HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Ryan White......WHY ????? (White headed to Hamilton, page 3)

Old
04-22-2011, 09:48 PM
Habblues

vCash: 500
Ryan White......WHY ????? (White headed to Hamilton, page 3)

Could someone PLEASE explain why Ryan`s ice time was nil during the 3rd period of last game ? Man he was a spark plug for the first 2 periods.....I just don`t get it....He and DD had some great chemistry and ESPECIALLY with Cammy......

Last edited by One Man Rock Band: 04-29-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Habblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 09:57 PM
Shadyone33

I like White a lot, a gritty player that plays with his heart on his sleeve. Plays every game like it's his last. I said in the last GDT he's our Ryan Smyth. He probably won't have the offensive upside but this guy will do ANYTHING to win by the looks of it.

Shadyone33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 09:59 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Jacques Martin doesn't like his style of play because he's against exciting hockey.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:12 PM
Miller Time

maybe it's a part of self-preservation creeping in...

if he plays the high paid, untradeable vets a ton, and the team struggles, then it's their fault for not living up to the organizations expectations,

but if he goes with a young guy, and the team struggles, then it's his fault for not playing the big-ticket veterans.

so instead of being a coach, evaluating who is at their best/giving the team more on any given night, and having the balls to make the right call, Martin sticks to the "safe" call, and Gomez & Spacek get to be on the ice for goal after goal after goal.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Stradale

Are you gonna make a thread about each players?

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:23 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Are you gonna make a thread about each players?
No, just about the young, unseasoned ones so he can question why they do not play more, or even get brought up from Junior straight into the playoffs.

Someone should go back and see how Yvan Cournoyer was nurtured into the league.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:31 PM
Habblues

OK so the Louis Leblanc thread was my frustration creeping in.....BUT come on guys White has been playing great......we need to hit the **** out of the Bruins and drive the net. He does that IMO.

Old
04-22-2011, 10:38 PM
CuteHockeyBunny

Because when Jacques Martin is down in a playoff game after two periods, he only plays two lines in the final period + a third line when rest is needed for both lines.

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:39 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habblues View Post
OK so the Louis Leblanc thread was my frustration creeping in.....BUT come on guys White has been playing great......we need to hit the **** out of the Bruins and drive the net. He does that IMO.
I like Ryan White, as a fourth liner.

You can't play 15 minutes a game at the breakneck pace White plays the game. Energy guys play limited minutes because they are giving it everything they have just to keep up with the play PLUS hit the opponents whenever they can.

At THIS STAGE of his career, if White were to play even 13-14 minutes , he would be totally exposed, due to lack of footspeed, lack of experience making the right plays, and out of energy to hit effectively all the time.

Don't expect a lot of offence out of Ryan White, by the way. He had 3 goals in 30 games in Hamilton this year. People think Pyatt has limited offence, and he was almost ppg in Hamilton last year. It's not that easy to score in the NHL.

White is usefull, like I said, being a guy who will hit, and can also defend his teammates, a role needed moreso in regular season games since in the playoffs teams are afraid to take stupid penalties and do not go overboard too often.

But I am just fine with him playing 6-10 minutes per game right now.

Old
04-22-2011, 10:47 PM
Habblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
I like Ryan White, as a fourth liner.

You can't play 15 minutes a game at the breakneck pace White plays the game. Energy guys play limited minutes because they are giving it everything they have just to keep up with the play PLUS hit the opponents whenever they can.

At THIS STAGE of his career, if White were to play even 13-14 minutes , he would be totally exposed, due to lack of footspeed, lack of experience making the right plays, and out of energy to hit effectively all the time.

Don't expect a lot of offence out of Ryan White, by the way. He had 3 goals in 30 games in Hamilton this year. People think Pyatt has limited offence, and he was almost ppg in Hamilton last year. It's not that easy to score in the NHL.

White is usefull, like I said, being a guy who will hit, and can also defend his teammates, a role needed moreso in regular season games since in the playoffs teams are afraid to take stupid penalties and do not go overboard too often.

But I am just fine with him playing 6-10 minutes per game right now.
Martin has trouble reading the team........White was digging the puck out for David Deharnais and whoever he threw out there but then he sat him. For me it was like hitting the break during a very important race.....YA DON`T DO THAT.

Old
04-23-2011, 01:46 AM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...MontrealSports

Quote:
Just after the six-minute mark of the third period, with the Canadiens up 4-3 and a faceoff coming in the defensive zone, Martin kept Lars Eller, Ryan White and Tom Pyatt out against Bergeron's line. Predictably, Bergeron won the draw and the Bruins proceeded to go on a wild scramble to try a tie the game, one that included four shots on Carey Price, the final one being Johnny Boychuk's attempt that landed in the trapper of the sprawled out Canadiens goalie.

Eller and White never played another shift.
That maybe?

habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 03:11 AM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsprospects View Post
You just can't shorten your bench that much when you have a roster full of "little-engines-that-could". None of our forwards are workhorses and given their overall physical weakness the playoff grind is extra demanding on them.

The only excuse Martin could have is that he was swinging for the fences in hopes of putting the Bruins down 3-1 in the series and, well, it failed. Gionta played 23 minutes FFS. And trust me, it showed.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 07:10 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
And White sat but not Pyatt? Figures.

Also you can't expect three green guys like those three if they make mistakes when they are together. Martin was playing with fire there.

In my opinion for a guy like White to be effective and make an impact on the game, you have to play him more than grinder minutes. Have him play on the first two lines a few times.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 07:21 AM
onice

Quote:
Well, if we're gonna use that excuse then why were Gionta & Gomez constantly playing. They finished the night a -3 each. The Bruins didn't only buzz around in the Habs' zone when they were on the ice, they scored 3 more goals than that line.

I agree that White is young & inexperienced but then so is Subban.

Gomez played one decent game (the first) and has gone back to his usual results for the other three games. If you're gonna use that reason for White, why doesn't it apply to Gomez?

I'm not saying using White as top winger but effing use him. If you don't then you place yourself in the position where the duo of Gionta & Gomez are getting elite line minutes. I like Gionta, couldn't care less for Gomez but you can't give these two elite minutes. Gomez has become useless & Gionta at best is a second line winger. I don't care how much heart he has. Gionta isn't and never was a first line winger.

So when you start to cut completely White's minutes you place yourself in a position where you have to give Gomez & Gionta minutes they can't handle and then you're exposing them.

But the Habs were suppose to go out in 4-5 games, so it's not all bad.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 08:46 AM
guest1467

It would be really humorous watching most of you guys try and manage a bench.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:15 AM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
BEcause Martin is a fat headed piece of ****!

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:21 AM
Habs 1909

Typical why doesn't my "insert favorite player here" get more minutes?

There's a reason why Jacques Martin has 600 wins behind the bench and you have 0.

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:28 AM
XperHFB

White has impressive speed for a fourth liner. I really like white the Team instantly gets more respect when his on the ice.

XperHFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:30 AM
XperHFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by XperHFB View Post
White has impressive speed for a fourth liner. I really like white the Team instantly gets more respect when his on the ice.
Hey Don Cherry likes him...must mean something.

XperHFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:45 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by XperHFB View Post
You are easily impressed. White is probably our second slowest forward, after Halpern. Even Moen and Desharnais are faster and that is not saying much.

Having said that, I like White on the fourth line, he does bring some energy and toughness. But the coach has to be very careful who he matches him up against.

Last edited by BaseballCoach: 04-23-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old
04-23-2011, 09:50 AM
zaluty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyG 91 View Post
Typical why doesn't my "insert favorite player here" get more minutes?

There's a reason why Jacques Martin has 600 wins behind the bench and you have 0.
But don't they have the same amount of Stanley Cups

zaluty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:53 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
And White sat but not Pyatt? Figures.

Also you can't expect three green guys like those three if they make mistakes when they are together. Martin was playing with fire there.

In my opinion for a guy like White to be effective and make an impact on the game, you have to play him more than grinder minutes. Have him play on the first two lines a few times.
You might want to think about the fact that Pyatt's ONLY shift of the entire series when his line could not get out of the zone to save their life was this one with the two rookies. Why in heaven's name should Pyatt have been the one to sit when he had already played 3.75 games without making virtually ANY defensive or positioning mistakes?

Also take a good look at the replay and you will see the chances developed from White's side of the ice and that Pyatt was the one along with the defencemen desperately protecting the slot.

Our top two RW are Gionta and Kostitsyn. Are you SERIOUSLY suggesting Ryan White play big minutes in their place? Do you realize his hitting game will disappear with too many minutes? Do you realize he only scored 3 goals in 30 games in the AHL??? You want him on a top-2 NHL line???

I am absolutely sure Ryan White is not ready for that role, does not have the speed or the scoring sense for that role and would never expect such a role himself at this stage of his career. His fans on the other hand...........

Old
04-23-2011, 09:58 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
too bad he didn't have the same reaction when the Bergeron line ACTUALLY SCORED against Gomez/Gionta/Moen earlier in the game, or again after that on the tying goal... by the time they got scored on in overtime, it was too late.

wonder if Pyatt/White would have stood around covering air the way gionta did on the game winning goal

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:02 AM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Moen was directly responsible for two goals in regulation, yet he's out there to start the Over Time period.
Martin loves his veterans and will always play them!

Here's hoping Montreal gets the W tonight!

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:02 AM
Dekar

So we're back to hating Martin again? Cool.

Anyone ever consider that Martin is playing match-ups, and that if he put Eller, White, Pyatt, Desharnais and any other 3rd/4th line guys out more often against Boston lines that they don't matchup well against, they'd be completely exposed and this series would be over in a hurry? Martin is setting these guys up for success and protecting them from failure by using their own strengths and hiding their weaknesses. He's being a good coach. You ever wonder why he has absolutely everyone buying into his systems? Any losses are almost always on the players.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote