HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Grade the Season.

Old
04-23-2011, 04:47 PM
NYGRYK21
HFWF IC Champ

vCash: 500
Grade the Season.

If a mod could make this a poll that'd be good. Besides the series I thought we had a great year given the roster and the injuries and so on. So I give the season a B.

NYGRYK21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
I give it a B-. We have a lot of potential to be a good team. If we fill our center and PPqb needs, I think that we are going to be a 4-5 seed next year

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 04:51 PM
I Am Classless

C+.

Can't say expectations were any higher than a first round exit, but what we saw out of Gaborik and Del Zotto should leave us as fans at least a little worried going into next year.

I Am Classless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 04:52 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

I give it a C+. Alot of major positives, but just too many things that make you shake your head and wonder.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

B+.

Exceeded expectations, and yet was a disappointment at the same time.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
pwoz

F, no cup.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Everyone will say that the grade should be low because everyone wants to have a Cup contender, but the reality is that we are extremely lucky to have even made the playoffs.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 04:55 PM
HockeyStickHomicide
Registered Abuser

Solid B.

HockeyStickHomicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
3Four3

C+/B-

The defense keeps the score high. The offense keeps the score low.

If the power play - and offense in general - didn't fluctuate up and down like Boudreau's heart rate whenever he scoffs down a ham sandwich, I probably would have scored higher.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ThisYearsModel

C. Mediocre results. Out in round 1 in 5 games deserves no higher than that grade. Good future if a few key moves can be made together with the development of some kids.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rangers44*

Season A-
Coach F

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 04:58 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

B-

The impressive progress shown by Callahan, Staal, Dubinsky, Girardi, Anisimov, the confidence-inducing debuts of McDonagh and Sauer, and the continued excellence of Lundqvist was all very nice, but it cannot completely mask the fact that this club continues to lack the very pieces without which real success can not be achieved.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 04:59 PM
Emptyvoid

B. I'm proud of how this team played throughout the year, there are glaring holes to be filled however. Richards will fill two of the holes (#1 center and PPQB).

Hoping for a successful offseason now.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:00 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

I'd say A-.

Considering the injuries, the lack of production by key players, and the average age of our defense, it's tough to give this season anything less than a B imho.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
tomobson

we had no reason to be in the playoffs with the injuries we've had as well as the unproductive season of gaborik. the team showed grit and determination, and i can't wait till this june 1st. sather holds the key to our success here, and for the first time since his reign, we're pretty damn close. here's to hoping he pushes the right buttons for the first time.
we played pretty well against the caps, and if it wasn't for some bounces and controversial goals we could have gone into game 5 with 3-1 lead instead of it being the other way around.
A+

tomobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Muh
Beadle

vCash: 50
B. Did around what we expected, battled hard in playoffs. Just fell short. It was a fun ride.

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:03 PM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

vCash: 1187
B I thought this team made big strides in a team identity, and were finally starting to see youth pay off. Can't wait until next season!

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:06 PM
RangersDif

Well... I think we had a good season. Sure we didn't show up some games (read: this one, Atlanta etc.) but there were games when we were magic and showed how much heart we have. When we were down against the Penguins and shorthanded and still managed to take it to OT. When we turned 0-3 to a 5-3 win against the Bruins. 1-0 win against the Canucks. 7-0 against the Flyers, Toronto and the Craps. Those were some of the times when I was so happy.

I remember the first game of the season against Buffalo, I was so psyched and Stepan made a hattrick. Great, great game.
Or the game against Carolina that I was watching with a friend. He had fallen asleep only to be woke up by me screaming when Zuccarello made his first goal.

Boyle, Dubinsky and Prust were players that really stood out for me this season. Great players with lots of heart. They never give up and that's what I love about them.

That last game against the Devils was a ballbreaker and when Drury, who hadn't done **** all year came in on his first shift and scored I couldn't be any prouder. Lundqvist is and will always be a key to anything this team wins.

I could go on rambling for hours about this season, Prospals goal celebrations which made me remember how much I've missed him, Fedetenko coming back after being injured and always making great plays, Staal and Girardi always throwing themselves in front of shots, batteling to keep the puck out...

But one player always made me believe all year. The guy who I think want to have the big C when the Rangers open their season in Stockholm (finally! first Rangers game in many years), Callahan. He's a true fighter and a true player. Sure other teams have players like Crosby and Ovetchkin, but Cally, he's something else. He may not have as much skill but he sure as hell has more heart and will. Cally never gives up, no one on this Rangers team does.

So thanks for this season, because it has been wonderful, like always! I'm pretty down right now, I don't want to wait until October to see this team!

Always bleed blue...

RangersDif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:07 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

B. We made the playoffs, have developed some great team chemistry, and some guys really stepped up.

Marred by disappointment from Gaborik, Drury and even Frolov, and some of the other "dead weight" type of guys here. But we're close to having A seasons.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:07 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Solid meat and potatoes B from me.

It was fun. A hell of a ride. Got a lot of youth and made the dance.

'nuff said.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:13 PM
NikC

C+

2 in your last 47 on the PP? They over came alot with injuries all season, and they showed alot of guts. they really just lack offensive talent.

The failures are mostly on the coaching staff for their failure to affect
the powerplay all season long. Tortorellas just let these guys go out and play. they didn't change a thing all season.

another season of powerplay failure could see torts canned.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:16 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
B+ (with B being considered an "as expected" season).

I thought this team would compete for the final playoff spots (~7th-10th seed) but wasn't guaranteed to make it. That was also expecting a ~40g season from Gaborik and not so many injuries. We ended up in 8th after battling a lot more adversity than I expected, and got much more contribution from young guys than I expected (particularly Sauer, McDonagh, and Stepan). Overall, the season exceeded my expectations, even though it could've ended on a more positive note.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:17 PM
rangers1314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
Season A-
Coach F
Really? An F? Name the coach who was going to do more with what we have. Torts did a great job this season.

rangers1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrik4vezina30 View Post
If a mod could make this a poll that'd be good. Besides the series I thought we had a great year given the roster and the injuries and so on. So I give the season a B.
Do it yourself.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
B+.

Exceeded expectations, and yet was a disappointment at the same time.
This. We weren't supposed to be a playoff team and I feel better about the team after this season than I did after last.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote