HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

WCQF: (1) Vancouver Canucks vs (8) Chicago Blackhawks Part IV ‎

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2011, 04:35 PM
The Protein Shake*
I'm Hungry.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
this series is going to game 7, but sorry hawks fans, Canucks will find some way to win game 7, i have no doubt.
Im confident that the Canucks will win on Sunday. If they dont win and we come back to Vancouver for a game 7, The Canucks wont win.

Game 6 = Vancouver Win
Game 7 = Chicago Win (If Chi wins game 6 somehow)

Old
04-22-2011, 04:37 PM
Patchey*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
The are the best team in the . Luongo is playing lights out this series and everyone needs to take a chill pill. Seriously guys, Losing 7-2 and 5-0 in the playoffs is not a big deal. I mean, the best teams need adversity dont they? =D
A little adversity never hurts, but this is just an embarrassment. If this team had any pride they wouldn't rolled over at home after losing 7-2.

Old
04-22-2011, 04:38 PM
jimmythescot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens91 View Post
I honestly feel for you Canuck fans if the Hawks do end up coming back (even though the Canucks still have a fantastic opportunity and likelihood of winning it). Having been through the same disappointments year after year with the Senators in the 2000s. Just when you think it might be your team's year and that they have changed, they prove to you that they really haven't. Not trying to troll here at all so I apologize if I offend any Canuck fans, but I just think that it all starts with the leadership on the team. The Sedins, although still effective playoff players are more of regular season players. They put up a ton of points, and are tremendously skilled, but they don't have the grit and two way game that alot of the cup champion leaders have. As much as I want the Hawks to win, I really do feel for you guys if things go south, especially after such an unbelievable regular season.
I really don't know what's wrong with the Sedins in the last couple of games. They're trying to do the tippy tappy stuff behind the net that serves them so well, but they're doing it when there is at least one Hawk between the two of them. Usually they'd just send it up to the point, or they'd look for Burrows, but they're trying to force it.

Old
04-22-2011, 04:39 PM
HeadLikeAnOrange*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens91 View Post
I honestly feel for you Canuck fans if the Hawks do end up coming back (even though the Canucks still have a fantastic opportunity and likelihood of winning it). Having been through the same disappointments year after year with the Senators in the 2000s. Just when you think it might be your team's year and that they have changed, they prove to you that they really haven't. Not trying to troll here at all so I apologize if I offend any Canuck fans, but I just think that it all starts with the leadership on the team. The Sedins, although still effective playoff players are more of regular season players. They put up a ton of points, and are tremendously skilled, but they don't have the grit and two way game that alot of the cup champion leaders have. As much as I want the Hawks to win, I really do feel for you guys if things go south, especially after such an unbelievable regular season.
Assuming the Sedins just won back-to-back Hart & Art Ross Trophies any defensive shortcomings (and there aren't many) are surely to be forgiven.

Old
04-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Crows*

Here's an idea. Put guys in front and shoot 70 shots at net.

Old
04-22-2011, 04:41 PM
HeadLikeAnOrange*

Should probably save it for the Canuck board but some of the Chicken Little's are clogging up this thread now...

Save the autopsy for AFTER the death.

We'll have enough time to go over it all then, trust me.

Old
04-22-2011, 04:50 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

I said prior to the series that the only way Vancouver could possibly lose this series was if the Chicago Blackhawks were in Roberto Luongo's head. Through the first three games, it certainly seemed like Luongo had conquered his demons, and honestly, after his fantastic performance in Game 3, it seemed as if he had put his prior issues with Chicago far away into the past. The Game 4 massacre was not Luongo's fault. He was bad, no doubt, but he hardly had a chance with the way Vancouver disintegrated in front of him. Christian Ehrhoff and Alex Edler spent most of that game guarding air, and the Sedins' brutal defensive awareness and half-speed back-checking would even have embarrassed Pavel Bure. Kevin Bieksa was to Brian Bickell what Janne Ninimma was to Darren McCarty. Vancouver hung Luongo out to dry in spectacular fashion. Every single Chicago goal (against Luongo) came off a ridiculously high-quality scoring chance during which the Canucks fell apart defensively. It should have been easy for Luongo to move on from such a shellacking, considering he was hardly at fault for any of those goals.

Truthfully, I expected Vancouver to close out the series in Game 5. This series reminded me so much of the San Jose-Detroit series last year, during which the Sharks took a 3-0 series lead on the two-time defending Western champs, and got brutalized in Game 4 by a proud Detroit team that did not want to get swept on home ice. The Sharks regrouped, and won the series in Game 5. That's exactly what I expected Vancouver to do. But the Canucks are starting to show some cracks, and I'm not talking about Luongo. They have little scoring depth beyond Daniel Sedin, who has 4 goals. Jannik Hansen has 2. The only two other forwards to score a goal are Samuelsson and Higgins, with 1 each. That does not bode well in later rounds. I do not think there is any way the Canucks blow this series. This is not Boston against a far more talented Philadelphia team. Vancouver has flaws, but they are too good to blow a 3-0 lead with home-ice in Game 7. That said, the Blackhawks don't have many issues with playing in Vancouver. Still, I can't see it happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
this series is going to game 7, but sorry hawks fans, Canucks will find some way to win game 7, i have no doubt.
Aren't you the guy who, prior to the series, said something about Chicago going up 3-0 in the series, Vancouver switching to Schneider, and then coming back to win it? Ouch.

Old
04-22-2011, 05:06 PM
TorontoWingsFan

Just saw on Sportsnet Luongo claiming "we know we're the best team this year"...

Why do the Canucks insist on thinking this? Because they won the Presiden't trophy?

Who forgot to tell them that the honour of being the best is determined by being the best in the playoffs?

Old
04-22-2011, 05:12 PM
Crows*

These comments from the Canucks are extremely worrying to me. They worried me after game 4 too. Sure you can try and keep a calm demeanor , but there has to be more emotion after getting spanked so badly in 2 straight games.

Where's the fire!?

Old
04-22-2011, 05:12 PM
stingo

President's trophies don't mean a thing in the playoffs.

Old
04-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoWingsFan View Post
Just saw on Sportsnet Luongo claiming "we know we're the best team this year"...

Why do the Canucks insist on thinking this? Because they won the Presiden't trophy?

Who forgot to tell them that the honour of being the best is determined by being the best in the playoffs?
Uh, no. They're the best team until someone proves otherwise in the playoffs. Until then, Luongo is right.

The Hawks have been afforded the luxury of playing with nothing to lose and their backs against the wall whereas the Canucks haven't had the same desperation behind them. If Chicago still finds a way to beat the Canucks in these last 2 games when both teams are playing desperate than the questions about mental toughness and adversity deserve to be asked. Until then, it's still just a 3-2 series lead for the Canucks.

Old
04-22-2011, 05:21 PM
Konnan511
#Loyalty

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingo View Post
Tis' true. 7 of the 10 non-NorthWest teams had a winning record against the North West.

A very Good team, in a weak division, wins you a Presidents Trophy. Then come the playoffs...you get exposed. Hence, 3 of the last 5 have gone out in the first round and only one made it to the SCF (Red Wings).

Old
04-22-2011, 05:34 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingo View Post
I love people trotting this out as if it's some revelation. Everyone knows this, including Canucks fans.

Old
04-22-2011, 05:35 PM
luongoisdaman

Looks like this will be going to a Part V. What a series so far. Hopefully we can close it out on Sunday.

Old
04-22-2011, 05:45 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Uh, no. They're the best team until someone proves otherwise in the playoffs. Until then, Luongo is right.

The Hawks have been afforded the luxury of playing with nothing to lose and their backs against the wall whereas the Canucks haven't had the same desperation behind them. If Chicago still finds a way to beat the Canucks in these last 2 games when both teams are playing desperate than the questions about mental toughness and adversity deserve to be asked. Until then, it's still just a 3-2 series lead for the Canucks.
Really?

I thought the Stanley Cup Champs are the Stanley Cup Champs until another team beats them in the playoffs. That hasn't happened yet.

The Blackhawks are still the Stanely Cup Champs, which makes them the better team until another team proves otherwise. At least with your type of reasoning.

Old
04-22-2011, 05:50 PM
HeadLikeAnOrange*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Really?

I thought the Stanley Cup Champs are the Stanley Cup Champs until another team beats them in the playoffs. That hasn't happened yet.

The Blackhawks are still the Stanely Cup Champs, which makes them the better team until another team proves otherwise. At least with your type of reasoning.
Key words being this year. Just because you're the defending champs doesn't make you the best team in the league, far from it.

Old
04-22-2011, 05:53 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Really?

I would agree with that, if they didn't need to rely on Minnesota to get them into the playoffs.

The Canucks led the rest of the NHL by 10 points, were the first team in 40 years to lead in both goals for and against and did so with a defense riddled with injuries this season. I can't honestly sit here and say Chicago is the better team after the way this season played out.

Normally I would agree. This Hawk team however has disappointed too much this season to be considered the best.

Old
04-22-2011, 05:53 PM
committedindian86
Flip The Switch

Quote:

Last year he was quoted after the game 6 and series loss to Chicago something like.. "We were the much better team, but they were just smarter."

I guess he thinks they were better than the eventual Cup winner... If your Wings win the Cup or someone else, I'm thinking he will probably say the same thing.

Old
04-22-2011, 05:56 PM
TorontoWingsFan

Quote:
Uh NO the last team to be crowned that title was the Blackhawks last June. Since then all other 29 teams have been playing for the right to take that mantle for themselves. Vancouver included.

Old
04-22-2011, 06:00 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Uh NO the last team to be crowned that title was the Blackhawks last June. Since then all other 29 teams have been playing for the right to take that mantle for themselves. Vancouver included.
So the Chicago Blackhawks were the best team in the NHL this season?

Go tell that to the oddsmakers than - because they're telling me Vancouver.

Old
04-22-2011, 06:01 PM
HeadLikeAnOrange*

Quote:
Christ the bookmakers in Vegas would have some fun with your money.

Old
04-22-2011, 06:07 PM
ComrieFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadLikeAnOrange View Post
Christ the bookmakers in Vegas would have some fun with your money.
Vegas odds mean very little. They are based on the number of bets each team receives to ensure that they always make a profit regardless of the outcome of the game (in most cases). Also, I'm quite sure the Canucks were heavy favourites in Vegas in games 4 and 5.

Not saying Vancouver won't win this series but to use Vegas odds as an argument is silly.

Old
04-22-2011, 06:11 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:

All Vancouver had to do was beat a down and out Chicago team once more.
Just once.
You know, kind of like how Detroit took it to Phoenix in their last game in that barn ever (potentially).
That's all Vancouver had to do.

If they had any mental toughness that series would have been over in 4 games.

Old
04-22-2011, 06:12 PM
TorontoWingsFan

Chicago is better because they are the STC. Vancouver is the regular season top pt team.

Congratulations. How many of these President's trophy winning best teams have failed to be the last one standing in June?

Vancouver players and worse so, their fans demand respect and lofty titles they neither earned nor deserve.

Not that most of them don't already know deep down that the Canucks are frauds and pretenders to the throne. Many teams, even eventual champions will experience bad games in the playoffs, but true winners bounce back, they don't get shelled and shutout.

The playoffs are 4 rounds where the winner get's to proclaim he's the best.

We'll see if the Canucks are the last team standing or not.

Closed Thread