HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Rosati: "For a one-game showdown, Montreal goalie Carey Price is your man"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-23-2011, 03:13 PM
  #51
Frankenheimer
Registered User
 
Frankenheimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: MTL
Posts: 1,896
vCash: 500
I thought Price played very well, actually. I don't understand this logic where if a goalie lets in five goals it automatically means the goalie was horrible. It's not a enough of a sample to make judgements on. Granted, you might only get four games to show yourself in the playoffs, but so far I think Price has played very well. Only goal I would consider bad was the third one in game three when he gave the puck away, but that's bound to happen when he handles the puck as much as he does, rightly or wrongly.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 03:21 PM
  #52
E = CH²
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 15,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
I thought Price played very well, actually. I don't understand this logic where if a goalie lets in five goals it automatically means the goalie was horrible. It's not a enough of a sample to make judgements on. Granted, you might only get four games to show yourself in the playoffs, but so far I think Price has played very well. Only goal I would consider bad was the third one in game three when he gave the puck away, but that's bound to happen when he handles the puck as much as he does, rightly or wrongly.
It's not just that it's 5 goals. It's goal #1 that was weak common a wrist shot from the boards like that shouldn't go in, heck it almost was a floater. And goal #3 he was weak on the rebound which created that goal. Hell Luongo is blamed for the Hossa goal in game #4. That was a much better shot from a much better location than the Ryder goal. If Luongo can be blamed there, remove your homer glasses and wonder if Price should be blamed for the first Ryder goal.

And then it's the fact he allowed 5 goals despite being given a lead to protect at 3 different times including a 2 goal lead mid way through the game.

So it's not about him giving up 5 goals, but clearly some of those were stoppable.

If you think Price played a solid game then you have lower expectations than me.

And game #3, stupid mistake on goal #3, and he was kinda weak on goal #2.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 03:31 PM
  #53
Frankenheimer
Registered User
 
Frankenheimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: MTL
Posts: 1,896
vCash: 500
I just think we analyze in a vacuum for the most part. Sometimes five goals happen and it's hard to pinpoint the cause in terms of someone playing well or not. It's certainly the easiest thing to point to, but it's not always the right conclusion to draw. The same is true when a goalie is given too much credit. I saw Price battling hard and being sharp. His usual game didn't result in allowing three or less goals this game, but the same mindset and play may very well result in that tonight. The narratives we build to explain normal and perfectly understandable variations in the game are just too simplistic in my opinion. I think Price played well and that some goals got by him due to the nature of the game, but that 7-8 times out of 10 the result would have been the one we were looking for. Not every variable can be controlled in a fast moving game like hockey.

Tonight he might not make ANY change to his game, yet allow only two goals, and there will be some that say Price was completely different, when in fact, some variability went the other way.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 03:46 PM
  #54
Shadyone33
Registered User
 
Shadyone33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
He had a bad game monday also. Until he comes up big in the playoffs,he definately can't be considered a great goalie. 7-13 playoff record with sv pct under .900.I hope he's not another one of these players (like Markov) that gets you to the playoffs and then wilts
I think he has played well. I see a lot of people stating it was his defense why he was good in the 1st 2 games, but no blame is placed on them when they lose the next 2. Sure Carey saw all the shots in game 1 but he was PERFECT that game. ZERO mistakes and yet it had nothing to do with him. All his defense. The one year he got swept out was an absolute disaster. Then he had a garbage 2nd round in his first year. Other than that he hasn't been as brutal as a lot of folks suggest. I agree that he needs to do more to be considered great. If we expect perfection all the time, we'll always be disappointed. Carey's been better so than he has in past playoff performances. I'd love for him to win this series, but I see improvement.

Shadyone33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 03:59 PM
  #55
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 9,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
I just think we analyze in a vacuum for the most part. Sometimes five goals happen and it's hard to pinpoint the cause in terms of someone playing well or not. It's certainly the easiest thing to point to, but it's not always the right conclusion to draw. The same is true when a goalie is given too much credit. I saw Price battling hard and being sharp. His usual game didn't result in allowing three or less goals this game, but the same mindset and play may very well result in that tonight. The narratives we build to explain normal and perfectly understandable variations in the game are just too simplistic in my opinion. I think Price played well and that some goals got by him due to the nature of the game, but that 7-8 times out of 10 the result would have been the one we were looking for. Not every variable can be controlled in a fast moving game like hockey.

Tonight he might not make ANY change to his game, yet allow only two goals, and there will be some that say Price was completely different, when in fact, some variability went the other way.
so right. applies to players aside from Price too. As an example, you have your #1 sniper on a breakaway with little time left in a tie game. Is that not the equivalent of making the big save to win the game? Or even a 2 min powerplay with about 2 mins left!!! That is where you win the game. But again, not as easy to blame. Thomas has been bad 5 hole and probably expected Cammy to go high glove, so his choice of shot can be defended. As for PP...well...I dunno what was up there.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 04:47 PM
  #56
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,465
vCash: 500
Sorry, but it makes no sense voting for Price in regard to the thread title. He's not the worst goalie....but he's not exactly proven in the playoffs just yet. You can't go for Thomas based on the fact that it's totally up or down as far as he's concerned. So you need a vet who's usually pretty stable so Miller and Lundqvist as to come to mind. Some could argue Luongo as to be there as well though lately he might not be the most obvious name. Another one who's not THAT old and has to be considered before Price, IMHO, is Ward. He did won that Cup. So Price has to be top 10....but clearly not #1.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:03 PM
  #57
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 9,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Sorry, but it makes no sense voting for Price in regard to the thread title. He's not the worst goalie....but he's not exactly proven in the playoffs just yet. You can't go for Thomas based on the fact that it's totally up or down as far as he's concerned. So you need a vet who's usually pretty stable so Miller and Lundqvist as to come to mind. Some could argue Luongo as to be there as well though lately he might not be the most obvious name. Another one who's not THAT old and has to be considered before Price, IMHO, is Ward. He did won that Cup. So Price has to be top 10....but clearly not #1.
Didn't we win a game 7 against Boston in MTL with Price. Shutout I believe?

I think the argument is if you even out all the defense in front of him, Carey is the calmest, the most technically proficient and solid. Also, that was written before the last two games. Carey definitely has to prove himself for the rest of the series, but I can understand why Rosati said that. I'm not nervous with Price in net. I'm nervous with what he's called in to do with the defensive lapses that are prone to happen in front of him. Either way, I think Carey is about to pull a Theo '02 and '04 and just take the bull by the horns (we know he's literally good at that).

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:26 PM
  #58
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Didn't we win a game 7 against Boston in MTL with Price. Shutout I believe?

I think the argument is if you even out all the defense in front of him, Carey is the calmest, the most technically proficient and solid. Also, that was written before the last two games. Carey definitely has to prove himself for the rest of the series, but I can understand why Rosati said that. I'm not nervous with Price in net. I'm nervous with what he's called in to do with the defensive lapses that are prone to happen in front of him. Either way, I think Carey is about to pull a Theo '02 and '04 and just take the bull by the horns (we know he's literally good at that).
1 game is not exactly proven....Listen, I'm not saying he is NEVER going to be THAT man. Just that RIGHT NOW, I play a 7th game in the Cup Finals, I am not going with him.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.