HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Terry Murray Ready To Use Kopitar As An Excuse?

Old
04-23-2011, 12:34 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenRoyalty View Post
No. Not at all.

You can say it's an opinion all you like. However, given the context, anyone claiming that Murray was using not having Kopitar as an excuse would be lying through their teeth.
What an interesting choice of words you just made. In any event, since Kopitar was not in the question but was, in the manner he spoke it, in the answer, then we come to a narrow set of options. I am not sure why those that defend Murray here think that he is being attacked. He isn't. He is frustrated, probably very much so, and symbolically throwing his hands in the air and saying, "look, we are doing what we can without Kopitar". That is still an "excuse" but it's also normal and human nature. I just expect more from a coach whose primary role is to teach and motivate. That statement isn't consistent with either but everyone has that moment of tremendous frustration where they say things that may only be expressive of that state of mind within that moment.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 12:37 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
I only read the title and not the thread so if the topic has shifted or the title is misleading forgive me.

Zad your a lawyer, if a man murdered someone and then ate the remains would you advise him not to plead insanity?? Of course Murray is gonna use Kopitar as an excuse, its the best excuse out there....
You should ask DIEHARD that. He represents flesh eating killers.

Old
04-23-2011, 12:57 PM
Fishhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
What an interesting choice of words you just made. In any event, since Kopitar was not in the question but was, in the manner he spoke it, in the answer, then we come to a narrow set of options. I am not sure why those that defend Murray here think that he is being attacked. He isn't. He is frustrated, probably very much so, and symbolically throwing his hands in the air and saying, "look, we are doing what we can without Kopitar". That is still an "excuse" but it's also normal and human nature. I just expect more from a coach whose primary role is to teach and motivate. That statement isn't consistent with either but everyone has that moment of tremendous frustration where they say things that may only be expressive of that state of mind within that moment.
Perhaps. He is probably accustomed to the constant daily questions of "what's the plan without Kopitar" or "how will you replace Kopitar's production" etc. that he has heard for the last few weeks.

Either way, interview skills is not one of TM's strong points. I think he's a solid coach, but unless he's being really straight forward, it's hard to figure out what he's thinking most of the time. Sometimes I just can't help but get the feeling this spills over to his communication with players. I don't know if his system is just intricate or the positioning isn't communicated to the players, but almost every game there are one or two glaring head-scratchers with positional play. I know players make errors, but these are more situations where the player looks totally lost.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 01:18 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
I only read the title and not the thread so if the topic has shifted or the title is misleading forgive me.

Zad your a lawyer, if a man murdered someone and then ate the remains would you advise him not to plead insanity?? Of course Murray is gonna use Kopitar as an excuse, its the best excuse out there....
And now I am stuck visualizing TM as a flesh eating zombie who has some major problems as an NHL coach.

Thanks.

Really, when you think about it that really isn't a stretch.

Might actually explain a few things really...

GRANY WANT BrAINS!!!!! GO DO THING WHERE I BLAME YOU FOR MY INABILITIES!!!!!!!! GO DO DEFENCIVE BREAKDOWN!!!! BRAINS!!!!! YUM!!!!!!!! AAAAEERRRRRGGG!!!!

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 01:32 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenRoyalty View Post
No. Not at all.
... Well, that's enough for me. What other reason would Murray have to bring him up? Twice? Doesn't the media already know that Kopitar's out?

It reminds me of Rick Pitino years ago, when he took over the head coaching job of the Boston Celtics in the late '90s. Nobody brought up the past Celtic greats of the '80s, but Pitino out of the blue decided to say "Hey guys, Larry Bird isn't coming through that door. Kevin McHale isn't coming through that door. Robert Parish isn't coming through that door." And, sure enough, when Pitino struggled mightily and eventually failed to guide the Celtics to any success, that sound byte was replayed quite often. The fact that Pitino brought up those names out of the blue was an indication to many that he was making excuses for his future lack of success even before he started coaching the team.

If Murray is invoking Kopitar's name when questioned about his usage of the roster and about who dresses for the next game and who doesn't, that screams EXCUSE to me. What other reason would there be?

But, whatever. It's not even surprising. From the moment Kopitar went down, many here (including myself) felt like the injury would give Lombardi and Murray a ready-made excuse, thus keeping their jobs intact if they missed the playoffs or got hammered in them. His stubbornness, his refusal to change, his unwillingness to use what's at his disposal as a head coach until it's far too late, his unwillingness to make any adjustments to his lineup based on the play of his team and the play of his opponent ... as if all that weren't enough, now I have to hear "Kopitar is not coming back. So you play with what you got." Oh, and by the way, he's NOT using Kopitar as an excuse. Whatever. Terry can rest assured that all of us diehard Kings' fans already KNOW that Kopitar is out, so he can stop treating us like we're stupid any time now.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 01:40 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars H View Post
Be nice to hear the actual question -- maybe the reporter opened up with a reference to Kopitar.

That said, the Murray hate is ... an interesting phenomenon. Somebody should pay for for the people's suffering. Where's the nearest volcano?
That was not the case, I was at the news conference and the question pertained to juggling lines. The follow-up question was about Penner coming out of the lineup and he dodged it basically.

I don't think pointing to the absence of your best offensive forward AND your best defensive forward is making excuses. Given the situation, I thought Murray handled the pressers after both the last couple of games pretty well. I bet the team did not get the same courtesy in the closed-door session.

The main issue here is that they've had a similar dynamic two years in a row where their stout defense gets solved in the playoffs and the momentum slips away from them as the series goes on.

04-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
If you look at what he goes on to say, it's more like he was saying, "Hey, this is what we've got." He enumerates Moller, Harrold and Drewiskie as the guys he has available to indicate that a big change is not likely. He didn't say anything about Parse at that time but the next morning at practice he did, that's what will cause the big shakeup here and force him to choose between Penner, Poni and Moller tonight.

He already addressed the Schenn possibilities at length in San Jose, although it didn't seem to get picked up since I think it was just myself and maybe three other reporters that were present when he spoke about it in detail (big group there for the initial discussion though).

Last edited by Andrew Knoll: 04-23-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 03:05 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Knoll View Post
If you look at what he goes on to say, it's more like he was saying, "Hey, this is what we've got." He enumerates Moller, Harrold and Drewiskie as the guys he has available to indicate that a big change is not likely. He didn't say anything about Parse at that time but the next morning at practice he did, that's what will cause the big shakeup here and force him to choose between Penner, Poni and Moller tonight.

He already addressed the Schenn possibilities at length in San Jose, although it didn't seem to get picked up since I think it was just myself, Mark Purdy, Pierre LeBrun and one other reporter I don't know that were present when he spoke about it in detail (big group there for the initial discussion though).
That's fair. I have always respected your perspective and words.

Guess I will chalk it up to Terry's frustration.

Old
04-23-2011, 03:47 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
And now I am stuck visualizing TM as a flesh eating zombie who has some major problems as an NHL coach.

Thanks.

Really, when you think about it that really isn't a stretch.

Might actually explain a few things really...

GRANY WANT BrAINS!!!!! GO DO THING WHERE I BLAME YOU FOR MY INABILITIES!!!!!!!! GO DO DEFENCIVE BREAKDOWN!!!! BRAINS!!!!! YUM!!!!!!!! AAAAEERRRRRGGG!!!!
It's always the guys your least expect amirite?

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 03:48 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Yeah, I could understand your inference here but I just did not see it that way. Thanks for the kind words.

Old
04-23-2011, 06:49 PM
Skebo

Send a message via Yahoo to Skebo
I don't read TM's response as an excuse. I see it as an answer to a tired question. 'Coach, what kind of brilliant personnel changes are you going to make that will allow you to win 3 straight against the Sharks?'. In all probability, none of Parse, Harrold, Drewiske or Moller have what it takes to propel this team to win 3 straight against the Sharks.
But in the back of Murray's mind you know what he's been thinking since the 4-0 lead slipped away. IF, I had Kopitar, then Handzus and Stoll would be seeing less icetime. IF, I had Kopitar, then I would have somebody that can cover for Penner on the backcheck. IF, I had Kopitar is the answer to a lot a problems the Kings are having. Is TM making an excuse by the mere mention of Kopitar's name? Hardly. Can you blame TM for pining for Kopitar. Heck, no.

Skebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 08:51 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skebo View Post
I don't read TM's response as an excuse. I see it as an answer to a tired question. 'Coach, what kind of brilliant personnel changes are you going to make that will allow you to win 3 straight against the Sharks?'. In all probability, none of Parse, Harrold, Drewiske or Moller have what it takes to propel this team to win 3 straight against the Sharks.
But in the back of Murray's mind you know what he's been thinking since the 4-0 lead slipped away. IF, I had Kopitar, then Handzus and Stoll would be seeing less icetime. IF, I had Kopitar, then I would have somebody that can cover for Penner on the backcheck. IF, I had Kopitar is the answer to a lot a problems the Kings are having. Is TM making an excuse by the mere mention of Kopitar's name? Hardly. Can you blame TM for pining for Kopitar. Heck, no.
But he does have Richardson, who is playing awesome hockey right now and could easily have more ice time. Murray is also the one with Handzus and Penner paired together instead of Lewis, who is fast enough to cover for Penner.

Murray still has options available to him instead of crying about Kopitar breaking his ankle. He has done nothing to adjust to what the Sharks are doing.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 08:53 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
But he does have Richardson, who is playing awesome hockey right now and could easily have more ice time. Murray is also the one with Handzus and Penner paired together instead of Lewis, who is fast enough to cover for Penner.

Murray still has options available to him instead of crying about Kopitar breaking his ankle. He has done nothing to adjust to what the Sharks are doing.
My god, I just got it, you are becoming Kuurllino!!

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 08:58 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
My god, I just got it, you are becoming Kuurllino!!
Only since Kopitar is out. With Kopitar in the lineup, Handzus is back on the 3rd line. I just want the top 3 lines rolled without Kopitar, the Kings do not have a #1 center available, why try and force a player who cleary can't handle the ice time into the role?

Why is rolling 3 lines such a horrible idea?

Old
04-23-2011, 09:00 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Only since Kopitar is out. With Kopitar in the lineup, Handzus is back on the 3rd line. I just want the top 3 lines rolled without Kopitar, the Kings do not have a #1 center available, why try and force a player who cleary can't handle the ice time into the role?

LOL they are rolling 3 lines, hell, they are rolling 4 lines,

You do realize TOI is not something you can rely on when you say, "they aren't rolling lines" etc.... right?

Old
04-23-2011, 09:09 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:

The term "rolling" lines has a lot of play and interpretation in it. The third period of a game generally tells you the confidence level a team has in its fourth line, especially in close games and whether the coach will "roll" it. So far, I would say Murray is rolling 4 lines.

Old
04-23-2011, 09:12 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:

You do realize TOI is not something you can rely on when you say, "they aren't rolling lines" etc.... right?
Number of shifts would be a better indication imo.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:

Okay, fine, leave it at Richardson should get PP time.

At even strength, you are correct. I just think all three lines should get PP time. You and Murray don't.

Old
04-23-2011, 09:14 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Number of shifts would be a better indication imo.
By line, or individual? Individual, definitely, but # of shifts is all predicated on team discipline and how it pertains to special teams.

Old
04-25-2011, 01:05 AM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Richardson on the power play is not a bad idea, I don't think the line overall getting PP time is that hot of a notion though. Their offense is based on speed that creates rush opportunities and, in the slower game, winning tough board battles. It's not really based on skilled passing or shooting the puck from any distance.

Simmonds gets tick on the power play and he's among the least effective players a man up. He is very good even strength and can kill penalties but he's on the PP out of necessity. It's hard for them to put five good passers out there, which is what the good teams have two units of.

Old
04-25-2011, 01:14 AM
sjmay*

Hey Andrew,

Do you know if Terry Murray has addressed Greene about his untimely penalties? If not, any chance at the next press conference, can you bring it up, or is that beyond your realm? (I thought you had said you were at them or had access, not sure if you can pose questions though)