HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Dan Girardi

Old
04-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Cause much like this thread, people are constantly looking at players to bring one glaring obvious trait that we can all hang our hat on. With Girardi its never been a wow factor, the guy just gets the job done. I hate our current ownership and Sather regime but with Girardi they struck gold ! A minute eater on defense that was acquired for nothing and brought along with patience. That's my kind of managing.
Actually, I disagree with you a bit here. Girardi was GOOD in juniors but not GREAT. Some around the league were even surprised we signed him to a contract instead of a tryout.

Take a guy like Sauer -- Sauer was a very, very good player in juniors. But he never wow'd anyone. He just went out there and shut down people and played a solid defensive game.

Girardi was never as good as Sauer was in his junior days. He developed exponentially, though, over the years. I look at him as someone who was never fully able to put together his game but really took it to the next level with proper training and development. I don't know if Girardi would have become who he was today on a team such as, say, the Blue Jackets.

I find Girardi to be a truly fascinating case. Especially with how he played in juniors and what he has become today.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I never said he was great in juniors. Obviously he showed something, someone would have never taken a shot at him like the countless other Dmen who went undrafted that year and never became anything.

I get what you are saying about Sauer, but he was a 2nd round pick though, you don't take a 2nd rounder and say 'hes okay I guess'. He obviously wows you in some regard if you're taking him with a top two round pick.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 03:21 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
You watch Ranger games? He plays 30 minutes a night against the best forwards in the league and has kept Ovechkin in check this whole series...
Ovechkin has 4 points in 4 games. I'm not saying they've done a bad job of defending him but they haven't stopped him.

You forget that not only does Girardi have the luxury of playing in front of arguably the best goaltender in the league, not only does he play on the same pair with a better defensive defenseman, but he also has a lot fewer responsibilities than other first-pair defensemen do.

He basically doesn't have to worry about providing offense. It's not in his repertoire. His first pass is adequate, but hardly spectacular.

Girardi is very solid at what he does. But he doesn't do something that this team desperately needs, while there are other, cheaper, younger, and potentially better players who can and will be capable of doing what he does do.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 03:28 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Girardi is very solid at what he does. But he doesn't do something that this team desperately needs, while there are other, cheaper, younger, and potentially better players who can and will be capable of doing what he does do.
With a $3.3 mil cap hit, not many come to mind.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 03:30 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
With a $3.3 mil cap hit, not many come to mind.
Michael Sauer and Ryan McDonagh.

Old
04-22-2011, 03:40 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Michael Sauer and Ryan McDonagh.
I thought we were talking about replacing Girardi with someone from outside the organization.

McDonagh would never play with Staal because they are both left-handed. I don't really see the point in swapping Girardi & Sauer.... Girardi will always put up more points than Sauer. Only reason to move Girardi from his current role would be to replace him with someone who can provide more offense in that position, that's certainly not Sauer.

Girardi has one of the best value contracts in the league when it comes to players with 4+ NHL seasons experience.

Old
04-22-2011, 04:26 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Ovechkin has 4 points in 4 games.
Ovechkin hasn't been a factor, by the way he's only 26, you should appreciate his importance to this team more...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 08:43 PM
Crease

Staal-Girardi is our best pairing since Leetch-Beukeboom.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 12:47 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I thought we were talking about replacing Girardi with someone from outside the organization.

McDonagh would never play with Staal because they are both left-handed. I don't really see the point in swapping Girardi & Sauer.... Girardi will always put up more points than Sauer. Only reason to move Girardi from his current role would be to replace him with someone who can provide more offense in that position, that's certainly not Sauer.

Girardi has one of the best value contracts in the league when it comes to players with 4+ NHL seasons experience.
Not really the point I was making. Yes, you do move Girardi for an upgrade. If you move Girardi you still have Sauer to be a very good defender on the right side.

Also, I don't subscribe to the theory that having a defenseman on his off-hand is necessarily a drawback. It depends on the player. If we could acquire a great left-handed offensive defenseman in a deal where Girardi is part of a package, then you make that deal.

Girardi's great contract doesn't solve one of this team's biggest conundrums: how do you upgrade the offense from the blueline wit minimal damage to current strengths?

Old
04-23-2011, 03:16 PM
DoctorDoak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Why wasn't Girardi drafted?
IIRC, the actual answer to this question is that Girardi was fairly seriously injured in juniors the year he was eligible for the draft. Great value find by the Rangers, or at least my fantasy hockey team thinks so!

DoctorDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 03:37 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
With the way that Girardi has played this PO series, he has a pot on the Rangers 2nd pairing in my book.

May not be a legit #2 defenceman (That belongs to Staal) but he is a legit #3 on any team.

He's played great in this series.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 03:56 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Staal just got beat one on one, the second time this series. GIrardi doesn't get beat like that.

Staal<Girardi

Switch their last names around and it would be a different tale.

Eitherway regarding Girardi he has been our best player this series. He even got the intro "Dan Girardi and his Rangers"

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 04:06 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
Staal just got beat one on one, the second time this series. GIrardi doesn't get beat like that.

Staal<Girardi

Switch their last names around and it would be a different tale.

Eitherway regarding Girardi he has been our best player this series. He even got the intro "Dan Girardi and his Rangers"
Yeas, one play really determines who's better.

And that happens to Girardi much more frequently than it does to Staal. You have provided nothing that proves Girardi is better other than saying "Staal is the big name, which means he's obviously not better".

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

End of Game 1 - Staal's not having a great series. Girardi is. He has more points - I dont get what is so hard to understand

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 04:28 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
There is nothing hard to understand. Staal is better.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 04:36 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
End of Game 1 - Staal's not having a great series. Girardi is. He has more points - I dont get what is so hard to understand
girardi beat pinching. gilroy hasnt been beat pinching tonight.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:33 PM
rody

Ok for all the Girardi haters. this guy played in junior with a broken left hand the whole memorial cup that they shut down Crosby and won.
now he plays injuried and keeps blocking shots. actually him and Staal are warriors they both have played with injuries.
Did you notice how they get the puck out when Girardi is on. No one gives him credit for his out let pass.

rody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:33 PM
gers*

per darren dregers twitter :

Quote:
Girardi dislocated finger in the punch on Laich in the first
Quote:
In addition to dislocation, Girardi required stitches and a needle to freeze the finger so he could return. Tough kid.
****ing tough kid

gers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:35 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rody View Post
Ok for all the Girardi haters. this guy played in junior with a broken left hand the whole memorial cup that they shut down Crosby and won.
now he plays injuried and keeps blocking shots. actually him and Staal are warriors they both have played with injuries.
Did you notice how they get the puck out when Girardi is on. No one gives him credit for his out let pass.
I don't think anyone on these boards hates Girardi...

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:36 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:

Staal<Girardi
Well now I'm convinced!

Old
04-23-2011, 05:37 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Torts calls Dan Girardi "best defenseman in the series...high marks for him"...says he dislocated finger and had x-rays on ankle today
Girardi is a warrior.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 06:35 PM
rody

Finally Girardi is getting some accolades

Old
04-23-2011, 06:43 PM
McNashty
HATERS GON' HATE!

vCash: 827
Send a message via AIM to McNashty Send a message via MSN to McNashty
Only one man could defeat Chuck Norris, that man is Dan Girardi.

McNashty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 06:58 PM
rody

I remember some one mentioning they didn't know about Girardi's battle level. this guy would play through anything. he is a great team player.

Old
04-23-2011, 07:15 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by rody View Post
I remember some one mentioning they didn't know about Girardi's battle level. this guy would play through anything. he is a great team player.
I agree. He is a true warrior. Just a solid, solid, solid NHL defenseman.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote