HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Keep your Guts & Heart, I'll take skill any day.

Old
04-23-2011, 04:55 PM
HoosierDaddy

vCash: 500
Keep your Guts & Heart, I'll take skill any day.

Don't want to start a war, but enough with 4 3rd lines already.

Watching our plumbers playing their hearts out to no avail was not satisfying. To those of you who are pining to get rid of Gaborik, Wolski and Christiansen I say you're doomed to never seeing us win a Cup. I realize these three did not deliver, but relying on Boyle, Prust and Captain Valium to carry you is a recipe for disaster.

Heart and Guts is good, skill trumps both.

Flame away!

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 04:57 PM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
Watching our plumbers playing their hearts out to no avail was not satisfying. To those of you who are pining to get rid of Gaborik, Wolski and Christiansen I say you're doomed to never seeing us win a Cup. I realize these three did not deliver, but relying on Boyle, Prust and Captain Valium to carry you is a recipe for disaster.

Flame away!

Gaborik I can understand, but those two....

Skilled? Yes

Streaky? Oh **** yeah.

Rangers don't need those type of players.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 04:59 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:

Flame away!
To anybody with a clue it is obvious that the problem is 80% the coaching staff 20% personnel.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 04:59 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Quote:

Flame away!
Work beats talent, when talent doesnt work.

I agree we need more skill, but we have the best bottom 6 in the league.

Swept In Seven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:01 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

You need both. Alot of skilled teams that can't get over the hump would love to have our grit, so that grit is a big positive. We just have to improve the skill half now. That being said, I'd rather not keep going after big free agents. All the Cups lately are being lifted by homegrown kids. We need to find our own, and if it takes awhile then so be it.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:02 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

You need both, and this team is a skilled line away from being great.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:02 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
we have the best bottom 6 in the league.
And one of the best goalies. We see what that got us: out in the first round in five games.

The team needs talent. And more than just a Brad Richards who will be 32 in next year's playoffs.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:03 PM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
To anybody with a clue it is obvious that the problem is 80% the coaching staff 20% personnel.
I agree with you. Add the ownership and the GM.

I like this Ranger team, but they got rid of all their players capable of gaining the zones, which is why they have to dump and chase. But they don't have the personnel for that style.

Old
04-23-2011, 05:03 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
In my humble opinion, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You couldn't possibly be a poorer evaluator of talent.
I've said that about him before and <gasp> got on his ignore list.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:04 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
As cliched as it is, Guts and Heart are better. Last thing I want is a team of Zherdevs.

Bob Richards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:05 PM
OverTheCap

There's a big difference between inconsistent "skill" players like Wolski and Christensen and skilled players like Kane, Zetterberg, and Hossa, all of whom have won cups.

We rely on players like Wolski and Christensen to win us a cup, we are in gigantic trouble. Those aren't the type of skilled players that this team needs.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
Torts is the best coach we have had since I've been a fan (97).

Firing him would be a huge step back.

Baby steps. Did you really believe we are a great team?

Add some offense, get creative in a trade (prospects for a young forward as oposed to blowing our load on Richards)

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
McRanger23

It's not that the way we play is wrong, or the way they play is right, it's the teams that can find a middle ground that are reaaly successful. You have to tip your hat to the Capitals, there are a highly skilled team, but basically aal those highly skilled players equal the work ethic of their grinders.

That being said, it's obvious we need some more skill in ordr for us to get to the next level (Brad Richards)

McRanger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:06 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
And one of the best goalies. We see what that got us: out in the first round in five games.

The team needs talent. And more than just a Brad Richards who will be 32 in next year's playoffs.
Yeah, being past 30 really stopped Pavel Datsyuk from being one of the best in the game.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:08 PM
NikC

Quote:

Flame away!
if you're idea of talent is christensen and wolski, then we may never see a cup. Sather needs to work some magic in the offseason and bring some scoring power. Real scoring power, not retreads...

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:15 PM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
There's a big difference between inconsistent "skill" players like Wolski and Christensen and skilled players like Kane, Zetterberg, and Hossa, all of whom have won cups.

We rely on players like Wolski and Christensen to win us a cup, we are in gigantic trouble. Those aren't the type of skilled players that this team needs.
I totally agree, but, two problems:

1) we backed into the playoffs. The Canes win we're watching.

2) finishing 14th - 16th EVERY year guarantees we won't get a Kane, or Hossa. Maybe a Zetterberg if we're Hank lucky again.

The "style" the coach preaches is not conducive to a long run because your players are gassed ad banged up given their style of play. During the Renney "five in the picture" days we regularly led the league in least man games lost to injuries.

Old
04-23-2011, 05:15 PM
John Torturella

So who has more skill? Gaborik or Callahan? Obvious choice is Gaborik. Who would I rather have on my team? The more skilled player or the one one who busts his ass and lays it on the line each and every shift? The choice is easy.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:17 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Yeah, being past 30 really stopped Pavel Datsyuk from being one of the best in the game.
Sure. And it didn't stop Jagr either. That's not the point. The point is that Richards will not be enough - this team is too short on overall talent - and Richards is heading into his down years just as Jagr was when he got us into the second round of the playoffs for two consecutive years. In the end, what did that Jagr get us? Two second round exits.

I'm sorry all this upsets you.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:20 PM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
if you're idea of talent is christensen and wolski, then we may never see a cup. Sather needs to work some magic in the offseason and bring some scoring power. Real scoring power, not retreads...
I was referring to the Ranger roster. IMO they are among the better skilled players on the Rangers. Which is not saying much, I know.

He brought in Gabby who some will gladly throw under the bus for a lackluster season. What we need is a playmaker to get him the puck in scoring position, which we lack.

And I do not want another $7mm 5 year contract, so no thanks to Richards.

Old
04-23-2011, 05:23 PM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Sure. And it didn't stop Jagr either. That's not the point. The point is that Richards will not be enough - this team is too short on overall talent - and Richards is heading into his down years just as Jagr was when he got us into the second round of the playoffs for two consecutive years. In the end, what did that Jagr get us? Two second round exits.

I'm sorry all this upsets you.
This

We're getting there talent wise (farm). But short of bottoming out, we're going to have to use some chips to get the stud in the middle. No need to hitch you're wagon to a fading star.

Old
04-23-2011, 05:24 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
Work beats talent, when talent doesnt work.

I agree we need more skill, but we have the best bottom 6 in the league.
if our bottom 3 look like this next season:

Dubi - AA - Cally
Kreider - Stepan - Grachev
Hagelin - Boyle - Prust

I'll be happy

If our top line looks like this next season:

Fedotenko - Prospal - Gaborik

I'll kill myself.

If our top line looks like this next season:

Iginla - Richards - Gaborik

I'll look like Randy Marsh did when he finally got his internet back.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:25 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
So who has more skill? Gaborik or Callahan? Obvious choice is Gaborik. Who would I rather have on my team? The more skilled player or the one one who busts his ass and lays it on the line each and every shift? The choice is easy.
you need both to win in hockey. if this series doesn't illustrate that for you, nothing will. If this team had two more scorers and an actually Powerplay, we would have won this series with our work effort.

Regardless of how determined you are, a mazda will never outrace a mazaratti, regardless of how hard you put your foot to the pedal.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
Quote:

Flame away!
Gabs will stay, and not in favor of him leaving anyway

Wolski and Christiansen are neither heart and guts, nor skill. they're just garbage.

Theoren Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:26 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
I totally agree, but, two problems:

1) we backed into the playoffs. The Canes win we're watching.

2) finishing 14th - 16th EVERY year guarantees we won't get a Kane, or Hossa. Maybe a Zetterberg if we're Hank lucky again.

The "style" the coach preaches is not conducive to a long run because your players are gassed ad banged up given their style of play. During the Renney "five in the picture" days we regularly led the league in least man games lost to injuries.
backed into the playoffs? didnt the rangers win like 9 of their last 12 games or something?

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:26 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post

Exactly. Bolded part times a million. Any team will fail in the playoffs if they're forced to rely on players like that. They're not legit offensive leaders. Just cheap imitations of the real thing. You can't compare them to Ovechkin, Backstrom and Semin. The Capitals brought the talent and the hard work this series. You know, just the winning playoff formula since the beginning.

With the roster they iced today and all season, the Rangers put all their eggs in one basket with only one proven NHL offensive star in Gaborik, and he was innefective. Maybe Stepan is on his way, like Pierre suggested. Or maybe it's Kreider. Moving Gomez was a move that had to be made and it has helped the team. Now it's time to do something about the fact that a talent-starved team is paying Drury millions that could be going to someone who can actually produce offense.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote