HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

POTG & GBR: ECQF Game 5 @ Washington Capitals

View Poll Results: Player of the Game: ECQF Game 5 @ Washington Capitals
Sean Avery 13 15.48%
Brandon Dubinsky 1 1.19%
Matt Gilroy 2 2.38%
Dan Girardi 7 8.33%
Henrik Lundqvist 47 55.95%
Ryan McDonagh 1 1.19%
Brandon Prust 1 1.19%
Michael Sauer 1 1.19%
Marc Staal 2 2.38%
Wojtek Wolski 1 1.19%
Other 8 9.52%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-23-2011, 06:46 PM
clmetsfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Semin: 12th overall
Green (I'm assuming this is who you mean, even though he's gotten 76 points one time): 29th overall
Backstrom: 4th overall, behind Toews, Staal and Erik Johnson
Come on man, don't feed that troll.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 06:47 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
no excuses. Everyone knows Hank is good, but he isn't great! he doesn't come up big in big games! He melts. All i'm saying is that Miller stole two games for his team, and that's what a great goalie does.

we needed Henrik to stand on his head this series to win. Miller has for his team, who are very similar to the NYR.
Well, in all honesty, there is a reason Henrik has a gold medal and Miller doesn't. Lundqvist came up huge for Sweden. Miller was fantastic for team USA, unreal, but the goal he let up against Crosby was soft. Lundqvist didn't let up a soft goal against Finland.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 06:47 PM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Really mature responses.

Bottom line is, Henrik performed well in the playoffs. Could he have done better? I don't think so. I don't think there was one goal that beat him that he would want back.

Miller has done excellent. He also got slammed a few games. The difference is, Miller has goal support to work with.

But I have no problem saying that Miller is better in the playoffs. I think Miller might be the best goalie in the NHL come the post season. But Henrik is not the reason the Rangers got eliminated. He played excellent. He literally kept them in EVERY game. The Rangers couldn't capitalize on some of his gem performances. The Rangers are just a mediocre team, plain and simple. Not on the Capitals level. Dominik Hasek wouldn't have saved this team.

I firmly believe that the Sabres are a better team too. Vanek and Stafford have out performed any of our forwards by a large margin this season. I think Myers is a dominant defense man, better than any single defense man on our team. They have more offensive depth and a more balanced defense. I also think Lindy Ruff is a better coach than Torts.
Thank you!

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 06:51 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

In all, this was a terrific season for the Rangers. They showed the most heart and guts than any other Ranger team that I've seen in a long time.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 06:52 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Four3 View Post
And had he stole one game, what else of it? The scoring would still be nonexistent, the powerplay would still be lackluster...but no, this goalie has to steal a game.

After stealing one game, it would be that he has to steal a series. Once that is through, he would have to steal a cup.

Trading him shouldn't be a problem since a few weeks ago you had no problem seeing him off of this team, and I really do hope this comes to fruition because as much as your thick head can't grasp it, since the lockout, that goaltending position has always been our only good constant on this team.

It's exactly people like you that wanted Jagr off this team, got what they wanted and look what we have to show for it 3 seasons since.
you just can't get past the fact that another goalie on squad similiar to ours, did what he had to do to keep his team in the series. You're going to all these other areas to save face, but the facts are the facts. Miller was lights out when he had to be. Hank wasn't. Lol Jagr?

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 06:54 PM
Fataldogg

I don't think there were a lot of positives to come from this game. We came out flat. Washington absolutely dominated the first. Got the crowd into the game right away too. We couldn't generate many legitimate scoring chances either. Really weak effort I thought. The only game I felt that we gave Neuvirth any work was Game 4. He had it extremely easy this series. That's a testament to the Capitals defense though.

The Rangers need to obtain Brad Richards over the off-season, and acquire an offensive defense man (perhaps Pitkanen). Those two acquisitions can substantially improve our team. Also, another top-6 winger couldn't hurt. We have far too many grinders on this team. I'd let some of them walk.

Old
04-23-2011, 06:56 PM
3Four3

Quote:
you just can't get past the fact that another goalie on squad similiar to ours, did what he had to do to keep his team in the series. You're going to all these other areas to save face, but the facts are the facts. Miller was lights out when he had to be. Hank wasn't. Lol Jagr?
I'm going all over the place? This team couldn't score if they had a dollar hanging out of their pockets with a .69 cent hooker in the room.

You haven't even admitted and called out our offense. At the end of the day, you could have a killer defense and a lights-out goalie but there still needs to be a puck behind the net.

But yes, Lundqvist is the "obvious" reason we lost.

Don't worry, I'm in your boat: Trade Lundqvist.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 06:56 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
I don't think any of your arguments have been all that compelling above "blah LoL Miller > Lundqvist" thats all I have been reading. You need to look at the big picture. If you think the Rangers are as good as the Sabres, than you can't see that picture. We're an extremely mediocre team.

Old
04-23-2011, 07:07 PM
clmetsfan

Ignore lists are expanding all over the board!

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 07:09 PM
msv957

Quote:
no excuses. Everyone knows Hank is good, but he isn't great! he doesn't come up big in big games! He melts. All i'm saying is that Miller stole two games for his team, and that's what a great goalie does.

we needed Henrik to stand on his head this series to win. Miller has for his team, who are very similar to the NYR.
I hate to agree with this post but you are right. Hank needed to be great this series and he was not. However, I would not say he melted.

Hank is a real good goalie and so is Miller. In fact, there are quite a few really good goalies in the NHL right now.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 07:10 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
lol, why do you say that? I hope you'll be getting a well deserved infraction!
Well actually blaming this series on Hank is gonna bring comments like that...there are a whole list of people way ahead of Hank on the blame list

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 07:13 PM
mjolnir13

Quote:
The Rangers need to obtain Brad Richards over the off-season, and acquire an offensive defense man (perhaps Pitkanen). Those two acquisitions can substantially improve our team. Also, another top-6 winger couldn't hurt. We have far too many grinders on this team. I'd let some of them walk.
I agree about the grinders, however, two players are not going to make this team better than it is, even if they are upgrades. Richards is an UFA and just finished a contract that paid him $7.8M and he'll want a raise. Not here. (THANKFULLY, the Rangers have cap issues and need to sign their own players first...).

What the Rangers need to do is figure out a PP system that works. Constantly changing the players and bringing in one "powerplay quarterback" after another does not cut it. You can't QB something that doesn't exist.

mjolnir13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 07:22 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Semin: 12th overall
Green (I'm assuming this is who you mean, even though he's gotten 76 points one time): 29th overall
Backstrom: 4th overall, behind Toews, Staal and Erik Johnson
So you just proved the Ranger posters point...your team had 3 or 4 sub 30 win seasons.

Which resulted in some very high 1st round picks...the OP said the Rangers should build the right way...so exactly what was your point in posting here?

Now go home and get your shine box

Old
04-23-2011, 07:23 PM
Provolone*

People ragging on hank.

This was the only series where neither goalie imploded. Do you people even watch other teams games? And we all know why Neuvirth didn't blow up, he had boyle backhands coming at him at a blistering 26mph.

These stats: GAA 2.08 Save% .922 (not including todays game), Win playoff series on any other team.

Sorry, but he was great this series.

Provolone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 07:34 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
I hate to agree with this post but you are right. Hank needed to be great this series and he was not. However, I would not say he melted.

Hank is a real good goalie and so is Miller. In fact, there are quite a few really good goalies in the NHL right now.
I would parse it this way: Is Hank better than Neuvirth? I suspect that the vast majority outside of Washington would take Lundqvist if they were to have their choice.

The Caps are the better team. Period. The better, more talented team generally beats the better more talented goalie. It was exactly the same when Varlamov "beat" Lundqvist two years ago.

Want Hank to beat the Caps? Give him the Caps' talent. Ovechkin's goal today showed exactly what the Rangers lack.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 07:38 PM
RangerBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provolone View Post
People ragging on hank.

This was the only series where neither goalie imploded. Do you people even watch other teams games? And we all know why Neuvirth didn't blow up, he had boyle backhands coming at him at a blistering 26mph.

These stats: GAA 2.08 Save% .922 (not including todays game), Win playoff series on any other team.

Sorry, but he was great this series.
It's easy to hate up on the guy that stands between us and a top five pick every season.

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 07:46 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
So you just proved the Ranger posters point...your team had 3 or 4 sub 30 win seasons.

Which resulted in some very high 1st round picks...the OP said the Rangers should build the right way...so exactly what was your point in posting here?

Now go home and get your shine box
Yes, getting superstars at 29 and 12 is having them fall in your lap.

Al Montoya, Hugh Jessiman, Dan Blackburn are examples of how it's impossible to not get a superstar at 12 or better. To say nothing of 29.

I'm not even trying to rag on your drafting (no pun intended), it's been better. But to say we had everything fall in our lap is ridiculous. GMGM has drafted extremely well, so well in fact that ESPN recently compared Edmonton's draft failures to our draft successes.

It's not like we had 4 straight years of top 2 picks. That's lap-falling. We were the worst team screwed in the Crosby lottery and didn't even get an NHL player out of a draft year where we had the worst record in the season most recently played.

No need to be so defensive. Draft forwards, get a bottom pairing who can play some minutes and you'll be right there in your division for as long Hank is playing.

04-23-2011, 07:54 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Four3 View Post
I'm going all over the place? This team couldn't score if they had a dollar hanging out of their pockets with a .69 cent hooker in the room.

You haven't even admitted and called out our offense. At the end of the day, you could have a killer defense and a lights-out goalie but there still needs to be a puck behind the net.

But yes, Lundqvist is the "obvious" reason we lost.

Don't worry, I'm in your boat: Trade Lundqvist.

you didn't read me writing trade Lundqvist anywhere, but that's the way this forum goes; one extreme to the other. I will call out our offense 100%. Winning in the playoffs is about matchups, and even though we were outclassed offensively, I believed we played the kind of style that could have upset the Caps. I still do. The Caps got some calls in this series that got them back into a few games, but they were the better team.

We needed Hank to steal some games for us. he played very good, however at the end of the day I didn't come away feeling that Hank played the best he could have, or that he was at a level that he wasn't at before. That's what would have been needed to win this series. You say i'm blaming it on Hank. yes and no i guess...

Quote:
I don't think any of your arguments have been all that compelling above "blah LoL Miller > Lundqvist" thats all I have been reading. You need to look at the big picture. If you think the Rangers are as good as the Sabres, than you can't see that picture. We're an extremely mediocre team.
I do see the big picture, but this is a GDT! I'm speaking specifically about how things went down in this series. How much better team are the Sabres than the Rangers? Not that much, i don't think. We were two team facing opponents that outmatched us offensively.
I'm just making the point that as good as Henrik is, he didn't play his best, nor steal any games for us, and that what would have been necessary to win this series.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 08:05 PM
Doyle

Caps Dominate at Both Ends, Eliminating Rangers

http://nhlhotstove.com/caps-dominate...ating-rangers/

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 08:26 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Yes, getting superstars at 29 and 12 is having them fall in your lap.

Al Montoya, Hugh Jessiman, Dan Blackburn are examples of how it's impossible to not get a superstar at 12 or better. To say nothing of 29.

I'm not even trying to rag on your drafting (no pun intended), it's been better. But to say we had everything fall in our lap is ridiculous. GMGM has drafted extremely well, so well in fact that ESPN recently compared Edmonton's draft failures to our draft successes.

It's not like we had 4 straight years of top 2 picks. That's lap-falling. We were the worst team screwed in the Crosby lottery and didn't even get an NHL player out of a draft year where we had the worst record in the season most recently played.

No need to be so defensive. Draft forwards, get a bottom pairing who can play some minutes and you'll be right there in your division for as long Hank is playing.
Caps have had 3 Top 5 picks in the last 7 drafts? Guess what that what consecutive sub-30 win seasons get you...Want to try again?
Probably want to go back to the Caps board and discuss how Bebe Newirth otplayed Henrik
Prob

Old
04-23-2011, 08:46 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

At the end of the day, the Caps have Oven Chicken. If they didn't they'd be an average team or worse. So, yes those high picks do pay off.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:16 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
I thought Cally already WAS a top-6, I mentioned Boyle as "most improved", Prust's first full season was better earlier (what part are you not getting?), and Gilroy was clearly better than McD in this series.

Do you think I'm saying that Gilroy is "better" than Cally? lol
Last year Callahan had 37 points in 77 games, below .5 ppg. This year he had 48 in 62. That's not improvement? You're clueless.

Gilroy was clearly inferior in this series. How you possibly see it any other way blows the mind. He was averaging like 6 less minutes then McDonagh. Oh but right, he scored a goal! Once again you're clueless.

I don't give a flying **** if Prust was better in the first half. His 2nd half was still 100x better then anything he did up until this point in his career.

Good god.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:19 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Caps have had 3 Top 5 picks in the last 7 drafts? Guess what that what consecutive sub-30 win seasons get you...Want to try again?
Probably want to go back to the Caps board and discuss how Bebe Newirth otplayed Henrik
Prob
Other teams with three top 5 picks in the last 7 drafts:

Pittsburgh, Chicago, and LA.

Notice a trend?

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:11 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
Hey, much respect to the Rangers team. If you throw in Callahan, Richards, and maybe another young scoring forward or so, and I think you've really got something.

Henrik really is better than all the hype, and he's a joy to watch.

I'm certain we'll see your young nucleus keep building and only continue to improve.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:14 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
Other teams with three top 5 picks in the last 7 drafts:

Pittsburgh, Chicago, and LA.

Notice a trend?
LA doesn't deserve to be there, but other than that, it's pretty clear that several top-5 draft picks can certainly help towards building a team, although Atlanta, Columbus, and Florida say hi.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote