HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

What needs to be done this offseason?

Old
04-23-2011, 07:13 PM
Rangerfan4life90

vCash: 500
What needs to be done this offseason?

Besides signing Richards being priority obviously

A PP QB (Mccabe is washed up at this point in time), anyone available that won't cost too much? I'm hoping Del Zotto returns back to form next year if he does he's hopefully the answer.

Buyout Drury (it's a shame but Drury is done as a player)

Re-sign Dubi, Cally, Feds (great role player) and Boyle if he doesn't ask for a crazy raise.

EC and Gilroy should be gone and Wolski hopefully is bought out. All 3 may be good in shootouts but just being good at shootouts doesn't warrant a roster spot. EC and Wolski are too inconsistent and Gilroy hasn't panned out

Bring Thomas, Kredier, Grachev, etc. For tryouts during preseason. Hopefully one surprises

Am I missing anything else?

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 07:15 PM
mjolnir13

Yes.

(1) Richards is a nobrainer -- you stay FAR FAR away from him.

(2) What good is a PP QB if you don't have a powerplay to begin with?

mjolnir13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 07:17 PM
polako

Bring back Marek Malik.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 07:17 PM
E Nixson
Powered by Intel

Signing Richards kills two birds with one stone, with PP QB and #1 Center. hard to look that in the face and walk away without offering him a big contract.

E Nixson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 07:20 PM
3Four3

I still think we need someone who has a good, doesn't have to be the best, slapshot. Someone that makes the opposing player second guess themselves about blocking the shot.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 07:20 PM
clmetsfan

I'd keep Christensen and Gilroy if we can do it for very cheap.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 07:21 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

We need more speed.

04-23-2011, 07:27 PM
BringBackLibertys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
We need more speed.
Like Scott Gomez?

What we need is to not over react. Stay the course, it takes time to get good, it doesn't all happen in one year. Bring back Boyle, Dubi, Cally, let Gilroy go. Keep EC as a 13th. Buy out Avery, or bury him. I think it may be time we talk to Drury about becoming an assistant coach or something in return for his retirement.

That's a good start.

Here is the biggest one I have, and it will piss off all the Richard lovers. Do not spend more the $4 mil per on ANY ONE player this free agent period.

Orlando

BringBackLibertys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 07:30 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
Besides signing Richards being priority obviously

A PP QB (Mccabe is washed up at this point in time), anyone available that won't cost too much? I'm hoping Del Zotto returns back to form next year if he does he's hopefully the answer.

Buyout Drury (it's a shame but Drury is done as a player)

Re-sign Dubi, Cally, Feds (great role player) and Boyle if he doesn't ask for a crazy raise.

EC and Gilroy should be gone and Wolski hopefully is bought out. All 3 may be good in shootouts but just being good at shootouts doesn't warrant a roster spot. EC and Wolski are too inconsistent and Gilroy hasn't panned out

Bring Thomas, Kredier, Grachev, etc. For tryouts during preseason. Hopefully one surprises

Am I missing anything else?
Wolski bought out? He is only what... 23 or 24 years old? I wouldn't buy him out, give him another chance next season.

And at this point just hold Drury for one more season then his contract expires. Doesn't make sense to buy him out at this point. Plus, buying out Drury and Wolski would only leave several million $ in dead cap space.

Sign Dubinsky to $2.5-3, sign Callahan for $2.5-3, sign Fedotenko to a 1-year $1 million deal, sign Anisimov to a $1-1.5 contract, if Boyle asks for anything more than $1.5 million than let him walk. If Prospal is willing to jump on board for $1 million again then do it. Re-sign Frolov if he comes at a price tag of $1 million.

Let go of Eminger, Gilroy, McCabe, and potentially Frolov. Move Avery.

Sign Brad Richards to a reasonable contract ($5-6 million), and acquire Joni Pitkanen.

Prospal - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Wolski - Stepan - Zuccarello
Fedotenko - Boyle - Prust

Staal - Girardi
McDonagh - Sauer
Del Zotto - Pitkanen

Lundqvist
Biron

Extras; Drury and Christensen can exchange time with Zuccarello and Boyle. I'm sure we won't see MZA or Boyle play a full 82 games next season. Frolov can potentially be an extra too. We can see, potentially Grachev will get into the line up but I'm not too confident in that. We'll see if Kreider is ready. Hopefully he is. All I do is hear about this kids potential. On defense we can see where McIlrath is with his development.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 07:31 PM
polako

My argument against signing Brad Richards:

Before this season began, did anyone watch a Dallas game and think, 'man, i can't wait until Brad Richards becomes a FA, because could bring the NYR to the next level?"

For most, it was "no." He's benefiting from circumstance, as there are really no great FAs out there this summer. Last year, Kovalchuk was a different story; he was someone worth spending serious cash one. Richards, not so much.

Signing Richards is a repeat of the Gomez and Drury mistakes.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 07:33 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackLibertys View Post
Like Scott Gomez?

What we need is to not over react. Stay the course, it takes time to get good, it doesn't all happen in one year. Bring back Boyle, Dubi, Cally, let Gilroy go. Keep EC as a 13th. Buy out Avery, or bury him. I think it may be time we talk to Drury about becoming an assistant coach or something in return for his retirement.

That's a good start.

Here is the biggest one I have, and it will piss off all the Richard lovers. Do not spend more the $4 mil per on ANY ONE player this free agent period.

Orlando
But we don't have any #1 centers on the team. We don't know where Stepan will be in two or three years or if he even has #1 center potential. #1 centers, legitimate #1 centers, don't come around often. You have to acquire them when they do. He had 227 points in 220 games with his tenure in Dallas. You cannot acquire a center of that aptitude with $4 million. $5 - 6 million, however, would be appropriate. A lack of a #1 center is our biggest deficiency.

Old
04-23-2011, 07:34 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by polako View Post

Before this season began, did anyone watch a Dallas game and think, 'man, i can't wait until Brad Richards becomes a FA, because could bring the NYR to the next level?"

For most, it was "no." He's benefiting from circumstance, as there are really no great FAs out there this summer. Last year, Kovalchuk was a different story; he was someone worth spending serious cash one. Richards, not so much.

Yes, I did.

His playmaking and ability to QB a powerplay is amazing. He fills both needs and has yet to shown any signs of slowing down.

I am not sure if he will have a decline like Drury did but at the same time, this is a lot different than Gomez and Drury for the sole reason that in their prime they were both 60 point players, Richards is an 80-90 point player.

04-23-2011, 07:34 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
We need more speed.
That's another weakness that should be addressed but probably won't be. Our defense is painfully slow outside of McD and Gilroy.

Our forwards aren't quick enough either. In today's game and throughout most of the series, I noticed that we were getting beat to rebounds by the speedier Caps.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 07:35 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:

Except when did Gomez and Drury have 90+ point seasons. When did Gomez and Drury win a Conn Smythe? Richards has had 9 seasons with 60+ points, 6 seasons with 70+ points, and 2 seasons with 90+ points. If he had not been injured this year he could have had back to back 90 point seasons. He is at a much higher level than Gomez or Drury.

Old
Hockey2000nyr

Christensen is signed for another year at i believe 900k.

Gilroy would be nice to resign if he signs for lower then his existing contract.

I keep Wolski for two reasons, one being that he has had success in the NHL before, and he has talent, if torts can get him to play well night in and night out that rozy trade will look like a true steal.

I go after Richards and solve two problems with one player

I make sure to resign all of our RFA's, Cally, Dubi, Boyle, Anisimov, Sauer.

I bring back fedotenko but tell him that he is competing for a spot and he doesnt have it down.

In training camp i give Grachev, Thomas, Werek, Hagelin and Kreider(if he signs) that they all have a chance to make the team but have to earn their spots.

I tell Del Zotto, Gilroy, Valentenko the same thing as well, and not giving Del Zotto that long of a leash this year.

I buyout drury, and give the C to Ryan Callahan, Marc Staal hangs on to the A, and i give the other A to Brandon Dubinsky.

I say bye to Frolov, Prospal (hopefully he retires, hes an awesome player, but he is just soo slow now after his knee problems) and McCabe.

And another thing. Be realistic on the money that Dubinsky and Callahan are going to look for. Those two guys i can see getting 3-4 mil for 4-5 years each. they are core guys and they have earned the pay raise, just like Staal and Girardi have

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Stay the course. Don't do anything to improve the 2011-12 Rangers. Go for the Cup a couple of years after that.

We are very close to having a Cup contender, but we need to stay the course.

1) Get rid of our free agent signings (Avery, Drury) after the next season, it's not as if we can use the cap space to win the Cup. No need to get buy them out and have the cap hit go into 2012-13.

2) If you can trade Gabby for someone young, do it. Not because he had a bad season, but because he's too injured to last long enough for our youth to mature.

3) Draft high-risk, high-return prospects like Christian Thomas and Jesper Fasth who have first line potential.

4) Trade age for youth where possible, though we don't have much age left.

5) Trade players who aren't part of the team's long term future - like Christensen - for mid to late round draft picks. More picks = more chances to pull a rabbit out of a hat.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 07:37 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:

Kovalchuk > Richards >>>>> Drury, Gomez

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 07:37 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:

This. Thank you!

Exactly what I thought. Can't believe people want to overpay for another 31-year-old UFA, and yes, he WILL be overpaid because to sign a star UFA, you need to outbid the the rest of the league.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 07:38 PM
BringBackLibertys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
But we don't have any #1 centers on the team. We don't know where Stepan will be in two or three years or if he even has #1 center potential. #1 centers, legitimate #1 centers, don't come around often. You have to acquire them when they do. He had 227 points in 220 games with his tenure in Dallas. You cannot acquire a center of that aptitude with $4 million. $5 - 6 million, however, would be appropriate. A lack of a #1 center is our biggest deficiency.
While I understand that you feel this is what we need, I argue that both Drury and Gomez were our last two attempts at "acquiring" a number 1 center. I like our chances with Stepan to be honest.

82 21 24 45 20 +8 - Stepan

82 21 41 62 14 -10 - Richards

Seems pretty comparable to me.

BringBackLibertys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 07:39 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
This. Thank you!

Exactly what I thought. Can't believe people want to overpay for another 31-year-old UFA, and yes, he WILL be overpaid because to sign a star UFA, you need to outbid the the rest of the league.
Not necessarily. The Rangers really don't have to outbid anyone because the list of teams that will go after Richards will be short.

This is more mainly what Richards want to do, all contracts are going to be in the same range.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 07:39 PM
3Four3

Quote:

To be fair, one is a goal scorer, the other is a playmaker.

Also, Kovalchuk played in 81 games and managed 60 points. Richards played in 9 less games and still managed 17 more points.

Another thing, Drury never got 70 points. Gomez has but that was only due to him having one stellar season. 70 points for Richards, when healthy, isn't out of the question.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 07:40 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:

*raises hand*

It's not that there are no great FAs, it's that Richards is the ONLY great FA. I don't know why so many people think that he's not a true star player. He already has a pair of 90-point seasons under his belt, he's only 30 years old, and his worst PPG rate in his career was .76, which he put up his first two years in the league.

I can't remember the last time there was a player available who was a better fit for our team. We need a top-line center, a true playmaker, and Richards fits that bill in every way.

Old
04-23-2011, 07:41 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:

Yes, I did. He's an elite 1st line center and PPQB, and it just so happens that's what we need.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 07:41 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Four3 View Post
To be fair, one is a goal scorer, the other is a playmaker.

Also, Kovalchuk played in 81 games and managed 60 points. Richards played in 9 less games and still managed 17 more points.

Another thing, Drury never got 70 points. Gomez has but that was only due to him having one stellar season. 70 points for Richards, when healthy, isn't out of the question.
All true, except for the bolded part. 70 points for Richards, when healthy, is a disappointment. That's how good this guy is.

Old
04-23-2011, 07:42 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:

benefitting from circumstance? Eriksson was a 30 point player before Richards got there, then he turns into a 70 point player...thats called benefitting from Circumstance. This season only Stamkos and Henrik Sedin had more points by a center than Richards...Last season? Stamkos, Crosby, Backstrom & Sedin. Those are all elite players, and so is Brad Richards.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote