HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

NFL vs NHL game day shows

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2003, 09:45 AM
Joe Cole

vCash: 500
NFL vs NHL game day shows

Watching TV on Sunday morning I was bombarded with the usual NFL pre-game ESPN stuff. I flipped the dial and it was more of the same on other channels. It got me thinking....lucky football fans.

The analysis is in depth. Breaking down plays. Player profiles (not just fluff). They go into such depth that it lasts for hours.

What do we get for hockey? 5 minutes of McGuire, then it goes downhill. We have the NHLPA propoganda with B Lindros or it's equivalent Hor Jeux (look how rich we are!), Hockey Central (Kypreos bravado), That's Hockey (highlight reel reruns). We get 110%, full of guys whose main answer to everything is "try harder, and grit your teeth".

Wouldn't a good hockey pre-game show draw more viewers then whatever crap the CBC plays on Saturdays? I am sure it would be better then snooker, darts, or fitness competitions for TSN.

Whatta you think?

Old
10-14-2003, 09:47 AM
Subban Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole
Watching TV on Sunday morning I was bombarded with the usual NFL pre-game ESPN stuff. I flipped the dial and it was more of the same on other channels. It got me thinking....lucky football fans.

The analysis is in depth. Breaking down plays. Player profiles (not just fluff). They go into such depth that it lasts for hours.

What do we get for hockey? 5 minutes of McGuire, then it goes downhill. We have the NHLPA propoganda with B Lindros or it's equivalent Hor Jors (look how rich we are!), Hockey Central (Kypreos bravado), That's Hockey (highlight reel reruns). We get 110%, full of guys whose main answer to everything is "try harder, and grit your teeth".

Wouldn't a good hockey pre-game show draw more viewers then whatever crap the CBC plays on Saturdays? I am sure it would be better then snooker, darts, or fitness competitions for TSN.

Whatta you think?
I totally agree...

Old
10-14-2003, 09:50 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
football is my 2nd best sports so i can't complain about this

Old
10-14-2003, 09:51 AM
Dr Love

If there were 82 football games a year, you wouldn't see the same coverage. But since football only happens once a week--and on Sunday afternoon when people aren't at work--you get hours of pre game. It's not very feasible to have pre game for hockey start two hours before gametime. You don't see it in the NBA or MLB either. I agree that there can and should be more analysis, but you have to understand that when it comes to television, the NFL is in a world of it's own.

Old
10-14-2003, 09:53 AM
Gros Bill

I don't care for pre-game shows, and wouldn't watch them if they had them for hockey. Just drop the puck, already.

Old
10-14-2003, 09:55 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:

What do we get for hockey? 5 minutes of McGuire, then it goes downhill. We have the NHLPA propoganda with B Lindros or it's equivalent Hor Jeux (look how rich we are!), Hockey Central (Kypreos bravado), That's Hockey (highlight reel reruns). We get 110%, full of guys whose main answer to everything is "try harder, and grit your teeth".

Whatta you think?

you forget "NHL on the fly" on the nhlnetwork

Old
10-14-2003, 09:57 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
If there were 82 football games a year, you wouldn't see the same coverage. But since football only happens once a week--and on Sunday afternoon when people aren't at work--you get hours of pre game. It's not very feasible to have pre game for hockey start two hours before gametime. You don't see it in the NBA or MLB either. I agree that there can and should be more analysis, but you have to understand that when it comes to television, the NFL is in a world of it's own.

Fesible? Ofcourse. The amount of games just gives them more material. If it was a Hab pre-game, then they have a max of four games to watch. Plus the adversaries 4 games. As for ratings, I know that the NFL is king, but a hockey pre-game would out draw the crap they have on now, no?

Is it because there aren't enough analysts who can string together two sentences and thehe ones who can speak, have no analytical ability?

Old
10-14-2003, 10:06 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Fesible? Ofcourse. The amount of games just gives them more material. If it was a Hab pre-game, then they have a max of four games to watch. Plus the adversaries 4 games. As for ratings, I know that the NFL is king, but a hockey pre-game would out draw the crap they have on now, no?

Is it because there aren't enough analysts who can string together two sentences and thehe ones who can speak, have no analytical ability?
LOL. That is a problem. But seriously, in short: money. In Canada you can get the sponsors pretty easily, the ratings are there; it's very feasible in Canada. Can't say the same in the US. Hopefully the NHL will take it's network contract elsewhere after this year (I believe it is up this year) and that new network will give the NHL more airtime. But right now ESPN isn't willng to shell out the money for better coverage and they won't get sponsors to do so either. And, the NBA would get the treatment first.

Old
10-14-2003, 10:55 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill
I don't care for pre-game shows, and wouldn't watch them if they had them for hockey. Just drop the puck, already.
I hear ya, but it would be nice to have some QUALITY hockey programming, no?

Maybe you are so bored of bad TV that you can't even believe that you could be entertained and informed.....maybe

Old
10-14-2003, 11:01 AM
Darz

IF the CBC had a pregame NHL Saturday show it would be filled with useless leaf's crap, and none of us need that!

Old
10-14-2003, 03:41 PM
danboulie

Send a message via MSN to danboulie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill
I"m with you. The only time i'll watch a pre game show is if I can't find anything else on tv.
The whole thing about the volume of games is a great point. If you watch closely, you'll find that the analysis is much more in depth during the playoffs, because there are fewer games so people have more time to prep and make up their points.

Old
10-14-2003, 03:46 PM
RE-HABS

If the Habs do as well as my Chiefs I will be very, very happy!!!

Old
10-14-2003, 07:22 PM
Guy!

I think there are two reasons they don't have something akin to the NFL: a better schedule and a better marketing department.

First of all, in order to do something like the NFL, you need to have a schedule that is a little less random and much more poignant, if you will. For instance, we have Hockey Day in Canada, which by all accounts, is a huge success in Canada. This kind of thing needs to be expanded across the whole season for the NHL to become a marketing success. Right now, there are too many games and no real cohesion. Sure, you have extra games against division rivals, but really, is five enough against Boston or Toronto for us?

Part of this lies in the rink rights and when the teams get to use the facilities, although I think this is getting better for the NHL clubs since many of them are the primary tennants in their respective rinks. As such, it should be the teams who start dictating when and whom they'd like to play a little more often. Having the sked made by a computer is...well it takes all the emotion out of it.

The NFL has it's Sunday games which are the big ones. Obviously the NHL is a Saturday game. That's a good start. But why have all the games at night? Surely there are some markets where afternoon games would be a good thing. You can have three start times (a la NFL) and suddenly the day is far more appealing.

Now, move on to Sunday and you could make things really interesting by having home and home series on consecutive days. One night in Montreal, the next in Toronto. If you follow that, you have a significantly larger number of games on the weekends - with a side effect of having more opportunity for fans at the games.

Of course, you still have to have games all through the week, but there's no reason they can't be a little more structured. I like the idea of the Mechant Mardi's that the Habs have - but expand the idea and have a few teams participating. It could be a league initiative. Wednesday could be American night with only select American cities playing - perhaps significant rivalries. See what I mean about more focus?

If you manage to focus the schedule like that, a game day show on Saturday - between matchups, would be much more focussed and certainly easier to map out for the NHL and the marketing department. And this is where we get into the next issue.

Let's be honest, the NHL marketing guys are amateur hour compared to the glitz of the NFL shows. Monday Night Football? Is there anything anywhere that compares to that? Those mid-morning Pre-Game Shows on the three big channels are impressive.

First, you need to devise an NHL Films department that puts together extremely high-quality reels. Secondly, you have to hire three or four guys who have good profiles and are knowledgeable about the game. Is Ron MacLean the host of such a show? At the moment, yes, because he's probably the best known figure out there.

Third, you need to take advantage of the new scheduling to really pack the show with emotion, because if you watch the NFL shows, they are all about the mental side of the game.

That's all a start. It's by no means the answer. I can tell you that I'm working with a friend to start something like this on community TV - but it won't be anything like what I'd like to see for obvious reasons.

However, the point of the Pre-Game shows is well taken - this is something that the NHL should really be looking into as it's a marketing tool that could really, if it's done right, bring the game to many more Americans - and that's where it needs to be ultimately sold.

Hey, I'd love to hear more ideas...

A concerned fan.

Old
10-15-2003, 04:32 AM
Joe Cole

You know, trying to sell the game to the american market is not a good use of time and money. They are not interested in enough numbers.

Only the northen cities are a worthwhile target.

But....my point is that we have to sit through puff "journalism" like HNIC but we never get the depth of analysis that the NFL gets.

I guess it's just too much effort, and the audience (us) is so used to seeing bad TV that we do not demand quality at all.

Closed Thread