda plays a little D too.
Which one of the 12 goals would he have prevented? I kid, I kid, you know I love you man