HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Did we just win a playoff series "without" Lidstrom?

Old
04-22-2011, 03:55 PM
detredWINgs

vCash: 500
Did we just win a playoff series "without" Lidstrom?

We've discussed the prospect of being out with Lidstrom ad nauseum. We all know it will happen. We all know there's no one that can come in and fill this guys shoes.

That said, did we just witness a playoff series in which we didn't have Nick Lidstrom as we've always known him to be?

1. Only Salei had less ice time per game than Lidstrom - He averaged just 19:34 per game.
2. Only Rafalski had less SHTOI per game than Lidstrom - He averaged just 19 second per game on the PK.
3. Despite getting the 2nd most amount of time on the PP, he took just 6 shots - Tied for 12th on the team.
4. He had 0 giveaways, but so did 9 other guys on the team, including Salei. Kronwall had 1.
5. He had 0 goals, and just 2 assists.

Obviously, he's still a great defenseman, and Phoenix certainly didn't give us much trouble, but, taken with a grain of salt, this could be a sign that we may not need to go out an find another franchise defenseman to "replace" Lidstrom once he's gone...

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 04:02 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

We just won a playoff series without relying too much on Lidstrom. But he was still one of our most important PP QB's and he was still decent defensively in the first two games. He made some good plays to keep Doan quiet too.

We're just using Lidstrom less. That's good.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 04:04 PM
hyduK

Na. Phoenix just isn't that tough offensively. Made sense to keep his icetime low (especially once we had the 2-0 lead in the series) and save his energy for later. He'll play more minutes once we face a team like Vancouver, or SJ.

I see where you're coming from though, but I don't and never have expected Detroit to fall from an elite level once Lidstrom retires.

hyduK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 04:24 PM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyduK View Post
Na. Phoenix just isn't that tough offensively. Made sense to keep his icetime low (especially once we had the 2-0 lead in the series) and save his energy for later. He'll play more minutes once we face a team like Vancouver, or SJ.

I see where you're coming from though, but I don't and never have expected Detroit to fall from an elite level once Lidstrom retires.
+1.
I hope Lidstrom is not injured and I hope Babcock was just resting him for next round.

14ari13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 05:01 PM
Datsyuk2Zetterberg

less now hopefully means more later

Datsyuk2Zetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 05:15 PM
DetBigWangs

We'll be worse without Lidstrom, but not much worse. Before we write off Phoenix, they still earned their way into the postseason. The rest of our D-corp isn't as bad as our imagination indicates (their only problem is that they're all being compared to Lidstrom).

DetBigWangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 05:37 PM
Licklas Nidstrom

I'm inclined to think it was just Babcock making sure he stays fresh. Without the 'Yotes giving us much trouble, there was no real reason to play him for 22 minutes a night. He's not as effective as he used to be, but he will certainly be used more against whichever team we face next round (Until we get a 2-0 lead in the series, only allowing 3 total goals, of course).

Licklas Nidstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 05:48 PM
Darkhawk07

Everyone said the same thing would happen once Yzerman left. Lost both him and Shanahan in the same year and the Wings still did pretty good. They were a little worse off without them but still ended up winning a cup just a couple years later.

A really strong all around defenseman like Lidstrom will be a little harder to replace than a center or winger, but I'm sure they can make do without him. Won't ever find anyone better than him again, but they will find someone to step up and fill that void adequately enough.

Darkhawk07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Flowah

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyduK View Post

This is the answer. Phoenix isn't that big on scoring goals. Doan had what, like 60 points the whole season and he was their leading scorer?

Phoenix relied on their defense and Bryz playing out of his mind during the regular season to make it this far. Obviously the Wings had no problem solving Bryz, so what's left? All you have to do is limit the Coyotes pretty impotent offense and you win. And yeah, when we go up by 2-3 goals, we don't need to burn Lidstrom out, we can save him for the next round where we might face a team that can actually generate sustained offensive pressure.

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 06:53 PM
Harnessed in Slums

First off we completely dominated a playoff series sweep so it wasn't just a win.

Now we won that series handily with little effort from Lidstrom.
We didn't have Z at all.
Oh and Mule sat out a game.
And did you know 13 different guys scored goals?

There is a whole lot you can read into all that, but sticking with Lidstrom my guess is they are going to do the same thing they did with Cheli, ie reduce his role as much as necessary and only really lean upon him heavily when it is required. It's a smart move, the playoffs are a meat grinder so the solid depth and the ability to keep guys fresh will be vital if the DRW are to make a long playoff run.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 07:11 PM
nik jr

more or less

i don't think it would have made much difference if lidstrom had been replaced by an average d-man. his role was probably smaller than in any series in his career.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote