HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off Season Talk Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-23-2011, 05:21 PM
  #176
azrok22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gers View Post
imo we need to see what we could get for boyle. if signing richards is in this teams plans (i think we all know thats the case), we're looking at richards-stepan-anisimov as our top 3 centers. brian boyle is replaceable, especially as a fourth line center, which he would be if we get richards.
We should be seeing what we could get for all of our players -- no one is untouchable for the right price. Of course, for some players, that price would be exceptionally high.

Boyle definitely shouldn't be traded for the sake of trading him, but given a respectable offer, you'd be stupid not to explore a trade given the fact that his trade value is the highest it has even been.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:21 PM
  #177
beastly115
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Most players don't hit their primes until they're in their late 20s. These guys are nowhere near their primes yet.
I disagree with this. In the cap era, guys seem to be hitting their prime in their early to mid 20's. Our core is entering that stage now. If we wait, our core gets to UFA and we can no longer afford them. We need to strike while we have them locked up to reasonable contracts and they're about to enter their prime.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:24 PM
  #178
mike14
Registered User
 
mike14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne
Country: Australia
Posts: 4,565
vCash: 500
It's going to be an interesting off season:
- what will happen with Drury and Avery
- Can they get the pack line signed to reasonable contracts
- Are the rangers happy with AA and Stepan or are they going to try and move one to improve somewhere else
- Will WW be back
- Will they try to move some D depth for help up forward
- Can MDZ rebound
- What UFAs will be targeted?

The Rangers can go one of several ways depending on where Slats and Torts really think the team is at. I have a suspicion that they are going to start rolling the die

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:30 PM
  #179
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,217
vCash: 500
Just find a way to get at least 2 scorers, I don't know how but just do it. The rest of the team is in good shape, we just need a real 1st line, not 3 second lines.

__________________
New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:32 PM
  #180
msv957
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
seriously. this team needs some top end talent, BAD. I'm starting to think Richards might not be enough. im sick of watching this pathetic offense.
This team scored the 11th most goals in the NHL. This is far from pathetic.

I think if they sign Richards it would mostly likely get Gaborik scoring at the 40 goal level again.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:34 PM
  #181
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs
 
mrjimmyg89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,925
vCash: 500
I thought Semin signed a one year deal to stay in Washington? How could he be available outside of trade?

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:34 PM
  #182
Machinehead
Moderator
Hanta Yo
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 43,674
vCash: 50
If the Rangers could sign the Cole Train from Gears of War I'd be all over that

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:36 PM
  #183
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,217
vCash: 500
Whoever offered up Semin is insane.

Besides the fact he signed a one year deal with WAS he is as enigmatic as Gaborik and Zherdev combined.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:38 PM
  #184
bleedblue94
Registered User
 
bleedblue94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,238
vCash: 500
deadweight that needs to be gone:

mccabe
gilroy
avery
drury
wolski
christinsen
boogard (cap hit still there)
frolov (still part of the roster)

please get this group out of here!!!



the remaining guys that i wouldnt shed a tear about are:
boyle
eminger
anisimov (as PART of a deal for some higher end established talent)
gabby (only the right deal)


even if the first group is purged then that would free up significant money. obviously its not as easy as we all hope, but i can hope none the less

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:38 PM
  #185
FATCHAMALA11
Kneel Before Zod
 
FATCHAMALA11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i have absolutely no doubts whatsoever that Gabby will be back to having a 40 goal season next year. NO DOUBTS AT ALL.
I agree. I guarantee he has some kind of surgery shortly. He didn't look right all year physically.

FATCHAMALA11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:39 PM
  #186
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,065
vCash: 500
The Rangers absolutely NEED Michael Del Zotto to come out and be improved beyond what he was as a rookie. Not having him this season really what brutal for both the offense and the PP. It also wasted us a 3rd round pick (McCabe).

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:42 PM
  #187
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
This team scored the 11th most goals in the NHL. This is far from pathetic.

I think if they sign Richards it would mostly likely get Gaborik scoring at the 40 goal level again.
yeah, the problem is that number is slighly skewed because the rangers had 10 games where they scored more than 6 goals, that drastically skews the numbers. The team lacks consistent scoring, and consistent offensive threats. A lot of our offense were from sources you just can't count on, like Boyle & Prust.

