HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off Season Talk Thread

Old
04-23-2011, 04:56 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshirt4lyfe View Post
aboslutely not. our window would all of a sudden shrink significantly if we did that.
I really don't understand the presence of any opposition to signing a 31 year old Richards without giving any assets when there are people looking to trade young pieces for a 34 year old Iginla.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 04:56 PM
beastly115

vCash: 500
only problem with making trades is that we only have one major albatross left on the roster and he happens to have a NMC. I wonder if the kings would be interested in trading schenn+ for gaborik, after their dismal playoff performance.

we dont really have any other big contracts to move out to bring in a 7M+ 1st liner.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 04:57 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
only problem with making trades is that we only have one major albatross left on the roster and he happens to have a NMC. I wonder if the kings would be interested in trading schenn+ for gaborik, after their dismal playoff performance.

we dont really have any other big contracts to move out to bring in a 7M+ 1st liner.
Personally, I don't think the Kings have any interest in moving Schenn. Can't say I blame them in the least, either.

Old
04-23-2011, 04:59 PM
beastly115

our window is the next 2 seasons, IMO. Our core is entering their prime. This season, force drury to retire. sign richards. at the trade deadline, blow our load (kreider + 1st etc) for another top end talent. we'd do some serious damage.

Old
04-23-2011, 05:04 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i have absolutely no doubts whatsoever that Gabby will be back to having a 40 goal season next year. NO DOUBTS AT ALL.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:05 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i have absolutely no doubts whatsoever that Gabby will be back to having a 40 goal season next year. NO DOUBTS AT ALL.
I want to believe that, because it is crucial. Hope you are right.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:06 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

I want to have this posted here so I can quote myself when I'm right.

Gaborik has been playing hurt, will have off-season surgery, and will score 40+ goals next year.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:06 PM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
That alone will help tremendously.

I pose a question to all of you here though. What are the major holes in this roster beyond #1 center and PPQB (these are obvious and have been discussed enough)?

We do not have enough consistent skill throughout the roster to play a different style, however with offseason development, getting Richards (hopefully) and other transactions, we may be able to play differently.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:07 PM
tomobson

off season plan: get chris drury to retire.

tomobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dantes19

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
We're at a point where we can't really rebuild, because of the age of our core, but also lack top end talent, because Jagr and Lundqvist carried us to the playoffs.

That's the downside of never have a true 'rebuild', so to speak. We were never in a position (except arguably the infamous 2003 draft) to grab that top-end player that serves as the offensive backbone of so many great teams.

Dantes19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rangers44*

Quote:
based on what? He looks like garbage out there, and on top of that he was not much of a playoff performer.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
This team is all depth and no high end. I disagree completely.
Where is this depth you speak of? Boyle and Prust are 3rd liners because they have to be. Ideally, we need a 3rd line that can generate pressure, as well as possibly another top 6 winger. I see Dubinsky being a center next season. I'd also like to see Stepan and Anisimov playing together or bring back the Dubinsky-AA-Cally line. If you personally want to see Drury-Christensen-Scrub be a line on this team next year, we'll be in the same spot. Also the 3rd pairing on D needs to be more mobile and be able to play more minutes. No McCabe, and Gilroy should be a 7th guy on this team.

If Dubi plays center, I think they should try this:

Wolski (to start)-Dubi-Gaborik
Anisimov-Stepan-Cally
Whole new 3rd line (UFA's, from within the system, traded players)
Feds-Boyle-Prust

I don't want Christensen and Drury near this team. I'd bring Prospal back for the 3rd line and be able to play PP time. Could also jump up to play with Gaborik. I'm not sure who will be available, but from within the system, Hagelin should be able to get a spot on the team. MZA could also find a spot on this team with his talent and skating ability. If Kreider decides to come out, he should be able to make the team as well.

We are also drafting 15th with the elimination in the 1st round. It's going to be interesting to see where they go with the pick, and it's most likely it won't be someone who can impact this upcoming roster, but they need to draft skill.

If you want to build a good team, we have to look at the team that just beat us. Matt Bradley, Boyd Gordon, and player of that ilk would be 3rd liners on this team, just like Boyle and Prust are. They play on Washington's 4th line cause they have depth players who are better then them on the 3rd line. Eric Fher didn't get into this series until Knuble got hurt, and he'd be a top 9 player on this team, instead he's a healthy scratch.

Hopefully Drury retires and this rebuild (cause that's what it really is) can go into full effect. If Sather stays away from the big price free agents and makes smart signings for depth, this team will be much better.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

I don't think our 'core talent' is going to be in prime over the next 3 years more so than the next 6-8. Anisimov is 22, Stepan is 21, McDonagh is 21, Staal is 24, Sauer is 23, Dubi is 24, Cally is 26. Kreider, MZA, Thomas, Grachev, McIlrath, etc., etc. These are all guys that will be around at high levels in 4-5 years and that's when they're really in their primes. If Richards was 28, I'd be all over the deal. He'll be progressively worse every year over the next 5. When guys like Stepan and Kreider and McDonagh are in their primes, I don't want to have 7 million locked in with Richards. Plus, I don't even think we can even fit him now as things are.

I totally agree that we lack top end talent but I don't think Richards makes us more than a 3-5 seed at best. We'll be at the point where a Richards type signing will make complete sense but I don't think we're there quite yet.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:08 PM
Black Aces

Alexander Semin? Just putting it out there.

Black Aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:09 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
That alone will help tremendously.

I pose a question to all of you here though. What are the major holes in this roster beyond #1 center and PPQB (these are obvious and have been discussed enough)?

We do not have enough consistent skill throughout the roster to play a different style, however with offseason development, getting Richards (hopefully) and other transactions, we may be able to play differently.
We need a d-man that can pass the puck. MDZ taking a huge step back hurt us big time there. We have no good puck moving d-men on the roster.

Old
04-23-2011, 05:10 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Aces View Post
Alexander Semin? Just putting it out there.
Nope.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

We have to shave the deadweight:

Drury
Gilroy
Wolski
McCabe

Trade Boyle while he is "hot"

Stick with Gabby one more year.

Give Cally the C and Dubi the A.

Bring MDZ back up - hopefully he can help our PP get in the zone.

Sign/trade a few missing pieces.

Overall not bad for a bunch of misfits.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:11 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gift of Gaborik View Post
I don't think our 'core talent' is going to be in prime over the next 3 years more so than the next 6-8. Anisimov is 22, Stepan is 21, McDonagh is 21, Staal is 24, Sauer is 23, Dubi is 24, Cally is 26. Kreider, MZA, Thomas, Grachev, McIlrath, etc., etc. These are all guys that will be around at high levels in 4-5 years and that's when they're really in their primes. If Richards was 28, I'd be all over the deal. He'll be progressively worse every year over the next 5. When guys like Stepan and Kreider and McDonagh are in their primes, I don't want to have 7 million locked in with Richards. Plus, I don't even think we can even fit him now as things are.

I totally agree that we lack top end talent but I don't think Richards makes us more than a 3-5 seed at best. We'll be at the point where a Richards type signing will make complete sense but I don't think we're there quite yet.
To compete, you need your core on good contracts. 4-5 year from now, our core will be approaching UFA age, and we won't be getting great value for them. That's why I think a 3 year window is reasonable. It doesn't mean we won't be able to compete after that, but it means we may need to see some more roster turnover at that point.

Old
04-23-2011, 05:12 PM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

Quote:
If he drops 40 next year you're getting a statue.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:13 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gift of Gaborik View Post

And 5 years ago we were saying, "When guys like Dubinsky, Callahan, and Staal are in their primes...etc."

And when Kreider, Stepan, and McDonagh are in their primes, we're going to have 3 more shiny prospects and it will be the same cycle all over again.

The core is in place. Staal. Girardi. Callahan. Dubinsky. Anisimov. All at, in, or near their prime. We need to compete before we lose our window. Richards gives us the best chance to compete while we still have a chance. We fill in the rest of the roster with guys like Kreider when they're still on their entry level contracts.

Look at Chicago last year. Most of their team was in their mid 20's. Same as ours is now. Difference is they have top end talent. Our core is in their prime. Sather needs to make a move.

Old
04-23-2011, 05:15 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Most players don't hit their primes until they're in their late 20s. These guys are nowhere near their primes yet.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:18 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
We need a d-man that can pass the puck. MDZ taking a huge step back hurt us big time there. We have no good puck moving d-men on the roster.
Yes to this. We took for granted he would be doing this season what he did last season, but setbacks happen. He'll be very important. Not watching Whale games, it's been a looonng time since I saw him play. I'm comfortable that it was the right decision to send him down though.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
gers*

imo we need to see what we could get for boyle. if signing richards is in this teams plans (i think we all know thats the case), we're looking at richards-stepan-anisimov as our top 3 centers. brian boyle is replaceable, especially as a fourth line center, which he would be if we get richards.

gers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Most players don't hit their primes until they're in their late 20s. These guys are nowhere near their primes yet.
In the past I'd agree that this was true, but with more and more young players entering the league since the lockout, especially for offensive players, "primes" are actually early to mid 20s now. Defenders probably hit their primes a bit later, but even this age is shifting lower.

Old
04-23-2011, 05:20 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

If semin is available, id definitely go after him. he's a shooter. we need guys who can shoot and put the puck in the back of the net.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote