HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers to offer Gilroy an extension

Old
04-21-2011, 11:33 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Well, I would agree with this assessment, but Glen Sather is our GM. It can be hard to take his "professional opinion" seriously, at times.
Glen Sather may have signed him (and there were other clubs trying to sign him too), but Torts has chosen to play him for the better part of two seasons--I don't think that has anything to do with Sather.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:05 AM
Rangers44*

Who would you want as your 7th defenseman: Gilroy or Valentenko(or Pashnin)?

I am guessing there is no way Eminger wants to re-sign with us after the treatment he received in the 2nd half.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:07 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post

I am guessing there is no way Eminger wants to re-sign with us after the treatment he received in the 2nd half.
They won't use a kid like Valentenko or Pashnin as a 7th D man. And Eminger's pretty much gone which is a shame because I liked the way he played for us. Just seemed to fall out of Torts' good graces for whatever reason.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:13 AM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
They won't use a kid like Valentenko or Pashnin as a 7th D man. And Eminger's pretty much gone which is a shame because I liked the way he played for us. Just seemed to fall out of Torts' good graces for whatever reason.
That might be their only shot to get into NHL to start as a 7th defenseman. Would most likely be much cheaper than Gilroy and a hell of a lot more physical. Valentenko will be 24, so he isn't too young, and we won't hurt his development much by using him as a 7th defenseman.

Last edited by Rangers44*: 04-22-2011 at 01:24 AM.
Old
04-22-2011, 01:25 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
That might be their only shot to get into NHL to start as a 7th defenseman. Would most likely be much cheaper than Gilroy and a hell of a lot more physical.
I'd say it's pretty unlikely they would carry either of those players as a 7th defenseman because they would see such little playing time in that roll. I'd say their shot into the NHL is earning a roster spot in training camp or during an injury call-up the way you've seen Sauer and McDonagh do... No need to start off as a 7th if you've got the goods to play on a regular pairing.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:30 AM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I'd say it's pretty unlikely they would carry either of those players as a 7th defenseman because they would see such little playing time in that roll. I'd say their shot into the NHL is earning a roster spot in training camp or during an injury call-up the way you've seen Sauer and McDonagh do... No need to start off as a 7th if you've got the goods to play on a regular pairing.

Little playing time? look at Gilroy's season, he got plenty of playing time this season. There will be injuries, healthy scratches, maybe suspensions. Pashnin as a 7th defenseman would play more games than he usually plays in KHL.

Old
04-22-2011, 06:02 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

If Gilroy had made the blatant blunder the McD made from behind the net in this series, he would be tarred and feathered, and the server that hosts HF would have exploded.

04-22-2011, 08:54 AM
Vitto79

Quote:

Eminger has been a huge dissapointment in his overall career. The guy should take whatever he can get to keep him in the NHL

I rather see Eminger back as the 7th but I would guess it is Gilroy for under a million

We are going to see Gilroy as a spare F next yr as well

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 11:51 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Pashnin is in the KHL. Why are we talking about him? Pretty sure he signed his contract over there when he realized a spot on the NHL roster wasn't a guarantee.

Why would a guy who wouldn't play in the AHL leave the KHL to come here and sit in the press box as a 7th defenseman assuming he even comes here for camp and earns his way onto the NHL roster.

They're not going to use a kid as the 7th defenseman when that kid could be playing in the AHL.

If Gilroy is cheap enough there is no reason not to sign him.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 11:58 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Just pair him with a responsible partner. And let him play his game.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Just pair him with a responsible partner. And let him play his game.
He was +10 when playing with Michael Sauer...

Mio41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 12:23 PM
Ke11y96

IF he's signed he won't be used as a 7th Torts barely carries extra forwards or defensemen as it is during the season..McDonagh solidifying himself and grabbing McCabe made this choice of Eminger vs Gilroy as 6th or 7th dmen.

I think this off season we stay away from any of the offensive dmen out there, Gilroy has proven to play either side, but the real trick here is what does Del Zotto become? Because he only plays the left side.. Does he get another year in the minors? Is he traded?? Or does he snag a spot on the top 6??

Staal - Girardi
McDonagh - Sauer
Del Zotto - Gilroy??(this duo was awful when paired together, could flip him and Sauer but why ruin a good thing with McD and Sauer..)

With no Del Zotto you could put Valentenko in his spot or sign a cheap 1 year deal on a veteran..Or even crazier Gilroy to the Left side and you put a stay at home rookie in McIlrath on his right side..Or Del Zotto paired with McIlrath..Two rookies in McD and Sauer worked out pretty well..

