HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Now THAT, folks, was a performance!

Closed Thread

Old
10-13-2003, 08:24 AM
Street Hawk

vCash: 500
Why wait for Worrell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Joe
Osgood played awesome tonight , he won the game for the Blues . The next time these 2 teams play is December 26th , after the cheap shot Pronger did on Kariya ; There's no other day the Avs would love a rematch .

December 26th - Boxing Day
What surprised me about the incident with Pronger is that Blake, someone of equal talent and toughness didn't fight him right away?

Blake was within 2 meters of Pronger when Kariya got cross checked. Why didn't Blakey show some team toughness and take on Pronger right then and there? Don't wimp out Blake and wait for your enforcer, cause the only guy he'll end up fighting is Reid Low, not Chris Pronger. Pronger is smart enough to not allow himself to get drawn into a fight with Worrell. If Pronger is to go off for 5 minutes for fighting, he'll take a Foote or Blake with him to the penalty box.

It was a dirty stick by Pronger, but until someone from the Avs steps up to stop him, he won't stop.

As a Canuck fan, I was proud to see Jovo bust up Isbister after Izzy nailed Linden into the boards. It was early in the season and Jovo definately sent a message to the rest of the league. The Avs didn't send a message that they would stick up for one another.

Old
10-13-2003, 08:39 AM
Nick Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk
What surprised me about the incident with Pronger is that Blake, someone of equal talent and toughness didn't fight him right away?

Blake was within 2 meters of Pronger when Kariya got cross checked. Why didn't Blakey show some team toughness and take on Pronger right then and there? Don't wimp out Blake and wait for your enforcer, cause the only guy he'll end up fighting is Reid Low, not Chris Pronger. Pronger is smart enough to not allow himself to get drawn into a fight with Worrell. If Pronger is to go off for 5 minutes for fighting, he'll take a Foote or Blake with him to the penalty box.

It was a dirty stick by Pronger, but until someone from the Avs steps up to stop him, he won't stop.

As a Canuck fan, I was proud to see Jovo bust up Isbister after Izzy nailed Linden into the boards. It was early in the season and Jovo definately sent a message to the rest of the league. The Avs didn't send a message that they would stick up for one another.

I dont think there is one member of the St. Louis Blues that would stand there and allow Pronger to get into a fight with anyone.

Old
10-13-2003, 08:42 AM
execwrite

Pronger is best when he's nasty. But I do hope he avoids a fight because of his wrist. His teammates need to cover for him if the gloves drop, but at some point Pronger probably will have to fight.

Chris - please stick to left jabs only.

Old
10-13-2003, 09:38 AM
austroduck

.....congrats to your boy pronger.... nice check on kariya....

and kariya´s wife already complained bout it... bla bla bla.....

Old
10-13-2003, 01:40 PM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
I think that shot and that final pass is exactly the reason why that line isn't producing. Coach Q needs to face the reality that Mayers isn't an offensive player and put Heerema with Weight and Sejna.
I'm in agreement with both you and Nick on Mayers. His speed was invaluable in breaking up plays against the Avs, but he did suck the life out of the offense of that line. Against a lesser team, I don't think there's any need for Mayers with Weight, but he did do a great job in a defensive role for the Blues against a strong team. And I don't think Heerema has earned Q's confidence to put him out there that much anyway. I can live with that decision because Mayers' defense was so good that it countered his horrid hands.

Old
10-13-2003, 01:47 PM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite
It's not pretty but it's Gordie Howe style hockey. The message sent was don't come dancing through the middle of my ice. Guys are going to stay away from the Blues net when Pronger and Jackman are there all season long.
What's actually going to happen is the opposing teams will drive the net and draw penalties if they know those two are going to do stuff like that. I like it rough and tumble, but it was after the play and unnecessary. If he wanted to send a message, he should have punished Kariya while the play was still happening and then maybe he wouldn't have scored the goal in the first place. And if he did it during the PK itself, there's a better chance the refs would let it go. Doing it after the play accomplishes nothing as far as I see it.

Old
10-13-2003, 03:48 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22
What's actually going to happen is the opposing teams will drive the net and draw penalties if they know those two are going to do stuff like that. I like it rough and tumble, but it was after the play and unnecessary. If he wanted to send a message, he should have punished Kariya while the play was still happening and then maybe he wouldn't have scored the goal in the first place. And if he did it during the PK itself, there's a better chance the refs would let it go. Doing it after the play accomplishes nothing as far as I see it.
Not saying what he did was smart because it was a tight game, but as been said before Prongs plays better when he plays on the edge and I think he just snapped because he saw Jackman get knocked down directly leading to the Av goal and he blasted Kariya. He got the two minutes he deserved and like has also been said it just lets Kariya know that thee is a price to be paid for that area of the ice. Hockey is a rough game and stuff like that is going to happen.

Old
10-13-2003, 06:23 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Props to the Blues. The Avs were outplayed, outhustled, and most importantly, outcoached. Granato better do more than just throw the top two lines out there, injuries or not.

Props to Osgood as well, but the Avs did their best to make him look good. Most of the Avs' 40 shots were right in his chest.

Old
10-14-2003, 07:00 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican
Props to the Blues. The Avs were outplayed, outhustled, and most importantly, outcoached. Granato better do more than just throw the top two lines out there, injuries or not.

Props to Osgood as well, but the Avs did their best to make him look good. Most of the Avs' 40 shots were right in his chest.
The aves don't have more then 2 lines. I think Depth will be a huge issues for them this year. The 3rd line was clearly outplayed by the Blues 3rd line. I only saw the 4th line out there once...

As for Meyers, he used his speed alot out there. Yeah, he missed badly on his breakaway, but I think he will improve as time goes on. The Blues put D first this game and I think the O creativity was hurt by it, (Make safe play first).

Not sure Hereema is the answer on the 2nd line. Not overly impressed w/ his play. (He stunk up the PP and looked lost on it) Didn't move around to get open....

Old
10-15-2003, 05:30 AM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican
Most of those 40 shots were from bad angles, not out in front. I counted 14 shots from between the posts to the faceoff dots and across, 6 from outside the zone or behind the net, and another 7 on the sides. Lots of shots, but not too many "good" shots.