HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grade the Season.

Old
04-23-2011, 05:19 PM
John Torturella

vCash: 500
Ill give it a B. If you would have said that the Rangers would have made the playoffs with McDonagh and Sauer as their number 3 and 4 defensemen last August, you probably would have been laughed off this site. Some really positive things went down over these 87 games. Its only gonna get better from here. Make a smart move this offseason, combined with the current group and this team is a threat.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:19 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

C+

Slightly better than average....

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:21 PM
dedalus

I called a 7th-8th seed with a first round exit, so they matched a prediction of mediocrity.

Grade: C

After a decade at the helm, well done, Glen.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:25 PM
EEDAWGZ

C , we Barely made the playoffs, no different than last season , other than the Lightning saving our ass. Please no more waiver wires on the first line!

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Dustin Peener
Popular demand

vCash: 465
A-

before the season started everyone was looking at the roster and saying we would be a lottery team, and you would think with all the injuries we had we would have been dead and buried, but all the AHL call-ups did an excellent job when called upon and other players stepped it up. Overall I think the team greatly exceeded expectations and I am very pleased with what we have achieved and the future is looking very promising

Dustin Peener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:26 PM
rangers1314

Torts did as good of a job as anyone could have given what he had to work with.

rangers1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:28 PM
OverTheCap

I'd give it a B. Our young players are coming along quite nicely and they performed admirably despite all the injuries we suffered this year.

But the underperformance of Gaborik leaves with me that all too familiar feeling of concern that Sather may have screwed up with another bad free agent signing. Also, yet another year goes by without a 1st line center or a capable offensive defenseman. Not going to have much success with gaping holes likes that.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:33 PM
DoTheBlue
Great Expectations

B for better than I expected.

DoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:50 PM
thewaitingisover

Overall, I'm gonna go with a nice B+ for the actual season. Nobody expected much, most major sports publications had them as a 10-13 seed. The first round, however, looked more like a C-, averaging out to a high C, low B.

thewaitingisover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Orr Nightmare

A - Hank, Cally, Sauer, Prust

B - Staal, Giradi, Dubi, McDonagh, AA, Feds, Stepan, Boyle, Prospal, Biron, Torts

C - Avery, Wolski, Gilroy, Eminger, Zucc

D - Christensen, Gabby

F - Boogaard, Drury, McCabe, Frolov

Overall, B...a lot of people didn't expect them to make the playoffs and I would have prefered they didn't. Would have preferred to get a better draft spot but at the end of the day our young guys will learn from this and hopefully that sting of losing and being embrassed by the tools in D.C will fuel them to come back hungier and nastier.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

C+ relative to winning it all. That's all I can give for being all but swept in the first round. We were IN every game.

B+ relative to my expectations, which were a .500 team with a shot at making the playoffs.

So, not terribly unhappy and not really surprised.

Sather gets F for FAILURE.

04-23-2011, 06:22 PM
bscharf

If you truly know hockey you have to be thrilled with this season.

Sauer/Mcdonaugh Proved they are studs.

Henrik proves hes the best in the league time and time again

Home grown players (dubi-arty-cally) shine and all set personal bests

Stepan shows he is a legit talent.

No terrible deals at deadline

Redden OFF THE BOOKS

And a playoff appearance.

DEVILS COLLAPSE EARLY AND DONT MAKE PLAYOFFS

IF THAT ISNT AN "A" SEASON WHEN WE WERE PROJECTED TO FINISH 10-12th THEN IM NOT SURE WHAT IS.

bscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 06:22 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Sather does not deserve an F. He had a good draft (Thomas, Fasth, Yogan); he acquried Zuccarello and Wolski who may (or may not) become important parts of the team; his trade of Sanguinetti for a second and sixth looks great now; he didn't trade any future away except a third round pick.

The Rangers added more to their future this season, and that's a good thing.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 06:36 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Sather does not deserve an F. He had a good draft (Thomas, Fasth, Yogan); he acquried Zuccarello and Wolski who may (or may not) become important parts of the team; his trade of Sanguinetti for a second and sixth looks great now; he didn't trade any future away except a third round pick.

The Rangers added more to their future this season, and that's a good thing.
I'll agree that Sather has been "better" of late. But as a long-time fan I cannot give him a "pass" any longer.

A 12 year tenure and we stumble into the playoffs. Not acceptable.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 06:42 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscharf View Post
If you truly know hockey you have to be thrilled with this season.

Sauer/Mcdonaugh Proved they are studs.

Henrik proves hes the best in the league time and time again

Home grown players (dubi-arty-cally) shine and all set personal bests

Stepan shows he is a legit talent.

No terrible deals at deadline

Redden OFF THE BOOKS

And a playoff appearance.

DEVILS COLLAPSE EARLY AND DONT MAKE PLAYOFFS

IF THAT ISNT AN "A" SEASON WHEN WE WERE PROJECTED TO FINISH 10-12th THEN IM NOT SURE WHAT IS.

http://rangeraudit.wordpress.com/201...o-the-future//

This is a review of the season that isn't based on the emotions everyone is feeling right now over the team's elimination.

Last edited by Beacon: 04-23-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 07:03 PM
RangerBlues

B+ Almost exactly what I expected from the season.
The future is bright!

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 08:16 PM
dynamoovechkin

Overall B-, upgraded from C+ due to consistent overall play despite injuries. Two of our top 3 players, Drury and Gabby either terribly underperformed or were MIA due to injury. Del Zotto had the worst sophomore slump I've ever seen. Roszival was finally run out of town for underachieving skill forward Wolski, who showed flashes and little else. The Boogard signing was a huge bust as well as Frolov. Zucca was given the gift of a look with the big club and despite a couple of shootouts, did little to justify management's confidence in him.

On the positive side, McD and Sauer looked great and I was thrilled about it. We found ourselves a competent backup. Callahan crystallized himself as the heart and soul of the franchise. Henke- great again. Boyle, against all odds resurrected his NHL career and Prust- utterer of the now legendary "It's just pain", became a monster on the PK with his hard work and goal scoring! Even coach found a kinder, gentler side and wasn't the prickly A- hole we saw in the last two seasons. Girardi finally got some recognition around the league as a shot blocker and defensive defenseman.

Finally our leader scorer Dubi took a step up this year in both play and leadership, even though he is most suited to a second line role.

With this team we finally saw some heart and character, but to make the 8th spot on the last day of the season and be dispatched in 5 in the first round- I'm deeply disappointed. B- is being charitable.

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 08:20 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
This is a review of the season that isn't based on the emotions everyone is feeling right now over the team's elimination.
Because if your review of the season is anything less than stellar, it can only be the product of emotion?

In truth, those who are assessing the season as a good one generally aren't assessing the season. They're projecting their hopes for the future onto the present. You can see this precisely in your link, especially here:

Quote:
3. Rookies Outperform Expectations

The prospect nobody is paying attention to who may be a key part of the future is RW Jesper Fasth. [snip] LW Roman Horak [snip] Another 2010 draftee that is exciting a lot of people is RW Christian Thomas [snip] LW Evgeny Grachev started as poorly as he did last season, but turned things around mid-season. Grachev is once again thought of as a top prospect. [snip] LW Carl Hagelin continued dominating college, almost leading the team to the national championship as a captain. [snip] Another player I like is RW Dale Weise. [snip] Hartford defensemen Pavel Valentenko and Tomas Kundratek also continued to improving and will be fighting for a spot on the Rangers roster next season.
So according to this article, the rookies who are outperforming expectations aren't Ranger rookies at all. They're prospects.

I won't even go into the writer's characterization of Callahan and Dubinsky as "great top-6 forwards." I'll merely say that his understanding of "greatness" and mine are widely divergent.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 12:14 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
I'd say A-.

Considering the injuries, the lack of production by key players, and the average age of our defense, it's tough to give this season anything less than a B imho.

Agree.

I'd give it B+ or A-. Positives outweight negatives by uite a large margin. IMO we were 50-50 shot at making playoffs this season and we made it despite Canes and Sabres playing excellent hockey down the stretch. 93 points would've made us a #6 seed 12 months ago.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 12:51 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
B, B-.

Younger players established themselves and progressed. Happy about that.

At the end of the day, we barely made the second season and went out in five games. Plenty of reasons for that, but still, can't give it more than a B because of it.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 08:48 AM
number71*

C+ This team left me completely underwhelmed with the playoff performance and how they qualified for post season in the first place

number71* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 07:56 PM
bleetch2c

B +

A lot of good things came out of this year including the rookies, especially Step, McD and Sauer, Callahan made some huge leaps this year (when healthy), Girardi and Staal established themselves as a true number 1 pairing, and of course Henrik just continues to amaze. I know we have some huge holes, but Im excited about the direction of this team.

bleetch2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 08:00 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
B+.

Exceeded expectations, and yet was a disappointment at the same time.
Exactly. Although I'd probably say an even B. Before the season started this team was no better than a 50/50 shot to make the playoffs. The fact that they did makes it at least a small success. That the wheels fell apart losing Callahan and losing vs. the Caps the way they did makes is a small disappointment.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 08:01 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

B+

Gaborik, IMO, is the only player on this team that underachieved.

Dubi and Cally made great strides, Stepan looked far more comfortable than I expected he would. Ditto for McD and Sauer. Staal was a stud all season but I think the minutes wore down at him towards the end which is something I expected.

Anisimov established that he has strength and the ability to use his frame along the boards. Once he fills out he'll be a great secondary option at center. Boyle overachieved. Prust is Prust.

Only disappointment for me was Del Zotto but those types of things happen.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 08:10 PM
Canjo
AVA

B+ We still didnt break out of our never bursting bubble of mediocrity, we obviously have alot of problems (PP, offense in general, etc.), but, as cliched as it is, the future is bright, we already knew that, but several rookie appearances have backed that up. and although we arent really alot better than last year, we at least got to the playoffs, and won one game, so...

Canjo is offline   Reply With Quote