HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Back to the Future - Leighton to dress for game 3

Old
04-18-2011, 06:43 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

vCash: 500
I saw a few people toy with this, but does anyone think there is just no way Leighton touches the ice, and that Bob is being put in the press box to observe and get a better grasp of Buffalo's game plan?

I always feel like Lavi's reluctant to pull Boosh anyway, so maybe he has no intentions or doing so, regardless of what happens, and is giving this game to Boosh and allowing Bob to learn.

I don't think it's the best idea, but I can't imagine they gave up on Bob this quick. I have faith in Boosh for a game or two, so maybe Lavi's riding the hot hand and doesn't see a bench spot really helping Bob's game. It makes a little more sense than thinking Leighton is actually better.

Side note, has Bob ever come in as relief and owned a game? I don't remember him really filling that role well.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 06:47 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

^^ that makes the most sense. Lavi doesn't strike me as being extraordinarily stupid. There is likely a method to this madness.

It's potentially a huge risk though. Boosh can suck at any time; he isn't renowned for consistency. Putting Leighton in would mean the game is probably lost.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 06:49 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Maybe Homer's high risk/low reward mentality is rubbing off on Lavi. But I agree, I don't see Boosh getting pulled unless it gets really bad, and I doubt Bob would have saved us anyway. My gut feeling is that they knew they wouldn't use Bob in a backup role, so they're putting him in the pressbox to observe. Aside from MFL being in a Flyers jersey, I think it almost makes sense.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 07:55 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers View Post
I'd rather have a goalie whose been playing solid for us all season in the NHL than Michael Leighton whose been in the ****ing AHL all of this year.
I wasn't saying Leighton is a better decision. I don't really agree with this either. I am just saying it's funny that people talk about how Bob deserves to be in there because of how he played this season and this and that and its not fair blah blah blah but then those same people look at Leighton and say he doesn't deserve his contract and shouldn't have been re-signed etc etc. It seems like there is no middle ground on this board. There is either an extreme of everything is doomed or an extreme of everything is perfect (mostly doom).

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 08:19 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
None of this rant makes sense.

It is LAVY'S decision to dress Leighton over Bob, which is everyone's issue. Holmgren has nothing to do with that.

You'd all be fine if Lavy ran with Bob-Boosh or Boosh-Bob for the playoffs, which is an option he totally has.

Look, I'm not a fan of this decision, nor of Leighton's goaltending in general, but some of the reaction on here is over-the-top hysterics and people are piling on Holmgren yet again, completely unreasonably.

This is Lavy's call. If you want to take issue with the decision, go knock on his door.
I love how people denigrate posts with vacuous pejoratives like rant.....

Not everybody was fine with Leighton and Boosh (beginning of year) or Bob or Boosh/Boosh or Bob in the playoffs. Leighton and Boosh.. are two career backups. Boosh and Bob...a career above average back up and a rookie. Having this goaltending situation that is not exactly finals/cup caliber is not Lavy's fault..it's Holmgrens. I'm making a larger point not just focusing on Lavy having to make Bob sit b/c he's not totally prepared. I don't agree with Lavy doing so but the larger issue is why we have the flip flopping goalie situation 2 games into the playoffs. If you consider it a rant hate to gauge your reading comprehension skills..

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 10:52 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
I love how people denigrate posts with vacuous pejoratives like rant.....

Not everybody was fine with Leighton and Boosh (beginning of year) or Bob or Boosh/Boosh or Bob in the playoffs. Leighton and Boosh.. are two career backups. Boosh and Bob...a career above average back up and a rookie. Having this goaltending situation that is not exactly finals/cup caliber is not Lavy's fault..it's Holmgrens. I'm making a larger point not just focusing on Lavy having to make Bob sit b/c he's not totally prepared. I don't agree with Lavy doing so but the larger issue is why we have the flip flopping goalie situation 2 games into the playoffs. If you consider it a rant hate to gauge your reading comprehension skills..
Whatever, dude.

This entire thread, and all of the uproar contained within, does not happen if THE COACH does not make this decision, NOT THE GM, THE COACH.

Lavy isn't being forced into this, so stop trying to twist it into that. If you have an issue with this particular move, blame the coach.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 10:58 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
Whatever, dude.

This entire thread, and all of the uproar contained within, does not happen if THE COACH does not make this decision, NOT THE GM, THE COACH.

Lavy isn't being forced into this, so stop trying to twist it into that. If you have an issue with this particular move, blame the coach.
Sorry dude but if you take making a larger point with the goaltending situation overall as a twist that is your deal. The move is the result of a lack of foresight on the part of the GM with respect to how he's handled the goaltending. It stems from him. We'll have to agree to disagree on this point.

Old
04-22-2011, 10:40 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

I don't want to see this bum play another game as Flyer. Thoughts? Questions?

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:51 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I'd rather not see either Leights or Boosh. Boosh might be fine for 10-15 regular season games, not a single minute in the playoffs even if we're up by 60-1 after the first period.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:58 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
I'd rather not see either Leights or Boosh. Boosh might be fine for 10-15 regular season games, not a single minute in the playoffs even if we're up by 60-1 after the first period.
While I blame tonight on Boucher, do you realize how good he was for us in this series until now?

That said, if Holmgren doesn't get this team a real *ing goalie to compete with next season, I'm going to murder someone.

Side note: can we now give Michael "Freebounds" Leighton the Lifetime Vezina award that so many fans on these boards think he should get? He hasn't changed at all. He's still bad.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 11:00 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
While I blame tonight on Boucher, do you realize how good he was for us in this series until now?

That said, if Holmgren doesn't get this team a real *ing goalie to compete with next season, I'm going to murder someone.

Side note: can we now give Michael "Freebounds" Leighton the Lifetime Vezina award that so many fans on these boards think he should get? He hasn't changed at all. He's still bad.
Yeah, Boosh has been good. The problem with Boosh being Boosh is that a game like this is bound to happen. It's not probable, or even likely. IT IS GONNA ****IN HAPPEN. Sooner than later. And that's why I can't stand having a team claiming to be a serious cup contender with Brian ****in Boucher as their starting goalie (lolwhat, did I really type that?) in the playoffs.

Old
04-22-2011, 11:07 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
Yeah, Boosh has been good. The problem with Boosh being Boosh is that a game like this is bound to happen. It's not probable, or even likely. IT IS GONNA ****IN HAPPEN. Sooner than later. And that's why I can't stand having a team claiming to be a serious cup contender with Brian ****in Boucher as their starting goalie (lolwhat, did I really type that?) in the playoffs.
The problem is that the message about Bob right now is rather *ing cloudy. Boucher has proven to be an ideal (and that can't be stressed enough) teammate the last two years. He took a lot of **** last year and was still there for the team at the end of the season. He's a backup, and nothing more... and should not be more than a backup. I like him a lot as a guy sitting behind Bob, but if they're going to bring someone in to play ahead of Bob... then I don't know where we are. Do we keep Leighton as the backup and let Bob start in the AHL?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 11:12 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The problem is that the message about Bob right now is rather *ing cloudy. Boucher has proven to be an ideal (and that can't be stressed enough) teammate the last two years. He took a lot of **** last year and was still there for the team at the end of the season. He's a backup, and nothing more... and should not be more than a backup. I like him a lot as a guy sitting behind Bob, but if they're going to bring someone in to play ahead of Bob... then I don't know where we are. Do we keep Leighton as the backup and let Bob start in the AHL?
I see where you're gettin at, and I kinda agree. I honestly don't know the answer, I just want Leighton waived and sent to the AHL, Boosh's contract is up after this season. Don't re-sign him. Or possibly re-sign him if we can get a legitimate numero uno.
If we don't, if we get say Emery or some one like him, a 1A/1B goalie type, let's have Bob be the other half of that duo.
I'd prefer a Vokoun/Boosh duo though, and Bob getting 60 starts in the AHL.

Old
04-22-2011, 11:17 PM
infidelappel*

I dunno how I feel about Bob going to the AHL next year.

If the message you send the kid is that no matter what you did for the team all year, 3 bad goals are going to derail your place on the team for that long, that's pretty *ing bleak. I thought not going back to him in the next game was questionable (but I supported that). Sending him to the press box and off the team for practice was very harsh, IMO. Further demoting him to the AHL for the foreseeable future next season is just......wow.

On the plus side, if he lives through that, nobody should be able to question his mental fortitude.

Old
04-22-2011, 11:31 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
I can't think straight right now...so mad. Now back to muttering HOLMGREN, HOLMGREN like a savant!

Old
04-22-2011, 11:35 PM
hof2120

Quote:
Yeah because this game was his fault. He let in 2 goals from incredibly ****** angles right? For ****'s sake dude if you honestly think this game is the least bit his fault, you are mentally challenged. I don't love Leighton by any means but seriously? Get ****ing real.

hof2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 11:39 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by hof2120 View Post
Yeah because this game was his fault. He let in 2 goals from incredibly ****** angles right? For ****'s sake dude if you honestly think this game is the least bit his fault, you are mentally challenged. I don't love Leighton by any means but seriously? Get ****ing real.
You think stating that you didn't want to see Leighton play again is an indication of positive thoughts about Boucher's play?

Seriously?

Old
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Quote:
I don't think sending Bob to the AHL next year would be a step forward. I have no idea what direction they are going to take. I just hope that he isn't ****ed up because of the demotion. It's one thing to be made the backup after a bad game, it's another to go from annointed playoff starter to skating with the black aces. Hopefully, this kid is as mentally strong as they say.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
infidelappel*

Quote:
I mean, he had a pretty task laid out for him but couldn't win the game. That rebound is just typical Leighton, and shouldn't happen.

However, this game is very much Boucher's fault. With a little bit of help from the D and the smallest bit from Leighton.

Old
04-22-2011, 11:46 PM
hof2120

Quote:
You think stating that you didn't want to see Leighton play again is an indication of positive thoughts about Boucher's play?

Seriously?
Leighton didn't win a game where he came in trailing 3-0? BURN HIM AT THE ****ING STAKE!

hof2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 11:49 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

I seriously, for my life, can't believe there are people STILL DEFENDING MICHAEL ****IN LEIGHTON!

Have you people ever watched a ****in hockey game?

Old
04-22-2011, 11:49 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Leighton didn't win a game where he came in trailing 3-0? BURN HIM AT THE ****ING STAKE!
The team went absolute beast mode when he came into the game. He had very little work to do. Very little. All he had to do was make routine saves without coughing up bad rebounds.

He can't do that.

Old
04-22-2011, 11:54 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
The team went absolute beast mode when he came into the game. He had very little work to do. Very little. All he had to do was make routine saves without coughing up bad rebounds.

He can't do that.

Leighton sucks but this game was far from his fault and that was a well placed shot, intendedto draw a rebound.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 11:58 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Leighton sucks but this game was far from his fault and that was a well placed shot, intendedto draw a rebound.
Go read what I've said in this thread. I'm not blaming him, but he just isn't good enough to get the job done.

And that was a well-placed shot for a rebound, but as I've discussed in the GDT, as a goaltender you have to be aware of that and stick it away, change the angle on it, or make a better save selection that allows you to start gaining lateral momentum to make the save closer to the body and avoid that type of bad rebound. A better goalie probably doesn't kick that rebound right onto Ennis' tape. There are better selections he could have made.

Our goaltending sucked tonight. Both of them, and one more than the other. But Leighton had a golden opportunity to become the hero and win back the starting role simply by playing solidly, and he couldn't do it. The fact that he can't do the little things right in a chance that allows him to seize the moment is kind of a problem.

Old
04-23-2011, 12:00 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
It was, but Leighton has ZERO rebound control. Watch the replay, he just lets it hit him and bounce where it will.