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 12:37 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke11y96 View Post
With no Del Zotto you could put Valentenko in his spot or sign a cheap 1 year deal on a veteran..Or even crazier Gilroy to the Left side and you put a stay at home rookie in McIlrath on his right side..Or Del Zotto paired with McIlrath..Two rookies in McD and Sauer worked out pretty well..
McD and Sauer worked out pretty well b/c they were...McD and Sauer, not because they were 2 rookies. We can't use that as precedent to say it will work out for completely different players.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:06 PM
Ke11y96

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
McD and Sauer worked out pretty well b/c they were...McD and Sauer, not because they were 2 rookies. We can't use that as precedent to say it will work out for completely different players.
Understandably so what I meant is that I don't see the organization afraid to try two more rookies on the backend if hopes they too preform like McD and Sauer...and not full rookies sense Del Zotto would be cruising in on year 3 pretty much but still..

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:19 PM
LetsGoBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Pashnin is in the KHL. Why are we talking about him?
It SHOCKS me that people continue to talk about this guy making an impact. One good training camp is all it takes to become the shiny new toy? The guy has 9 pts in 2 KHL seasons (88 games). We have much better options in the pipeline.

LetsGoBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Section 409
FANATIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
If Gilroy had made the blatant blunder the McD made from behind the net in this series, he would be tarred and feathered, and the server that hosts HF would have exploded.
Absolutely true.

I don't get the Gilroy hate, at least for the playoffs. He's actually played well this series, bringing him back for depth purposes is not the worst thing in the world.

Section 409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 03:59 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:

My guess would be that the feeling is absolutely mutual regarding Eminger. He was very inconstant playing regularly and hasn't shown the ability to be ready, come into a tough situation and step up his game after sitting out a bunch of games either.

I also seriously doubt that Gilroy--much less a rookie defenseman--will be the 7th defenseman next year.

Old
04-22-2011, 04:12 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

How did the Rangers mistreat Eminger? The Rangers are Eminger's 6th team in 2 plus years. He was a Cap in 07-08. Flyers. TB. Florida. Anaheim. Rangers. He should consider himself fortunate if he receives anything close to his current salary of $1.5M as a free agent this summer. Sather made a good trade picking up Eminger but lets not get crazy here.

Last edited by RangerBoy: 04-22-2011 at 04:27 PM.
RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 04:27 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Valentenko needs to clear waivers to play in the AHL next season. He'll be a group II this summer. Rangers usually like to re-sign their minor league group II's for the AHL minimum in return for a higher AHL salary. Valentenko's QO is $550,000. NHL minimum next season is $525,000. Something like $525,000/$75,000 for Valentenko. He made $62,500 AHL this season.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 07:01 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBlueshirts View Post
It SHOCKS me that people continue to talk about this guy making an impact. One good training camp is all it takes to become the shiny new toy? The guy has 9 pts in 2 KHL seasons (88 games). We have much better options in the pipeline.
So then why would anybody be upset with him being 7th defenseman? Oh and btw who cares how many points he put up, I just want my defensemen to be able to defend well.

Old
04-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
My guess would be that the feeling is absolutely mutual regarding Eminger. He was very inconstant playing regularly and hasn't shown the ability to be ready, come into a tough situation and step up his game after sitting out a bunch of games either.

I also seriously doubt that Gilroy--much less a rookie defenseman--will be the 7th defenseman next year.
Gilroy was very consistent right? And you think he should be 5th or 6th defenseman?

Old
04-22-2011, 07:06 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Valentenko needs to clear waivers to play in the AHL next season. He'll be a group II this summer. Rangers usually like to re-sign their minor league group II's for the AHL minimum in return for a higher AHL salary. Valentenko's QO is $550,000. NHL minimum next season is $525,000. Something like $525,000/$75,000 for Valentenko. He made $62,500 AHL this season.
I bet Valentenko leaves for KHL if he doesn't make the team, so we really have nothing to lose and everything to gain by using him as a 7th defenseman.

Old
04-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
I bet Valentenko leaves for KHL if he doesn't make the team, so we really have nothing to lose and everything to gain by using him as a 7th defenseman.
I am sure that he would consider that, i think he would be a solid 7th and maybe work his way in to the line up. I like him and hope he can make the team next year

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 01:28 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Gilroy was very consistent right? And you think he should be 5th or 6th defenseman?
I think the coaching staff has more confidence in Gilroy than you do. And that's really all that matters. If Gilroy is re-signed and makes the team out of camp, it's most likely he will play in most of the games next year.

Old
04-23-2011, 01:52 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
If Gilroy is re-signed and makes the team out of camp, it's most likely he will play in most of the games next year.
The way he's playing offensively right now in the playoffs is the way he needs to play his game during the regular season... He's not strong enough in the defensive zone to warrant being in the line-up if he's not contributing in the other two zones. Whether or not he'll see a lot of games next season is going to depend not only on how he's performing but also on what the other guys vying for those spots are doing... Gilroy gets passed pretty quickly on the depth chart if MDZ is bringing his A-Game or if players like Valentenko come up and plays strong defensively and adds that physical element that Tortorella loves... Kundratek might even be in the mix in camp I really don't know... I just think Gilroy has more to prove before he solidifies a regular spot in our line-up....

Last edited by wolfgaze: 04-23-2011 at 01:59 AM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote