HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stepan: Playoffs MIA

Old
04-23-2011, 08:43 PM
dynamoovechkin

vCash: 500
Stepan: Playoffs MIA

I really like the kid, and was super happy about his rookie season. Smart, skilled player with loads of upside.

Now I realize he's a rook, but the kid was known for being a big game player before he got here and then was invisible in the playoffs. He got decent icetime and time on the PP and just did not show up, he really gave us zero.

Overall I am optimistic about our future and see this year as a year where our identity was forged to a large extent.

Just really disappointed in Step's play in the playoffs. He was a non-entity- maybe our worst player in the 5 games.

Thoughts?

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 08:46 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamoovechkin View Post
Thoughts?
I think you're about to get flamed.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 08:46 PM
KaraLupin
카라

I think this has alot to do with that it's his rookie season, and first time in NHL playoffs. He is young and maybe burned out towards the end of the season, and as this was his first time, probably felt out the type of grind you need to be successful in the post season.

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 08:47 PM
turcotte8

He played twice the number of games he's been used to. Just ran out of gas, happens to most first year guys from college.

turcotte8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

You have got to be kidding me...

blueshirt4lyfe

This was the longest season he's probably ever played, so he definitely might have been gassed at this point. Couple that with it being the playoffs, where space on the ice is hard to come by and the intensity is at its point and it may have been a bit overwhelming for him.

That's why it was a good thing for us to make the playoffs, let these guys experience the atmosphere so that the next time around they're ready for it.

blueshirt4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Zil

He's a rookie. They didn't give him any time and space. While not exceptional, I do think he made some nice passing plays throughout the series. He's got the offseason to improve now. Maybe he goes to the WCs and convinces Kreider to go pro.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 08:49 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
He played twice the number of games he's been used to. Just ran out of gas, happens to most first year guys from college.
this^ He was gassed

Swept In Seven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 08:49 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

He's a rookie. I'll give him credit for playing 87 games. He didn't do much in the playoffs, but he did try. Lots of players were nonexistent in the playoffs, some of which have more experience and talent than Stepan. He got a taste of the NHL playoff style and maybe he'll do better his next time around.

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 08:51 PM
clmetsfan

Stepan was most definitely MIA this series, but as others have pointed out, he was understandably spent. 41 games last year against college competition, 87 this year against the best in the world.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 08:52 PM
mike14

I'd agree he was probably the worst forward, but as been mentioned he's a rookie and was likely completely gassed. Hopefully he's learned some lessons from playing in the post season and continue to grow

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 08:54 PM
OverTheCap

Prepare to be blasted like I was on the GDT, and my assessment of him wasn't as harsh. I agree that he did not have a good playoffs and I was expecting a little bit more from him.

That being said, he is a rookie and is not used to playing so many games. I think we may have been spoiled, because when players like Dubi and Cally made their playoff debuts as rookies, they made an impact right away. But Stepan is younger than they were, and they didn't have to make a transition from college to the NHL.

However, I think Stepan could really benefit from taking skating lessons with Barb Underhill like Boyle did last summer. Skating and faceoffs are two things he could really improve upon this summer.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Ail
k.

Sucks he didn't contribute like some of the other rookies have been, but he is tired. I'm not too concerned.

04-23-2011, 08:59 PM
darko

I too think he was gassed . Played 87 games after playing only 40-odd last year.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:04 PM
John Torturella

Even though his offense was non-existent, he still played responsible hockey. The reason we lost is not because a 21 yr old rookie didnt show up. Thats pretty normal for the NHL. The reason we lost is because Marian 'The Soft Slovak' was essentially a no-show. Well, except when he put the puck in our own net.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:09 PM
92hatchattack

I am not so happy with the way that Torts seems to be developing these kids. Sure, he gives them ice time and they mature and grow stronger, but i really feel like he is stifling their creativity. Stepan and Zucca broke into the league and were doing great creative things when they first got into the lineup. I feel like Torts only game plan was "TO WORK HARD" and feel like he may have discouraged Stepan and Zucca from doing the things that made them good players.

92hatchattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:12 PM
McMonster

he needs to add some weight... he was getting pushed around too easily.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:20 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamoovechkin View Post
I really like the kid, and was super happy about his rookie season. Smart, skilled player with loads of upside.

Now I realize he's a rook, but the kid was known for being a big game player before he got here and then was invisible in the playoffs. He got decent icetime and time on the PP and just did not show up, he really gave us zero.

Overall I am optimistic about our future and see this year as a year where our identity was forged to a large extent.

Just really disappointed in Step's play in the playoffs. He was a non-entity- maybe our worst player in the 5 games.

Thoughts?
Frankly, the only player to show up the whole series was Lundqvist. I can't think of a single player that showed up every game in the series. Boyle was MIA. Dubinsky was MIA for most of it. Anisimov? Gaborik? Both MIA.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:25 PM
3Four3

I can't fault Stepan. Like others have said, he is a rookie.

The plus side is that he's been introduced to playoff play as well OT in the playoffs.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:29 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

He wasn't the only one MIA.

BroadwayBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:47 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

He was MIA for most of the second half of the season, as well. I don't care about his 20 goals. No passing, no vision, none of what made him the highly-touted prospect that he rightly was. The kid's game changed for the worse this season, and I'm very disappointed. I don't know who is to blame: him or Johnny Cakes, but whoever decided that he's better as a goalscorer made the wrong decision, because he isn't.

I'm far less concerned about his slow skating speed or about the fact that he ran out of gas than I am about the fact that he showed hardly any of the playmaking traits that got him here in the first place.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:48 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

"He's a rook".

The end.

Florida Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:49 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

needs to get faster and stronger. definitely ran outta gas..not just the amount of games, but the playing style definitely wore him down.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:49 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
He was MIA for most of the second half of the season, as well. I don't care about his 20 goals. No passing, no vision, none of what made him the highly-touted prospect that he rightly was. The kid's game changed for the worse this season, and I'm very disappointed. I don't know who is to blame: him or Johnny Cakes, but whoever decided that he's better as a goalscorer made the wrong decision, because he isn't.

I'm far less concerned about his slow skating speed or about the fact that he ran out of gas than I am about the fact that he showed hardly any of the playmaking traits that got him here in the first place.
who was he playing with though? who are these natural finishers we had him paired with? Wolski and MZA? pfffttt.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:51 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
id be worried if he played 82 games before but he hasnt.

i think Stepan played ok, looked tired but he always works hard.

gaborik on the other hand was invisible.

fedotenko had a good series, please Sather bring him back

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote