HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thanks Rangers for a Great 2010-11 -- Can't Wait For Next Year!

Old
04-23-2011, 05:07 PM
FutureGM97

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Good season boys. Just wasn't enough...had some fun games this year and some real good efforts to be proud of. Couple of bounces and this series would have been different but thats how it goes sometimes. Here's to a fun offseason around here and a quick summer.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:09 PM
asphyXy

vCash: 50
I'm glad we didn't sell the farm to get any rentals. We knew that the cup wasn't coming this year. Take it at face value - this year was part of the rebuilding. Next year, who knows what rookies will make it right out of camp. Thomas, Kreider, Hagelin? Maybe even Valentenko on D? If Thomas' 50+ goals in juniors translate to 25 in the NHL, it's an improvement over what we have right now.

I'd love to finish last and get a couple of #1 overall draft picks, but we're classier than Pittsburgh.

asphyXy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:11 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Im extremely proud of the way this team played this season. For the most part they never gave up. Young team. They should continue to improve.

Thanks for a fun season Rangers.

September can't come soon enough.

LET'S GO RANGERS!!!!

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:12 PM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
This 10-11 team had to be the worst puck possession I've seen in recent years. Instead of improving over the years, this group is nowhere near the team we had of Jagr, Shanny, Straka, Nylander and ect. Defensively better, sure, but at the expense of so much offense, they will never be able to compete at the same level.

Get rid of Christensen, Wolski and McCabe at the very least, and at least TRY to get rid of Drury.

Bringing in some bona-fide scoring options may at least make us alittle competitive against a team like Washington. Anybody who thinks this series was "closer then it seemed" is out of their minds.

Theoren Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:16 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoren Fan View Post
This 10-11 team had to be the worst puck possession I've seen in recent years. Instead of improving over the years, this group is nowhere near the team we had of Jagr, Shanny, Straka, Nylander and ect. Defensively better, sure, but at the expense of so much offense, they will never be able to compete at the same level.

Get rid of Christensen, Wolski and McCabe at the very least, and at least TRY to get rid of Drury.

Bringing in some bona-fide scoring options may at least make us alittle competitive against a team like Washington. Anybody who thinks this series was "closer then it seemed" is out of their minds.
Honestly I think this Ranger team wasn't great. They overachieved a ton, so I am very proud.

Young guys will only get better. I have semi-high expectations next year.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:20 PM
Theoren Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Honestly I think this Ranger team was pretty bad. They overachieved a ton, so I am very proud.

Young guys will only get better. I have semi-high expectations next year.
They overachieved to get into the playoffs, but were quickly exposed against a high-end team which was rolling like the caps. I struggle to have any higher expectations till I see what they do in the off-season. Hank's just about as good as he's going to get and if we don't put a quality product in-front of him soon, the ship will have sailed

Old
04-23-2011, 05:35 PM
Scooter17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoren Fan View Post

This series WAS closer than it seemed. We could have easily been up 3-1 in the series going into today's game, but we didn't close out games 1 and 4. Hopefully lessons are learned.

Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:39 PM
eco's bones

A young group established an identity of a hard working self sacrificing team. I think this year Callahan established himself as the real on ice leader (apart from Henrik and with apologies to Staal, Girardi and Dubinsky) of the team. Losing him just prior to the playoffs hurt us a ton. You have to go with what you got though. Love the top 4 defenseman though we could use more of a puck mover--I want to keep all those guys for a long time.

Thinking that was probably Drury's last game as a Ranger and I thought he played well and hard but also noticed Torts hardly played him in the third period and I think it's because he wanted more offense--which is another telltale sign that his days with the Rangers are up. Good possibility that was Avery's last game too. The line of Boyle, Prust and Avery were our best line throughout the series.

McCabe can't keep up--too much of a liability against a fast team. Gilroy I thought did alright. Pushed the offense--wasn't terrible on defense. Prospal ran out of gas. And I think Stepan finally hit the wall--a lot of hockey for a first year pro out of college.

When you don't win--you have to make some changes. We/ve got a very good defensive core--need to add more offense. Gaborik has to play a lot better as well.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:42 PM
satrabyk

Im not really happy about the way the season ended. This team was strongest i think in Nov, Dec. Bad moves picking up W2, Prospal is done, i mean when you have Boyle playing the PP you no u have problems. Anyway as bitter as this season is to lose to a team coached by BB i guess im going to have to live with it. Next year can be good, but we need to make pretty big changes up front if we are to compete for the playoffs. We need to fill id say 3 top 6 forwards and idk were that will come from, via free agency, draft picks, development, i guess time will tell. The worst thing that could have happened is W2 scored today lol the way Sather operates the idiot. Im not ready to write of a guy like AA just yet but he did not provide the added Offensive play we needed from him, nor did Dubinsky. I think it fair to say they can make a good second line, the problem is we need if not 3 atleast 2 first line guys, meaning they can play a PP and produce 5 on 5. If we want to keep Gaborik around and see how he does with the new guys give it a shot, but i didnt like his compete level down the stretch and in the playoffs. Ill also say it again i would like to see MacT take Torts job. The guy is done.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:44 PM
trilobyte

There was always hope when tuning into Rangers games this season, and the reward for watching was always there.
Seeing progress in front of your very eyes is sweet indeed.

So many good players, getting better every day. A lot of these young guys are going to make me blink again next season, just like they did this year.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:46 PM
Death By BB Gun
#therightway

I really, really, really hope the power play gets some work done in the offseason. Major, heavy duty work. 1 for 19 in the series, 2 for 40-something in the last 15+ games and postseason.

I'd call it "bad", but that would be an insult to the word "bad".

Death By BB Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 06:00 PM
Theoren Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter17 View Post
This series WAS closer than it seemed. We could have easily been up 3-1 in the series going into today's game, but we didn't close out games 1 and 4. Hopefully lessons are learned.
Should we have closed out game 4? Sure... we did manage to get up 3-0 afterall, but losing that game defined this series as a whole. We had no business even being in the competition in game 1...

Having Lundqvist save each game from being a 6-0 disaster isn't what I call closer then it seems. For every 35 quality chances Washington had, we get 1 rush up the ice where we lose puck possession in 10 seconds isn't what I call closer what it seems. For the most part of this series, we looked like an AHL team trying to play an allstar squad.

Old
04-23-2011, 06:11 PM
NYR89

I loved everything about this squad this year. By far, this was the most fun team I've ever had the privilege of following. Looked forward to every single game. Guys like Callahan, Dubinsky, Girardi, Staal, McD, Sauer, Zuccarello, Lundqvist, Boyle etc. etc. really made this season a blast.

I'm excited to see what they do this summer. The next 2-3 years could be a real treat for Ranger fans. The core is there. The goalie is there. The defense is there. Now they just need to find the right fits on the offensive side and you've got yourself a real dangerous, cup contending team.

NYR89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 06:52 PM
DMPD
Offseasons Greetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoTheBlue View Post
Good year. A step forward but lot's of work still needs to be done. This off season there's going to be some hard decisions to make and some glaring holes to fill.
I hope to fill some holes this summer as well.

04-23-2011, 06:54 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphyXy View Post
I'm glad we didn't sell the farm to get any rentals. We knew that the cup wasn't coming this year. Take it at face value - this year was part of the rebuilding. Next year, who knows what rookies will make it right out of camp. Thomas, Kreider, Hagelin? Maybe even Valentenko on D? If Thomas' 50+ goals in juniors translate to 25 in the NHL, it's an improvement over what we have right now.

I'd love to finish last and get a couple of #1 overall draft picks, but we're classier than Pittsburgh.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 06:57 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Just like the Rangers, i've been unable to do that effectively.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 06:58 PM
DMPD
Offseasons Greetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Just like the Rangers, i've been unable to do that effectively.

lol!

Just use the Sather method, throw lots of money at them. Eventually you will hit a home run.

DMPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 07:01 PM
DoTheBlue
Great Expectations

Quote:
So you're into golfing?

DoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 07:04 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Quote:
So you're into golfing?

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 07:04 PM
DMPD
Offseasons Greetings

Quote:
So you're into golfing?
haha

Of course...

DMPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 07:11 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
lol!

Just use the Sather method, throw lots of money at them. Eventually you will hit a home run.
This man speaks the truth.

But yes it was a good season. This is a step in the right direction, a good offseason and we're even closer to being a Cup contender.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 07:14 PM
polako

Most fulfilling season since 05-06.

Congrats to the boys on a wonderful season that saw 3 of them step into game-changing leaders (Dubi, Cally, Staal), 3 rookies firmly establish themselves (Stepan, McD, Sauer), and a world-class goalie prove once again that nobody tries and cares more than he does.

It sucks to watch them drop out of the POs so quickly, but it's a great learning experience for some of the younger guys. This summer will be such an interesting one to watch.

I'm really curious to see what happens with Drury and Wolski. Combined, they really make a dent in the salary cap, and if that money is invested wisely, this becomes a much better hockey team.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 08:08 PM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

Let's Go Rangers!!!!!

BKBlackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 08:46 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATCHAMALA11 View Post
Players dead to me...

EC - good in shootouts. Sucks in real life.
Boyle - will never have a season like that again and he's soft as ****.
Gilroy - *****
Prospal - getting old and slow
Drury - he can come back and take face-offs for league minimum if he wants.
WW - Zherdev 2.0
Frolov - Zherdev 3.0
McCabe - our pp looked worse if possible since he arrived.
Think your giving up on Boyle pretty quickly, he has basically played just over 2 full seasons.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 08:46 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by polako View Post
Most fulfilling season since 05-06.
I would say the most fulfilling since 1996-97, maybe even 1993-94.

1995 was disappointing in part because of the lockout, in part because a Stanley Cup winner finished 8th and then got swept in the second round. They even traded a first round pick for Verbeek just to make the playoffs.

Next year, 1995-96, the Rangers made multiple trades costing them Zubov, Norstrom, Nedved, etc., and the result was that they played only one more game in the playoffs than the year before. The Rangers were on pace to win the President's Trophy as of February 1, 1996, and then collapsed, which is what led to the Norstrom, et al for Kurri, McSorley trade.

1996-97 was a sign of things to come, with the team struggling to make the playoffs most of the year. They made it, and played really well against the Panthers and the Debbies, beating each in 5 games. Then they won a game away in Philly, and I was really hopeful that they could go to the Finals. They were 1-1 after the first pair of games away, so why not be hopeful?

The Rangers returned home and failed to win a playoff game not just that series, but for the next 10 years. The Rangers went from 1997 to 2007 without winning a playoff game. In May 1997, I would've said it will be impossible that it will happen.

It was nice to see the Rangers do well in 2007 and 2008, but you had to have known that the team is not going to be ready to contend very soon unless every prospect reached his outmost peak potential.

Right now, it's different. The number of young players and prospects is just staggering.

If it's not Thomas, then it's Fasth or Zuccarello. If it's not Kreider, then it's Grachev or Horak. If it's not Hagelin, then it's Bourque or Werek. If it's not McIlrath, then it's Valentenko or Kundratek.

That's a lot to look forward to. If the Rangers can add one first liner, one second liner, one third liner, and one tough defenseman like Vtank or McIlrath - plus MDZ will become a good OD - then we are Cup contenders.

I think that's a reasonable expectation.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote