HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In praise of Shane O'Brien.

Old
04-22-2011, 09:55 AM
roseyc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
One pebble can start an avalanche.

O'Brien's bonehead penalty created the goal that put is in a hole in the first place, which resulted in us chasing Anaheim for 55+ minutes of that game. You're not going to win too many playoff games that way. A lot of guys did not play well, but the psychology (and performance) of the team would be radically different had we not given up the first goal, and we wouldn't have allowed the second goal that came right on its heels, either. To be down 2-0 in a playoff game not even five minutes in, even if you're able to pull one back quickly like we did, is incredibly difficult to come back from unless the other team just quits caring. You have to chase and press and take risks, and that leads to mistakes that run-and-gun teams like Anaheim can and will easily exploit. Even if O'Brien played well the rest of the night, the one bad decision he made put all the pressure on us from the outset.

If O'Brien keeps his head in the game and pays attention to what he's doing, we could be talking about a completely different hockey game. Hell, we could be talking about a completely different series if he didn't take that unnecessary slashing penalty in Game Two. But he didn't, and here we are, in an all-too-familiar situation, going back to Anaheim to face a Ducks team with all the momentum.
To put this series on SOB is ridiculous without we would be facing elimination tonight or the series would have been done. When you have a D like Klein out there staying lost all of the time and SOB is the only one that is standing up for his teamates. Beside that penalty at the start on Marchant was a dive pure and simple. Without SOB then Weber would have beat on and then beat on some more and that's not counting every offensive player that would have been beaten on

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:16 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I don't think SOB alone has cost us a game, but his stupid play has cost us the momentum at times. Momentum swings are HUGE in any game, but they are magnified by the play offs. Yes if you're going to be tough and stick up for guys you will take penalties. It's the idiotic penalties he takes because he's such a terrible defenseman that get to me. If it's a roughing call for retaliating against Perry after a cheap suckerpunch to a guy like SK I'm ok with it. I don't like the fact we're the only team going to the box, but that's on the refs, not SOB.

To say without a third pairing defenseman with average-or-below wheels, average positioning, and absolutely no hockey sense we would be behind or out of this series is ridiculous. If O'Brien hasn't done a damn thing to hurt us in this series then he certainly hasn't done anything to help us win games either. I like how he's the only defenseman who stands up for anyone, and how Klein is such a terrible player. I seem to remember Kevin Klein being the FIRST Predator to go after Perry for a game full of cheap shots. I guess you ignore certain plays depending on the number of the sweater involved. All of this ripping on Klein is funny. He has bad games, yes, but so does every other player on our team. He isn't the smartest hockey player in the world, but he quietly does his job for the most part. And he does it without a parade to the penalty box with a stupid grin on his face.

How SOB is protecting Weber from getting beat on is beyond me. Weber plays a solid 10+ minutes more than SOB every night, and they play on different pairings. Do you think that players look at our best skater and think "Well, we better not try to mess with his game because they have SOB on the bench over there grinning like a dolt"? I have news for anyone who thinks that SOB is really keeping any of our players from getting run. He isn't. Erat is finally out after taking shot after shot all series. Blum took a stomp. Peks took a rack. SK has been boarded and punched several times. Hornqvist is still taking punishment. It's the play offs and we're playing a team that seems to think "playing with an edge" means frequently stepping over the line into goon territory. SOB or no-SOB, we still will take the exact same crap. There are two ways to deal with it. Ignore it and hope it catches up to them, or dish it back and hope you don't take too many penalties. SOB has taken the latter route. That's a good thing to see. The trouble is he forgot to hope for no penalties...

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 11:47 AM
deanwormer

I firmly believe that, had Frankie come back before year-end but after Blum had proven himself, that SOB would be sitting. He's a 3rd-pair guy. He's good about coming over when one of their goons is picking on one of our skill guys. He's a good pair with KK on the PK. But his overall game is a 3rd-pair game and Frankie's is considerably better.

SOB has stepped up nicely when we needed him too. Now, we need him to keep his head on straight, be a strong stay-at-home presence, and stay the heck outta' the box. He's not doing ANY of that right now.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 04:42 PM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

He's a hothead and I for one like it! All I can remember from last year is you guys complaining that no1 would get angry and stick up for Hornz and the other players. And finally we get some1 that will do that everytime. Yeah he takes stupid penalties but I think it's worth it. Our team got bullied around all year last year and was a joke when it came to showing emotion and getting angry. Well SOB listened and delivered. I'm so sick of pansies on this team and SOB is no pansy. IMO. Go Preds!

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 07:36 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiralyPred View Post
He's a hothead and I for one like it! All I can remember from last year is you guys complaining that no1 would get angry and stick up for Hornz and the other players. And finally we get some1 that will do that everytime. Yeah he takes stupid penalties but I think it's worth it. Our team got bullied around all year last year and was a joke when it came to showing emotion and getting angry. Well SOB listened and delivered. I'm so sick of pansies on this team and SOB is no pansy. IMO. Go Preds!
Didn't see him (or anyone else) return Ruutu's favor on Erat.....Probably took a number.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:31 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
MUcking meathead....

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 12:12 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

He's still a meathead....

Old
04-23-2011, 12:28 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

The thing that hurts is that O'Brien has taken a minor penalty in EACH of the 5 playoff games. He did not do that in the regular season. To further complicate matters, a goal has been scored in 4 straight games off of an O'Brien minor.

Now, with that said, at least two of the minor penalties were horrible calls, but this trend cannot continue. He must get back to disciplined hockey.

04-23-2011, 12:44 AM
FlexinMyPeks
Impekkable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
The thing that hurts is that O'Brien has taken a minor penalty in EACH of the 5 playoff games. He did not do that in the regular season. To further complicate matters, a goal has been scored in 4 straight games off of an O'Brien minor.

Now, with that said, at least two of the minor penalties were horrible calls, but this trend cannot continue. He must get back to disciplined hockey.
Exactly. He has to know that they are going to call it. I think what irks me the most is that ****-eating grin he has on his face after the call.

FlexinMyPeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 02:09 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

SOB with a good game tonight. The penalty he took was dumb. He backs off physically controlling the play to fish for the puck, and when he gets beat so takes a trip. They score because it's SOB.

Otherwise I was glad to see him pull his head out of his ass. I'm sure watching your meals digest gets old after a while.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 02:43 AM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

So glad we won this game, otherwise, I was heading straight to this thread to again make my point. Still the most penalized player in the playoffs. Either in the box or on the ice for 2/3 of their goals tonight. Glad we won, so I guess he gets one more chance to prove himself. Don't f it up Shane.....

Old
04-23-2011, 03:03 AM
OpenWheel

I wish someone would change the title of the thread to reflect the more current tone... It's bugging me to read the title every day now. How about "Neutral at best on Shane O'Brien"? lol

Shane helped get them here though, I think he really helped out this season, despite the infuriating brain farts in this series.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 01:02 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
I'd rather have O'Brien over Franson. O'Brien has covered most all of Franson's mistakes REALLY well. Franson has been God awful the past 2-3 games. And the fact that he has only been burned once shows how good his d-partner has been at bailing him out.

Oh, and you want to see how valuable O'Brien is... Notice how NO ONE gets around Emery when the whistle is blown for us, but yet, when Pekka tries to cover the puck AT LEAST 2 of their guys are there, EXCEPT when O'Brien is out on the ice.

I hope we trade Franson, bring in Josi and let him play next to O'Brien next year while Boullion rides the pine as the 7th dman. O'Brien is the ONLY guy on our team that takes the body is the slot/crease. Well, our only dman since Fisher does it as a center.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:09 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
I'd rather have O'Brien over Franson. O'Brien has covered most all of Franson's mistakes REALLY well. Franson has been God awful the past 2-3 games. And the fact that he has only been burned once shows how good his d-partner has been at bailing him out.

Oh, and you want to see how valuable O'Brien is... Notice how NO ONE gets around Emery when the whistle is blown for us, but yet, when Pekka tries to cover the puck AT LEAST 2 of their guys are there, EXCEPT when O'Brien is out on the ice.

I hope we trade Franson, bring in Josi and let him play next to O'Brien next year while Boullion rides the pine as the 7th dman. O'Brien is the ONLY guy on our team that takes the body is the slot/crease. Well, our only dman since Fisher does it as a center.
Are you Obrien's agent or something? I don't know what you infatuation is with him. He's exactly as advertised - average positionally, somewhat tough, dumb, no offense, fun in the locker room/community.

When he's not playing dumb, it's he's an asset; when he is playing dumb, he can kill you.

He's been playing dumb for 5 games...

Diverting attention to Franson or other D-men is useless, because they are totally different types of players who have different jobs. Franson's value is about double Obriens, by the way.

Old
04-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Firestorm

Quote:

At least Franson has a decent snapshot...

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 08:11 PM
HalifaxHockey61
#50in15

I loved SOB on the ducks. Sometimes not too bright, but will literally do anything for the team.

HalifaxHockey61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 08:45 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Better game tonight from Shane. Probably his best game. If he plays like this, I'll take him (which was really how he played for most of the season). Somehow he reverted back to old self (the Vancouver self) in games 1-5.

Good to see Trotz "praise" his effort tonight. But he even admitted that he told Shane that he very well could be the person who gets the blame of the Ducks had won because of his bonehead plays.

Old
04-24-2011, 08:59 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

he's still a meathead...

gotta most definitely get it together before the next round

Old
04-24-2011, 09:11 PM
glenngineer

Got to agree with UTM on the O'Brien/Franson debate. While Franson has a good stick, he is scary to watch because you don't know if he's going to give the puck away or put a nice wrister on net. He is not that good on the defensive side of things. He needs to improve dramatically. While O'Brien takes dumb penalties, he also keeps guys off of Pekka which is something you need in the playoffs and if he's a good locker room guy, that's a plus too because they have to be serious but also need guys to keep it light in there as well.

They both have their issues but I have to side with keeping O'Brien in the sense that he takes PK minutes whereas Franson is only valuable in limited minutes and some PP time and since this team is built from goal on out, a defenseman that can play D is more valuable than a defenseman that is a liability in his own zone. I agree with UTM in that we should bring up Josi, pair him with O'Brien, let the Cube ride the pine and we'll all go Cody who in no time at all. Heck, you could pair Josi and Blum up together and let Klein and O'Brien play together or you could pair Blum with O'Brien and Josi with Klein. Any of those combos is more appealing than Franson on the back end.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 10:59 AM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears19 View Post
Are you Obrien's agent or something? I don't know what you infatuation is with him. He's exactly as advertised - average positionally, somewhat tough, dumb, no offense, fun in the locker room/community.

When he's not playing dumb, it's he's an asset; when he is playing dumb, he can kill you.

He's been playing dumb for 5 games...

Diverting attention to Franson or other D-men is useless, because they are totally different types of players who have different jobs. Franson's value is about double Obriens, by the way.
I can see you are alone in this debate since the entire coaching staff disagrees with you. I've heard Trotz mention NUMEROUS times that he is our best PKer.

Franson's value is NO WHERE CLOSE to double. They are actually about the same. Franson's minutes are limited to late in the game when we are down by 2 or on the PP. Pretty much EXCLUSIVELY those times. O'Brien's minutes are limited to when we are up by 1 or 2 and on the PK. Just listen to Crispy talk about O'Brien and how is a playoff performer and such a great team guy. I'm not sure how you miss all these great comments about him...

ALL physical dmen take penalties (it is why they consider 'great' power-forwards ones with 30 goals and 100+ PIM). If you walk the line of being very physical (and take a few penalties for it here and there), you can still be an average stay-at-home dman. I'm sorry that you can't see this because you miss out on so much.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 11:04 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

The thing I dont like about SOB is the the dumb stuff he does is within his ability to change.

franson cant change his lack of footspeed. You get his positives, and his negatives, and decide if the balance is a net plus.

SOB could be a very valuable player if he could eliminate the dumb/incredibly badly timed penalties.

he does do some things we really need, but the cost in stupid stuff almost nullifies his benefit completely.

in summary.... a meathead.

Old
04-25-2011, 11:35 AM
Firestorm

Franson is valuable trade bait though...

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:00 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

he was able to keep his **** together later on in the series (games 5 & 6), albeit after he had to have a private meeting with Trotz

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:11 PM
Greg1420

O.T. but- Kevin Klien! Great game 5 and 6! Most of the haters are harder on him than he deserves. Way to go Kliener!

Greg1420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 01:00 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
I can see you are alone in this debate since the entire coaching staff disagrees with you.
Did you not hear Trotz' comments? He said he told SOB that he could very well be the fall guy had we lost that series? Sounds like Trotz and I pretty much agree word for word. I think you are the lone guy endorsing him.

I already admitted that he'd played well last night, though. We won. Let's just move forward and hope the SOB from Game 6 is the SOB for the 2nd round.