Your horses have to lead you, our 3 highest paid forwards coming into this season had a COMBINED 30 goals, and 39 assists, most of which came off the stick of Gaborik. 17 million dollars + on offense can not give you less than 70 points of offense, that is absolutely sickening.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:43 PM
  #188
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATCHAMALA11 View Post
I agree. I guarantee he has some kind of surgery shortly. He didn't look right all year physically.
Gaborik hasn't looked right since the Olympics last year. In fact Gaborik has had 29 goals in his last 80 regular season games. 30 goals in his last 84 games.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:43 PM
  #189
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Blueshirt Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,263
vCash: 500
My off-season wish is for Sather to retire.

Then Drury

__________________
WIN NOW
Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:44 PM
  #190
mike14
Registered User
 
mike14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne
Country: Australia
Posts: 4,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
The Rangers absolutely NEED Michael Del Zotto to come out and be improved beyond what he was as a rookie. Not having him this season really what brutal for both the offense and the PP. It also wasted us a 3rd round pick (McCabe).
I don't think the 3rd was 'wasted' because every GM aiming at the playoffs will make that trade. It didn't work out (McCabe was disappointing) but well worth a try.

It's going to be interesting with MDZ. Do you break up part of the top 4 in order to give him a steady D partner, do you sign a vet D to partner him, do you try him with a rookie or Gilroy or do you start him in Hartford?

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:44 PM
  #191
Black Aces
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
Whoever offered up Semin is insane.

Besides the fact he signed a one year deal with WAS he is as enigmatic as Gaborik and Zherdev combined.
That was me. Sorry, I was unaware that he had signed with them. I dont have the ability or time to follow the league as closely as I used to. I did bring him up because we need more talent up front.

He is much more consistant than Zherdev and Gaborik just had a down year.

Black Aces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:45 PM
  #192
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs
 
mrjimmyg89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
The Rangers absolutely NEED Michael Del Zotto to come out and be improved beyond what he was as a rookie. Not having him this season really what brutal for both the offense and the PP. It also wasted us a 3rd round pick (McCabe).
He needs to be the offensive Del Zotto from last year. He was a lot better on defense this season, but his lack of offense led to his demotion. I'd rather of had him over McCabe in terms of his skating ability, but McCabe was a big reason why the Rangers made the post season and also why they were eliminated.

He needs to be able to lead the powerplay. He needs to be the QB he was the year before. He also needs to get better on defense. I honestly think he makes the team next season, because he will come in with the mindset that he CAN and WILL be in the AHL if he doesn't play well. He is also 20 years old and we'll see if he can make the next step.

He doesn't have a big shot, but he needs to be able to get it to the net on the PP. That's what fails this team right now, and it needs to be addressed.

I'd be all over them having him and either Valentenko or Kundratek be the 3rd pair on defense. I know it makes the defense wet behind the ears, but you have to find out if these kids can perform in the NHL.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:47 PM
  #193
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Aces View Post
That was me. Sorry, I was unaware that he had signed with them. I dont have the ability or time to follow the league as closely as I used to. I did bring him up because we need more talent up front.

He is much more consistant than Zherdev and Gaborik just had a down year.
No worries at all.

But trust me a guy like Semin would drive this entire board crazy, he is your typical Russian player stereotype, a hell of a lot of skill, but doesn't always bring it with him to the rink.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:52 PM
  #194
TrollololBoyle
Registered User
 
TrollololBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 2,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
He needs to be the offensive Del Zotto from last year. He was a lot better on defense this season, but his lack of offense led to his demotion. I'd rather of had him over McCabe in terms of his skating ability, but McCabe was a big reason why the Rangers made the post season and also why they were eliminated.

He needs to be able to lead the powerplay. He needs to be the QB he was the year before. He also needs to get better on defense. I honestly think he makes the team next season, because he will come in with the mindset that he CAN and WILL be in the AHL if he doesn't play well. He is also 20 years old and we'll see if he can make the next step.

He doesn't have a big shot, but he needs to be able to get it to the net on the PP. That's what fails this team right now, and it needs to be addressed.

I'd be all over them having him and either Valentenko or Kundratek be the 3rd pair on defense. I know it makes the defense wet behind the ears, but you have to find out if these kids can perform in the NHL.
He knew he had to improve on offense this year, so he knew he had to shoot the puck a lot more. I think he was trying to hard to do that and not getting the results he wanted, thus losing some confidence which led to his demotion. He will make the team out of camp next year for sure.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:55 PM
  #195
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,232
vCash: 500
one of the rangers UFA Fedotenko MUST be brought back. he is only 31 so a 2 year deal wont be so bad. 1.5 per year 2 years. Feds is a winner.


if sather fails to do so, it will hurt. remember when he was out of the lineup. the team didnt look good. same with cally. teams need players like this to win.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:22 PM
  #196
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,100
vCash: 500
Richards alone isn't going to cut it. Lundqvist isn't getting any younger and you feel for the guy. It's time to put the final pieces together to be a true contender.

Again, you see what you can get for Gaborik. You don't push it though. However, his play warrants the idea to explore what you can get. You do the same with Anisimov, you don't win playoff games with soft players like him. He is useless along the boards and is easily knocked off the puck. I don't care how old he is; that's the way he was taught the game and is going to be hard to get rid of that habit. Wolski is in the same boat as these two. However, I think a team with more skill will mesh better for a player like Wolski.

In UFA outside of Richards you have to see what else you can pluck at a reasonable price....Jokinen, Leino, Sullivan, Gagne, etc are all possibilities.

Have to deal with the Drury cap hit. See what can be done there.

Replace McCabe with a Pitkanen, Wiesnewski, Erhoff, Babchuk, or a Markov at very cheap b/c of how prone to injury he is.

Jokinen/???-Richards-Gaborik (if you can't find a good deal to move him)
Dubinsky-Stepan-Callahan - all american line.
A top 6 like that(try trading arty for another cheap scoring winger if you can)...

as far as your D:

Staal-Girardi
Babchuk/Wiesnewski/Pitkanen/Markov-Valentenko
McDonagh-Sauer

Gilroy as 7th

From our UFA's I'd keep Fedotenko.

I don't know, but to me the time has come to get another impact winger via trade. I feel something substantial is going to happen on draft day in terms of trade. This is where Anisimov plays a role. Then you look at Richards in July.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:28 PM
  #197
JeffMangum
#corgi
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 59,227
vCash: 50
Wisniewski, Leino, Markov, Gagne, hell no to all of these players, Wisniewski in particular. He'll come here after getting a 4m dollar contract, and completely blow, he just has the stench of one-year wonder. I like Steve Sullivan, though, as he'll likely be relatively cheap, he's a veteran, and he can score goals. Jokinen if he's cheap enough would be solid as well.

__________________
Soon.
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:34 PM
  #198
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Wisniewski, Leino, Markov, Gagne, hell no to all of these players, Wisniewski in particular. He'll come here after getting a 4m dollar contract, and completely blow, he just has the stench of one-year wonder. I like Steve Sullivan, though, as he'll likely be relatively cheap, he's a veteran, and he can score goals. Jokinen if he's cheap enough would be solid as well.
Im not a fan of Gagne as his best days are behind him. His skating is shot. I've said this numerous times before. Just listing examples.

If we're nitpicking I LOVE Sullivan. I like Jokinen, and Leino too.

Defensively I'd like Babchuk, followed by Markov at a very cheap contract, followed by Pitkanen.

But I think we need another possible star caliber impact winger. I want us to use Arty, draft picks, and maybe another prospect on draft day.

The offense should be built around Gaborik(if he isn't traded), Richards, and this unknown winger we aquire via trade. I really feel a big impact move comes on draft day.

And it's time to drop the pipe. Wiz isn't going to make 4 million. These are the same people that said Boychuk is going to make more than Jeff Finger

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:37 PM
  #199
JeffMangum
#corgi
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 59,227
vCash: 50
I would be an advocate of trading one of Stepan/Anisimov + picks for a high end winger.

If Babchuk took 2m of under, I'd consider him too.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:37 PM
  #200
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,978
vCash: 500
Something about seeing Jokinen on the back of a ranger jersey again might trigger something dark and dangerous in my subconscious.

__________________
"I have something better than proof: I have anecdotal evidence."
Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.