HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Assuming the Bob rumors are true, how do you feel?

Old
04-22-2011, 11:16 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

vCash: 500
Assuming the Bob rumors are true, how do you feel?

I've been a Bob supporter since I saw him during training camp. I just thought he had the skills and reflexes we've been lacking in that position for years. Regardless, these rumors about his mental toughness came as a great surprise to me, and I'm sure a lot of other people, and assuming that they're true, how do you feel about Bob?

Personally I feel really sorry for him. I know that this is going to dig up the rich athlete talk, and the who cares about feelings, etc, but the way I see it is some kid was shoehorned into a starting role for a team projected to compete for the Cup. Couple that with the fact that it was his first year in the NHL, hell in North America for all I know, a longer season, and an inability to thoroughly communicate with your teammates, and I think it's reasonable that it all got to him. Putting aside his celebrity, he's just a kid.

I'm just wondering how this affects your outlook on him. Is he damaged goods now? Is he something to worry about? Or is he just human? I seriously feel sorry for him, and I want him to get another chance. I know I'm sounding like a pinko commie when I say I think he deserves another chance...but I guess it's just startling to see humanity in a player these days. I rarely sympathize with a player, but I genuinely understand where he's coming from.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 11:22 PM
Vikke
ViktorAllvin twitter

vCash: 685
Granted, I'm not in the locker room etc, but I don't feel they should've scratched him. He should've started game 3.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 11:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

I don't think it hurts his future here. He'll rebound.

It doesn't help the team now, though

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 11:26 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
I've been a Bob supporter since I saw him during training camp. I just thought he had the skills and reflexes we've been lacking in that position for years. Regardless, these rumors about his mental toughness came as a great surprise to me, and I'm sure a lot of other people, and assuming that they're true, how do you feel about Bob?

Personally I feel really sorry for him. I know that this is going to dig up the rich athlete talk, and the who cares about feelings, etc, but the way I see it is some kid was shoehorned into a starting role for a team projected to compete for the Cup. Couple that with the fact that it was his first year in the NHL, hell in North America for all I know, a longer season, and an inability to thoroughly communicate with your teammates, and I think it's reasonable that it all got to him. Putting aside his celebrity, he's just a kid.

I'm just wondering how this affects your outlook on him. Is he damaged goods now? Is he something to worry about? Or is he just human? I seriously feel sorry for him, and I want him to get another chance. I know I'm sounding like a pinko commie when I say I think he deserves another chance...but I guess it's just startling to see humanity in a player these days. I rarely sympathize with a player, but I genuinely understand where he's coming from.
Are there any reputable articles asserting this whole mental toughness issue? I haven't heard anything official said about it.

That said, this season was absolutely unfair for Bobrovsky. I think he handled everything pretty well if you look at the big picture. In training camp I knew a lot of these issues would be exploited (high shots, traffic) and didn't want to rush his development. Ultimately, I was proven correct.

So the kid has every right to be a little fatigued and frustrated right now; he's never been in this country before, never played this style of game, and can only now speak any English. That he performed as well as he did this year is a testament to his positive attitude and work ethic.

So no, I don't think he's damaged goods and yes, he deserves more time and another shot. He kind of reminds me a lot of Fleury when he was first on the brink of the NHL; a lot of crap went on with calling him up, sending him down, and relying on him too early, and he turned out to be pretty good.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 11:28 PM
StandingCow

I doubt the stories are true... at least not to the extent the stories say.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 11:31 PM
MsWoof

I think we're lucky to have him. He has such a great outlook and is a team player above all else. He works hard, so many times the writers have said he's the first guy on the ice. I do feel sorry for him, new country, not knowing the language, it must be so hard not to be able to articulate or understand what someone is saying. Hopefully, after the season is over in June he can go home for a while, keep working on his English and come back refreshed.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 11:38 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 450
With how bad the Phantoms were, especially early, he'd be in Johan Backlund territory where he would be an unknown commodity at best. Who knows where his confidence would be while getting lit up every night.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 11:39 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
It idiotic to groom a guy like Bob all year, name him your playoff starter, and then throw him under the bus after one poor period. I don't buy any of the rumors.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 11:39 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

I will post this once again to offer some perspective on the Bob situation per Meltzer..take it for what it's worth (interpret it as you wish) but it's some good insight into what may have transpired....

Quote:
By his own admission, Sergei Bobrovsky has not felt mentally up to par since losing game one. Despite playing will in the team's 1-0 loss, he took the defeat hard (and had to be coaxed to speak afterwards) and then pressed in game two.

Speaking to Philadelphia-based Sovetsky Sport writer Natalia Bragilevskaya (who sometimes serves as his translator), Bobrovsky said after Game 2, "Physically, I feel normal. Mentally, not so much. But I will be OK soon."

Bobrovsky's pledge to bounce right back may have said one thing but his body language said something different. I suspect that Jeff Reese and Peter Laviolette picked up on it, and that figured in why Michael Leighton was chosen to back up Boucher.

I feel for Bobrovsky. He's a 22-year-old kid who still speaks limited English -- making it impossible for him to have a heart-to-heart with Reese or Boucher about the mental aspects of playoff hockey. The NHL season is longer than European seasons (which are now over, including the playoffs) and the Stanley Cup playoff atmosphere is different than the regular season. Bobrovsky entered the series knowing he was looking over his shoulder and would be yanked at the first sign of trouble. Those are pretty tough conditions under which to excel, but Bobrovsky played quite well in the first game.

Over the long haul, Bobrovsky should be fine. In the short term, it cannot help his psyche to have been demoted to third goalie. But the first concern of Laviolette and the team has to be to win. Yes, the rookie goaltender showed resiliency and mental toughness throughout the regular season whenever he had tough games. But if the coaching staff got the sense that Bobrovsky has been mentally "off" the last few days, they really had no choice but to scratch him.

It is only natural for young players, even the most confident and mentally strong ones, to go through times of self-doubt. It's normal to press and try to do a little too much. In Bobrovsky's case, the player has had too much time to be in his own head and dwell on things. Eventually, he should figure out that a bad game -- even in the playoffs -- can be put aside. Will that happen right away? We'll see, but if I were Peter Laviolette, I'd have reservations about turning back to Bobrovsky in this series.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?p...&blogger_id=45

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 11:45 PM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

vCash: 50
I believe in Bob. I do not think he's damaged goods. I think he's the future.

I also think he's a 22-year-old kid who had never played more than 35 games in a season and asking him to come to a country where he doesn't speak the language or have any personal support and lead a team to a Stanley Cup was nothing short of wishful thinking. He's mentally and/or physically exhausted? Wow, what a shocker.

It's not Bob's fault that the Flyers came into this season with Boucher and Leighton as their goalies.

I'm still driving the Bob bandwagon.

GirouxGiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
I will post this once again to offer some perspective on the Bob situation per Meltzer..take it for what it's worth (interpret it as you wish) but it's some good insight into what may have transpired....
Ah...yeah, it's hard to tell. You can take the interpreted quotes and read a lot into it one way or another.

To me it looks like he took the loss hard and tried to do a little too much in game two, because he knew he'd get yanked. I think it would have been more effective, long-term, to keep him in the fold rather than banish him. Sometimes when a player is feeling a little doubt, that's when you NEED to give them a confidence boost. Especially since he's just a kid.

However, no matter what happens, I don't think this makes him damaged goods long-term. Let him work on stuff over the summer and come back ready to go next year. He'll do fine.

Old
infidelappel*

no me gusta double post.

Last edited by infidelappel*: 04-23-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old
04-22-2011, 11:51 PM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

vCash: 50
...double post

GirouxGiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 12:03 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
The Flyers should contact the Isles since they announced they will be tolling Nabokov

Work something out to get Nabokov to serve as a partner and mentor for Bobrovsky next year.

Or work out a deal involving Walker and Leighton to Edmonton for Khabibulin. Bulin would serve well as mentor and #2

Oilers would probably love to dump Khabby and his 2 remaining years. Salary wise Walker/Leighton are about a wash for next year and then only Walker would still be on Books for Oilers in 2012-13 season.

Walker/Leighton aren't any good so Flyers would just be rolling dice on Khabby still having something in tank + his influences as a mentor.

He was well liked in Hawks lockerroom and likely would best understand the struggles Bobrovsky is going thru as a young Russian goalie in NHL

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 12:05 AM
infidelappel*

I don't like Khabi's contract or back issues.

I'd take a good look at Nabokov, though. Despite his issues over in the KHL last year.

Old
04-23-2011, 12:08 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
I don't like Khabi's contract or back issues.

I'd take a good look at Nabokov, though. Despite his issues over in the KHL last year.
Khabby's back seems to be holding up well since the surgery and his cost next year is only 500k more then Leighton/Walker combined.

It is 2nd year that would be issue (Walker's 2nd year is only 1.7 mil)

But Khabby like I said is a good lockeroom guy and I think Khabibulin still has some quality hockey left in him.

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 12:09 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
no me gusta double post.
No me gustan los sucko goalies

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 02:06 AM
albator71

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
It idiotic to groom a guy like Bob all year, name him your playoff starter, and then throw him under the bus after one poor period. I don't buy any of the rumors.
You my friend are correct he should have had the opportunity to redeem himself and start game #2.

albator71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:44 AM
iamcanadian23

Personally, I think this whole situation comes down to opinion. I skipped right to the quotations on this page, before reading the opinions of everyone else - and this is what I took from it...

Bobrovsky was upset with losing Game One, which to me is unwarranted. Game One was lost by a lack of offense. Game Two, he is upset again with losing - and his performance. But, I think the quote about being upset mentally speaks more to his level of competitiveness than any mental weakness. He was beat, he knows it and he is angry with himself. Provided he isn't getting too down on himself that it would affect future performance, I don't see anything wrong with this. Nowhere does he concede defeat or say that he can't handle the pressure - he's saying he is upset. I would rather have a guy admit a shortcoming, and show some real emotion - than listen to some cliche response.

Whether or not I'm being naive, that was my initial interpretation - and to be honest, I still believe the same.

I feel for the kid though, I really do. I wouldn't want anything to do with media who speaks another language than me, translator or not. Imagine being plunked into Russia just barely out of your teenage years, playing towards a league championship - and then having to answer on a nightly basis to a flock of reporters, each looking for their next big quote.

My personal feeling is give this kid a break. This seems to match with alot of posters on this board - whereas other boards, they would prefer to see this kid run out of town for failing to be perfect in his rookie season. This kid showed alot of potential, and it's still there. Quite honestly, he's the most skilled prospect the organization has had in this position in years - don't throw it away so fast.

Just my thoughts.

iamcanadian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:48 AM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Like I said, I'm merely assuming the rumors are true and presenting this hypothetical question on that basis. I'm not vouching for any reports, just wondering IF this happened, what do you think.

I'm surprised to see so many people standing by Bob, I thought I'd be pretty alone in this haha.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:59 AM
HogtownSabresfan

Here's an outsider view. How can a guy who was your #1 all year have a bad period and then not just be the backup but go to stands? That makes no sense, unless the coaching had doubts going in or something is wrong with him. And if the coaching had doubts, why would you start the series with him. Something just doesn't add up.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Mgkibbles

Honestly, if Bob can't rebound from being scratched, he doesn't have what it takes to be a big-time goalie. But I think he does have what it takes, so I'm sure he'll be back and better next year.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 01:58 PM
DrHamburg

Considering he isn't with the team, I'd suspect this might be true. Lets also not forget the workload he had and perhaps he is just fatigued from the long season?

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 04:24 PM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
I personally think Bob got a bit of a raw deal. I didn't take his comments in that article to mean anything that just him being an overly competitive person who took the loss a bit too hard. I'm just not quiet sure how a guy can go from playoff starter and in one bad period be banished for the rest of the playoffs. It seems to me that maybe the coaching staff kinda panicked a bit with him. I just hope that it doesn't ruin his future.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 04:32 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord View Post
I personally think Bob got a bit of a raw deal. I didn't take his comments in that article to mean anything that just him being an overly competitive person who took the loss a bit too hard. I'm just not quiet sure how a guy can go from playoff starter and in one bad period be banished for the rest of the playoffs. It seems to me that maybe the coaching staff kinda panicked a bit with him. I just hope that it doesn't ruin his future.
The coaching staff must have seen something. We aren't privy to what goes on behind closed doors and the fact is, it's a 7 game series and the Sabres got the first win. We knew he was probably on a short leash and Lavy most likely went with Boosh because he's been there before. Bob is very young and has no NHL playoff experience. Unfortunately, Lavi is also saddled with Leighton so he had to make a choice as to who the backup would be.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote